Not open for further replies.
We traveled:
Aug 2020 0/4 (WDW/Universal)
Nov 2020 0/2 (WDW)
Feb 2021 0/5 (WDW)
March 2021 0/4 Wisconsin
May 2021 0/5 Wisconsin/ chicago
June 2021 0/6 (wdw/universal)
August 2021 Chicago/milwaukee/new york city (moving family via 3 cars, and moving truck, and visiting in each city as tourists) 0/10
Sept 2021 0/2 (wdw)
April 2022 0/2* (universal)
April 2022 0/5 (NJ and NYC)
June 2022 4/4* (plus 0 for 4 other people we spent time with in fl . 3 in my house tested positive. 4th got symptoms but 3 neg home tests...but she had covid in Jan (rest of us did not as we social distanced and masked in house).

* didn't mask up as we had previously on these trips

I'm 99% certain we got it at wdw at an indoor show. Two sets of people coughing consistently throughout the show in front and back of us. Within 2 days, 1 at a time got sick. Luckily was at end of trip and we had driven to FL. I got sick on drive home. DH got symptoms 2 hrs from home.DD had such mild symptoms we thought it was heat exhausted with 100 degree days. DH and myself had it worse. Dr confirmed covid (our home tests positive too)

We will be back in FL in September. Will be masking up indoors for sure.

Well, DH and I both avoided Covid until one of us got it yesterday....had two trips canceled on us, canceled another on our own, but finally decided to take a trip last week to Los Cabos Mexico. We got our second booster a few weeks before the trip. We were in the very tiny minority of people in Newark, Dallas and San Jose Del Cabo airports wearing masks. We wore KN95s for the entire time. We managed to get to our resort in Mexico and had a great time. Eight days/nights in paradise. We chose this resort because all of the dining options are outside. Entrance to the room is from the outside as well. We spent time outside at the pool all week. We had a long couples massage scheduled...and we moved it to a private outdoor cabana on the beach to avoid indoors. Our massage therapists wore KN95s, even though we just had cloth around three sides of the cabana...and a nice breeze. Had an amazing trip....but....

We headed back on Friday, home very late on that night. Again, were in the less than 5% of travelers masked. And on Saturday morning my husband woke up...scratchy throat, achy, and yup...sure enough he tested positive. So far, I'm negative and have no symptoms. If he got it...as careful as we were, lots and lots of people are in for it this summer. My husband is doing well...he has a cough that is definitely a chest cough, low fever, some chills and achy....but our doc said the second booster is definitely helping in diminishing his symptoms. His appetite is normal....he even had a glass of wine last night while we watched a movie.

Based on the 3-4 day incubation period for Omicron Ba5, the doctor is pretty sure he got it in Mexico. DH did not see another man in the only public bathroom we used all week...at .the pool. We had many outdoor conversations with unmasked pool servers/attendants and restaurant servers, but figured outside was safe for that. Anyone in our room to clean...do turn-down service...etc, were all masked. Whenever we came back into our room, we opened the wall of sliding glass doors to air it out and turned the overhead fan on. And so, like you....we have literally no idea where he got it. But...as I said, I expect there is a ton of virus out there. My husband's home test is not reported...like millions of others.

We're so glad that we took the trip, and very thankful that he didn't get it until after we were home. His cough is nasty enough that there's no way we could have gone to the pool or enjoyed meals at the restaurants....it would have definitely been room service in our room, or on the balcony.

I'm not masking inside with him...I've been around him all of the days he was likely pre-symptomatic. We drove home in our car from the airport....slept in our bed on Friday night. I'm almost just wanting to get it....get it over with for now. I don't see the point in trying to fight it anymore.
Hope your dh feels better soon and you don't come down with symptoms.

Well, DH and I both avoided Covid until one of us got it yesterday....had two trips canceled on us, canceled another on our own, but finally decided to take a trip last week to Los Cabos Mexico. We got our second booster a few weeks before the trip. We were in the very tiny minority of people in Newark, Dallas and San Jose Del Cabo airports wearing masks. We wore KN95s for the entire time. We managed to get to our resort in Mexico and had a great time. Eight days/nights in paradise. We chose this resort because all of the dining options are outside. Entrance to the room is from the outside as well. We spent time outside at the pool all week. We had a long couples massage scheduled...and we moved it to a private outdoor cabana on the beach to avoid indoors. Our massage therapists wore KN95s, even though we just had cloth around three sides of the cabana...and a nice breeze. Had an amazing trip....but....

We headed back on Friday, home very late on that night. Again, were in the less than 5% of travelers masked. And on Saturday morning my husband woke up...scratchy throat, achy, and yup...sure enough he tested positive. So far, I'm negative and have no symptoms. If he got it...as careful as we were, lots and lots of people are in for it this summer. My husband is doing well...he has a cough that is definitely a chest cough, low fever, some chills and achy....but our doc said the second booster is definitely helping in diminishing his symptoms. His appetite is normal....he even had a glass of wine last night while we watched a movie.

Based on the 3-4 day incubation period for Omicron Ba5, the doctor is pretty sure he got it in Mexico. DH did not see another man in the only public bathroom we used all week...at .the pool. We had many outdoor conversations with unmasked pool servers/attendants and restaurant servers, but figured outside was safe for that. Anyone in our room to clean...do turn-down service...etc, were all masked. Whenever we came back into our room, we opened the wall of sliding glass doors to air it out and turned the overhead fan on. And so, like you....we have literally no idea where he got it. But...as I said, I expect there is a ton of virus out there. My husband's home test is not reported...like millions of others.

We're so glad that we took the trip, and very thankful that he didn't get it until after we were home. His cough is nasty enough that there's no way we could have gone to the pool or enjoyed meals at the restaurants....it would have definitely been room service in our room, or on the balcony.

I'm not masking inside with him...I've been around him all of the days he was likely pre-symptomatic. We drove home in our car from the airport....slept in our bed on Friday night. I'm almost just wanting to get it....get it over with for now. I don't see the point in trying to fight it anymore.

My mom came down with it 4 days after my dad first had symptoms. She did not mask around him. She was feeling hopeful until she wasn’t. They are upper 80’s and fully boosted and did fine

My mom came down with it 4 days after my dad first had symptoms. She did not mask around him. She was feeling hopeful until she wasn’t. They are upper 80’s and fully boosted and did fine

Yep, I'm still in the "hopeful" category...just tested, and negative. Tested DH...and used an expired test BTW...just to see if it would still work, and the "T" line showed up immediately (so some of the expiration dates on these tests are a bit early imo). However, I am expecting to get it. I can't imagine that he got it in some freaky way....possibly even outdoors, and I won't get it while swimming inside my covid-filled house. ;)

We're at 60 hours or so post-symptom development for my husband. 3-4 days is the norm for people developing symptoms with this variant. I won't go out in public...thankfully my employees can continue to cover my part of the schedule for this coming week which is great. I also would imagine that there are a zillion people walking around with covid, unmasked at this point. In this thread alone, we're seeing lots of people who have been traveling like crazy and have not gotten covid...until now. So, apparently we waited to travel until the absolute most contagious variant kicked up....lol. But, there was certainly no way to know that back in January when we booked it. And since DH's symptoms haven't gotten any worse....we're both really glad that we took the trip.

Sorry to hear about the recent positive tests and hope that everyone recovers quickly and fully. I meant to report back here earlier, since I followed this thread and other social media outlets like a hawk before our latest trip. We also know some people in our circle who all recently came back from Disney World with Covid. We were in WDW from June 17-25 and we managed to avoid it. Probably with lots of luck, since it’s everywhere right now. But wanted to report what we did in case it helps others.

We are still careful for various reasons (immune compromised and high risk family members plus we have some long Covid in our circle and want to avoid that). We know the risks and accept them but try to mitigate as much as possible. DH and I haven’t had Covid, that we know of, and this was our 3rd trip since park reopening. We are out of state APs so we decided that we wouldn’t be focused on rides and other indoor crowded activities this time. We wore KN95 and PF94 masks at all times indoors (including in the airports and on the plane). We limited time in crowds and went to plans B and C when needed. We took Ubers/Lyfts instead of buses. We also limited indoor dining but we did eat indoors a few times. In restaurants we wore masks until our food arrived, then we put on disposable face shields so we could eat “underneath” them. Did we get a few funny looks? Yes but we didn’t care.

All in all, everyone was nice or minded their own business when we wore masks. Only one rude comment was made to me by another guest. I was walking around Crescent Lake (we exercised outside instead of using the gym) and I had my mask around my neck on a lanyard. A guy at the Boardwalk yelled out an inappropriate comment about me and my mask wearing. I didn’t engage- actually just laughed to myself because I wasn’t even wearing it at the time! We had a great trip and tested a few times after coming home- all negative. I know that it’s likely to get us at some point, especially since our full-time work from home has ended and we’re back in the office around lots of unmasked people. We take precautions in daily life because I don’t want to be the one to pass it to my immunocompromised parent, while trying to live life at the same time. Hope everyone here stays healthy and recovers quickly! This is a great thread so I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences!

Well, another one bites the dust. I tested negative early this morning with no symptoms. Since my husband has Covid with a bunch of symptoms, I'm hyper-aware and when I began to feel the tiniest tickle in the back of my throat, I tested again...just hours later, and I am now positive. Hoping I follow my husband's course...which hasn't been too awful. It's almost exactly 72 hours from when DH began to feel the first symptoms. He tested the next day with more significant symptoms than I currently have...and got a very dark line right away. My line is a bit fainter, which seems to line up with my current level of symptoms. Oh well....we fought the good fight.

Well, another one bites the dust. I tested negative early this morning with no symptoms. Since my husband has Covid with a bunch of symptoms, I'm hyper-aware and when I began to feel the tiniest tickle in the back of my throat, I tested again...just hours later, and I am now positive. Hoping I follow my husband's course...which hasn't been too awful. It's almost exactly 72 hours from when DH began to feel the first symptoms. He tested the next day with more significant symptoms than I currently have...and got a very dark line right away. My line is a bit fainter, which seems to line up with my current level of symptoms. Oh well....we fought the good fight.
The color of the line means nothing a line is a line. Yes, I have worked for a manufacturer of instant-type tests.

on your other post you mentioned test expiration dates. I got an email from Amazon with a link that the FDA extended expiration dates on (some?) test kits. I test every week or two (allergy sufferer and paranoid to boot sadly). I have ordered a couple different types from amazon. I have not had time to check the link to see what tests but I found it interesting.

I got an email from Amazon with a link that the FDA extended expiration dates on (some?) test kits.
Yes they've advised some months back that they routinely check with the companies that make authorized ones to see if their expiration dates can be extended. It's advised to check that list especially if you got your tests from the government since they sent out all different kinds with different expiration dates. The reasoning was the manufacturers are continuously testing their product for shelf life

on your other post you mentioned test expiration dates. I got an email from Amazon with a link that the FDA extended expiration dates on (some?) test kits. I test every week or two (allergy sufferer and paranoid to boot sadly). I have ordered a couple different types from amazon. I have not had time to check the link to see what tests but I found it interesting.

Oh, that's good to know! My two tests today say that they expire later this week. Early this morning I was negative, then once I developed symptoms I tested positive....like a zombie on the walking dead or something, I'm "turning". So far, not too bad...feeling a bit achy now with sore throat. Ordered an instacart grocery order for tomorrow....my work is covered. DH was able to work 1/2 day today. We're lucky we can ride it out at home. I'll continue to use the tests we have to see when I'm no longer positive.

Oh, that's good to know! My two tests today say that they expire later this week. Early this morning I was negative, then once I developed symptoms I tested positive....like a zombie on the walking dead or something, I'm "turning". So far, not too bad...feeling a bit achy now with sore throat. Ordered an instacart grocery order for tomorrow....my work is covered. DH was able to work 1/2 day today. We're lucky we can ride it out at home. I'll continue to use the tests we have to see when I'm no longer positive.
Good luck! My husband and I tested positive for the full 10 days—I was surprised because I had the impression that most people test negative by day 6 no but I’ve heard more and more that is not necessarily the case. Luckily he could work from home the whole time as well.

Good luck! My husband and I tested positive for the full 10 days—I was surprised because I had the impression that most people test negative by day 6 no but I’ve heard more and more that is not necessarily the case. Luckily he could work from home the whole time as well.

Thanks...we'll see how it goes I guess. Day two of symptoms for me....and we're following the most common symptoms for this variant to a "t"....sore throat, chest cough, congested head, achy....I have a low grade fever and chills....DH no longer has fever/chills and seemed to be improving a bit by yesterday afternoon. Hoping to follow his path which would mean I'm feeling a lot better by Friday. I'm hoping to be back to work next week....if I'm still testing positive I'll let my customers know and give them the option of having me come masked. I have a lot of customers who are 110% over covid and seemingly would let me come into their homes hacking without a mask on. Not sure how many are keeping up with reports that previous infections are giving very little immunity to this new variant. People who have recovered from 3-4 weeks ago are getting it again. I'm sure plenty are out and about with it at this point.

Sorry to hear you got it too. Feel better soon!

My 27 year old son is living with us for a bit as he relocates back to town for a new job. He went to a wedding a few weeks ago on a Saturday where his girlfriend and her family all turned out to have had Covid. They all came down with symptoms on Sunday, the day after the wedding, so they all must have had it before the wedding. But his exposure was Saturday. He tested positive on Tuesday (no symptoms, only tested because of the exposure). He stayed with her family for 5 days, then came home where he sleeps on the living room sofa, so centrally located with no doors. We avoided getting close to him, but didn't close him off away in a closed room (wasn't an option). He continued testing positive that whole time, but never had symptoms. No idea when he finally stopped testing positive because he quit testing. It was a crazy experience. We were very fortunate that nobody here caught it from him (5 adults in the house).

My 27 year old son is living with us for a bit as he relocates back to town for a new job. He went to a wedding a few weeks ago on a Saturday where his girlfriend and her family all turned out to have had Covid. They all came down with symptoms on Sunday, the day after the wedding, so they all must have had it before the wedding. But his exposure was Saturday. He tested positive on Tuesday (no symptoms, only tested because of the exposure). He stayed with her family for 5 days, then came home where he sleeps on the living room sofa, so centrally located with no doors. We avoided getting close to him, but didn't close him off away in a closed room (wasn't an option). He continued testing positive that whole time, but never had symptoms. No idea when he finally stopped testing positive because he quit testing. It was a crazy experience. We were very fortunate that nobody here caught it from him (5 adults in the house).

I'm thinking the fact that he was asymptomatic had to have helped in with guys not getting it. When my husband started with symptoms I put a mask on for awhile, but our house is 1600 sq ft, we don't have a spare bed and I didn't want to sleep on the couch. It seemed impossible to avoid it once he really started with a deep chest cough and congestion, so I just said...screw it...and gave in. Plus I knew I was already exposed to him when he had the minor tickle in his throat the whole night before. I wish getting covid and recovering well from it was sort of a "get out of jail free" pass....at least for awhile....as it once was, but that seems to be changing as the variants become more transmissible and are coming faster and faster. The next big one is supposedly coming out of India...Omicron Ba2.75...and is 3-4x *more* transmissible than Ba5, which is insanely transmissible. It's still really affecting the economy with not enough workers available to work at any given time. it just seems like we've got quite a ways to go.

I'm thinking the fact that he was asymptomatic had to have helped in with guys not getting it. When my husband started with symptoms I put a mask on for awhile, but our house is 1600 sq ft, we don't have a spare bed and I didn't want to sleep on the couch. It seemed impossible to avoid it once he really started with a deep chest cough and congestion, so I just said...screw it...and gave in. Plus I knew I was already exposed to him when he had the minor tickle in his throat the whole night before. I wish getting covid and recovering well from it was sort of a "get out of jail free" pass....at least for awhile....as it once was, but that seems to be changing as the variants become more transmissible and are coming faster and faster. The next big one is supposedly coming out of India...Omicron Ba2.75...and is 3-4x *more* transmissible than Ba5, which is insanely transmissible. It's still really affecting the economy with not enough workers available to work at any given time. it just seems like we've got quite a ways to go.
Yes, I was hoping all the way through that him being asymptomatic would help protect us. I'm sure that was a big piece of it. We are all vaccinated and single boosted, but none of us have had the second booster, and our first boosters were last October/November.

I would have done the same as you and just given in without him staying at his girlfriend's family's place. Honestly, I was shocked when he kept testing positive. They even told him to come back into the office to work (masked) after the first week out.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if in a few months it comes out with experts saying the current variant has a shorter time span for symptoms after exposure.

For us, it was roughly 2 days (and I think my teen who had minor symptoms may have even been just only 36 hours - we didn't realize she even had covid until I came down with it a day later). Our FL relatives who we spent time with 2 days before DD got symptoms never got it.

When my son and his g/f attended a wedding in May, they also developed symptoms within 2 days after the event. We spent an entire day with them 2 days before the wedding and we didn't get it. However, his g/f family was with them at wedding and they did get Covid.

I too would just have given up and let nature take its course in your shoes. Too bad you don’t get a reprieve for awhile after contacting it. I had not heard of the new strain out of India but am not surprised. Ugh. I’m going to just keep trying to dodge the bullet.

Seems like Disney is a COVID case waiting to happen. After nearly 2.5 years free and clear of COVID we spent 1 freaking day at MK (7/1) and sure enough on 7/3 a little throat tickle, 7/5 wife and I positive. 7/13 one of our 2 children positive. Clearly from one of us. Kind of makes you wonder about the infection time laid out by the CDC.

We spent 5 days at Universal back after xmas and came home fine (funny thing, our first ever trip to Universal due to the various value cuts implemented by Disney). Universal was requiring all guests to wear masks in line and had ample sanitizer around the park and rides. While at Disney, we were generally the only ones wearing masks insides the attractions and on their buses, sadly for us not while in a line. I kept looking for sanitizer on rides, most were empty. I guess one more cheap cut in cost by Disney. The restaurant at the New Orleans resort offered no outside seating. So for the first time in 2+ years we ate inside. We stayed several tables away from other people.

Long story, we had to change some of our behavior that has worked since the beginning due to the shortsightedness of Disney. As a results, we got mildly sick. Had we not tested at Walgreens neither of us would have believed we had COVID. Since we were expecting to spend some other time with at risk family it was prudent to find out. It was weaker than the weakest cold that I've ever had.

And we drove to both parks.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if in a few months it comes out with experts saying the current variant has a shorter time span for symptoms after exposure.

For us, it was roughly 2 days (and I think my teen who had minor symptoms may have even been just only 36 hours - we didn't realize she even had covid until I came down with it a day later). Our FL relatives who we spent time with 2 days before DD got symptoms never got it.

When my son and his g/f attended a wedding in May, they also developed symptoms within 2 days after the event. We spent an entire day with them 2 days before the wedding and we didn't get it. However, his g/f family was with them at wedding and they did get Covid.

I agree with you....when I look back at time frame, I didn't even make it 72 hours....DH felt throat tickle close to midnight on Friday, I had throat tickle late morning on Monday....so closer to 58-60 hours. Seems like you guys are the same. This sucker is just going to rip through the population if people are out in about in any meaningful way. And again...we're two positives that aren't counted anywhere...just home testing and isolating on our own. There has to be at least one million Americans getting this every day. Checked in with doc, nothing needed...and since neither of us are seriously ill... didn't want to do paxlovid with all of the rebound stories. But...if I get this again in a month or three...I can't keep staying home for as many days as it will take to not be contagious and keep my customers happy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one of my employees doesn't get this before I recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter