CDC Notifies States, Large Cities To Prepare For Vaccine Distribution As Soon As Late October

Status
Not open for further replies.
But in all fairness, that's not even a drop in the bucket of what is needed. Don't get me wrong, progress toward a vaccine is a good thing... but let's be realistic about today's news. Pfizer is aiming to have 50 million doses of a two-dose vaccine that needs infrastructure we don't have to keep it at -90° during distribution. That means they'll have enough for 25 million people to get vaccinated this year, and it will likely only be available in a small number of locations capable of supporting those highly specialized storage and transport needs. Next year, they'll have enough for 650 million more people, which is a big jump of course, but those storage and transport issues (as well as the balance of international distribution) will still have to be addressed. And hopefully they'll be willing and able to ramp up still further or a second vaccine candidate will be approved, because at that pace, it would take more than a decade to produce enough to meet global demand.

People still seem to be seeing this as "once there is a vaccine, the pandemic is over", when the reality is that having a vaccine and getting it to enough people to make a difference are two entirely separate issues.

UPS CEO says they have built "freezer farms" all over the country and are ready to store the vaccine nationwide.

Moderna’s vaccine is an RNA messager one, as is Pfizer’s. I believe there is good reason to be hopeful here. I also think there will be a much higher percentage of people taking it than was initially thought. Pfizer is being transparent. There will always be the never vaccine people around since they were around before. I am happy for them to wait if that’s their choice. Back of the line, guys.

Last edited:
But in all fairness, that's not even a drop in the bucket of what is needed. Don't get me wrong, progress toward a vaccine is a good thing... but let's be realistic about today's news. Pfizer is aiming to have 50 million doses of a two-dose vaccine that needs infrastructure we don't have to keep it at -90° during distribution. That means they'll have enough for 25 million people to get vaccinated this year, and it will likely only be available in a small number of locations capable of supporting those highly specialized storage and transport needs. Next year, they'll have enough for 650 million more people, which is a big jump of course, but those storage and transport issues (as well as the balance of international distribution) will still have to be addressed. And hopefully they'll be willing and able to ramp up still further or a second vaccine candidate will be approved, because at that pace, it would take more than a decade to produce enough to meet global demand.

People still seem to be seeing this as "once there is a vaccine, the pandemic is over", when the reality is that having a vaccine and getting it to enough people to make a difference are two entirely separate issues.
Airlines, freight companies have expanded their cargo “cool” shipping facilities. And once we get the older, high risk off the Covid Charts, deaths and hospitalizations will drop and government policies will adapt. If this virus only affected the young with the same outcomes as today There would be no global shutdown.

Airlines, freight companies have expanded their cargo “cool” shipping facilities. And once we get the older, high risk off the Covid Charts, deaths and hospitalizations will drop and government policies will adapt. If this virus only affected the young with the same outcomes as today There would be no global shutdown.

Another good point about the young.

So has the timeline actually changed?
No. But it’s more certain now. And it may have moved up a tweek fir Pfizer as they had more than the needed Covid cases in their placebo group faster than planned. Initially they needed 30 some. Now over 60. Correct me anyone If I am wrong.

No. But it’s more certain now. And it may have moved up a tweek fir Pfizer as they had more than the needed Covid cases in their placebo group faster than planned. Initially they needed 30 some. Now over 60. Correct me anyone If I am wrong.

They had 94.

I realize there's no bowl of Cornflakes too big to be pssd on, but this is not accurate. From today's news:

"Based on current projections, Pfizer and BioNTech expect to produce up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020, and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021."

The vaccine requires 2 doses. So, the number of people that could get it by end of 2021 is half that (equivalent to roughly just half of India).

My SIL had a group meeting with five pharm companies last week, and they were told health care workers would get a vaccine by March or April 2021, with large scale distribution happening in Oct 2021, so I am happy to see this news today, but cautious about thinking we will all be getting vaccines terribly soon. It's a positive step forward.

It is very encouraging. And other vaccines are well underway with their phase 3 trials. Hopefully in the next couple months we'll hear of more successes and not be dependent on only this first positive outcome.

Sure time can only tell where we'll be going into 2021, but this provides some needed encouragement. There was the small but possible chance hurdles could continue causing setbacks. There was the likelihood of victory but no guarantee. There was the daunting reality a vaccine for the common cold was never accomplished, otoh the entire world was focused to advance against covid. This gives me more confidence other trials will find success as well. And I need that right now because this winter looks like it's gonna be rough. At least more light is shining thru from the end of the tunnel :sunny:

The vaccine requires 2 doses. So, the number of people that could get it by end of 2021 is half that (equivalent to roughly just half of India).

So, back in July, looks like the US contracted with Pfizer to receive enough vaccine for 50 million (100 million doses) people at a cost of $1.95 billion.

but those storage and transport issues (as well as the balance of international distribution) will still have to be addressed.
When my state (and the one next to me) released their vaccine plans for distribution to their citizens this was specifically addressed. Pertaining to my area it was noted:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and HHS have advised at least my state (and presumably others) "to not be focused on purchasing or expanding" ultra-cold storage capacity. He (the state Department of Health and Environment bureau director for disease control and prevention) said vaccines requiring those conditions would be shipped directly from manufacturers in special units called "pizza boxes" that can hold up to 5,000 doses. The boxes can maintain the required temperature for up to 10 days if strict guidelines about how often they're opened are followed" (that was written on October 21st).

I would hope that at least something like that would still be in the picture. Storage is something that has already been looked at, not that it doesn't present an issue (sure a vaccine that doesn't have that constraint would be preferred), but it's not as if that means it's a vaccine that should be tossed aside. Realistically we can't think about things in terms of absolute perfection. Whether it's storage issues, number of doses, the hierarchy of who gets it, the global aspect, etc we'll have to bend on some things, at least IMO, if the aim is to get a vaccine that will be soon as opposed to years and years down the road.

'Cold-chain' vaccines/methods of distribution is not new. The temperature at which Pfizer in particular needs is the issue but we've already been dealing with and thus have at least worked out some kinks in at least parts of the distribution stream when it comes to best practices in transport of vaccines that use a temperature requirement (also light sensitivity).

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and HHS have advised at least my state (and presumably others) "to not be focused on purchasing or expanding" ultra-cold storage capacity. He (the state Department of Health and Environment bureau director for disease control and prevention) said vaccines requiring those conditions would be shipped directly from manufacturers in special units called "pizza boxes"
I'd never have guessed this, but it seems like a key player in curing the pandemic may very well be Grub Hub!:p

. Back of the line, guys.

There are 18 million health care workers in the U.S. They and their families should be first priority. There are 2 million first responders in the U.S. They and their families should be as well. But we all know that's not going to happen. The politicians, the well to do, and the well connected will get it first. So in that allotment that will serve 25 million (assuming no spoilage) we won't even have enough to get past health care workers and first responders and their families.

So. The vast majority of people will be in the back of the line, not just those you tried to dismiss and blow off.

vaccines requiring those conditions would be shipped directly from manufacturers in special units called "pizza boxes"

Pizza boxes. I'm on it.

That's 50 down, 49,999,950 to go. Phew

Must fold faster, must fold faster.

There are 18 million health care workers in the U.S. They and their families should be first priority. There are 2 million first responders in the U.S. They and their families should be as well. But we all know that's not going to happen. The politicians, the well to do, and the well connected will get it first. So in that allotment that will serve 25 million (assuming no spoilage) we won't even have enough to get past health care workers and first responders and their families.

So. The vast majority of people will be in the back of the line, not just those you tried to dismiss and blow off.

Actually, no. The government has already determined that the most at risk- the elderly, those with severe comorbidities, and first responders- will get it first. Sorry.

My SIL had a group meeting with five pharm companies last week, and they were told health care workers would get a vaccine by March or April 2021, with large scale distribution happening in Oct 2021, so I am happy to see this news today, but cautious about thinking we will all be getting vaccines terribly soon. It's a positive step forward.
That would be music to my ears. Both my daughter and myself are providers. She just graduated from med school this May and has been on the frontlines. Many of her friends and co-workers are out due to COVID and self-isolating. So she and the other interns are working ridiculous hours to cover. Any vaccine that would help us get back to full staff levels would be awesome.

Pizza boxes. I'm on it.

That's 50 down, 49,999,950 to go. Phew

Must fold faster, must fold faster.
Love the visual of the Dominos guy. Hate the idea that healthcare workers and first responders may not get the vaccine before politicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter