Covid Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been to WDW 2x (March 2021 and Dec 2021) and Universal May 22-25. None of us have gotten sick any of the trips and did not wear masks except when required the last 2 trips.

Having said that... We went in Jan 2020, before it was known to be iin the US. DH had been sick earlier in the month and still had a awful cough and was not back to normal. I made him go to the dr a few days before we left to confirm a case of the man-flu and to make sure he didn't have bronchitis or something. They tested him for flu, strep etc. Did lung xrays. Everything was negative, but his lungs looked weird. They gave him some cough suppresant and an inhaler and a zpack and told him he was good to go, anything he had was no longer contagious, since the symptoms started so long ago and he wasn't running a fever. No one else in the family ever got whatever it was. Knowing what we know now, I feel badly about that trip.

My two teens and I were at WDW 05/29 to 06/07. We ate indoors, did not wear masks, and carried on as though Covid didn't exist. We all tested positive within 24 - 72 hours after returning home. Both the children had a mild cough that lasted 2-3 days. I had mild sneezing and a strange knee pain that lasted for a few hours. It felt like a seasonal allergy to us.

We are triple vaxxed.

Glad you didn't get it. A lot of people seem to be reporting getting it at WDW from mid-May to mid-June. And even though reporting is way down and not as accurate as it once was, the trends are holding true. There was less covid around in mid-late April....the numbers tripled by mid-may, and seem to have peaked and be retreating now.
It was kind of like falling dominoes across April (at least in the Northeast where omicron was really ramping up in early April) - beginning of April all the schools dropped their mask mandates, mid-April you had the airplane mask mandate end, Easter weekend (lots of families getting together) and Spring Break travel from the Northeast to everywhere else.

My two teens and I were at WDW 05/29 to 06/07. We ate indoors, did not wear masks, and carried on as though Covid didn't exist. We all tested positive within 24 - 72 hours after returning home. Both the children had a mild cough that lasted 2-3 days. I had mild sneezing and a strange knee pain that lasted for a few hours. It felt like a seasonal allergy to us.

We are triple vaxxed.

I haven't stayed UTD on varying symtoms; but as soon as I mentioned my legs and lower back were extremely sore; my wife informed me that it was a very common symptom with the latest strains. I'm just glad I didn't lose taste/smell, especially since people reported that lasting for months after the virus. I love food way too much to give up tasting it. 🤣

I haven't stayed UTD on varying symtoms; but as soon as I mentioned my legs and lower back were extremely sore; my wife informed me that it was a very common symptom with the latest strains. I'm just glad I didn't lose taste/smell, especially since people reported that lasting for months after the virus. I love food way too much to give up tasting it. 🤣

Yes, my husband's co-worker....very fit and in her early 40s got pretty sick with this latest strain. Fever and what she described as severe muscle aches and specifically....kidney pain. She has no idea where she got it.

What's interesting in this thread is that for the most part it seems like those who dd get it on a trip to WDW, based on timing of symptoms got it while at WDW and began to notice symptoms when they were on the way home, or a couple of days after they got back. And that makes sense with queues and being packed into attractions with lots of people, indoor dining etc. It's been helpful reading this as we are taking our first trip in 2 weeks (to Mexico). And still....even if we do everything right, we might get it. But....it's time to travel for us.....we've cancelled one really great trip planned pre-pandemic, and another two along the way due to surges, and well....it's time to take the leap.

Yes, my husband's co-worker....very fit and in her early 40s got pretty sick with this latest strain. Fever and what she described as severe muscle aches and specifically....kidney pain. She has no idea where she got it.

What's interesting in this thread is that for the most part it seems like those who dd get it on a trip to WDW, based on timing of symptoms got it while at WDW and began to notice symptoms when they were on the way home, or a couple of days after they got back. And that makes sense with queues and being packed into attractions with lots of people, indoor dining etc. It's been helpful reading this as we are taking our first trip in 2 weeks (to Mexico). And still....even if we do everything right, we might get it. But....it's time to travel for us.....we've cancelled one really great trip planned pre-pandemic, and another two along the way due to surges, and well....it's time to take the leap.
And they say Covid is never going away so I agree at this point it’s best we get back to living as close to our old lives as we can. Especially with omicron being much more mild.

But....it's time to travel for us.....we've cancelled one really great trip planned pre-pandemic, and another two along the way due to surges, and well....it's time to take the leap.

That’s how we felt too, even getting it once we got home, we really enjoyed our vacation. It’s been way too long since we had a somewhat normal family vacation. Even through the fever, chills, aches and pains, I don’t regret going for one moment.

That’s a little easier for me to say than some because it hasn’t cost me any work time, I work from home, so I can still work sick. Might not be quite as efficient as normal, but I can still meet my deadlines through the virus.

And they say Covid is never going away so I agree at this point it’s best we get back to living as close to our old lives as we can. Especially with omicron being much more mild.

I'm just recovering from Omicron, going on 3+ weeks of symptoms and it's not been mild at all. It's been awful and I'm just thankful I wasn't in the middle of my vacation when I got it.

We were at DW for 2 weeks in March. 4 of us were fine. And we did the transatlantic cruise in may from Miami to Barcelona. Again all fine. All vaccinated and boosted. Glad we are the lucky ones. I’m just not worrying about it any more. We had omicron in Jan. It was a minor cold that lasted 2 days.

I'm just recovering from Omicron, going on 3+ weeks of symptoms and it's not been mild at all. It's been awful and I'm just thankful I wasn't in the middle of my vacation when I got it.

Yes, this is closer to the experience that my husband's co-worker has had. She still has symptoms, and at even though she says the body aches/kidney pain are the worst of it, she's had a fever and did go to the ER at one point because she felt short of breath...was treated and released. Anecdotally, in what I'm hearing, the first strains of Omicron were a bit weaker than these new 4-5 strains.

Do you believe you contracted the virus while on vacation....did you fly, drive, mask....etc? That's valuable information for those of us reading this thread who are planning on traveling. Thanks!

We went in early May and I had a sore throat shortly after getting home. It turned out to be bronchitis though. I was the only one who caught it at Disney, but 2-3 weeks later as I was starting to feel better, I gave it to my husband and son. We all triple tested, including lab tests, and were neg for COVID.

We just returned about a week ago from a 10 day trip to Disney/Universal. We drove ourselves; didn't mask at all; ate in indoor restaurants and are all negative for Covid. Out of the 4 of us, only one was vaccinated but not boosted.

Just got back Monday from our fourth Disney trip since Covid started (each trip 5-7 days) and no sign of Covid and testing negative. I masked when I was in a small space and we only ate indoors once. My husband caught Covid after our trip September 2021 but otherwise we have remained Covid free!

We didn't catch Covid during our vacation, but, we wore masks nearly all the time and washed our hands as advised by experts. However, last week I decided not to wear a mask and this week I've been very unwell, my LFT came up negative and Mr J says it's probably allergies, but, I've had a fright and I'm back wearing a mask inside public places and I think we'll be wearing them on our Christmas trip to WDW, even if it isn't Covid, it could stop the flu, which I did get on one trip many years ago.

Yes, this is closer to the experience that my husband's co-worker has had. She still has symptoms, and at even though she says the body aches/kidney pain are the worst of it, she's had a fever and did go to the ER at one point because she felt short of breath...was treated and released. Anecdotally, in what I'm hearing, the first strains of Omicron were a bit weaker than these new 4-5 strains.

Do you believe you contracted the virus while on vacation....did you fly, drive, mask....etc? That's valuable information for those of us reading this thread who are planning on traveling. Thanks!
I got it attending my first indoor work event, which included mingling and eating. Maybe 18 people and the two workers. First time I've gone unmasked indoors with my coworkers and first time I've gone into a more crowded indoor situation unmasked. Big mistake, I was pushing to make it outdoors but we had thunderstorms that day, I should have just gone home or skipped the snacks and kept my mask on.

Late to this party but was just reading this thread that dates back to the dates my group of 5 went (May 1-7) and fascinated that so many people from that time and visits since have gotten COVID. None in my party did despite none of us really masking at all and eating indoors and riding things as normal, which I was super surprised/impressed by. We are all triple vaccinated but still, we'd pretty much gone into it assuming we'd unfortunately all come back with COVID.

My two cents is that at this point you should not take a trip to WDW without accepting that there is a decent chance you'll get COVID, and that if anyone in your group is unvaccinated or medically vulnerable you should really rethink going...

I got it attending my first indoor work event, which included mingling and eating. Maybe 18 people and the two workers. First time I've gone unmasked indoors with my coworkers and first time I've gone into a more crowded indoor situation unmasked. Big mistake, I was pushing to make it outdoors but we had thunderstorms that day, I should have just gone home or skipped the snacks and kept my mask on.

Thanks for letting us know. It seems like most get it in longer situations indoors....unmasked. I have been in and out of houses (I have a pet sitting/dog walking company) for at least a year now without a mask, and have learned later that someone in the house was positive...etc, but I'm never in the house long enough to get it. Same with groceries stores...and other places I go. We haven't dined indoors in a restaurant since May of 2021. We just don't miss it. We'll eat outdoors now that it's nice, but take out is fine with us in the cooler months. Now that I'm less than two weeks out from vacation I'm going to wear a mask in public, and we certainly will on our flights down and back. Sometimes I feel like I'd just like to get it over with....get Covid, but then again...I'd prefer not to.

We were there June 3-22. 4x vaxxed. Did not mask. DH tested positive on trip on the 5th day of symptoms, after texting negative prior. Pretty much ruined last part of trip. He got a terrible cough and felt awful. Finally on the mend. I stayed negative, and did DD and her husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter