Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not caught up so idk how many responses you've gotten. On July 31 and Aug 2, walking paths in DS were pretty crowded, esp around WOD ~7-8 pm. Mask compliance seemed good. I only saw one person take his off (to take selfies by the benches outside the bathrooms near a Chicken Guy 🙄), but a security guard told him to put it back on.
Tables at Morimoto were spaced out (every other table had signs saying they were not in use). The bathrooms were clean.
We had drinks on the patio at Jock Lindseys, but when we walked through the interior, it wasn't packed.
The Boathouse was, unfortunately, very full. It didn't look like they were distancing tables, and we asked to be seated on the patio (tables were a bit further away from one another out there, too). They also had an unmasked duo of piano players/singers playing.
There was only one entrance into WOD, all the way around the side. The line to get in was long but moved pretty fast. Inside, we tried to distance but many other customers did not.
The inside of the LEGO Store wasn't as crowded, and people were a bit more distanced.

Thanks so much for the reply. It seems decent at least. We have been planning on doing most of our Disney Springs stuff earlier in the day than usual this time around. Usually we like to hang out there at night but I don't see us doing that this year. We do have a reservation at Morimoto so its nice to hear they were spaced out well. And it seems like Boathouse has been filling in a little too much for some peoples comfort from the beginning of the reopening. We ate there last time so I'm fine skipping.

Thanks again for the report. We're still excited to head there next month. It will just be differing, still awesome but different.

AK closing a 5pm. MK at 6pm. HS and Epcot at 7pm. Due to cancellations? That's just going to cause a bunch more cancellations.

but is the lost revenue from cancellations more or less than the expenses saved by reducing the hours and by having to handle less people on property?

I assume management thinks the trade of is a net positive to the bottom line

I keep seeing people mention their grocery stores capacity. My grocery store has this screen on your way in to let you know their capacity. It is nice to see how many people are currently in the store to make the decision to enter or not.

The photo below shows the stores capacity at 466 max.
There are currently 29 people in the store so 437 more may enter.
If the store met that max it would be terribly crowed even for a normal day precovid.
Photo was taken at 8:00am. You can see the number tick up and down as you enter and leave.

Last edited:
I keep seeing people mention their grocery stores capacity. My grocery store has this screen on your way in to let you know their capacity. It is nice to see how many people are currently in the store to make the decision to enter or not.

If the store met that max it would be terribly crowed even for a normal day precovid.
View attachment 517154
photo taken at 8:00am

Nothing like that around here. I had to wait in line to enter Costco last month, but it was quick. Trader Joe's ALWAYS has a line when I try to go. I would love to see something like this there.

View attachment 517154
photo taken at 8:00am

nothing like that here - we did have workers our front a while ago and wouldn't let people in if there were capacity issues but there haven't been any issues like that for weeks if not months.

One chain did set up to book a reservation on Open Table, but again, it hasn't been an issue so no point in booking a reservation

Not sure if this has been discussed, but Must Do Disney has been moved from channel 4 to 73 on resort TVs. This morning people were reporting Must Do Disney was totally gone, but they hid it down on channel 73. Presumably moved it due to the number of things Stacy covers that are not available right now. I think this is a relevant operational update 🤣

It is apparently still available on channel 73, so if you are going, don’t panic! :)

I wonder if maybe the reason they are not opening up the AP bucket more despite seemingly having space is because they are hoping that the photos and reports of near empty parks will tempt out of state non APs to book a trip somewhere down the line and they have gambled that the chances of enticing enough people to do that by showing very empty parks could be more profitable than just letting the local APs in for more days. We’ve seen here how people get antsy when the parks have a day where it seems more crowded and start to wonder if they really want to take their trip. It might be worth it for Disney to have the optics of empty parks to get out of state people with weeklong resort stays to keep their trips or out of state people with no trip planned to book one. Maybe I am overthinking it but there has to be some reason for it that they have justified to themselves. 🤷🏻‍♀️

but is the lost revenue from cancellations more or less than the expenses saved by reducing the hours and by having to handle less people on property?

I assume management thinks the trade of is a net positive to the bottom line

For sure this. BUT... are they considering the amount of people they are likely to have cancel on them when they start making yet more cut backs? Have they factored that loss in?

I'm sure the executives of one of the largest companies in the country haven't considered that at all.......

And yet they were surprised at what happened with re-opening when they shouldn't have been.... After all you would think the executives of one of the largest companies in the country would listen when surveys say almost 3/4 of the population feel it's too soon and not safe and they wouldn't travel there, when top experts keep warning that it's too soon to open, that a second spike would happen from areas re-opening too soon, that a second spike was anticipated at any point, anyways, and take all of that into consideration and plan accordingly and yet.... here we are.

And yet they were surprised at what happened with re-opening when they shouldn't have been....
As stated before, the situation with the virus in Florida changed rapidly between when they announced the WDW reopening and when it actually reopened. The fact that Florida became the COVID hotspot in the country caused the issue at reopening. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

You guys we do this basically daily at this point, Disney isn’t just bumbling along cutting things willy nilly with no concept of how it effects their bottom line. If they are cutting hours like this they know or have a pretty solid idea that there is a positive impact to the company doing so.

Personally I think the people who are willing to go right now overwhelmingly (yes there will be individuals who do not fit this) will still come with two less hours or however many it was they cut per park, and have very high tolerance for changes that would cause cancellations. Especially when you consider how much higher percentage of the guests are local and passholders than before.

As stated before, the situation with the virus in Florida changed rapidly between when they announced the WDW reopening and when it actually reopened. The fact that Florida became the COVID hotspot in the country caused the issue at reopening. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

See my edited comment. They (and everyone) were all warned, repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter