CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, no. The government has already determined that the most at risk- the elderly, those with severe comorbidities, and first responders- will get it first. Sorry.

Perhaps you missed in my post where I said first responders and health care workers .....That's 20 million total. Even if you stop right there and don't include their families, (I don't think they will) then there are enough for 5 million more left. Well we can't even finish up the most vulnerable with 5 million. Even if you assume the well to do and well connected won't get their mitts on any (I don't) then enough doses for 25 million people doesn't even get us past those most vulnerable.
It's really simple math. With a population of 328 million and enough doses for 25 million, that leaves 303 million people, the vast majority, of the population at the back of the line That's 92% of the population, the vast majority right at the back of the line along with those the poster tried to dismiss. I am very much right. But then again Math always did like me best.

Perhaps you missed in my post where I said first responders and health care workers .....That's 20 million total. Even if you stop right there and don't include their families, (I don't think they will) then there are enough for 5 million more left. Well we can't even finish up the most vulnerable with 5 million. Even if you assume the well to do and well connected won't get their mitts on any (I don't) then enough doses for 25 million people doesn't even get us past those most vulnerable.
It's really simple math. With a population of 328 million and enough doses for 25 million, that leaves 303 million people, the vast majority, of the population at the back of the line That's 92% of the population, the vast majority right at the back of the line along with those the poster tried to dismiss. I am very much right. But then again Math always did like me best.

Many have already had Covid, many of the young (under 30) don't need to take it as critically as others. Please eliminate all of them from your math.

And I apologize, but I read your post as just a chance to virtue signal about the elite. Because there was definitely a lot of that in there.

Many have already had Covid, many of the young (under 30) don't need to take it as critically as others. Please eliminate all of them from your math.

And I apologize, but I read your post as just a chance to virtue signal about the elite. Because there was definitely a lot of that in there.

Why would you eliminate them? The antibodies give limited protection for a short period of time. They will still need the vaccine.

Love the visual of the Dominos guy. Hate the idea that healthcare workers and first responders may not get the vaccine before politicians.

To be fair, they didn't say that was the case. And I'm a very hopeful skeptic. I hope corruption is at a minimum and things will go like they say. But I've seen far too many times where they get theirs even though it is left unsaid to believe it. Count me as Mr. Skeptical cloud in the silver lining if you wish. I'm totally guilty as charged in that regard. :)

Don't forget there are many people that have resumed an almost normal life already. 2021 will be better, every month in we are closer to the end and also more and more creativity and knowledge that has helped allow many thing to operate and happen in many areas.

I agree a lot of people have resumed normal life. But isn't that part of the problem right now, how many have decided that they're "done" with pandemic precautions? We're just waiting for the shoe to drop on the next round of shutdowns as we're now seeing more cases than in March/April when we were one of the harder-hit states and hospitalizations creeping up to the same level as they were when our ICUs were at 100% capacity.

For all the months we've been dealing with this, it really doesn't feel like we've learned a whole lot. Or if we did, we're not choosing to apply it. Parks still have their tables stacked and pavilions and restrooms blocked off to discourage use, restaurants aren't putting out patio heaters or anything to extend the outdoor dining season, mask mandates are "if you feel like it" and retail/dining capacity limits have been virtually abandoned as too hard to monitor. Life is simply moving indoors as it always does in the fall, perhaps even a bit faster because of those still-closed amenities that are normally quite nice for fall. It feels, around me at least, like we've adopted a worst-possible mash-up of response measures - closing or limiting places where distancing is possible because those places are under the jurisdiction of governmental entities that are listening to public health authorities while simultaneously letting mask mandates and capacity limits fall victim to free-market, "the customer is always right" impulses because those things mainly fall to private businesses to enforce. And the results are absolutely predictable... right down to people arguing that the imminent vaccine means we don't need to tighten existing measures.

But that in itself is going to be a problem, as far as prioritizing vaccines and attempting to return to life as somewhat usual: Do we first vaccinate the most vulnerable or those most "efficient" at spreading the virus? Because if we want to see college students return to campuses and public venues for arts and sports and other entertainment reopen, we're going to need the young and low-risk vaccinated. Otherwise, they'll just be hastening the spread among the more (but not very most) vulnerable and among those who cannot benefit from the vaccine. So either we're going to prioritize based on risk of death, which will mean keeping many of those things closed for a couple-few more years until vaccination becomes widely available to the general public, or we're going to prioritize so-called "super spreader" populations, which will mean continuing measures to isolate the highest-risk populations.

(bolded by me)

WTH?!

Obviously, you haven’t looked at the numbers. Even a quick glance would tell you the vast majority has not been infected yet.

No. But it’s more certain now. And it may have moved up a tweek fir Pfizer as they had more than the needed Covid cases in their placebo group faster than planned. Initially they needed 30 some. Now over 60. Correct me anyone If I am wrong.
Initially they needed 32 for the first announcement and now have 94. They still need 160-something, but they can start emergency use approvals with the numbers that they currently have. I'm (cautiously) excited!

Pfizer/BioNTech haven't been routinely testing people in the study for COVID-19 after the vaccinations, so these are all either symptomatic people or people who tested positive after testing for another reason. It's difficult for me to want more data but also knowing that means that more people have been infected.

Actually, no. The government has already determined that the most at risk- the elderly, those with severe comorbidities, and first responders- will get it first. Sorry.
I can't help but note that other than in Ontario and Quebec, Canada has not seen extensive spread amongst first responders of any kind. While their efforts deserve respect from all of us, they simply aren't the most vulnerable. This graph shows the number of diagnosed first responders (the orange symbol), the percentage of first responders amongst all diagnosed cases (the light blue symbol) and the number of fatalities amongst first responders (the darker blue symbol). Solely based on our statistics, we simply must throw everything we've got at the elderly.

I would venture to guess that the number of those this passed through silently is staggeringly high, as is the count of those who died without testing because "the test wouldn't affect the treatment or outcome" (I've personally heard this before, it's a medical go to and as annoying as ). When we see the number of cases written about and consider than many states, like Pennsylvania, will only test with a Dr note that means a whole lot of people are uncounted so the count is going to absolutely be wrong. It would be different if the tests were on demand but that ship has sailed, there is no reason at all to think our count is accurate. A better statement would be, "Here is the number of people who can afford a Dr. visit and have a Dr. willing to fight for them who were tested and came back positive (or negative)." The obstacles in play can't be ignored.

On the other hand, I'd bet that most of the high touch essential workforce, especially in bigger cities, have had it pass through their population silently already thanks to the mask controversy so maybe a tandem effort of antibody testing plus vaccination would work in this group. It's ok if the self generated antibodies don't last forever, we don't need forever we only need until there is more so if there is a combination of vaccine and herd immunity to get us there so be it. If you antibody test a whole bus depot now and discover 50 workers are positive for antibodies, save those 50 doses of vaccine and redistribute elsewhere to extend coverage into another community. It's not an impossible problem to solve, this is a public health emergency, time to use whatever resources we have at our disposal to cover as much vulnerability as possible without wasting a single dose.

I would venture to guess that the number of those this passed through silently is staggeringly high, as is the count of those who died without testing because "the test wouldn't affect the treatment or outcome" (I've personally heard this before, it's a medical go to and as annoying as ). When we see the number of cases written about and consider than many states, like Pennsylvania, will only test with a Dr note that means a whole lot of people are uncounted so the count is going to absolutely be wrong. It would be different if the tests were on demand but that ship has sailed, there is no reason at all to think our count is accurate. A better statement would be, "Here is the number of people who can afford a Dr. visit and have a Dr. willing to fight for them who were tested and came back positive (or negative)." The obstacles in play can't be ignored.

On the other hand, I'd bet that most of the high touch essential workforce, especially in bigger cities, have had it pass through their population silently already thanks to the mask controversy so maybe a tandem effort of antibody testing plus vaccination would work in this group. It's ok if the self generated antibodies don't last forever, we don't need forever we only need until there is more so if there is a combination of vaccine and herd immunity to get us there so be it. If you antibody test a whole bus depot now and discover 50 workers are positive for antibodies, save those 50 doses of vaccine and redistribute elsewhere to extend coverage into another community. It's not an impossible problem to solve, this is a public health emergency, time to use whatever resources we have at our disposal to cover as much vulnerability as possible without wasting a single dose.
Pa has walk in testing without a doctors note, and has for some time now.

The CDC has the following populations in tier 1 (first priority, not in any particular order):
a. Healthcare workers
b. 65 years and older
c. People at high risk for severe COVID-19 symptoms due to certain underlying health conditions
d. Essential workers (those who are involved in maintaining and supporting critical infrastructure operations, such as medical and healthcare, emergency services, law enforcement, information technology, defense, food and agriculture, energy, water and waste services).

The young and healthy are at the way back. Get used to wearing a mask for a long while.

There is no mention in any government documents (that I have seen) mentioning family members of these populations being included in a prioritization.

This is not a federal directive list, but rather a suggestion by the CDC in their latest report from couple weeks ago.

The thing is, these vaccine trials will be continuing to collect data on participants for years to get an idea of efficacy. At this point, we know some of these candidates work as reported, but we have no idea how long they provide immunity. We do not have certainty that even natural immunity is durable. Actually, there have been studies showing that the titers do wane over time, especially among those with mild or no symptoms. So, there’s a possibility that some of these high priority populations could get ahead of the line again in the future.

Not sure where you are but this is absolutely not what I ran into this weekend when I looked, this is what I kept finding:
https://www.labcorp.com/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/individuals/infection-test
It's possible there is just conflicting info but if some people are seeing what I see then people are being missed
I'm in SW PA and had to get tested 2 weeks ago. The test was only free for people with symptoms of Covid and they wouldn't take appointments for testing so I waited 3 hours in my car outside of a Med Express, with a fever and a cough and feeling horrible. Couldn't leave or I would lose my place in line. I wasn't impressed with my walk-in testing experience.

It's very good news.

Let us all hope that the current administration HHS and FDA will be allowed to work with the incoming administration heads/staff of the HHS and FDA.....to coordinate the roll-out of this vaccine. It's not going to be easy from what I've read. The "cold-chain" distribution challenges need to be ironed out, so that people are getting a vaccine that is actually viable.

Pfizer did not participate in the "warp speed" vaccine program. Yes, they're selling a ton of vaccine the U.S. Government, but that's not the same as being in that program. Taking credit, on either side of the aisle, for the success of this vaccine....is juvenile and a waste of time. People are dying.

(bolded by me)

WTH?!

Obviously, you haven’t looked at the numbers. Even a quick glance would tell you the vast majority has not been infected yet.
I never said the majority have been infected. I honestly don't know what your giant beef is here.

It's very good news.

Let us all hope that the current administration HHS and FDA will be allowed to work with the incoming administration heads/staff of the HHS and FDA.....to coordinate the roll-out of this vaccine. It's not going to be easy from what I've read. The "cold-chain" distribution challenges need to be ironed out, so that people are getting a vaccine that is actually viable.

Pfizer did not participate in the "warp speed" vaccine program. Yes, they're selling a ton of vaccine the U.S. Government, but that's not the same as being in that program. Taking credit, on either side of the aisle, for the success of this vaccine....is juvenile and a waste of time. People are dying.

They didn't participate looked at from one angle. They certainly did looked at from the other. Would they have mass produced this vaccine before approval if it wasn't prepaid?

They didn't participate looked at from one angle. They certainly did looked at from the other. Would they have mass produced this vaccine before approval if it wasn't prepaid?

My understanding is that they’re not participating in warp speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter