Covid 19 WBPC cruise

And that was not reported to Disney. Them learning of the positives following the WPBC is the first they had knowledge of anyone on the Wonder testing positive.
Are you sure about this? There is a news article in the local paper about it. I cannot imagine that Disney was not informed by at least the CDC after she tested positive.

Sorry, no, I wish it were so oblique--I'm afraid the husband of one of my tablemates has been hospitalized, and she has done a remarkable job of networking, trying to keep us all in the loop. She knows how concerned we all are that we returned home and unwittingly put our families at risk. She's been in contact with the CDC for several days.
Praying you all stay healthy and that he makes a full recovery.

Are you sure about this? There is a news article in the local paper about it. I cannot imagine that Disney was not informed by at least the CDC after she tested positive.

Yes. I know someone who is in the loop on these things and they were not aware that there had been a passenger on a previous cruise. So at least the Wonder leadership was not made aware if shoreside had been.

Yes. I know someone who is in the loop on these things and they were not aware that there had been a passenger on a previous cruise. So at least the Wonder leadership was not made aware if shoreside had been.
Yes, I agree it would have been shoreside that was notified. I am sure those in charge on the Wonder would have liked a heads up.

Yes, I agree it would have been shoreside that was notified. I am sure those in charge on the Wonder would have liked a heads up.

Given the protocols they were already doing without having been told, I'm sure they would have to quarantine the crew who had direct interaction with her.

But for the grace of Disney, there go I. I was supposed to be on the March 14 Fantasy. We were halfway to P.C. when the cruise was cancelled. I've thought a lot about that in that week. But at the time, our thinking was that DCL is amazing at keeping things clean and so many people were cancelling that maybe it would be a better place to ride out the Covid-curve. I look back now and realize that we were wrong. We couldn't have known that then. But I'm glad now that DCL pulled the plug on that cruise.

I was on that cruise, and we were being very clean with washing hands, the crew washing everything within sight, and using wipes. Additionally, we, and I saw a lot of people doing that too, were not touching doors, walls, stair railings, and such. It taught me how contagious this virus is.

It was in news reports and shared on various sites. I'm sure Disney has employees who track mentions of Disney in news articles.
But the news story was published on March 16. That’s 10 days after the WBPC sailed. Even if Disney read the story, they ship would have sailed. There is also still no clear indication she was infected during her trip.
DCL isn’t perfect, but Monday morning quarterbacking the situation doesn’t make sense either. Decisions were made based on available data not what was learned 10 days later or what people know now.

But the news story was published on March 16. That’s 10 days after the WBPC sailed. Even if Disney read the story, they ship would have sailed. There is also still no clear indication she was infected during her trip.
DCL isn’t perfect, but Monday morning quarterbacking the situation doesn’t make sense either. Decisions were made based on available data not what was learned 10 days later or what people know now.
But you don’t think it would have been responsible for Disney to have at least let the ship know, if not the passengers? Being given information about a POSSIBLE passenger exposed to Covid 19 just prior to our embarkation would have been taken to heart and passed on to my husband’s employer. We were told over and over again - no one is showing signs of being sick.

But you don’t think it would have been responsible for Disney to have at least let the ship know, if not the passengers? Being given information about a POSSIBLE passenger exposed to Covid 19 just prior to our embarkation would have been taken to heart and passed on to my husband’s employer. We were told over and over again - no one is showing signs of being sick.

I think it would have been telling you information that wasn't useful and would have only caused unnecessary fear since it had been 14 days. The passenger you are referring to disembarked on March 2 and the ship then went on and did another 4 night sailing before beginning the Panama Canal cruise. It was March 16 when the story was reported so it had already been 14 days and most people show symptoms within 5 and I believe it's somewhere around 97% if I read correctly will show it within 11 days.

No because she wasn’t on our sailing, and, but the time the COULD have known due to that news story, 14 days had passed and there were still no symptoms from anyone on board including all the crew who would have been exposed to her. Also, by the 16th, we were hustling back to San Diego. Nothing else could have been done at that point other than guests panicking. Panicked guests with no where to go would have been much more likely to cause problems on the ship.

I truly believe that DCL, like all of us, did not think that anyone on that ship has COVID-19 and made their decisions based on that belief. And at that time, Cozumel and Grand Cayman were not thought to have any cases where we could pick it up. Instead, even if someone got sick the day after they debarked, so Friday or Saturday, they still would have probably contracted the virus during a shore excursion not on board based on the longest incubation time of 14 days.

If people were getting sick on the ship and not reporting it, that’s another issue and goes back to personal responsibility like those forms you fill out before boarding.

I think this conversation really comes down to the fact that there is some desire to find fault in Disney’s actions when they were operating from the same incomplete facts the rest of us were. I’m scared and sad abut the outbreak just like everyone else, but it doesn’t help me to assign blame to DCL when I was making similar choices for my family based on the same information.

If I read it correctly, the lady who was on the Wonder who subsequently contracted the virus was onboard two cruises before the WBPC cruise, not directly before.
The person who was taken off the ship in Grand Caymen was not for Covid related problems.
The Wonder went through the first PC lock at the same time as a Princess cruise ship, which then stopped and turned round and went back while Wonder carried on. This was the same day it was announced Disneyworld was to close and DCL was suspending all new departures.
After Grand Caymen, the ship had 10 straight sea days, no one on, no one off, the crew had their temperatures checked regularly each day, and as I understand it, no one developed symptoms before disembarking in San Diego.
I would suggest that if anyone onboard was going to develop symptoms of the virus, it is more than likely they would have done so before disembarking.
Surely the probability is that those displaying symptoms now got infected at the airport or on their flight home.

And that was not reported to Disney. Them learning of the positives following the WPBC is the first they had knowledge of anyone on the Wonder testing positive.
Sorry, but I have to say that is not true. When I read it here I reported it to Disney, received an email acknowledgement of my report and received a phone call saying that they were aware of it.

Sorry, but I have to say that is not true. When I read it here I reported it to Disney, received an email acknowledgement of my report and received a phone call saying that they were aware of it.
Just because they were aware of it doesn't mean they made the ship aware of it. They may have been investigating before panicking anyone.

The Times of San Diego is reporting a crew member has tested positive and was hospitalized

Those aboard the Wonder were NOT.

Quite possible. Maybe the key thing here is that we haven't heard of any issue with the "in between" 4-day cruise (3/2-3/6).

When the WBPC sailed it was already after the Diamond Princess debacle, and the Grand Princess situation had started. I was surprised that all cruises hadn’t already been shut down. But I can understand that someone who paid a lot of $ for a cruise they were planning for probably over a year wasn’t about to cancel and lose all that money. I also get that cruise lines want to make money and no line wanted to be the first to pull the plug and lose all that revenue.

We now know that the virus was spreading in New Orleans much earlier than anyone thought. It would only have taken a few infected people, who were asymptomatic but still contagious, to spread it around the ship during the 14 day cruise. I hope that everyone who is sick recovers. It is just an awful situation.

If they actually received a test, I would assume they were pretty severe as those are the only cases typically being tested due to the lack of kits currently. Even if they were mild, that isn't an indication that someone who caught it from them wouldn't turn into a severe case. Everyone is reacting to this virus differently. Did they suggest you self-quarantine?

I wouldn't say you're wrong, because maybe in your area of the US you are correct, but I can say for sure in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area this is simply not true. You need to have symptoms. They don't need to be severe. You can't just walk in and say my sister has Covid so I'm curious if I do too.
Also not everyone who is positive shows symptoms at all. I work in a large teaching hospital in radiology. One of my coworkers was telling me yesterday her throat felt scratchy and lost her sense of smell. I have terrible allergies and have these symptoms all the time. She had no fever, no cough and no shortness of breath. I am not an alarmist so I told her it's probably allergies, after all spring came early this year. Our trees look like early May right now. Since she had carpooled with another coworker who was awaiting test results, she reported her seemingly minor symptoms to Employee Health. They did the rapid 6 hr test and it came back positive. :eek: By last night she said her chest felt achy when taking a deep breath.
Today I am feeling fatigued & brain fog, 3 coworkers have a low fever. Many others have scratchy throats. They ordered testing on all of us. As of now they are reserving the rapid 6 hour tests for ER and critical care (ICU) staff which I feel is very reasonable. We work in breast imaging so it's important for those going through breast cancer treatment right now or someone with a palpable mass, but for 95% of the rest of our pts, they can wait a month or 2. I don't think for a minute that we are as important right now as those actually taking care of Covid pts.
So I'll find out in 2-5 days. In the meantime, we're all put out of work next week pending results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter