• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronavirus and DVC prices

Disney itself will hold the line, but who cares.

Winter is coming. Boomers seeing their 401Ks wiped out and going to be unloading these contracts. I'll be ready to buy.
So will we! Our son and DIL just called and we had a good discussion about a lot of things, whined about our 401K's and discussed "retail therapy" - waiting for DVC contract prices to drop. We'll have further discussions about which resorts we'll actively pursue...soooo let's try to think positive and keep the DVC economy going!

We’ve been on the fence about a small add-on.
I’m hoping to get a contract at a great deal but certainly not sure I want it to be at the cost of another owners sad situation.

I’m hoping to get a contract at a great deal but certainly not sure I want it to be at the cost of another owners sad situation.

Market prices are not a "sad situation." DIS stock is down 20%, way more next week. I'm sure you'd feel no moral implications to buying stock at market value.

The whole market is down 20%. It makes sense that DVC should follow.

Wow. Better than I thought. We have 2 trips planned this year. Cost at animal kingdom lodge for 3 with park tickets and free dinning. Oh that's 14 nights and cost $10,000 . only thing we got for free was our airfare for all . free points . your deal beats mine 6 ways to Sunday.
You might want to rethink your position on DVC if you travel to WDW frequently, and are putting out $10K for 14 nights. I average 10N per year for $1650 in MF, and my buy in cost at this point equates to another $2000/year and that cost decreases each year I stay in.
ET:darth:

Who is to say what the situation is...and real estates professionals shouldn't be discussing personal info anyway. We've bought and sold over the years and made profits. Even if the market drops a member may be selling for a profit in order to buy a bigger contract or a desired resort...look for the sunshine as they may be moving up the ladder, not down!

Who is to say what the situation is...and real estates professionals shouldn't be discussing personal info anyway. We've bought and sold over the years and made profits. Even if the market drops a member may be selling for a profit in order to buy a bigger contract or a desired resort...look for the sunshine as they may be moving up the ladder, not down!

This is me. Selling my last BWV....to rebuy BLT. The price is slightly below current ROFR and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Waiting on buyers to return from vacation to sign still, but I’m hoping they get to keep it and not Disney!

Market prices are not a "sad situation." DIS stock is down 20%, way more next week. I'm sure you'd feel no moral implications to buying stock at market value.

The difference, though, is that stock pricing has nothing to do with DVC pricing. Stock prices used to be based, at least partly, on the long term financial health of a company. Now they are based on short term capital gains, rumors and innuendo. Yes, most companies are, in the short term, not making their normal income. But unless this issue goes on for months, most large companies should weather the storm just fine. People no longer consider stock a long term investment, they just want immediate profits....partly due to fund managers who are paid based on the immediate short term profitability.

Last edited:
Disney itself will hold the line, but who cares.

Winter is coming. Boomers seeing their 401Ks wiped out and going to be unloading these contracts. I'll be ready to buy.

Well I can tell you this boomer isn't planning on selling my DVC anytime soon. The market will bounce back once the news media stops scaring the c____p out of everybody with the 24/7 coverage of the Cvirus. This too will pass and the world will go on. I am with you on the buying aspect, if the resale prices do drop I would consider adding on again. My DH might not like that idea but one can always dream (meaning me ;)).

The idea that they should sell before a further decline in prices is the same bad idea that drives people to the most self-harming behavior in the stock market. Does anyone really believe that prices will never recover? Just chill for a little bit.
While I agree with the chill part, I do think this is more complicated than we are making it seem here. I doubt that the Coronavirus "scare" will have any long term impact on prices. However, it has caused tremendous turmoil in the financial markets at a time when many were already forecasting a recession. It is that financial drop combined with a possible recession that will likely drive DVC prices down. But here's the problem: unlike stocks, DVC contracts have an expiration date. So while one's shares of Disney stock will likely revisit the 140 price range eventually, if prices drop on 2042 resorts and we take five years to pull out of a recession, the damage may be irreparable.

Fortunately, from reading this thread it sounds like there are enough vultures around (myself included) to still compete for DVC contracts and keep prices somewhat up. :)

Well I can tell you this boomer isn't planning on selling my DVC anytime soon. The market will bounce back once the news media stops scaring the c____p out of everybody with the 24/7 coverage of the Cvirus. This too will pass and the world will go on. I am with you on the buying aspect, if the resale prices do drop I would consider adding on again. My DH might not like that idea but one can always dream (meaning me ;)).
The media isn't scaring the heck out of people. It is to get people to act appropriately given the lack of information. It is 10x deadlier than the flu right now, there is insufficient testing in the U.S. to determine the extent of the spread, and for some population, it is much deadlier.

Sure, we could just not care and the vast majority of the population will actually be OK. However, you would be sacrificing the vast majority of those with compromised immune systems, those with respiratory issues, and those over the age of 70.

If you want to blame people for causing the hysteria, blame 1.) The government for not developing and providing enough testing; 2.) The hoarders (I'm not talking about the common folk), but those who deliberately went shop to shop to purchase all of the masks/santiation materials to deliberately sell at huge markups on amazon/eBay; and 3.) The business owners who did not react by instituting rationing measures.

When Disney drops resale restrictions on Riviera and direct resale prices, it’s game on.
If a frog had wings...

DVC is not really an investment in the way that stock, etc. are. It’s, as you said, a prepayment of vacations

It’s a way to vacation less expensively than continuing to be a cash Disney guest.
This is exactly what it is. Prepayment and protection from future room rate increases.

This is exactly what it is. Prepayment and protection from future room rate increases.
Exactly. For years we have used CRO pricing (with appropriate discounts) as the comparison point in order to determine the value of DVC. And for years (although not as much recently) DVC has come out way ahead. But if we enter a recession and Disney is forced to deeply discount CRO rooms (like for real discount, not the shady, jack the rack rate up to $700 a night and then sell it at 30% off type of discount) then DVC will not look as good by comparison. This, combined with fewer buyers should inevitably lead to a decrease in prices. It's coming.

DVC resale is nowhere close to as fluid as stock prices. I don't think you'll see big shifts for at least 6 months. Dues have already been paid. Only people selling now are those that are over-leveraged. Next January will be a different story.

The difference, though, is that stock pricing has nothing to do with DVC pricing. Stock prices used to be based, at least partly, on the long term financial health of a company. Now they are based on short term capital gains, rumors and innuendo. Yes, most companies are, in the short term, not making their normal income. But unless this issue goes on for months, most large companies should weather the storm just fine. People no longer consider stock a long term investment, they just want immediate profits....partly due to fund managers who are paid based on the immediate short term profitability.
this is going to go on for months

The media isn't scaring the heck out of people. It is to get people to act appropriately given the lack of information. It is 10x deadlier than the flu right now, there is insufficient testing in the U.S. to determine the extent of the spread, and for some population, it is much deadlier.

Sure, we could just not care and the vast majority of the population will actually be OK. However, you would be sacrificing the vast majority of those with compromised immune systems, those with respiratory issues, and those over the age of 70.

If you want to blame people for causing the hysteria, blame 1.) The government for not developing and providing enough testing; 2.) The hoarders (I'm not talking about the common folk), but those who deliberately went shop to shop to purchase all of the masks/santiation materials to deliberately sell at huge markups on amazon/eBay; and 3.) The business owners who did not react by instituting rationing measures.

Here's the deal -- we don't know **** right now.

The good news -- given the insufficient testing in the US -- that means that more people have it than we realize. Guess what?

That means that the death rate is significantly LOWER than what we are reporting. Why?

B/c almost 100% of the deaths attributable to COVID-19 are reported....but maybe only 20% of the actual cases are known...so the actual rate is likely 4 to 5 times lower than what you think.

So take a xanax and get off social media.

The good news -- given the insufficient testing in the US -- that means that more people have it than we realize. Guess what?

That means that the death rate is significantly LOWER than what we are reporting. Why?

B/c almost 100% of the deaths attributable to COVID-19 are reported....but maybe only 20% of the actual cases are known...so the actual rate is likely 4 to 5 times lower than what you think.

Yes, death rate may decrease, but death volume may increase. Why? Because people who are infected (without adequate tests) may not show all of the symptoms, go out, and infect others. Information saves lives. Frankly, we don't have that information, yet.

People are social distancing now not to save themselves for the most part, but to save the elderly, the immune compromised, and those with respiratory issues. Not to mention if the ER services are overwhelmed by coronavirus cases - that also impacts their ability to treat the normal ER cases.

Again, you can pretend everything is great - if you want to sacrifice a certain segment of the population.

The death rate in Italy is currently almost 7%. That's because people without symptoms are not tested. When they say the death rate is 1-2%, it accounts for that.
That is an average, people with pre-existing conditions have an higher change of death, up to 20% for some categories.
And if too many people take it at the same time, hospitals won't have enough resources to cure everyone and the death rate will go up. That's why we need to slow it down, to give hospitals the time to deal with it.
It must not be taken lightly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter