Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet they were surprised at what happened with re-opening when they shouldn't have been.... After all you would think the executives of one of the largest companies in the country would listen when surveys say almost 3/4 of the population feel it's too soon and not safe and they wouldn't travel there, when top experts keep warning that it's too soon to open, that a second spike would happen from areas re-opening too soon, that a second spike was anticipated at any point, anyways, and take all of that into consideration and plan accordingly and yet.... here we are.
It was one survey of 1000 people, that came out a week ago. It’s not like there were hundreds of surveys prior to the reopening plans were announced. We need to stop throwing that 72% number around like it’s gospel.

• The refund amount, if any, for each pass circumstance is unique and based on factors such as: new or renewal, down payment amount, refunds to date, activation date, etc.
  • If the total amount that you paid for your pass(es) (minus any refunds already given and any payments waived, returned or not collected) exceeds the “usable value” (see below) of your pass(es), that excess will be refunded to you.
  • The usable value of your pass(es) equals the total sale price of your pass(es) multiplied by the number of days that you could have visited any park prior to March 16 and divided by the total number of access days to any park permitted under the pass(es) at pass activation.
  • If you made a payment between July 11, 2020 and August 11, 2020 or a payment between March 14, 2020 and April 4, 2020 that was not already refunded, your refund will be at least the amount of any such payment(s).

As stated before, the situation with the virus in Florida changed rapidly between when they announced the WDW reopening and when it actually reopened. The fact that Florida became the COVID hotspot in the country caused the issue at reopening. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

I do think they planned for and expected major spikes at some point, whether they expected it to line up with opening so perfectly is unknown, but any company anywhere really who isn’t planning for spikes in the future is shortsighted. COVID isn’t under control enough to take that for granted.

See my edited comment. They (and everyone) were all warned, repeatedly.
Other than the generic "Disney shouldn't have opened because of COVID" warnings, I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you paid attention to the earnings call, Disney is losing less money by having the parks open than they were when the parks are full and that is their stated goal. There haven't been any breakouts traced back to WDW. I'm not sure what more you want.

I do think they planned for and expected major spikes at some point, whether they expected it to line up with opening so perfectly is unknown, but any company anywhere really who isn’t planning for spikes in the future is shortsighted. COVID isn’t under control enough to take that for granted.
I agree they had planned for spikes, but they likely didn't forsee a giant spike that lined up perfectly for reopening. The reality at this point is that Disney (and all theme parks) are just trying to tread water until the COVID situation runs its course and they are making decisions based on that frame of mind.

Other than the generic "Disney shouldn't have opened because of COVID" warnings, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Okay:

1. You made a sarcastic comment about how the executives have obviously considered the possibility of more people cancelling due to further cut backs.
2. I replied that they were in fact caught unawares (aka had not properly considered, or had over-anticipated) with their attendance numbers. Which means that it is always within the realm of possibility they could over-anticipate demand.
3. I explained that they really shouldn't have been surprised since even before the Florida spike, surveys were showing the majority of Americans do NOT feel safe travelling or that theme parks should be open. Which would indicate attendance would be low. Also, that everyone was warned over and over that it was too soon to open and that a spike would happen sooner, than later, with things re-opening too soon. So, since the rest of Florida had already opened a few weeks previously, and it takes a few weeks for the snowball to really get rolling, they really should NOT have been surprised at the Florida spike, nor it's timing, nor the resulting low numbers. I mean, when the average person sitting at home was able to foresee the Florida spike happening, there's no excuse for a company as large as Disney not to have.

I don't think I can make it any simpler than that. 🤷‍♀️

Not sure if this has been discussed, but Must Do Disney has been moved from channel 4 to 73 on resort TVs. This morning people were reporting Must Do Disney was totally gone, but they hid it down on channel 73. Presumably moved it due to the number of things Stacy covers that are not available right now. I think this is a relevant operational update 🤣

It is apparently still available on channel 73, so if you are going, don’t panic! :)
They're gonna have a lot of stays and APs cancelled if they get rid of Stacy. For sure.

On one hand, 72% of American’s aren’t up for traveling to a theme park. That leaves 28% of the population open to the idea. Look around at the places this 28% could possibly go right now. Europe, Canada, most of the rest of the world, and cruises are off the table. If this 28% want to go somewhere, a big theme park resort in the continental United States certainly should be in the running. If everything else was equal, that should be enough people to fill the parks to their new limits.

So now Disney needs to look into why all those people, who do find it safe enough to travel to a theme park, are not coming to Disney. Maybe it’s cost. Maybe it’s not enough value for their money. Maybe it’s the new color of the castle. I don’t know. But I’m betting Disney either knows, or is looking into it.

On one hand, 72% of American’s aren’t up for traveling to a theme park. That leaves 28% of the population open to the idea. Look around at the places this 28% could possibly go right now. Europe, Canada, most of the rest of the world, and cruises are off the table. If this 28% want to go somewhere, a big theme park resort in the continental United States certainly should be in the running. If everything else was equal, that should be enough people to fill the parks to their new limits.

So now Disney needs to look into why all those people, who do find it safe enough to travel to a theme park, are not coming to Disney. Maybe it’s cost. Maybe it’s not enough value for their money. Maybe it’s the new color of the castle. I don’t know. But I’m betting Disney either knows, or is looking into it.

My guess is it's the money. Or it could be the color of the castle, too. That thing is horrid.

The list of reasons to not go are quite considerable and I suspect for many people its multiple reasons off the list added together so fixing one or two of those may not be enough to change most peoples opinions.

But what do I know, I'm just a troll apparently.

As a mother of two kids who have been home almost continuously since mid-March: Yes... yes it is absolutely essential.

This exactly proves my point.

As we get further from March, the definition of “essential” has become broader. What you’d go out to these “essential” stores and buy in August is much different than what you saw people buy in March. A person running into the grocery store because they’re craving an entenmann's cheese danish and thats all they leave with. Would you have seen that type of purchase in March? I didnt. It was all loaded up grocery carts with meats, dairy, household supplies etc.

To some people a Disney vacation is “essential” right now the same was a new toy for a child is, the same way a cheese danish is to someone with a craving. With all this stuff open and people are still judging what everyone else is doing, I’d guarantee the people judging also have gone out to stores and have bought something that isnt “essential”

As someone who has a $10k trip planned for early December, my guess is the money. I am one of the few whose disposable income has grown during this pandemic (new, better job, no layoff, wife still works, grown kids). I do know I am lucky.

For those living in Fl, are masks required in most of the state? If so is it a new requirement,? Numbers are better again today so wondering if that is making a difference? :)

If I was more local I would go now. But since I'm in an area that's doing better than FL right now and there are quarantine mandates coming home it's just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter