DCL don't take Covid seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish DCL had some written policy as to what happens after the quick test and it shows positive that they had procedures they follow like PCR testing times and call us -not that we call the medical center and treated as stupid that we didn't call the health inspector and that when the ship director of public health finally does call he does not try to put you on hold because of an important call -
Oh I have my own problems with ship medical, Disney legal team has to step in to resolve it...

It sounds to me like DCL is taking the right approach.
What letting positive people roam the ship 30 hours from when I first notified them I had Covid? The medical report said yesterday that was my fear was I had and that the diagnosis yesterday was 'common cold' so I was assured and carried on probably spreading it to others on the ship

I just wish DCL had some written policy as to what happens after the quick test and it shows positive that they had procedures they follow like PCR testing times and call us -not that we call the medical center and treated as stupid that we didn't call the health inspector and that when the ship director of public health finally does call he does not try to put you on hold because of an important call -
Pretty sure that policy exists in pencil. But they haven’t been able to put it ink fast enough before it changes. Legal team probably must approve all that stuff and a comprehensive document would be difficult because Covid changes so fast(or they work so slow?)

So true, and with an 11 night cruise that we are on - what happens if all the negative first tests show positive 24 hours later?
I was on a 13 night cruise in May that’s pretty much how the positive ones all explained testing went for them. Negative then positive. What day are you in the trip?

I hope you feel better soon.

I saw pictures how the Northen Lights were visuele last night from the Magic, were you able to see them?

What letting positive people roam the ship 30 hours from when I first notified them I had Covid? The medical report said yesterday that was my fear was I had and that the diagnosis yesterday was 'common cold' so I was assured and carried on probably spreading it to others on the ship
I guess you have to ask yourself why DCL considers Covid like a common cold. Disney didn't force you to roam the ship.

I thought I just read another poster say the Medical Center does not charge if it is
Cold/COvid/Gastro related? I know last year my sis n law went for a visit and thought
for sure she had Covid and got tested. It was negative and stayed negative and they gave
her some cold meds. Medical center did not charge her but keep in mind this was a year ago
so procedures might have changed.

If you were so concerned you could have chosen to self isolate in your room till you knew for sure. If you thought it was common cold for sure then you wouldn’t have tested again and on that logic you were still spreading an illness.

There are positive covid people walking around living life wherever you go now, just like every over illness. Society is moving on and resuming taking over their choices of risk and comfort. Now yes if Yoursick be cautious but society never will hide away for every illness it’s not sustainable.

Were your excursions booked through Disney? I fell and sprained my ankle on our Fantasy cruise. I was unable to go on our hiking excursion the next day. The ship's doctor gave me a note saying I couldn't go on the excursion and I got a refund. He said it was policy that my dh could also get a refund if he didn't want to go without me. He said it was policy if a passenger gets hurt/sick and they need a family member to help them, then the family member will also get a refund. My dh took the letter to guest services and they gave a refund for both of us. If your dh decides to stay on the ship, I would call both the medical and guest services again and ask again about a refund.

I guess you have to ask yourself why DCL considers Covid like a common cold. Disney didn't force you to roam the ship.
That's unfair, I was assured by the medical centre it wasn't Covid and have probably now infected a ton of other people - that's not me I am an honest person and would not ruin the holidays of others on board

That's unfair, I was assured by the medical centre it wasn't Covid and have probably now infected a ton of other people - that's not me I am an honest person and would not ruin the holidays of others on board

But you could have ruined someone’s trip by giving them the common cold. The everyday cold can be miserable and vacation ruining. You don’t seem to care about that only covid.

It bothers me that the newer virus is not showing on the testing until a day after severe symptoms.
In the past 2 months I can’t remember a person who didn’t say: “it was positive on my second test”. I’m surprised we don’t have more updated tests since they have an updated shot coming out in a few months.
With so many old tests that are late to detect Covid out there it would be nice to see those given to countries with no tests.
Just thinking had we given out our small pox vaccine before that expired to Africa(USA dumped out so much a few months ago) maybe we would not be in this situation with Monkey pox.
The problem is that the rapid antigen tests are like that sometimes. You might be surprised to know that for the flu it is like that as well (not testing positive as first). It doesn’t really have anything to do with the virus changing. It has all to do with the viral load necessary to show a positive result as well as having a good sample taken. There’s just not going to be any better rapid antigen tests.

The problem with Covid in particular is that the symptoms are mostly identical to the “common cold” and so there is no way to know you are positive before a positive test. The best way to pick up an early positive would be the pcr based tests so I am really surprised that that’s not the protocol on the ships. It’s just a crap shoot, especially early in the infection, if you will turn positive or not.

As was said hope you are getting better, it is no fun. According to the CDC it can take 5 days for a positive test after the onset of symptoms so I think you are being a little over critical of the medical team. Also remember they are a 3rd party and not DCL employees.

As was said hope you are getting better, it is no fun. According to the CDC it can take 5 days for a positive test after the onset of symptoms so I think you are being a little over critical of the medical team. Also remember they are a 3rd party and not DCL employees.
Does it matter if they are DCL employees or not?
If medical staff hears 'I have 3 Covid symptoms', then the first reaction should be: "Let's do a test, could also be a cold, but let's do a test. Please stay in your cabin till we know for sure."
To send the patient away with cold meds and nothing else sounds careless to me. Yes, my Covid didn't show up in a test till day 5. But kept testing on the days in between. That's something Disney could have done.

So, currently in Reykjavik on Disney magic. Called health services yesterday as unwell, told it's common cold and given 91 dollar bill for meds (like I couldn't have bought them for less half the amount in the gift shop) I am 150%sure I was Covid positive at that time but was allowed to mingle on the ship over 24hours.

An afterthought of the medical center was have a Covid test and test in the morning, this morning.
I am more interested in what happened how medical staff initially send OP away and later said 'let's do a test'. This sounds like OP was seen by medical staff #1, who sends OP away 'it's a cold', later #1 tells this case to colleagues of the medical staff and someone was probably 'Eh... you did what? Get that guest a test to be sure'.

Also for medical staff to be talking to a patient and then in the meantime answer the phone to help someone else, is not how medical staff should treat a patient. Their full attention should be on the patient during the consult. Regardless if it was Disney, at a hospital, at sea or on land, that's just rude.

Was your husband given the option to quarantine with you? I think that would have allowed you to remain in your stateroom and they would have cancelled/refunded both for the port adventure. Of course, that would also mean he couldn’t do anything onboard, but it’s an option I’ve read other families did to stay together.

They only have non-positives quarantine if the positive person is a minor. I guess you could choose to quarantine with your partner, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that when it's only adults. When my son, 16, tested positive, they said at least one of us had to quarantine with him. Since there are only 3 of us, it seemed unfair to let one of the adults free and quarantine the other, so we chose to quarantine together.

For us, my son tested positive in the health center on a rapid antigen. Then they did a rapid PCR to confirm. They had us come down to the health center for all testing. We ended up traipsing through a lot of the ship trying to find an open passageway to the health center from deck 9. Many of the outdoor decks were closed for cleaning; it was during dinner. Also most of the deck 2 hallways were blocked for crew quarantining. We felt bad but didn't have a choice. Luckily, we all had N95/KN95 masks.

I thought I just read another poster say the Medical Center does not charge if it is
Cold/COvid/Gastro related? I know last year my sis n law went for a visit and thought
for sure she had Covid and got tested. It was negative and stayed negative and they gave
her some cold meds. Medical center did not charge her but keep in mind this was a year ago
so procedures might have changed.
Some people on our cruise were not charged. They charged us when our son tested positive for the visit, antigen and PCR tests, and the cough/cold medicine. I didn't dispute it, but I think it was an accident or just inconsistency.

If medical staff hears 'I have 3 Covid symptoms', then the first reaction should be: "Let's do a test, could also be a cold, but let's do a test. Please stay in your cabin till we know for sure."
They did test before OP was given the “it’s a cold” diagnosis. OP said it was a 5-minute test which I take to mean a rapid antigen. OP thinks additional testing (PCR) should have been done immediately. That just isn’t typical protocol even on land. At least not here.

Since there are only 3 of us, it seemed unfair to let one of the adults free and quarantine the other, so we chose to quarantine together.
I guess I don’t see how that is any different than forcing a party of 2 to split. I’m sure I’ve read reports that the party was given a choice to all quarantine or just the ill person.

Does it matter if they are DCL employees or not?
To send the patient away with cold meds and nothing else sounds careless to me. Yes, my Covid didn't show up in a test till day 5. But kept testing on the days in between. That's something Disney could have done.
I think it does DCL did not make any of the decisions, the 3rd party Medical Team did, yet she says DCL doesn't care. Big difference in my opinion, since as @lanejudy said they followed current protocol. Also as other's have said personal responsibility would have you stay in your cabin, or mask up, even with a "bad cold".

In July, although with symptoms, DH also was told he had a cold, and not tested. We got home and tested +. This was on the Dream.
This is a story I’m hearing a lot!!! Especially people testing day 3-4 after disembarking. At work we are now not even scheduling workers for the three days after returning from a cruise or a trip until they have returned and waited at least 3-5 days and have a negative test. Symptoms…. Assume COViD. Yes- foreign ports are becoming frustrated with the cruise lines/passengers lack of heading precautionary advice. I really want to return to cruising but can’t find a single member of my medical team that can support the decision. If all the “recommendations” were being met, it would be a different story but alas they are reccommendations and not required. The term used by the various regulatory bodies is “- reasonable person” and responsible operator would” and “detailed plans”. It’s like pulling teeth to get any form of detailed plans from DCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter