Covid Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think scientists are looking to study people like you guys....to see why some people seem to have more natural immunity. I was hoping that I was going to be one of the special ones....but then saw the dreaded second line and realized I'm with the rest of the herd. Oh well.
Yeah, I've read some articles.
I think we are just naturally immune to majority of illnesses. We don't do anything special mind you, it just is the way it is. The way we are.
We rarely get the flu or colds.
I've been at my employer for close to 30 years and other than a case of diverticulitis have had only 1 other illness absence in all my employment time.
DH isn't quite as lucky as I am but close.
DD and DGD are both like me. DD went her entire childhood avoiding being sick. As a single parent most of that time I was ever grateful too.
Anyway, I'm not sure we are the best candidates to study since our ability to avoid illness extends well beyond Covid.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if in a few months it comes out with experts saying the current variant has a shorter time span for symptoms after exposure.

For us, it was roughly 2 days (and I think my teen who had minor symptoms may have even been just only 36 hours - we didn't realize she even had covid until I came down with it a day later). Our FL relatives who we spent time with 2 days before DD got symptoms never got it.

When my son and his g/f attended a wedding in May, they also developed symptoms within 2 days after the event. We spent an entire day with them 2 days before the wedding and we didn't get it. However, his g/f family was with them at wedding and they did get Covid.

This is already known to be true and the information is "out there." When a person gets their first symptoms, they were exposed 1-3 days prior. This has been the case for all of the omicron variants.

This is already known to be true and the information is "out there." When a person gets their first symptoms, they were exposed 1-3 days prior. This has been the case for all of the omicron variants.
For some reason I thought it was 3 to 4 days. My bad!

I'm seeing reports (even on here) of people getting it again a month or two after
testing positive. Is that possible? My symptoms consisted of a very congested nose and
slightly sore throat and slight cough. 48-72 hours they disappeared. To be replaced by fatigue
that lasted several days. That is gone now.

Traveling next month. Get a booster? Or will it help? Is there any natural immunity from this
variant?

No! I keep telling him he should do that.
Around here they test for antibodies when you donate blood. It's a way to encourage folks to donate. They figure people want to know if they have the antibodies so they throw in that test and send you the results

Around here they test for antibodies when you donate blood. It's a way to encourage folks to donate. They figure people want to know if they have the antibodies so they throw in that test and send you the results
Good to know. Thank you!

I'm seeing reports (even on here) of people getting it again a month or two after
testing positive. Is that possible? My symptoms consisted of a very congested nose and
slightly sore throat and slight cough. 48-72 hours they disappeared. To be replaced by fatigue

Traveling next month. Get a booster? Or will it help? Is there any natural immunity from this
variant?
Yes - possible. My friend is an epidemiologist and she says that the 'natural immunity' window is much shorter for COVID now than it used to be. I think I recall she said 4-6 weeks? That's why they're suggesting high-risk folks get their second booster, even if they had COVID very recently.

variant?
Yes, this happened to me. DD went to a Friend's for Thanksgiving 2020. I ended up getting sick & testing positive about a week later. I had a mild case & thought that I was immune at that point, based on the knowledge that was out there at the time. Fast forward to February 2021 & I test positive but with far worse symptoms. Ended up w/ Covid pneumonia. My Dr told me that I was the 4th patient they had seen that had tested positive w/in 60 days during that time. That includes negative results in between because during the beginning of the pandemic, we had to have a negative test to go back to work.

I (a nurse) have not had Covid (unless I was totally asymptomatic). My daughter had it in January - I am guessing omicron (from show choir exposure) we are all vaxed. She had laryngitis. That’s all. Between me and the school 5 negative home tests for her. But I took her for a pcr before an overnight trip with 4 girls per room. Just before they were supposed to leave it came back positive. I am part of a Covid study where we do a weekly symptom checker and longer monthly survey about what PPE we wear. I go in Aug 2 for my second blood, nasal swab and saliva test. Last test 6 months ago PCR was negative and I had spike antibodies most likely from vaccine. I have not gotten the second booster yet but qualify based on age. I am curious to see what my antibodies show. I don’t think they got all the testing done on me a last time because I was very dehydrated from running around sweating like a mad woman on a crazy shift. I had not drank even a sip for hours. I barely had any saliva and after mult tries someone finally got one of the several tubes needed for labs. I’m going to hydrate like crazy this time to see if they can get complete tests run. When I have done my own home tests I have usually done a throat swab as all my tests have had appropriate swabs for it. We do those terrible almost brain biopsy swabs at work for a reason (I hope).

But I took her for a pcr before an overnight trip with 4 girls per room. Just before they were supposed to leave it came back positive
The PCR test often shows positive several weeks after you recover. We each did one nearly a month after recovery and 2 out of 3 came back positive still. The general rule of thumb is PCR test is more accurate to show the initial positive sooner, and 2x negative rapid test indicates recovery.

https://wi.mit.edu/news/new-researc...ay-test-positive-covid-19-long-after-recovery

The PCR test often shows positive several weeks after you recover. We each did one nearly a month after recovery and 2 out of 3 came back positive still. The general rule of thumb is PCR test is more accurate to show the initial positive sooner, and 2x negative rapid test indicates recovery.

https://wi.mit.edu/news/new-researc...ay-test-positive-covid-19-long-after-recovery

She had no symptoms at all before we started testing. I believe her viral load was just really low and that’s why the home tests never caught it. Also I didn’t catch it from her either and had fairly regular PCR tests back then. Idk if she could transmit it to others or not but I wasn’t about to put her in a hotel room of 4 girls

She had no symptoms at all before we started testing. I believe her viral load was just really low and that’s why the home tests never caught it. Also I didn’t catch it from her either and had fairly regular PCR tests back then. Idk if she could transmit it to others or not but I wasn’t about to put her in a hotel room of 4 girls
Oh I see, I misread and thought she had it (symptoms) and then recovered. Sorry about that.

I understand completely.... I'd have done the same.

Tested ourselves and both were negative.

On the expiration date our iHealth ones we took before we left for SDC had been extended (expiration date originally of 7/6) and the Roche ones we took today (expiration date originally of 7/26) had also been extended (although that I guess was announced several months ago we hadn't really paid attention) so def. make sure you're checking what's in your cabinet most especially if you got the tests from the government since they sent out all different kinds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter