Covid 19 WBPC cruise

o&smom

DIS Veteran
Just received the email from DCL about “a handful” of people from our cruise testing positive. Anyone know if they are just mild or more severe cases. I also read of a female passenger in San Diego being admitted to the hospital. Praying everyone is okay and stays healthy.

If they actually received a test, I would assume they were pretty severe as those are the only cases typically being tested due to the lack of kits currently. Even if they were mild, that isn't an indication that someone who caught it from them wouldn't turn into a severe case. Everyone is reacting to this virus differently. Did they suggest you self-quarantine?

Unfortunately, they seem to cover the full spectrum, with at least one passenger currently on a ventilator. Though there seems to be no conclusive way to pinpoint exposure at this point, there are several passengers claiming to have left the cruise via there own stored personal vehicle, with zero contact with anyone not on the cruise since debarkation, and a definitive covid diagnosis. Not sure exactly what constitutes "handful", but I live in a city of approx 140k with 7 cases of covid...and so far I'm aware of more than this on our cruise of approx 3k, counting crew. In that context, it doesn't seem particularly "handful"-ish. Not the best of news tonight.

If they actually received a test, I would assume they were pretty severe as those are the only cases typically being tested due to the lack of kits currently. Even if they were mild, that isn't an indication that someone who caught it from them wouldn't turn into a severe case. Everyone is reacting to this virus differently. Did they suggest you self-quarantine?
Yes, we got the standard letter of self quarantine for 14 days, but we have been home for over a week, and my husband has been back at work since last Friday. We have contacted his HR, and are waiting for their advice.

Unfortunately, they seem to cover the full spectrum, with at least one passenger currently on a ventilator. Though there seems to be no conclusive way to pinpoint exposure at this point, there are several passengers claiming to have left the cruise via there own stored personal vehicle, with zero contact with anyone not on the cruise since debarkation, and a definitive covid diagnosis. Not sure exactly what constitutes "handful", but I live in a city of approx 140k with 7 cases of covid...and so far I'm aware of more than this on our cruise of approx 3k, counting crew. In that context, it doesn't seem particularly "handful"-ish. Not the best of news tonight.
Praying for everyone to recover fully.

I wonder if this would change how DCL handles its cancellation strategy in the next few weeks if not months.

LAX

At the time of arrival, none of the 1,980 passengers or crew, except for one crew member who had influenza, showed COVID-19 symptoms, McDonald said.
The crew member did test positive for Influenza A and B and has been transported to a local hospital for treatment, Brianne Page with the Port of SD said.
“This individual has influenza, pneumonia and is pending further evaluation. This individual will be tested for COVID-19 as a precaution,” McDonald said.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/disney-cruise-passenger-tests-positive-for-covid-19/2294785/

Yes, we got the standard letter of self quarantine for 14 days, but we have been home for over a week, and my husband has been back at work since last Friday. We have contacted his HR, and are waiting for their advice.
I thought it’s mandatory to be self quarantined for 14 days after travel these days. No? Your husband is off work so soon?

My understanding was that anyone travelling was to self quarantine. That’s all I’ve heard on the news for the last week and a half so I’m surprised anyone has been allowed to return to work if they’ve travelled.

Praying for all those sick. Such an awful thing the world is dealing with right now.

My understanding was that anyone travelling was to self quarantine. That’s all I’ve heard on the news for the last week and a half so I’m surprised anyone has been allowed to return to work if they’ve travelled.

Praying for all those sick. Such an awful thing the world is dealing with right now.
All passengers were given a letter that included the CDC recommendations that they self quarantine for 14 days. However, that, like most public health issues, relies on compliance of both the person and the rest of the community (ie employers.) If a person lives in a place where the government is not yet enacting public health safety measures, that could make the self quarantine very difficult to impossible.

First, the CDC can only make requirements for the USA... DCL's customer base is worldwide. Second, the reality is unfortunate that some managers don't care and 'force' people to come in and work. Good intentions only go so far when it comes to having to pay the bills and keeping children fed.

This is not my personal experience; I'm very lucky to work for state government and get paid during my self-isolation. But those are the stories I keep reading on social media. So please don't right away blame people for it, they already feel horrible as it is knowing that they may have invected others.

First, the CDC can only make requirements for the USA... DCL's customer base is worldwide. Second, the reality is unfortunate that some managers don't care and 'force' people to come in and work. Good intentions only go so far when it comes to having to pay the bills and keeping children fed.

This is not my personal experience; I'm very lucky to work for state government and get paid during my self-isolation.But those are the stories I keep reading on social media. So please don't right away blame people for it, they already feel horrible as it is knowing that they may have invected others.

This is not my personal experience; I'm very lucky to work for state government and get paid during my self-isolation. But those are the stories I keep reading on social media. So please don't right away blame people for it, they already feel horrible as it is knowing that they may have invected others.

I personally would not blame anyone unless they did it with malicious intent. I was stating what I have heard from my perspective. Where I live, if you’ve travelled, you’ve been told to self isolate. I have friends in numerous European countries who told me they’ve been told the same thing and I believe the US has said this also. There will be some countries late to the table.

It is difficult for everyone right now....no exceptions. Of course there will be people who have went to work and possibly they didn’t know. That can’t be helped. We just must all do whatever we can as it can be the difference between life and death for some people. My son is immune compromised. We have elderly friends in long term care. And some very healthy people will get this and die even though they were fit. It’s a quickly evolving disease and it takes a village as they say.

So....no blame here. Just trying to stay safe and hoping that everyone else stays safe, too! 💕

I believe the vast majority of my shipmates, like myself and my family, have very diligently adhered to the self-quarantine advisory. However, I will say, the atmosphere onboard the ship was one of near-jubilation--the world outside (what limited exposure we had to it) might be in crisis, but we were safe in our bubble, having dodged a bullet. I heard this a thousand times--since there were absolutely NO cases onboard, and since we'd been together 15 days, we were all safe. I never heard one word contrary to this.

I can't describe how schizophrenic our experience was--while we were aware there were issues back home, I think few truly grasped the full significance. By Day 12 or 13, when the information from home began to turn serious, and quarantines (with travel complications) started to get people's attention, I approached Guest Services and asked if any thought had been given to making the internet available ship-wide. I was told that wasn't practical (and that national news was available via the television), but that a (single) free phone was being made available for those who needed to contact friends/family shore-side. Not long after, a complimentary 100mb package WAS made available, but wasn't advertised. Since I was nervous and had already purchased the largest internet package at the beginning of the second week, I was getting short glimpses of what was going on, and was getting more than a little concerned. BUT--and I can't stress this enough--the atmosphere onboard was actively ANTI-reality...we were safe, we were partying, our ship's cruise staff was moving heaven and earth to keep us happy and entertained, and it was anti-social (and anti-Disney!!) to bring up anything negative.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not close to anti-Disney, but it's becoming clear that none of us had any business on that ship. Just yesterday I learned a passenger on our sailing has passed away, at least one other is on a ventilator, and between 8 and 12 have so far tested positive for Covid--and we all know how hard it is (and how sick you have to be) to get those tests. Our sailing of 3,000 souls now has a positive COVID rate approaching many mid-size CITIES. We were a gigantic floating petri dish, determined to wring every bit of enjoyment from the cruise-of-a-lifetime we'd scrimped and saved and anticipated for so long. Ignorant fish in a barrel.

Not long after, a complimentary 100mb package WAS made available, but wasn't advertised.
It was advertised. If you read the letter left in your stateroom, it clearly stated that 100 MB of free internet and free calling were being provided.

it was anti-social (and anti-Disney!!) to bring up anything negative
Your experience was very different than ours. We found that other passengers and staff were serious and thoughtful when talking about home but refrained from panicking. What benefit would it have provided if they started every day with a rundown of cities/states/countries that had issued stay at home orders? The ship wide announcements regarding itinerary and policy changes were sober while still trying to reassure everyone on board that we were not in imminent danger. And if you wanted to binge on news, you COULD do that because there are 24 hour news stations in the rooms. But I do think most people realized this was our last chance for normalcy for a long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter