Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are scheduled to arrive on July 15th and as of this morning my plans are not visible on the app. I can still see them on the website though. Changes are a happening.
All our original plans are visible (July 6th - 16th), but I can't make any changes for anything.

Thanks, for that info. Our original trip was 7/6 - 7/16 and all our FPs are now locked as of the announcement. My nephew just this morning changed our DVC trip to a shorted 10/28 - 11/2 trip, so the FP window opens tomorrow morning. I'm not expecting to be able to book anything.
I feel you!! I wanted to modify times and was not able to. I hope it all works out for you.😊

I feel you!! I wanted to modify times and was not able to. I hope it all works out for you.😊
Thank you! Wow, I must be tired. Our new shorted trip is 7/28 - 8/2, which is why the FP window opens tomorrow. My nephew woke me up at 4AM with the idea. I'm braindead now. lol

Okay so the official park hours shows Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard beach as opening July 11. No real change to their park hours. Is it possible that they will be open too? I am hoping for them, some version of the character dining we already have booked and the Halloween party now. Definitely in the bargaining portion of the grief cycle...
No. Disney says their FAQs they have no plans to reopen water parks and are concentrated on theme parks. Might not see a water park until next summer from them...

Since yesterday’s presentation, the thing I have found most incredible is the number of people who truly thought the parks would be totally back to normal for summer trips.

I certainly didn’t expect back to normal parks. I also didn’t expect the absolute gutting of experiences. They have virtually cut out everything outside of rides- and quite a few of those are probably at risk as well.

I’m all for safety, but I think they were looking at the ledger more than they were looking at safety. If they could cut it and pass it off as a safety measure, they did.

In order to believe that everything they cut was for safety’s sake alone, you have to believe every other park in the area is being reckless, and I don’t.

So .. I guess the next question is ... will those of us who have JUNE reservations start getting their forced cancellations or will those continue to roll out week by week? (especially since the system is bogged down, I don't even want to try to cancel myself at this point

I am also waiting for the next "guest recovery" steps (that may or may not come) in how Disney will handle all the cancelled reservations. Not sure what they'd do since the future is so unknown, no real benefit in rescheduling a trip for the fall in my opinion.
Everything we "know" about planning a Disney trip could be thrown out the window --

Disney may still be limiting attendance in fall, masks still may be required, attractions still may be closed, fireworks could be gone for the rest of the year (for both social distancing and cost cutting).

Or things could be normalized and Disney has to offer discounts to get people to come back.

Or another outbreak causes another closure.

Well, it's been a very emotional day for a lot of people. Some are very upset, some are very happy. I'm kind of in between. I have PH+WP tickets for 10 days with a split stay at AKL Kidani and BWV starting August 2nd. Not thrilled about the WP situation. Not thrilled that park hopping is in jeopardy. Not thrilled about going in August instead of the beginning of June. And wearing a mask, though I'm getting some cooling neck gaiters which should help. I am happy that we get to go. We have only been going every other year. It's been a tough year for my family for various reasons and we all really need a vacation, so we are going. Not sure what WDW plans to do for those that have PH and WP tickets if those options won't be available. I'll either be out $850 or I won't. Maybe things will be opened by then, who knows. We'll wear our masks. Drinking/eating around EPCOT might be more prevalent this year than normal. As long as we can do some nice TS restaurants and the pool bar is open, I'm good with taking breaks from the parks and even reduced hours. It takes some of the stress off. More time to relax, even if it's "forced". I will have a great time, even with the heat and even with the masks. Even if things aren't normal and a bit diluted. It will still be a better vacation than most. 9 weeks from now things could look a lot different than they do today. So we will go and follow the rules, whatever they may be, as best as we can. Will I need a break from a mask-almost definitely. Will I be a jerk about it-no. Will I be part of the mask police-most definitely not. If someone gives me grief if I, or part of my family, pulls their mask down for 30 seconds to get a breath of fresh air will I be irritated-probably. But I will have fun and will enjoy my vacation, because I have decided that is what I am going to do. Come join me.

This is me as well. Same basic trip- July 30th, 10 days hopper plus- Poly/BW/AKL. I feel 100% the same way. My last 10 day disney trip was canned 3 days into it because my father took a sudden turn for the worse and we left to see him at the end. I am very thankful at all that we will just get to spend the time at the resorts- and ride some rides. 10 weeks of only leaving the house for the grocery store really makes you appreciate those things we can do. Super excited for some nice TS dining as well! As people that usually eat out once or twice a week- we have gotten takeout once every 10 days or so through this. TS meals at WDW will also be a vacation in itself!

Does someone have a link? I keep looking for this FAQ and can’t find it.
It was a cast member faq that was posted. I see nothing for the public and the hours are still there.
I expect they will go away just trying to read too much into the fact the hours disappeared up until July 11. And all other hours were adjusted through October...

I had a resort stay at POR that was july 5-7. I quickly changed this to July 10-12 and moved my one day tickets to July 11 before they closed to new tickets/reservations. I was concerned with possible no regular resorts until July 11. I was able to modify online to Fort Wilderness Cabins. The only other choices were some of the DVC resorts- OKW, AKL, BLT, SSR and BRV if I recall correctly (we are a party of 5 also).

Disney (along with Universal and alot of other businesses) put procedures in place which include mask. Follow the rules or don't patronize the business. Simple.

I keep seeing people say things like "well if they have to require mask then they shouldn't even open" or that "if seeing people break the rules would upset and annoy you, you shouldn't go." To me that just screams If I can't go and have it my way (sans mask or whatever else) then NOBODY should be able to go.

So .. I guess the next question is ... will those of us who have JUNE reservations start getting their forced cancellations or will those continue to roll out week by week? (especially since the system is bogged down, I don't even want to try to cancel myself at this point

I am also waiting for the next "guest recovery" steps (that may or may not come) in how Disney will handle all the cancelled reservations. Not sure what they'd do since the future is so unknown, no real benefit in rescheduling a trip for the fall in my opinion.
Everything we "know" about planning a Disney trip could be thrown out the window --
I think the first step for Disney is going to be determine what hotels and restaurants they'll have available and at what capacity. You'll notice we didn't hear a lot about Disney Resort Hotels yesterday outside of DVC. My guess is that they are finalizing those plans right now. Once they have those plans set and the Governor's approval (likely to come today), I'd expect their next step will be consolidating existing guests into what's available and reaching out to those with displaced trips to reschedule them if those guests want to. I can almost assure you that you'll have the opportunity to rebook your trip before booking reopens to the general public. I think they'll do this sooner rather than later. It may take some time to reach everyone, but I think they're going to do it as quickly as they can (not on a weekly basis). Only at that point, they'll open up the park reservation system.

So what's this mean? Do not cancel your trip! If you do, you may risk being shut out of having "first dibs" on rebooking or whatever Guest Recovery they offer.

Where did they announce no water parks?
I missed that.
It was on the FAQs posted on The Hub (Disney's internal Cast Member portal).

In order to believe that everything they cut was for safety’s sake alone, you have to believe every other park in the area is being reckless, and I don’t.

Yes, I do believe Universal is taking more risks, and I also believe Walt Disney World and Universal are much different in terms of scale and appeal so their approaches will be different.

I

Chapeck CNBC interview - Actual quote"
"at Walt Disney World, we believe that we will be at least able to cover our costs opening up the parks"

If you think they are throwing unlimited cash out to open, they are going to be watching costs more than ever in disney history. The accountants are going to be putting a cost on everything.

That quote means that they think they won't lose money by opening the parks. It goes with the "positive contribution" comment that Chapek made on the quarterly call. Since it was on CNBC, it was a comment made to an audience of investors.

I certainly didn’t expect back to normal parks. I also didn’t expect the absolute gutting of experiences. They have virtually cut out everything outside of rides- and quite a few of those are probably at risk as well.

I’m all for safety, but I think they were looking at the ledger more than they were looking at safety. If they could cut it and pass it off as a safety measure, they did.

I agree with you. I wasn't expecting Disney to open fully, but maybe moreso than they are going to. I mean .. letting your competitors open a month and half before you do is a big sign (and huge shock to me) that weren't trying to open up "as soon as possible".

I think every business (not just Disney) is making these calculations of how the forced reduced capacity will work for them and how they run their operation accordingly.

It just means the sooner we can maybe get over our fear of the virus and get back to "normal" the sooner these businesses will be running at full force again and start hiring back their employees.

Disney may still be limiting attendance in fall, masks still may be required, attractions still may be closed, fireworks could be gone for the rest of the year (for both social distancing and cost cutting).

Or things could be normalized and Disney has to offer discounts to get people to come back.

Or another outbreak causes another closure.
I think it’ll still come on a week by week basis. They don’t want to overwhelm the phone lines. Call center staff are still working at home.

As for the “guest recovery” steps, I’m not sure we’re going to see anything for a while. They’re not sure how many resorts will be open, and when they will be open. My thought is the ability to get your entire reservation cost back is the best outcome at this time. Those looking for deals to come out of this are going to be disappointed for a while.

Disney (along with Universal and alot of other businesses) put procedures in place which include mask. Follow the rules or don't patronize the business. Simple.

I keep seeing people say things like "well if they have to require mask then they shouldn't even open" or that "if seeing people break the rules would upset and annoy you, you shouldn't go." To me that just screams If I can't go and have it my way (sans mask or whatever else) then NOBODY should be able to go.
I agree with your post. This is a novel virus and businesses are doing the best they can to protect their staff and guests. There are other options such as LEGOLAND if you’re not concerned about the health risks. Until we see which way this virus is headed I’d personally error on the side of caution. In my area of Florida the majority of people are wearing masks to protect themselves and others. This is hopefully short term. It’s just so simple to stay home or go elsewhere instead of grumbling about how Disney is trying to keep their guests and staff safe. There’s always next year for those who can’t accept WDW or UO guidelines. For those that are going, happy vacationing😊

I agree with you. I wasn't expecting Disney to open fully, but maybe moreso than they are going to. I mean .. letting your competitors open a month and half before you do is a big sign (and huge shock to me) that weren't trying to open up "as soon as possible".

I think every business (not just Disney) is making these calculations of how the forced reduced capacity will work for them and how they run their operation accordingly.

It just means the sooner we can maybe get over our fear of the virus and get back to "normal" the sooner these businesses will be running at full force again and start hiring back their employees.

I will be interested to see after the first few days of AP's/locals and those that are desperate to go get it out of there system how many will actually go. Local places around me (jacksonville area) are struggling to get people to go to them, like dave and busters, roller skating, trampoline parks and such. The zoos and beaches are doing well. Dining is slowly doing better, but still slow.

Maybe by the time Disney opens more will come out, but Universal should be interesting to see.

Well todays the first day they've known anything substantial and even with that there's numerous still unknowns. I also think some, myself included, were pretty taken aback by all of the reductions, especially considering all other parks in the area.

I believe many in the coming days/weeks will make their decisions whether to go or not, just as ppl. in here can choose to read certain threads or not:rolleyes:
I'm astounded that anyone who frequents these boards would be taken aback by the restrictions that were announced. All of them have been discussed at length in this thread. The only real surprise for me was the opening date being in July and the fact that Epcot is opening at basically the same time as the other parks. The lack of parades, fireworks and M&G's were pretty much a given as were the distancing protocols and mandatory masks.

I agree that if people don't want to comply with the rules, they should not go to the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter