• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Choosing to stay during a mandatory evacuation

It was and I felt so bad for the people. So many honestly had no way to evacuate. But I thought they were supposed to go to the convention center? Edit: Just looked it up, I had it backwards. They were told to go to the Super dome. That makes what happened even worse!

I am not sure about the areas with Florence but people need to realize that in a lot of areas mandatory evacuations are not a regular thing. Not even a yearly thing. So constantly being prepared to pick up and go isn’t as easy as it sounds.

As for jobs, the job may not be in the evacuation area. We weren’t under a mandatory evacuation but I am certain there were people that were that were in my son’s situation. His job at the time was 5 hours to the west. He had to go the day after Katrina. Well he could go early but finding a place to stay was impossible plus he would have been trying to go toward where everyone else’s was evacuating from. If he went with us or a different direction, he was taking a chance of not getting back. I can certainly understand the hard decision for some people.

Another problem is getting home. Many people never returned to New Orleans and the outskirts. Contrary to the victim blaming politicians at the time, many of those people owned their homes outright or had up to date mortgages on them.

That’s really easy to say, but someone already has a pet, they are told to evacuate. Pet isn’t up to date on shots. What exactly are they supposed to do at that moment?

My dogs are all up to date and I wouldn’t consider leaving them but it would be hard to figure out what to do.

And there are always some that don’t just have dogs and cats. We do have a shelter here that can take horses but having an animal of that size can be a problem.

As for having a plan, it can be years between mandatory hurricane evacuations for some places. Edit: Katrina was the first ever mandatory evacuation for NOLA.
Right. I live in NOLA & only have a rough plan. It’s impossible to have an exact plan. I wouldn’t stay for even a strong 1 anymore after Issac. But, thankfully I have resources.

I feel for those who felt like they had to stay. Sometimes leaving just isn't a choice. I left for Matthew, and I will tell you that leaving can be pretty darn expensive (if you can find a room, that is) and you are at the mercy of whatever hotel you can get in to. If you end up having to stay multiple nights that can break a budget pretty quickly, not to mention having to possibly pay to stay somewhere if your home is damaged while trying to negotiate with insurance (if they even have any).

I feel for those who felt like they had to stay. Sometimes leaving just isn't a choice. I left for Matthew, and I will tell you that leaving can be pretty darn expensive (if you can find a room, that is) and you are at the mercy of whatever hotel you can get in to. If you end up having to stay multiple nights that can break a budget pretty quickly, not to mention having to possibly pay to stay somewhere if your home is damaged while trying to negotiate with insurance (if they even have any).

I don't think personal budgetary concerns are a valid reason to stay when there is a mandatory evacuation.
If you live an in area prone to large storms, then you should have some sort of emergency plan including a budget. If you don't isn't that what the shelters are for?

I don't think personal budgetary concerns are a valid reason to stay when there is a mandatory evacuation.
If you live an in area prone to large storms, then you should have some sort of emergency plan including a budget. If you don't isn't that what the shelters are for?
Some people can barely afford food every week, they live paycheck to paycheck. They don't have an emergency fund. Should they? Yes. But realistically, they don't.

And as for shelters, you have to find one that has space AND get there. If there isn't one close and little to no public transit then there really aren't any other options.

For the record, I don't think emergency workers should be required to help people who stay. If it isn't safe, it isn't safe. But thank goodness for the good samaritans.

Some people can barely afford food every week, they live paycheck to paycheck. They don't have an emergency fund. Should they? Yes. But realistically, they don't.

You only responded to the statement I made, you didn't answer my question.
If you don't have an emergency fund, then why don't you go to a shelter, aren't they for people who can't afford or find a hotel?

I just watched a video of people being rescued, and when asked why they stayed, the #1 answer was "we didn't think it would get this bad".

You only responded to the statement I made, you didn't answer my question.
If you don't have an emergency fund, then why don't you go to a shelter, aren't they for people who can't afford or find a hotel?

I just watched a video of people being rescued, and when asked why they stayed, the #1 answer was "we didn't think it would get this bad".
I answered in the next post :)
I'm a little scatterbrained today! (everyday?)

I answered in the next post :)
I'm a little scatterbrained today! (everyday?)

Yes, you did, I didn't see it before I replied to the first one.
I don't blame the people, I blame their local governments. If they are going to have mandatory evacuations then they have a responsibility to their residents to be able to get them to those shelters.
I did find the video interesting though, for people who choose to stay because they thought it wouldn't be bad, then that is on them.

And as for shelters, you have to find one that has space AND get there. If there isn't one close and little to no public transit then there really aren't any other options.

For the record, I don't think emergency workers should be required to help people who stay. If it isn't safe, it isn't safe. But thank goodness for the good samaritans.
And it's not even just people from that area.

We have people from a local animal shelter that headed down there to help take some of the animals to ease off the shelters there. Other shelters in our area are doing adoption specials in order to clear some space for animals picked up due to the hurricane and sent to our area. We're not close to the coast/impacted area either.

Honestly? The most horrifying thought (aside from people dying) was when I saw a news article that said shelters were at the point where they might have to start euthanizing animals for space in the impacted area (and I'm blanking on the area) and not only that they meant the animals people left behind, the animals that got out even by accident, etc. FEMA is imploring people to take their pets with them and I do know some people choose (or realistically have little means) to stay because of their pets. That's the thing that me personally hits the hardest.

And it's not even just people from that area.

We have people from a local animal shelter that headed down there to help take some of the animals to ease off the shelters there. Other shelters in our area are doing adoption specials in order to clear some space for animals picked up due to the hurricane and sent to our area. We're not close to the coast/impacted area either.

Honestly? The most horrifying thought (aside from people dying) was when I saw a news article that said shelters were at the point where they might have to start euthanizing animals for space in the impacted area (and I'm blanking on the area) and not only that they meant the animals people left behind, the animals that got out even by accident, etc. FEMA is imploring people to take their pets with them and I do know some people choose (or realistically have little means) to stay because of their pets. That's the thing that me personally hits the hardest.

The local shelter where I grew in NY up took in dozens of animals ahead of the storm too. Maybe some will step in now after it to save the animals.

Sometimes life throws people a curve ball. Have some empathy and stop looking for a reason to fault people.

Last edited:
A lot of people don't evacuate because in the past when they did evacuate they were not allowed back to their homes for days or even weeks after the storm had passed We can disagree with their decisions but I try to understand where they're coming from

We left for Irma last year. We left on Wednesday and Irma hit here on Sunday. We went to friends in Georgia which is normally about a six hour trip. it took 14 hours. Recently we've been driving around to Central Florida and checking on hotels so we might not have to drive so far next time. But if a storm looks like it might hit southern Florida and especially around Miami before it looks like it will come here, many of the hotels will be booked up by the Miami evacuees before we even know it is coming our way. We'll probably have to drive further north if all the hotels are booked by Miami evacuees. Hurricane hit on Sunday morning, by Tuesday morning they had reopened the bridge to our island, but we didn't get home until Friday because my husband's mother was very ill (Harvey had just hit their area) and he flew from Atlanta to Houston for six days to be with his mom. We were also flooded when we lived in Louisiana (but we did have flood insurance) and it took about five months to get our house repaired. That was just a freak rain storm with limited flooding (we were in that area), so people weren't evacuating. There we stayed in local motels for about five nights until our house got all the wet stuff out including walls and dried out. We lived with partial walls and concrete floors for months. We had more damage from that stupid rain storm than we had from Hurricane Irma.

I’m in NC, but not on the coast. However, I do have some fairly strong feelings about those who choose not to evacuate in a mandatory evacuation zone. There are always going to be people with “reasons” what they didn’t/couldn’t evacuate. But, for every one of those reasons, there were plenty of services, people offering to assist, free places to go, etc. Those who chose to stay knew there was a chance that their decision may result in injury or death...to THEMSELVES. However, they then call for help, and expect others to risk their lives to rescue them. That’s what upsets me most. Don’t put others in harms way to save you because you made the choice to ignore all warnings.
This.

No judgement. Perhaps more people would be willing to evacuate if Government agencies didn’t truly lock them out of the affected areas when they try to return to their homes after the storm has passed.

We had a Gale hit in 2006 with 90 mph winds. Just warnings and no evacuation needed. Lost power for a week. After day 3 of no power or heat and having 2 babies, we evacuated. Once we left we couldn’t return until the downed trees were cleared, downed power lines removed, and power was restored.

If they let people back in before it is safe, then the government would be held responsible for any injury or loss of life that results. This is the government protecting you from dangers you might not even be aware of.

I have never understood why people stay to prevent looting. Everyone with posessions worth looting has homeowners insurance that will replace your belongings. Just take photos and document what you have before you leave

Living in Florida and dealing with storms my whole life.

The reason that they will not let you back into areas, are mostly for safety... power lines laying in water, fire, leaking gas, gators, bears... that all needs to be cleared before you safely can go home.

Another reason is that if looters are sneaking around, they want to make sure your safe again, by not letting you walk into your house with someone there stealing everything. Happened to a girl I worked with, after Katrina they went to start cleaning up and found a man sleeping in their bed, with all their stuff in boxes ready to cart out of the house... Lets say, he might have falling down a few times when they were helping him out of the house..

If you are a adult and choose to stay, then that's on you... and you are on your own... the problem is that alot of times there are kids involved and they have no say in what happens to them... so then everyone ( first responder's) is faced with the dilemma, of trying to help some else who did not put their own kids first... Then they are the loudest on TV when something happens, but they don't want the responsibility of what they choose to do, then it's everyone else responsibility and everyone else fault... then blame the first responder's, or who ever for what's happened to them...

If you need help getting out its out there.... all you have to do is reach out and ask for help... they will get you out.

The definition Mandatory - required by law or rules: compulsory... conveying a command...

I don't see where the word choice or if i want to... comes into play here.

I watched this morning on the news as they helped an elderly lady who could barely walk evacuate from flood waters.

That is a whole group of people that have different reasons for not being so keen on evacuating. The elderly are many times afraid to leave their home. They feel and can be vulnerable in a shelter. They want to be in their home with their things and surroundings they are comfortable with. They are also the ones that need to evacuate the most. Very sad situation.

When faced with the order to evacuate, there are many things that will make someone choose to stay and most of us that haven’t or won’t have to face that, aren’t going to understand completely ever. It’s hard to understand any reason being “enough” of a reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter