• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Club run disney

I sent them an email asking how it works if CrD folks don’t get there before the merch area opens to the general public. If I catch the first bus and get there at 9:55 and they let me right in, that’s good enough for me. If they want me to use the VQ or something, someone will be getting a very polite talking to about how annoyed I am. 😆😆

So, I’m really annoyed at the response I finally got from runDisney about Club runDisney access ToT he merch area:
“If you are a Club runDisney Platinum or Gold Member and you are taking advantage of your early
shopping opportunity, you do not need to join; if you are not taking advantage of early shopping and still
planning to shop on Day 1, yes you will need to join the virtual queue.

The following times are for early access for the following Club runDisney members:
  • Platinum Members: 8:30-9:45 am EST
  • Gold Members: 9:00-9:45 am EST”

So we paid them all this money to get these benefits, and now they want me to pay more to get myself to the expo early enough to access them? I feel a bit cheated, honestly.

So, I’m really annoyed at the response I finally got from runDisney about Club runDisney access ToT he merch area:
“If you are a Club runDisney Platinum or Gold Member and you are taking advantage of your early
shopping opportunity, you do not need to join; if you are not taking advantage of early shopping and still
planning to shop on Day 1, yes you will need to join the virtual queue.

The following times are for early access for the following Club runDisney members:
  • Platinum Members: 8:30-9:45 am EST
  • Gold Members: 9:00-9:45 am EST”

So we paid them all this money to get these benefits, and now they want me to pay more to get myself to the expo early enough to access them? I feel a bit cheated, honestly.
I can understand the frustration. At the same time it's so few people they would be running a lot of empty buses to cover the full number of resorts for the 1 hr 15 minutes extra time.

ETA: additionally, they probably don't want to facilitate non-club runDisney runners getting to the expo super early and lining up for bib pick up way in advance?

ETA ETA: For the price of club runDisney what should be offered is a skip the line entrance to the merchandise area at all times. Not just the one time early on the first day.

Last edited:
I can understand the frustration. At the same time it's so few people they would be running a lot of empty buses to cover the full number of resorts for the 1 hr 15 minutes extra time.

ETA: additionally, they probably don't want to facilitate non-club runDisney runners getting to the expo super early and lining up for bib pick up way in advance?
All they have to do is exempt Gold and Platinum members from needing to use the VQ at all and let them enter at will on Day 1 and the problem would be solved.

All they have to do is exempt Gold and Platinum members from needing to use the VQ at all and let them enter at will on Day 1 and the problem would be solved.
I would agree with that. Most club members will probably go early so it wouldn't add much throughout the day.

Honestly I would probably try my luck with the cast member at the door.

I would agree with that. Most club members will probably go early so it wouldn't add much throughout the day.

Honestly I would probably try my luck with the cast member at the door.
Except if they say “no” I’m already 2 hours past the VQ access time and totally hosed.

All they need to do is set it up like ride lines at the parks: CrD gold/platinum who can arrive early are like resort guests getting the extra 30 minutes in the morning, CrD who arrive after 9:45 are like people with lightning lanes, and everyone else in the VQ are like the standby riders, it’s not that hard.

Except if they say “no” I’m already 2 hours past the VQ access time and totally hosed.

All they need to do is set it up like ride lines at the parks: CrD gold/platinum who can arrive early are like resort guests getting the extra 30 minutes in the morning, CrD who arrive after 9:45 are like people with lightning lanes, and everyone else in the VQ are like the standby riders, it’s not that hard.
How many times do the CrD members get to go in and out, though? Do CrD id's have a picture attached, or can anyone take the phone or a screenshot of the qr and get in? Limited to a single trip in? If not, I think it negates any possibility of limiting items to limit resellers.

I agree, frustrating, but not sure there is a perfect solution.

How many times do the CrD members get to go in and out, though? Do CrD id's have a picture attached, or can anyone take the phone or a screenshot of the qr and get in? Limited to a single trip in? If not, I think it negates any possibility of limiting items to limit resellers.

I agree, frustrating, but not sure there is a perfect solution.
You have to show ID to that matches your CrD membership.

They’re not doing any of this to limit resellers, they just don‘t to setup and staff the super long merch line at the crack of dawn.

You have to show ID to that matches your CrD membership.

They’re not doing any of this to limit resellers, they just don‘t to setup and staff the super long merch line at the crack of dawn.
Fair enough!

If you're required to show a matching ID, you should get immediate entry, regardless of time.

Fair enough!

If you're required to show a matching ID, you should get immediate entry, regardless of time.
Why should they get immediate entry, though? Club rD members (two tiers of it, at least) already have a dedicated time prior to anyone else being allowed in allocated to them. Why should they be able to "jump the line" by avoiding the VQ like everyone else for the rest of the day? There's nothing in the membership about preferential entry beyond the early entry.

Why should they get immediate entry, though? Club rD members (two tiers of it, at least) already have a dedicated time prior to anyone else being allowed in allocated to them. Why should they be able to "jump the line" by avoiding the VQ like everyone else for the rest of the day? There's nothing in the membership about preferential entry beyond the early entry.
Because runDisney can’t be bothered to provide transportation that’ll get people there for even the tail end of the early entry time and it wouldn’t kill them let people who’ve paid for a privilege actually enjoy it.

I go to Disney on vacation because I don’t have to worry about providing/ordering my transportation. I know that, provided I plan correctly, Disney will get me where I need to go, when I need to go there.

I see this as a failure on runDisney’s part, just like when they weren’t going to provide transportation to yoga (and then changed their mind at almost the last minute)

Because runDisney can’t be bothered to provide transportation that’ll get people there for even the tail end of the early entry time and it wouldn’t kill them let people who’ve paid for a privilege actually enjoy it.

I go to Disney on vacation because I don’t have to worry about providing/ordering my transportation. I know that, provided I plan correctly, Disney will get me where I need to go, when I need to go there.

I see this as a failure on runDisney’s part, just like when they weren’t going to provide transportation to yoga (and then changed their mind at almost the last minute)
I agree. runDisney claims to provide transportation to the Expo from Disney resorts. This is part of the Expo, a specific (and extra-cost) part that's not available during the time they have the buses running. It may not be a huge deal to catch a ride-share, but it seems wrong in principle, and I'm like Naomeri in that I like to leave the transportation worries to Disney. (That's also why I liked and miss the Magical Express.)

Although @camaker makes a good point, I think for what Club rD charges they should include a skip the line feature for all times the merchandise area is open. Especially for folks only doing the last race of the weekend, they may not be able to arrive before the first day opens and then they lose the out. I would never consider joining Club rD, but I still hope they make that change for upcoming race weekends.

Transportation is a tougher issue because of the potential big expense for Disney to transport a relatively few number of people. They could probably save money by giving the Club rD elites cab or uber fare and keep the busses quiet. (only half joking)

While there is nothing in there right now, I think it is a reasonable accommodation.

You paid for CrD, so you get instant access. That instant access can come at any time of day 1, and if you REALLY want to take advantage, be there an hour early to get first choice. If not, that's okay, you still paid a lot of money for CrD, so you can get right in on Day 1.

I agree. runDisney claims to provide transportation to the Expo from Disney resorts. This is part of the Expo, a specific (and extra-cost) part that's not available during the time they have the buses running. It may not be a huge deal to catch a ride-share, but it seems wrong in principle, and I'm like Naomeri in that I like to leave the transportation worries to Disney. (That's also why I liked and miss the Magical Express.)
I think this is where the heart of the complaint should lie. RunDisney advertises Expo transportation and is not providing it, despite the Expo being open. They don't specify transportation only for general admittance hours. Hopefully they will come to their senses like they did for yoga and extend the transportation hours to cover CrD early access.

I think this is where the heart of the complaint should lie. RunDisney advertises Expo transportation and is not providing it, despite the Expo being open. They don't specify transportation only for general admittance hours. Hopefully they will come to their senses like they did for yoga and extend the transportation hours to cover CrD early access.
And that’s what I politely explained in my email to them. Either provide transportation for the early hours, or let late-arriving CrD folks skip the VQ (which would be the simpler and basically free option)

Based on my notes from Springtime Surprise (when I also stayed at Coronado), the first expo bus didn’t arrive at the casitas stop until 9:40, and we arrived at the expo at 9:54. So even starting the buses a half hour earlier would make me happy. I don’t need to be first in line for merch, I just don’t want to wait in a 2 hour line or screw around the whole day waiting for a randomly-assigned VQ time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter