DAS for RA

The last trip my then 16 year old daughter went on she finally relented and let us get her a wheelchair. She is mobile in her daily life but has POTS. During our trip she had a horrible flare and the first day ended after 3 hours. The next day she got a chair but said she'd try not to use. After about an hour she decided it was time. She hated being in it at first. She then realized she could actually enjoy the parks without pain and without passing out. She's a stubborn teenager who hates not being healthy and hides her issues in daily life as much as possible because she doesn't want to be seen as weak. Disney is a different animal though. It's difficult to power through health issues. In her case that simple wheelchair allowed her to enjoy her trip just as much as everyone else. It didn't make her weak, I think it actually made her much stronger because she was actually able to admit she needed a little help.

I'm starting to think the OP wants Disney to provide a personal golf cart, drive her to each ride, through a "secret" entrance, directly onto each and every ride. I think the OP wants what the old pass provided - front of the line access, and I believe the OP got the incorrect info about it somewhere along the way.

Perhaps OP is superbly frustrated at the moment - it's just hard to tell. I think the OP has received great advice here on this thread. I've traveled to WDW for many years now with friends and family - some who use a DAS - and I know for my mobility issues it is the ECV that keeps my trips fun and let's me do everything I want. FOTL access would only help a bit with my knees cause I'd still have to get to the park, then to the ride and then to the next one and so on. I'd be miserable very quickly. Hopefully the OP will be given a DAS and see how well it works - or doesn't work - for her situation. I have a friend with some unique mobility challenges and other challenges- who uses a DAS and it works well - so perhaps OP is in a similar situation. I'd encourage her to discuss it with guest relations and keep our good advice if she needs it.

Perhaps OP is superbly frustrated at the moment - it's just hard to tell. I think the OP has received great advice here on this thread. I've traveled to WDW for many years now with friends and family - some who use a DAS - and I know for my mobility issues it is the ECV that keeps my trips fun and let's me do everything I want. FOTL access would only help a bit with my knees cause I'd still have to get to the park, then to the ride and then to the next one and so on. I'd be miserable very quickly. Hopefully the OP will be given a DAS and see how well it works - or doesn't work - for her situation. I have a friend with some unique mobility challenges and other challenges- who uses a DAS and it works well - so perhaps OP is in a similar situation. I'd encourage her to discuss it with guest relations and keep our good advice if she needs it.

Based on the fact that the OP has mentioned no issues other than mobility, hopefully she won't be given a DAS.

She has yet to explain how a DAS could help her, and I'm not sure she even knows what it does...seems to me that she is basing her "want" on what the GAC did rather than what the DAS does.

She has yet to explain how a DAS could help her, and I'm not sure she even knows what it does...seems to me that she is basing her "want" on what the GAC did rather than what the DAS does.

I don't think the DAS will help, and that is the problem. The OP was hoping they could get some other sort of accommodation, but none exists.

I get the DAS pass for my son and even that is not a perfect solution. One time we spent 45 minutes in the fast pass return line at Peter Pan which led to a complete and utter meltdown and an end to that park day. It's a tool as well, not a solution, and I learned if the FP line is backed up on a very crowded park day we should make an alternate choice.... To be clear I am not complaining... Just pointing out that even the DAS requires some compromise even if you qualify what it is intended for.

If you don't address your mobility needs even if you had a DAS you could still end up needing to stand for longer than you are able.

I resisted getting the DAS for my son for a few trips. I wanted him to be normal, even though we had multiple diagnoses. I didn't want to have the conversation with him and put a name on why certain things were so hard so he could advocate for himself for the pass.

When we finally got it, it was game changing - but only because of the nature of his disabilities. It was also a huge relief to talk openly about things with him and I realized that I was doing him no favors pretending the reality wasn't what it was. Your kids may be relieved to talk about it and have concrete ways to help as I'm sure they love you very much and want you to live life to the fullest.

I think you might find if you take advantage of the help available to you, you may find it game changing too and wonder why you waited so long.
I was going to say this. We use Das for my son, and there are STILL some things we know we can't do given the nature of his disability. It is also hard for him. He is a teenager now, and going to DLP as part of his school Communication trip to Paris (we are in the UK) I offered him the letter he needs (in DLP you have to qualify for government accommodations in UK before DLP will consider you for their disability card, which is diagnosis specific) to get the queue accommodations, and he has refused. If he is travelling without us, he would rather NOT ride than have his teenaged mates know he has a disability.
He has been to DLP before and he will only be there for a day, in a quiet time, so it's not such a big deal, but in WDW, the first time we got it was after we spent a while sat on a wall in AK crying (me, DH and DS!) because EVERYTHING was overwhelming him, and he couldn't go on ANYTHING, or enjoy anything. The DAS gave us the chance to plan, to take small time outs, to step away from the overwhelming stuff.
It did NOT mean we waited less for a ride, just that he was able to actually ride some of them.
As he has aged, he can cope better, but, I always remember that first time.

So it's not so much that I want it as I do not want a chair, so if something other than DAS is available please share it but as these are the only 2 options and I don't want a chair, there isn't much more to it.

I don't *want* any of the neurological issues that have forced me into full-time use of a mobility device! If we are granting wishes here, I'm lining up right now - but I'll be sitting in my power chair to do it.

But here I am, nonetheless. Oh - and just FYI, when you said:

I go to the best hospital in the country to have very smart people help me so I'm not surprised a regular person is confused.

What you don't realize is that vast majority in this particular forum probably understand as much - if not more than you do. We have people here with a wide range of issues, but the thing that binds us together is that we *all* have something - some issue - that we are dealing with. Being condescending and snarky to us doesn't mean that we will suddenly decide to share some "secret" that you think we are hiding from you.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

I *choose* to use the tools that are available to be me, every day, to have the best possible day that I can, and to live my life as independently as possible. In my case that's a personal mobility device and now a motorized chair. I never thought I would have to do this - I *cried* the first time I had to use an ECV (which was at WDW) because I thought the world was going to end. But guess what? It didn't, and I wound up having a better trip than I had in a long time because at the end of the day I wasn't exhausted and my pain levels were no where near where they had been before. My family had a better time too, because they weren't constantly stopping all the time to accommodate me, and they weren't worried about my pain levels, or was I going to be even be able to make it back to the front of the Park. I ended that first day still ready to go have fun down at Disney Springs, and the rest of my family was ready to go back to the hotel and crash.

It was an eye-opener for me.

You don't want to use a chair? Don't use a chair. Don't use an ECV, or scooter, or whatever you want to call it. Don't use a Rollator. But don't gripe at *us* - the very people you came to with your questions - when you don't get the answer you want, and can't do the things you want to do because you refuse to use the tools at your disposal.

We didn't make the policy.

We don't enforce the policy.

We *do* tell folks who come here looking for information on the DAS policy how it works in the real world. Because we try to share realistic, accurate, real-world information about what we all see, hear, and experience when we travel to WDW.

You don't have to like what we are telling you - but don't shoot the messenger. This forum can be an amazing source of information - and support - if you want it to be.

I was unhappy with the responses I got when I initially asked questions about DAS. Not because people here were rude, mean or condescending, but because I also did not like the answers I got re: my progressive neurological and autoimmune diseases. My mobility is at times very good, except for standing still.

However, that was NOT why I was granted a DAS. The neuro things also create sensory issues and I had to leave the FP line at Test Track and also at 7dmt (never mind Buzz Lightyear with flashing lights and loud noise). And holy cow, Jungle Cruise was impossible. It didn’t seem like it would be, but it was LOUD and crazy.

So even through I did get a DAS for my other issues, it’s still not a magic fix because waiting in the FP line can also be impossible for me. And the walking in the FP queue can be a LONG walk (FOP). It’s 50/50 that I can do even a FP queue, but I do try. I’m hoping when I take my grandkids in May that I can have the them make a ‘bubble’ around me, and I’ll feel really stupid wearing earplugs or earphones, but I will try that so that I can ride with them, or at least be in the line with them while I attempt it.

Anyway, I totally understand the reaction of not wanting to rent an ECV. I had a conversation at MK back in December with a woman about my age ‘walking’ next to me in an ECV. I almost rented one myself after speaking with her- but the crowd around overwhelmed me and I know I wasn’t going to be able to learn that evening with all of those people (shoulder to shoulder crowd that evening). I’m now open to it. After all, it’s just a tool to assist us with moving through the parks.

It takes time to process that our illnesses (which suck) have changed the way we have to live, vacation, even interact with others in stores. I’m thankful that WDW is as welcoming to the disabled as it is- I can’t imagine going into Cedar Point and asking for accommodations for the roller coasters there and having it go as well as it does at WDW.

I was unhappy with the responses I got when I initially asked questions about DAS. Not because people here were rude, mean or condescending, but because I also did not like the answers I got re: my progressive neurological and autoimmune diseases. My mobility is at times very good, except for standing still.

However, that was NOT why I was granted a DAS. The neuro things also create sensory issues and I had to leave the FP line at Test Track and also at 7dmt (never mind Buzz Lightyear with flashing lights and loud noise). And holy cow, Jungle Cruise was impossible. It didn’t seem like it would be, but it was LOUD and crazy.

So even through I did get a DAS for my other issues, it’s still not a magic fix because waiting in the FP line can also be impossible for me. And the walking in the FP queue can be a LONG walk (FOP). It’s 50/50 that I can do even a FP queue, but I do try. I’m hoping when I take my grandkids in May that I can have the them make a ‘bubble’ around me, and I’ll feel really stupid wearing earplugs or earphones, but I will try that so that I can ride with them, or at least be in the line with them while I attempt it.

Anyway, I totally understand the reaction of not wanting to rent an ECV. I had a conversation at MK back in December with a woman about my age ‘walking’ next to me in an ECV. I almost rented one myself after speaking with her- but the crowd around overwhelmed me and I know I wasn’t going to be able to learn that evening with all of those people (shoulder to shoulder crowd that evening). I’m now open to it. After all, it’s just a tool to assist us with moving through the parks.

It takes time to process that our illnesses (which suck) have changed the way we have to live, vacation, even interact with others in stores. I’m thankful that WDW is as welcoming to the disabled as it is- I can’t imagine going into Cedar Point and asking for accommodations for the roller coasters there and having it go as well as it does at WDW.
Ear defenders were life changing here, in a really positive way!

Off topic for the OP, but do you have a recommendation? For flights, lines, maybe even sleep in a hotel?
Honestly, we looked online and picked a pair that were a) well reviewed and b) the right colour to be acceptable to my son. They come in a lot of colours! I'm sorry not to be more technical!

Off topic for the OP, but do you have a recommendation? For flights, lines, maybe even sleep in a hotel?
I know you did not ask me but I use those over the ear protector and I love love love them I can not do Disney without them they have been a huge help for me. Pro For Sho 34dB Shooting Ear Protection - Special Designed Ear Muffs Lighter Weight & Maximum Hearing Protection. you can probley compy and past this in amazon search and find the,

I was on the fence about renting an ECV for our upcoming trip and thought my Rollator would suffice. After reading all of these relatable experiences, reading the expectations from the OP, and waking up today with my knees barking at me, the rental reservation has been placed!

I guess I should be thanking the OP for this thread.

Honestly, we looked online and picked a pair that were a) well reviewed and b) the right colour to be acceptable to my son. They come in a lot of colours! I'm sorry not to be more technical!
I don’t know what brand yours are, but the ones I see recommended most and also see most in the parks are Peltor brand. They are made by 3M, which also makes industrial hearing protection. I’d go with any of the Peltor ones.

This link is to the smaller one, which also come in pink.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086GATYM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_fn7nEbVV41B06

I was on the fence about renting an ECV for our upcoming trip and thought my Rollator would suffice. After reading all of these relatable experiences, reading the expectations from the OP, and waking up today with my knees barking at me, the rental reservation has been placed!

I guess I should be thanking the OP for this thread.
don't know if it will help you but I found a folding cane helped me a lot getting out of rides esp the boat type like Small World. it gave me something to balance on as I stepped out. just another thing to think about and yes I have a bad knee which is my major problem

Thanks for the response. I have seen the statement you quoted, but I was really looking to see if there was something more definitive on their website. I take the quoted statement as you don't need one just because you have a wheelchair (because of accessible lines), not you wont get one if you have a wheelchair for mobility issues. I have seen many posters say DAS "will not be granted for mobility/stamina issues", or as the poster above that I quoted "mobility issues do not qualify". So I was wondering if I missed it on the website. Thanks for the clarification!

Personally, I think you're kind of splitting hairs. It seems pretty upfront in the policy to me.

If your issues can be resolved with the use of a mobility aid, that's the route they'll ask you to go. It doesn't mean never. I don't think it can ever be 100% either way, but I definitely wouldn't plan on it being different for anyone. And OP seemed to want something hard and fast to follow so it seems that going off of the policy/experiences the safest bet is to assume she will not receive a DAS. Anyone can request one though.

don't know if it will help you but I found a folding cane helped me a lot getting out of rides esp the boat type like Small World. it gave me something to balance on as I stepped out. just another thing to think about and yes I have a bad knee which is my major problem

Thanks for the suggestion! This is a very short trip to the parks pre-cruise, and I was purposely going to avoid any rides that require a step down. I have to go up and down two flights of stairs where I live so one step down shouldn't be too horrible if unavoidable.

You know, people keep throwing around using the scooter like its not big deal, well it is a big deal. I'm trying to live my life here and I don't need someone removing my choices for me. Nothing against chairs, I could end up in one and if it happens so be it, but these things have long lasting psycological impacts on people and their families, once my kids see me in one marking progression of disease that can't be undone. Don't you get that? Rheumatology and pharmas are making new medicines every day trying to give us all hope and keep us out of chairs with strong mobility and you are all like, nahhh - too much of a bother
I fought against using a chair at Disney for a long time. I have an ankle that was severely broken over a decade ago. I don’t use any kind of mobility devices in my day to day life, but Disney was excruciating for me. I had to sit often, my ankle would swell, I’d be pushing through pain so I didn’t ruin everyone else’s trip, and then at night, I’d have to elevate and ice for hours to bring the swelling down to a reasonable level and it would take me almost a week to physically recouperate from my vacation! Finally, on an adult only trip, my fiancé forced me to try a chair and it made a *huge* difference for me. Not only could I do more because I wasn’t constantly sitting on benches, I was happier, more relaxed, and truly enjoyed my vacation. The next trip that I took the kids, they appreciated my mood and ability to do more. Now I own a secondhand wheelchair that is just for Disney. There is no shame in needing help there. It’s not uncommon for people to walk 15-20 miles a day in the parks. That’s a lot for anyone. I think your frustration with not qualifying for the DAS may be in part to how the old Guest Assistance cards worked. Before, one of the options was to use alternate entrances which inadvertently pushed you to the head of the line in a lot of instances. That is not the way DAS works, so it doesn’t really cut your line down at all.
I hope you are able to take your trip and make good memories with your family. That is after all, why we go on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter