Cigarettes,Ice & Stroller News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being someone who feels like I can't breath just from the distant smell of cigarette smoke, I am ecstatic Disney is banning smoking from the parks. Perhaps it could provide the impetus for a few Disney diehards to quit! It can be done! My mother smoked for over 60 years and it took respiratory failure, near death, and being intubated to finally get her to quit her habit. Maybe this policy will encourage a few regulars to quit before they get to that point.
As far as the monster-sized strollers/wagons, they are a nuisance and impede the flow of foot traffic. I really don't understand why people want to use them under such crowded conditions anyway. They are exhausting to push/pull, and harder to maneuver and store, compared to the light umbrella-type stroller. If people are using them primarily as shopping carts, I can see where the ice ban may also discourage their use by keeping people from having a convenient method to cart around coolers.

I feel bad for the kids. No matter what, they’re going to have to be subjected to the smoke which already sucks, and now they’ll have to be brought out of the park, for many multiple times in the day.

You know what? You need to get a grip! I’m not a smoker any longer but could always manage to get through long periods of time without smoking ... a fifteen hour flight to China for instance. To assume that smokers are going to drag their kids out of the parks several times a day for a quick smoke is ridiculous. We get it ... you don’t like smoking! You probably do some things that others find offensive ( like making ridiculous assumptions for instance) so take a chill pill and relax!

LOL... Yep. It's been there quite a while, I guess since the rebranding from DTD to DS at least.
On our trip last month it was really bizarre to me to watch a group of ladies sit and pass around, and smoke, a cigar.

Might have to check it out but since it's on Disney property I'm sure prices will be a bit higher than normal

FWIW....it was just announced on a cable news channel. It will probably be on the national evening news as well. I hope there will be plenty of signage before entering the parks.

In all the years I've been going to WDW I never encountered smokers in the women's bathroom. I hope it stays that way.

ETA....The link in my signature has helpful info....Tobacco Free Florida.

Our two local news stations have also posted it on thei facebook as well - alot of people saying" THATS NOT FAIR!! I HAVE TO SMOKE!

I just came back from AK, was walking from Asia to Africa along the trail where they have their smoking section and a lady basically came at a food and beverage CM (the CM was pushing one of those soda carts) and started yelling at her that she just heard the news about the ban and that it was stupid and where will she be able to smoke. The poor CM looked cornered but tried to calm her down.....so please, do not yell or talk down or belittle the CM when you are on property just because you have a problem. I seriously feel bad for all the guest relations CM that are about to get hit
If you are annoyed or concerned about the new bans please address your feelings to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com
Again we can continue to talk about it here but Disney does not read these boards to the extent where they will address your personal problem so please direct all inquires to this email

As to 2nd hand smoke, I've never felt it was something that was a huge issue outdoors. You aren't enclosed with it, forced to breathe it in. You have more than enough fresh air around you and can even step away from it, short of infants of course.
I was glad to hear the my alma mater went smoke free on campus..sadly it was effective 8 years after I had graduated.

Being outdoors doesn't mean you aren't forced to breath it in, or that 'fresh' air suddenly absolves the presence of smoke or that you can step away from it. Cigarette smoke especially has a way of lingering too IMO. But to your point at least the DSA attempted to keep it contained in a specified area.

Because he likes rides too? and what used to be a less than 5 minute break is now going to be 30+? x 4-5 times.

Congratulations for having no compassion, since you have stated multiple times how you don't care about anyone else's feelings on this matter. Yes, actually, we all enjoy those 5 minute breaks. I get to check my social media or set up our next FP+, the kids get off of their feet for a couple of minutes or play tag or something. Will we enjoy having to walk from the back of the park to the front and doing security 5 times a day. Absolutely not.

I get this is a big change for your specific park touring. Those breaks can be nice and now it will lead to more walking.

Is there possibly some rides that you can go on maybe 1 or 2 of those breaks that your husband doesn't care about or I guess considers take it or leave it? That way you can reduce the amount of back and forth inside and outside the parks if for you guys it works that everyone goes with for just some of the breaks rather than all the breaks. Maybe even a quick show or watching streetmosphere stuff or something to get a break in for the feet?

Dang, my in laws bought DS(almost 1) this radio flyer wagon stroller and it fits the new dimension rules but I guess we are out of luck. too bad, we were looking forward to giving him a place to nap more comfortably during this years trip but the umbrella stroller will have to do. i wonder how many people who are not in tune with disney on a daily basis like we all are here on this board will show up to the parks with a stroller they cannot bring in, and then are told they have to take the bus back to their resort to bring the stroller back, then come all the way back to the park. going to be a lotttt of angry people

81HCWmO3rHL._AC_UL320_.jpg
Yeah that's technically been against the rules. Can't speak towards enforcement of it before but the issue specifically with keenz is that for all purposes it was a wagon but it could be pushed..like a stroller..so it was a gray area.

Doubtful. A typical ECV without anyone in it is only a few inches shorter than a Keenz. People walk into those all the time, because they don't "see" it.

I have had people walk into my Mom when I am pushing her in a wheelchair or when she is on an ECV. People are looking at their phones and just walk into her. She is not small and she is not low to the ground in either of those things. She has nearly had people land in her lap a few times and if they hurt her, they have me to deal with.

Having read the rules a little closer, you wouldn’t be breaking any rules. If it dies t put out smoke or vapor, it’s not banned, at least that’s how it reads right now.
Disney treats all smoking devices, including eCigerates and Vapes the same and has since ecigarettes and the like became popular, so you would be breaking the rules by vaping.

This is the only reason I'm not 100% certain they'll be ok with bags of ice.
If their reason for loose ice is that it can hide contraband and they don't want to have to check it or are worried about checking it then ziplock bags of ice will have the same issue.
Sure, it's a smaller area but it still has to be checked and can still hide something. So what has been solved?
Just don't know what is up

Maybe, it will be viewed similar to how stadiums and such have gone from allowing bags to allowing only clear bags. Clear zip lock bags give them a sense of security that are ok with? It's a vague sense of security but what isn't?
Except, pulling out a ziplock bag of ice is easier to look through than going through completely loose ice. Try it at home, put some ice in a ziplock bag and a bunch of loose ice in a cooler, hide something about the size of a cassette tape in each of them, which one is it easier to find that item in?

Too bad they couldn't build some sort of smoking room for them inside the parks.

Hope not.

I have a theory that people always ruin it for themselves. If the smokers/vapors stayed in the designated areas..... If people bringing in strollers didn’t push it to the extreme.....Disney wouldn’t have been forced to enact these rules. When some people push the boundaries, others are forced to make restrictions to effect all of us. It stinks, but its the same story time and time again.

We loved the lightweight travel stroller we got for our second child for trips. We were going to visit my Dad at his Florida rental for a few days and then go to Disney World for the first time with the kids (a just turned 5 yr old and a 10 mth old.) (We made the 5 yr old walk...in hindsight...we should have rented a stroller for her for our Epcot day.) Before the trip, we went looking for a 'cheap' stroller for the 10 mth old that we could use as a 'high chair' at my Dad's place (kid tray), a place to nap in the parks (reclining seat), with a canopy, a big basket underneath for our stuff, a cup holder for us, and folded easily. Lol, this was 14 yrs ago...we found a Kolcraft Sesame Street one at KMart for $40. We used it for ALL our Disney trips until our youngest turned 6. The wheels were threadbare by the time we threw it out. We LOVED that stroller!

This looks like the newest version of what we had, looks like it's 18" x 31", well within Disney's limits:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kolcraft-Cloud-Plus-Lightweight-Stroller-Slate/51870509

We had a Kolcraft too. It was amazing. Especially for the price. He could sleep in it. He could eat in it. And I could fit three bags of groceries under the seat when we would walk to/from the store.

I'm actually surprised it took 132 posts for someone to bring up the Infamous EPCOT Drunks. That must be some kind of new record!
DH and I were just talking about this the other day. In all of our many trips to Epcot we've never experienced any "drunks" or any of the other things listed. We've been during festivals, no festivals, daytime
nighttime, lol. I hope we keep our streak alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter