DCL don't take Covid seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you happen to bring covid tests with you? I was thinking that would be a good idea for a cruise (which we are probably taking next fall and I'm thinking of doing that). I don't think we will when going to Vegas in a few weeks because we'll only be there for 4 days 3 nights but we'll test beforehand and when we get back, but a longer cruise I was thinking of doing that. I know when I was in WDW/USO in May I could reasonably go to a store somewhere and get one, but a cruise is so so different.

The going advice hammered into our heads since the pandemic is to stay home if feeling sick. If you felt you were sick (and in your OP you did say you were sure you were covid positive at that time) you would have wanted to stay in your cabin. DCL isn't responsible for you leaving your cabin or potentially infecting others, that was all you. However, I understand feeling like they did not take your situation seriously enough as a suspected covid case.

On the one hand we can't say we have to take responsibility on a personal level to make the choices we make at this point and on the other hand say the cruise line is responsible for our decisions we make.

I do wonder like the other person on the cost because I had been reading the other thread about GI symptoms where their cost was zero so I've been wondering if there is sorta a murky part we are in now where they are treating things a bit differently.

It sounds to me like DCL is taking the right approach.
Having a OHS background. I can’t help but question the above statement. Given the pandemic… symptoms should be assumed COViD (when situated in high risk environments). The default in these situations is clearly to error on the side of caution. The status of lateral testing is well documenting in terms of delayed positives and isolation I. The early hours/days is the only prudent course of action. The delays in reporting and or quarantining should also be reported to the port Authority (in foreign ports) and the foreign transport authority. This is key so that they can confirm what DCL is reporting and their procedures vs what is actually transpiring. This includes the pre boarding testing quality (did they actually proctor your test? Or simply quickly tell you to do the test and then take a picture and send them a photo? (Pre boarding screening). Are people with symptoms walking about? Have people who tested positive jumped on a foreign planes (where your not allowed to and flown back?) all of these things need to be reported (not to Disney but to the local governments). DCL has the ability to raise the bar instead of keep lowering it.

This is a story I’m hearing a lot!!! Especially people testing day 3-4 after disembarking. At work we are now not even scheduling workers for the three days after returning from a cruise or a trip until they have returned and waited at least 3-5 days and have a negative test. Symptoms…. Assume COViD. Yes- foreign ports are becoming frustrated with the cruise lines/passengers lack of heading precautionary advice. I really want to return to cruising but can’t find a single member of my medical team that can support the decision. If all the “recommendations” were being met, it would be a different story but alas they are reccommendations and not required. The term used by the various regulatory bodies is “- reasonable person” and responsible operator would” and “detailed plans”. It’s like pulling teeth to get any form of detailed plans from DCL.
Which foreign ports are these? I just visited 8 different countries in Europe and all of them could have cared less. No covid restrictions anywhere.

Which foreign ports are these? I just visited 8 different countries in Europe and all of them could have cared less. No covid restrictions anywhere.

The majority have moved on, a few refuse to. The CDC has even pretty much moved on. Very few locally even talk about it anymore, it’s just one of the many illnesses Someone can get now. Only a few countries are left being strict about it. Give it 6 months tops and there will be no covid rules on cruises or only a few based on the very few destinations that may still require then.

OP, so sorry this happened to you and hope you feel better soon. Ugh to the comments about Covid Vs. common cold. I know quite a few people who had very mild Covid cases but now are dealing with debilitating long Covid. Great to hear that so many don’t care about it anymore but there are still some of us who want to avoid a life-altering condition. For that reason, we’re not cruising again until things calm down. It’s not “moving on” or not, this is still a new illness that millions are suffering long term ramifications from. Vacations are important to us but so is health. (And we did cruise DCL twice since restart so we love cruising and recognized the risks at that time.) Please have some empathy for OP and others who are sick and need to vent about their situation.

Not true- each vessel (regardless if it’s a cruise or commercial) submits electronic documentation with each landing. The EU (member countries) have similar restrictions but also IMO regulations also come into play. Other countries such as Canada have additional reporting standards and requirements for persons arriving by vessel vs by air or land. The carrier has a duty and obligation to report certain testing and result information as well as compliance with self reported policies and procedures. This is not a unique requirement as reporting on health and safety has been part of maritime law long before Covid. I have provided OHS services in multiple deep sea ports in Africa Europe and North America. I have closely followed and contributed to the reporting guidelines for a number of jurisdictions. My point is if you believe that the standards presented to you (or you believe were presented to you) have not been met then by all means report them to the port authority and for instance Transport Canada or the Vancouver Port Authority. If they only reported 10 cases and 30 people are suspected cases then there is an issue. If they reported 10 and there is 10 and they followed all of their internal practices perfect! Risk exists and people have the absolute right to take take it. However knowing the actual risks and following all stated protocols and reporting should always be expected. Hence the reason that some countries and many/most of the medical community is still advising against seniors and high risk individuals from cruising. DCL was on the fence until the recent decision to reduce its percentage of fully vaccinated travellers and the anecdotal positives after returning. I personally believe it can be done safely for most passengers with minimal interruptions but at the same time small errors can be amplified in short order if people get lax and start skipping simple steps.

Not true- each vessel (regardless if it’s a cruise or commercial) submits electronic documentation with each landing. The EU (member countries) have similar restrictions but also IMO regulations also come into play. Other countries such as Canada have additional reporting standards and requirements for persons arriving by vessel vs by air or land. The carrier has a duty and obligation to report certain testing and result information as well as compliance with self reported policies and procedures. This is not a unique requirement as reporting on health and safety has been part of maritime law long before Covid. I have provided OHS services in multiple deep sea ports in Africa Europe and North America. I have closely followed and contributed to the reporting guidelines for a number of jurisdictions. My point is if you believe that the standards presented to you (or you believe were presented to you) have not been met then by all means report them to the port authority and for instance Transport Canada or the Vancouver Port Authority. If they only reported 10 cases and 30 people are suspected cases then there is an issue. If they reported 10 and there is 10 and they followed all of their internal practices perfect! Risk exists and people have the absolute right to take take it. However knowing the actual risks and following all stated protocols and reporting should always be expected. Hence the reason that some countries and many/most of the medical community is still advising against seniors and high risk individuals from cruising. DCL was on the fence until the recent decision to reduce its percentage of fully vaccinated travellers and the anecdotal positives after returning. I personally believe it can be done safely for most passengers with minimal interruptions but at the same time small errors can be amplified in short order if people get lax and start skipping simple steps.
Ummm....Ok.

If you’re traveling or on a cruise just assume you will be exposed to COVID. At this point most people don’t care about it. Time to get back to normal.
Agreed. Most people I know have had omicron, have natural immunity and have moved on. I only know of a couple people who have not had omicron at this point, it is so transmissible. I would assume that any place you go out in public right now could be a spreader event. Not just cruising.

Did you happen to bring covid tests with you? I was thinking that would be a good idea for a cruise (which we are probably taking next fall and I'm thinking of doing that). I don't think we will when going to Vegas in a few weeks because we'll only be there for 4 days 3 nights but we'll test beforehand and when we get back, but a longer cruise I was thinking of doing that. I know when I was in WDW/USO in May I could reasonably go to a store somewhere and get one, but a cruise is so so different.
We took some instant tests with us on our 10-night Celebrity cruise and we were glad that we did. We both had scratchy throats 6 days in and tested positive on our instant tests. That empowered us to take stock of our situation and decide what to do before bothering anyone. Our initial symptoms were mild enough that if we hadn't had the instant tests we probably would have given it another day before talking to medical staff, but ultimately self-reporting was the right decision for us because by the next day we had moderate symptoms and were miserable for the rest of the cruise. Aside from any potential ethical considerations, if we were miserable anyway we might as well get a refund for those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter