Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you successfully organized a family reunion of 92 people in matching shirts at WDW in the mist of a global pandemic less than a month after reopening than you earn a night in Cinderella’s castle and some sort of national medal.
And if you are on these boards make yourself known because I bow down to your vacation planning skills.

Really that person needs to be running the whole show at this point, possibly the entire US.

I want to see their Disney spreadsheet.

100% this

No amount of wishing and praying on DISboards is going to shut them back down. So the “should they, shouldnt they” argument is completely irrelevant now. They are open. They’re not going to close because some members on a message board want them to. If you dont like that they’re open, I’m sorry? I dont know what to tell you. They’re providing jobs to CMs and entertainment/joy to people that were held up in their homes for months. For all intents and purposes they’ve done very well with their safety measures. They made it through a spike and decline without any outbreak. Disney was never going to shut WDW down until a vaccine was ready and available for the masses, that was always purely wishful thinking from people that dont want them to be open.

Well said.

Disney, while certainly far from the best in communication skills during this pandemic, closed, waited longer than a lot of people thought they should, opened later than Universal, and then opened with some necessary restrictions. Their opening was too soon for some, and not early enough for others. Nothing can change now, they are open, and will continue to be open for the foreseeable future. Hours might change, Resorts might open and close, but Walt Disney World will be open. It's time to move on past that debate.

There were those who though that if Disney wasn't open by July, they'd be doomed. Nonsense. There were others who said the mask rules would be relaxed by the time they opened in July, if not soon after. Again, more nonsense. Some of those people have disappeared from this thread because they were wrong. A lively debate is fine, but some have made it much too personal in here much too often. The Parks have opened. It's okay to disagree with that decision, but lets move on and look at how Disney reacts in the fall and winter, what happens with hours, the resorts, Christmas decorations, etc.

We can, and should, continue to evaluate how Disney performs in this pandemic. That includes giving them credit where credit is due, and criticizing them when necessary. But i think the 'they should never have opened' argument is done. Let's move on.

Well said.

Disney, while certainly far from the best in communication skills during this pandemic, closed, waited longer than a lot of people thought they should, opened later than Universal, and then opened with some necessary restrictions. Their opening was too soon for some, and not early enough for others. Nothing can change now, they are open, and will continue to be open for the foreseeable future. Hours might change, Resorts might open and close, but Walt Disney World will be open. It's time to move on past that debate.

There were those who though that if Disney wasn't open by July, they'd be doomed. Nonsense. There were others who said the mask rules would be relaxed by the time they opened in July, if not soon after. Again, more nonsense. Some of those people have disappeared from this thread because they were wrong. A lively debate is fine, but some have made it much too personal in here much too often. The Parks have opened. It's okay to disagree with that decision, but lets move on and look at how Disney reacts in the fall and winter, what happens with hours, the resorts, Christmas decorations, etc.

We can, and should, continue to evaluate how Disney performs in this pandemic. That includes giving them credit where credit is due, and criticizing them when necessary. But i think the 'they should never have opened' argument is done. Let's move on.

I thought they’d be open before July to have something domestic parks related to bring to the table at the Q3 reports because Q3 ended on June 30th. I said they’d be open June 1st because there were plenty of signs pointing towards it being open on that day, but it was all signs that I saw because in my mind that was going to be the date from the start.

I was was wrong twice on that one.

Up until around early May I thought mask mandates were going to be lax to a point where they’re suggested, not required at the parks. Once mid May hit I flipped 180 and didnt see Disney opening up without masks being mandatory.

Again, I was wrong until I changed my opinion.

Ive admitted to being wrong about those things and other things many, many times. But I also dont claim that my opinions are anything more than just that, opinions. I dont have “sources” like a certain someone on WDWmagic claims. Its ok to admit you’re wrong. If I was never wrong about my opinions, I’d have enough money to throw at a Club 33 membership. And pay Disney to put on an after hours fireworks show just for me.

Disney has done a lot of things right so far, and have done some things that are not so good, but seems to have fixed some of these things. One thing I still think they need to get right is changing the BG process for RotR. I still see pictures of people not eating/drinking or in a relaxation zone with masks off or nose out. While CMs cant be on top of every guest making sure they’re enforcing the rules at all times, from stories I’ve heard, they can still do better with enforcement. But you’re seeing a lot less distancing issues outside of DHS recently, and thats good. Even when things were going wrong, it wasn’t getting out of hand where they lost control of the guests. Issues seem to get resolved quickly.

They’ve proved that they were ready to open up when they did, and have done so responsibly, safety wise. If Disney was losing control of the parks and guests where you’re continuously see guests on top of each other, no one wearing masks while passing CMs not saying anything, Disney loading up ride vehicles with strangers not spaced out. Then maybe the “They shouldnt be open” argument would carry more weight right now. But they’re not breaking laws, running a lawless operation. There’s a reason people are saying they feel incredibly safe while on property

I certainly respect the concern that the posters have about moving too fast or being open at all.

But man, I also want Disney to be operational after the pandemic. If they wait until there is immunity (vaccine, herd, advanced treatment), Disney might not recover. With Disneyland closed, nothing is certain right now.

I want them to tread lightly and that’s what they are doing. Hopefully minimizing losses, keeping people employed and everyone safe as much as humanly possible.

No matter what the total attendance is at any one moment, people are not evenly distributed throughout the park. When I was at MK, I could see how the lines for various attractions would wax and wane throughout the day and that some open areas were nearly empty at one time of the day and then "crowded" at a different time. I think if a person wants to avoid crowds, they will be able to visually see where the herd is at the moment at move to a different park of the park until the crowd disperses.

I agree there's less kids, it just makes sense that most families have higher economic concerns regarding Disney trips even locals (not sold that it's all about greater fear among parents than general population), but don't think wait times on thrill rides really relate to volume of kids when you're walking on things like FoP.... It's just low crowds in general.

Besides my 3 year old went on everything that she could height wise (42 in) last time we were there. Her favorite two rides were slinky and test track.... I haven't seen "bigger" rides like RR, Space mountain, FoP, Mission space have tremendously long waits compared to "kids" rides like Peter pan or frozen. Least we forget CoA😀

I wonder how many people are planning this? I was planning a 14 day trip for the 50th with a split-stay at POP/POFQ. But I've always wanted to stay at the Contemporary so I thought 3 or 4 nights there around Oct 1 would be great - then on to POFQ and, maybe a few days at POP to ease some of the cost.

Obviously anecdotal but everyone has have been talking with related to booking on property for the 50th everyone either did book the Contemporary or at least considered it - largely due to bring able to walk to MK

We got quotes for it but I just couldn't pull the trigger at the rack rate for even the Garden Wing, so we are at Caribbean Beach (for now, will monitor any discounts, etc)

I’ve seen several pictures posted of empty stroller parking around many of the rides. (And also nonexistent wait times for popular rides for kids and families (like Frozen in Epcot), when there are still some waits for the thrill rides (like test track).)

It seems to vary - I have seen what you pay out but I have also seen other clips of stroller parking areas a bit more full and at one point saw that the line for the Frozen ride went all the way to China (I think with all the spacing it still was only like a 20min wait).

I do think there are less kids/families than would be typically but it also isn't 99% bloggers and childless millennials

I bet Disney wishes they were in that position. They aren’t because demand isn’t there. There is no reason for them to fudge or ignore capacity numbers.

Although it seems if they wanted more bodies in the parks they could increase capacity in the passholder bucket (even if just "day of") - other than Epcot seems like that bucket is empty most days

But the demand from what they see as the higher $ spend/day guest isn't there (to a super high degree) those traveling in for a week, etc

No worries. I am doing my best to spend as much as I can apparently. 😳 That darn AP discount.
"Well we can buy these now, then when we come back in March we wont need to buy as much" 🤷‍♀️
I've seen more kids than I thought I would. (We have 3 with us)

A lot of lines look long, but its because they cant use the usual queue. (which has been covered, just repeating:)) Some are over stated, but I think they are getting a better judgement on that now.
To really avoid crowds, early then late still applies. And at MK, hangout in the gardens to avoid the exiting crowds and those who sneak masks off to smoke a cigarette on the walk out...🙄
We have found ourselves a few times pulling off to the side and letting those who are above the rules walk wayyyy ahead...
CMs are going above and beyond to welcome and engage as much as they can.
We had a waiter at Topolinos who was awesome, and sincerely thanked us multiple times for coming and trusting in these times. I thanked him for being here for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter