DDP Rumor and affect on DVC Member Perceived Value

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having said I would NEVER do DDP again. I did it for two days last week when I met friends who were on the plan.

For me, it appears two days is plenty. (I wound up using both snack credits on bottled water) My CS meals came with desert. I threw all but one bite of one of them away (after bite one I decided the "calories" weren't worth the cost) However, at the second dinner at Wolfgang Puck's I did eat too much and was miserable all night....

I MIGHT do it for my two night trip in December since the CP meal alone probably makes it worthwhile (our reservations are for LeCellier) I don't think I can deal with it for more then about two days....

IMHO it makes a LOT more sense to give appetizer or desert (not both) I also think they will have to make the tip mandatory or the servers will be in trouble. I have read posts on the DIS where posters don't tip because "this vacation is already costing me too much" and "I won't ever see that server again so I don't care" (One poster once posted that if she tipped she couldn't afford to eat at the resturant and then seemed amazed that the response was that she should NOT eat at the resturant!)

Rumor Alert. I have no idea if there is any truth to this or not. I read on another website that the DDP for 2008 may no longer include tips. This seems like a big change when you consider an appetizer, entree, dessert, drink and could add a considerable extra cost. If that happened, do you still think the DDP is a good value or will you finally put that full kitchen to good use? Since the restaurants seem to now have limited menu's which some think is a result DDP, then would this change your percieved value of the DDP and eating at the Disney sit down restaurants?

Many people believe that the DDP has lowered the quality of food offered at Disney restaurants. For example, expensive items have been removed from menus because the restaurants can't afford to serve them under the plan.

Personally I wish Disney would do away with the DDP. The Disney Dining Experience, with the 20 percent discount, offers a great value without totally distorting the law of menu supply and demand. Restaurants can still serve the expensive items because they receive more more for them, they just have to give a little bit of a discount.

Just my opinion....

Many people believe that the DDP has lowered the quality of food offered at Disney restaurants. For example, expensive items have been removed from menus because the restaurants can't afford to serve them under the plan.

Personally I wish Disney would do away with the DDP. The Disney Dining Experience, with the 20 percent discount, offers a great value without totally distorting the law of menu supply and demand. Restaurants can still serve the expensive items because they receive more more for them, they just have to give a little bit of a discount.

Just my opinion....
An opnion with which I agree.

Also, no DDP might make it easier to get ADRs again since all those families eating at the TS restaurants we like to eat at would go back to not spending the money to eat there. (Sounds selfish, I know.)

An opnion with which I agree.

Also, no DDP might make it easier to get ADRs again since all those families eating at the TS restaurants we like to eat at would go back to not spending the money to eat there. (Sounds selfish, I know.)

You are right. But that doesn't have to mean less profit for Disney. The DDP seems to be based on the notion of selling lots more food at less profit. I'd rather pay a little higher price and be able to get in the restaurant, not have it packed to the gills, have better service and a full menu.

FYI : When my daughter was in the college intern program 2 yrs ago, she told us that interns were not allowed to be put in tipped positions at the restaurants. They could be a host ot hostess or work counter service, but they could not wait tables. However at the World showcase restaurants the foreign interns do wait tables to add to the atmosphere, that is a different program.

If anyone remembers the old "Candlelight Processional Package" which also included prepaid components, it has changed considerably over the years. I much preferred it when it included the tax, tip, and non-alcoholic beverage...all of which have been removed and are now separate charges. Even better was the year we got a lanyard and pin, plus all of the above included. I could give my teens the CPPackage and know they didn't have to handle any money and could just go and enjoy the meal. ( I sang in the CP so wasn't accompanying them to the dinner). I'd rather pay more for the package, either the CP Package or the DDP and have everything included. I know I'm probably in the minority here as I do agree that gratuities should be based on service received vs. just prepaid, but I like the simplicity of the current plan in my budget even if it may sometimes not be the best percieved value or way to handle the tips. I'd much rather have the option of either appy, dessert, or non-alc beverage than to take out the taxes, tips, and perhaps all of the above. All of the proposed rumored changes, to me, has a "feel" to it of having roped us in and then changing the plan to make more money by nickel and diming the guest...and it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth ( pun intended). Just IMHO.---Kathy

Really, no beverage is included this year? OY

Hey, I miss the 15% on purchases discount too!

This year will probably be our last for this package because we are able to put it on the DDP. After this year even that will change. Just too expensive. But we have great memories of all the wonderful performances we have seen throughout the years.

There are a number of threads going on about this topic on various boards, but if you look over on the DDP board, you will see that UK tour operators are already selling 2008 DDP which includes NEITHER appetizers nor gratuity.

There has obviously been no official announcement from Disney about US offerings of DDP, but this certainly does not look promising.

I looked up our DDP receipts for last May. If the appetizer and tip are removed the the DDP our cost would increase by $22.00 per adult, per day for the same food. Not a good value anymore. Oh well, like other Disney decisions, fun while it lasted. :sad2:

I wonder how it will work for us that have DDP booked for the end of December, but our stay goes into 2008? Currently I have DDP booked, but will most likely cancel it if the price doesn't drop, but now doesn't include appetizers or tip.

Regardless, it was our last time using DDP as my oldest will be turning 10 next year and I'm not gonna pay adult DDP prices for her to eat two bites...

I looked up our DDP receipts for last May. If the appetizer and tip are removed the the DDP our cost would increase by $22.00 per adult, per day for the same food. Not a good value anymore. Oh well, like other Disney decisions, fun while it lasted. :sad2:

We've been holding off on deciding whether to do DDP or DDE (well, that and the 2008 prices aren't out yet, so we can't really "do" anything, anyway).

IF both the app and tip are removed (and it's looking like that might be the case), I'll have to rework the numbers but I THINK the DDE will turn out to be the better overall value. If it's not, I think it'll be a squeaker.

Maybe I am the oddball but I like the DDP and think it is a good thing for those who come to WDW.

With that being said, if they yank the tip & tax out of it, we will not be using it again.

If the new rumored changes are as drastic as they appear--no tip, no tax and no appetizer then why would they give it away free again this year? That's the only thing I can't figure out. The only way I can make sense out of it is get people hooked on it, they buy it again without reading the changes and after paying they realize that they are not happy with it after htey are alredy there and paid in full--but who would want to deal with all that negative mail? It was good while it lasted I guess:confused3

This rumour was out before our trip end of June.

Discussed it w/a chatty server over dinner...he indicated that his supervisor discussed it with staff, informally & preliminarily. They do have a union, weak - yet still a union to protect their interests to their best ability. He mentioned that there are at least 5 applicants for every server job; and they have to go with the flow.:sad2: IMO, @ the happiest place on earth ALL employees should receive a living wage for a fair day's work. Yes, we are stockholders and union they aren't mutually exclusive.

Apparently, if the entire 18% tip is eliminated; the worry was that guests would tip much less, if not at all; if a mandatory gratuity policy isn't implemented.

Last he heard, they were going to try it with just a suggested tip, if the CMs don't receive what he termed ""fair tips, they would step in and rework things.

IMO most people, myself included, tip more than 18% I usually give 20% or more. But I do not like when a tip is included, at that point it is no longer a tip but a fee. I know a lot of places do this but IMO it serves no one the server will get 18% wether the service is good or bad and the customer may be forced to tip some one that does not desrve it. I rarely have service bad enough that I don't give atleast 20% but I want the option. I agree that if they remove the tip they should reduce the cost.
"mandatory gratuity" is this like military inteligence :rotfl:

If the new rumored changes are as drastic as they appear--no tip, no tax and no appetizer then why would they give it away free again this year? That's the only thing I can't figure out. The only way I can make sense out of it is get people hooked on it, they buy it again without reading the changes and after paying they realize that they are not happy with it after htey are alredy there and paid in full--but who would want to deal with all that negative mail? It was good while it lasted I guess:confused3

It's the psychology of selling. Free DDP? Free DME? What about DVC? It's the idea that we buy into. We are getting something special or a great deal. Better yet, we're getting something that other people aren't getting. DDP isn't free, your are paying rack rate for your room. DME isn't free, room prices and ticket prices were raised to cover the cost. In addition Disney makes a ton more money if they can keep you on property for your entire stay. DVC does offer some savings but you really have to stay flexible. If you don't care where or when you vacation DVC is a great deal.
Once Disney gets you happy with a sale they slowly chip away at it to turn additional profit. Last I looked their stock was up 17%. Some people will catch on, some won't. As soon as enough people stop participating in the sale, they will come up with a different sale or BBD. Disney isn't alone it this philosophy, it's all around us everyday. :thumbsup2

It's the psychology of selling. Free DDP? Free DME? What about DVC? It's the idea that we buy into. We are getting something special or a great deal. Better yet, we're getting something that other people aren't getting. DDP isn't free, your are paying rack rate for your room. DME isn't free, room prices and ticket prices were raised to cover the cost. In addition Disney makes a ton more money if they can keep you on property for your entire stay. DVC does offer some savings but you really have to stay flexible. If you don't care where or when you vacation DVC is a great deal.
Once Disney gets you happy with a sale they slowly chip away at it to turn additional profit. Last I looked their stock was up 17%. Some people will catch on, some won't. As soon as enough people stop participating in the sale, they will come up with a different sale or BBD. Disney isn't alone it this philosophy, it's all around us everyday. :thumbsup2

Sort of like getting 11oz to 13oz of coffee in a 1 pound can, saying you'll use less because it is a richer roast. I use the same number of scoops as I always did. :sad2:

Sort of like getting 11oz to 13oz of coffee in a 1 pound can, saying you'll use less because it is a richer roast. I use the same number of scoops as I always did. :sad2:

Same number of scoops but much richer. :lmao:

For the coffee company that is. :thumbsup2

IMO most people, myself included, tip more than 18% I usually give 20% or more. But I do not like when a tip is included, at that point it is no longer a tip but a fee. I know a lot of places do this but IMO it serves no one the server will get 18% wether the service is good or bad and the customer may be forced to tip some one that does not desrve it. I rarely have service bad enough that I don't give atleast 20% but I want the option. I agree that if they remove the tip they should reduce the cost.
"mandatory gratuity" is this like military inteligence :rotfl:

Well said.

:teacher: Why guess at what NO ONE has the FACTS too.:rotfl2:

I am confused as too all of you get your facts:confused3

Is there some disney fairy telling you this:wizard:

Since everyone else has guessed at what is going to happen here is Mine:dance3:

NOTHING WILL CHANGE BUT THE PRICE !!!!!!!:cheer2:

It will go from 37.99 to 39.99 :rolleyes1

So unless your setting the price or you are a Disney fairy do not guess:rotfl:

This is todays lesson in rumor:teacher:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter