Coronavirus discounts on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did notice that during time of my kids spring break there is suddenly a lot of room availability but very few discounted rooms left, a couple of months ago there were hardly any rooms left at all. I wouldn't mind if they didn't do discounts, this could be good crowd control. I do know there are a lot of international folks choosing not to travel and canceling, and especially from Asian countries, so you never know. I really am hoping that the threat of the virus goes down in to the spring like the flu does though for all those who have compromised immunity.

We have a reservation for for early May and not sure if we will cancel. I'm a lung cancer survivor and DH is concerned. Yesterday was my FP date and I decided to not get them. If we go we will just skip the rides.

Why don't you get them? There's no penalty for not using them! :)

I will predict that people will move their trips to the summer. And due to fears next year of the virus coming back with cold/flu season, more people will book for next summer rather than fall too.
And then October will become less crowded again. :D

The travel industry is getting smacked right now. It's begun. Cancellations galore.

This timing stinks. DS's big marching band (120 kids) has a school trip to UK/Scotland in 5 weeks. These kids worked their behinds off for years and this is the crowning glory. They've been invited to play at historical castles and cathedrals, even to play inside Buckingham Palace with the Changing of the Guard. As of now- still going *fingers crossed* Go Highlanders! No really, go. Please.
Hopefully St Patty's parade in NYC isn't cancelled either, they're marching with NYFD. A huge honor.

Why don't you get them? There's no penalty for not using them! :)

I will predict that people will move their trips to the summer. And due to fears next year of the virus coming back with cold/flu season, more people will book for next summer rather than fall too.
And then October will become less crowded again. :D
I could have gotten one for Runaway Railroad but why take away someone else's chance for it.

I can see the potential of future discounts on the horizon.
Time will tell.
the Gift of Magic discount we are booked on (dropped in early October) was supposed to end on 1/2 and was extended to 3/6/20. will be interesting to see what if anything Disney does. maybe wait a few weeks to see how bookings are and what happens with the coronavirus?

We are in the same boat as you with JetBlue. If we have to reschedule I am hoping they would let us change our flight for a future date with out any penalties. I'll cross that bridge if and when we get to it.
in the same boat with Delta. 5 tickets that would incur a $200 change fee/pp. Hoping the same as you are. Booked our flights on 10/31, we could rebook to complete travel by 10/31/20 if we had to.

I don't know if it's virus related or not, but I just had to re-configure our trip that's coming up mid-March and a ton of availability popped up in the last two days. I was able to upgrade our room category at YC just this morning with an AP discount. It could also be related to a convention or group booking releasing a block last minute.

I think it's not just family travellers. Conferences across the country are cancelling. My company has not outright ended all travel, but it now requires ridiculous approval. Expect room blocks at hotels like Coronado, Yacht, Contemporary that were booked by conferences to suddenly come available.

I think it's not just family travellers. Conferences across the country are cancelling. My company has not outright ended all travel, but it now requires ridiculous approval. Expect room blocks at hotels like Coronado, Yacht, Contemporary that were booked by conferences to suddenly come available.
Same. I work for a big energy company. They have banned international travel and domestic requires VP approval.

We have a trip in May and I am not cancelling yet--still too far out. But if I had a trip in March I'd probably cancel.

in the same boat with Delta. 5 tickets that would incur a $200 change fee/pp. Hoping the same as you are. Booked our flights on 10/31, we could rebook to complete travel by 10/31/20 if we had to.
I noticed just as of yesterday, on the main Delta website it has "no change fees" on front page. You click on link and it provides specifics. While it doesn't necessarily cover all flights booked, It does say "nothing is more important than your safety" in bold letters. I will be using that strategy to get the fees waived for tickets booked in November (how I was to know then?!!). Waiting for a call back after I entered phone # in system, said 2 hrs, 57 minutes wait...yikes!

I noticed just as of yesterday, on the main Delta website it has "no change fees" on front page. You click on link and it provides specifics. While it doesn't necessarily cover all flights booked, It does say "nothing is more important than your safety" in bold letters. I will be using that strategy to get the fees waived for tickets booked in November (how I was to know then?!!). Waiting for a call back after I entered phone # in system, said 2 hrs, 57 minutes wait...yikes!
thanks, I will check it out tonight when I get home.

I checked all my insurance policies just in case today and double checked what the travel agents policies were - we are not going till the end of September so hopefully it will all be okay by then.

Regretting not booking directly through Disney though as there seems to be a much larger means to cancel. Coming from the uk - insurance states only if planes are cancelled or if FCO recommend non essential travel.

It is what it is - i will see what the situation is like and cancel before our 12 weeks if necessary then we will only lose the deposit.

We do have super duper hurricane and natural disaster cover though :confused3

I don't know if it's virus related or not, but I just had to re-configure our trip that's coming up mid-March and a ton of availability popped up in the last two days. I was able to upgrade our room category at YC just this morning with an AP discount. It could also be related to a convention or group booking releasing a block last minute.
In the past three days I have noticed four different conferences being canceled that were to be held in Orlando at the end of March, beginning of April. This is just companies that our farm does business with and they all said that they were erring on the side of caution do to the corona virus. Just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure.

Nearly a three hour wait!?Just goes to show how many people are calling in to ask the same questions that you are.

Booked our August flight months ago - price was high, so we booked with JetBlue TB miles. Now American has RT flights, LAX-MCO for $187 round-trip for nearly all of their flights. That's a screaming-good deal. Doubt we can back out of our Jet Blue flight and save the miles, but I would if I could.

I'm hoping for some room discounts to show up soon. We have early May booked for a UOR/WDW split stay. We had originally planned on doing WDW last weekend but it didn't work out and when I transferred the reservation to early May (in mid-January) I had a tough time finding a room at Pop but eventually snagged a standard room. We're currently paying rack rate so I'm checking multiple times a day to see if a Sun and Fun discount opens up. I have an AP rate for our UOR resort and noticed there are several conventions going on while we're there - they didn't originally have the room type I wanted for an AP rate. If prices drop there I'll probably try to upgrade to a deluxe resort for express passes. I'm just keeping an eye on things for the time being until it's close to when we can no longer cancel the WDW portion. UOR is a room only so no worries there.

ETA: Just checked and our rate at UOR has gone down by $10/night.

Last edited:
We arrive for a 10 day trip on 4/17
We will not be canceling or changing a thing. I don’t let media scare me anyway. They try but I’m not falling for their hype
Now if they want to offer big discounts I’ll take them
We go to DL in May and will not be canceling that either. We are adding on to the trip hitting up the Grand Canyon too
We are here at Disney now and I see no one with a single concern about it

Last edited:
Same. I work for a big energy company. They have banned international travel and domestic requires VP approval.

Yes, good point. My DH's company has ended all business-related travel as well.

I just did this with Delta yesterday. My wait was also 3 hours and I actually got a call back prior to the 3 hours being up. The woman who helped us with our tickets was super efficient (they must be doing this all day long at this point) and we got a full e-credit toward future tickets. These were international tickets, however. I'm not sure what their policy is for domestic flights.

late march/early april trip planned here ... I am operating on the assumption that in the next 2-3 weeks, we'll have a clearer picture of what's best for our family. the only thing we haven't done yet is to buy park passes. that's a huge outlay of cash and I want to make sure we're going before doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter