DDP Rumor and affect on DVC Member Perceived Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEACHCLUBVILLAS

Mouseketeer
Rumor Alert. I have no idea if there is any truth to this or not. I read on another website that the DDP for 2008 may no longer include tips. This seems like a big change when you consider an appetizer, entree, dessert, drink and could add a considerable extra cost. If that happened, do you still think the DDP is a good value or will you finally put that full kitchen to good use? Since the restaurants seem to now have limited menu's which some think is a result DDP, then would this change your percieved value of the DDP and eating at the Disney sit down restaurants?

Rumor Alert. I have no idea if there is any truth to this or not. I read on another website that the DDP for 2008 may no longer include tips. This seems like a big change when you consider an appetizer, entree, dessert, drink and could add a considerable extra cost. If that happened, do you still think the DDP is a good value or will you finally put that full kitchen to good use? Since the restaurants seem to now have limited menu's which some think is a result DDP, then would this change your percieved value of the DDP and eating at the Disney sit down restaurants?

The rumor was discussed hear a couple of weeks ago
Try doing a search on DDP. There was also a discussion on the DIS pod cast.

I sent an email to DVC about this and was told they do not deal in rumors ,although they did not say it wasn't true. I told them that if the tips had to be paid on top of the regular daily cost , that it was not worth it. I hope enough people will let them know how you feel. Maybe it will help influence the decision. I also told them that at times, they offer free dining and now we would be expected to pay more. I told them that it won't happen here. I will eat elsewhere, that is less expensive. There will be 3 of us and I figure the tip on all the sitdown meals will be in the $25- $33 range everyday. Not worth it.

I move the fridge to the bedroom so the beer is close at hand when I wake up. :teeth:

Seriously though, I only use the fridge, microwave, and the coffeemaker. :smokin:

MG
I gotta toast my morning bagel. :coffee: Otherwise I don't think I've ever used the stove/oven. I did grill once.......

It's all rumor so you can't really say until the details are announced. If the price is the same, that would be a net effect of an 18% increase. On the other hand, if they reduce the price 10%, then it would not be so bad.

You're right, we have to wait to see the details. 18% is pretty significant. DDE is looking better particularly if using the full kitchen is never an option for some!

Well, since DVC units with kitchens pre-date the DDP by about 13 years, I don't know about them "finally" getting some use. ;)

This is a completely subjective comment but since the DDP was introduced, it seems like there are more and more people saying "ugh, too much food...never again!" I have no data to back that up so these people could still be firmly in the minority.

On the variety issue, while I think that restaurants have streamlined their offerings, there is still an excellent amount of variety to be found. It's just that you now have to go to two separate restaurants to find what you could previously get at one. :)

DDE has always been the way to go for our family, so changes to DDP won't impact us at all. Assuming that Disney needs to cut costs somehow, I've always wondered why they didn't change the TS meals to an appetizer OR a dessert. I mean, how many of us comfortably consume that much food in a typical meal, much less once per day for 6 or 8 days straight?!?! If you've got a party of 4 dining, you can still get 2 appetizers and 2 desserts to share, and probably a lot less food waste.

I sent an email to DVC about this and was told they do not deal in rumors ,although they did not say it wasn't true. I told them that if the tips had to be paid on top of the regular daily cost , that it was not worth it. I hope enough people will let them know how you feel. Maybe it will help influence the decision. I also told them that at times, they offer free dining and now we would be expected to pay more. I told them that it won't happen here. I will eat elsewhere, that is less expensive. There will be 3 of us and I figure the tip on all the sitdown meals will be in the $25- $33 range everyday. Not worth it.

Remember that DVC does not own, nor control, the DDP. It is operated by WDW Travel as part of their packages. DVC had to negotiate for the rights to allow DVC Members to be able to use it at all...it says a lot for DVC that they were able to attain it for members at the same price as the CRO packages (sans the Free Dining packages).

DVC may be allowed to continue offering the DDP, but it will be under WDW Travel's terms...if WDW Travel drops the gratuities from their packages, DVC will not be able to include the gratutities.

Well, since DVC units with kitchens pre-date the DDP by about 13 years, I don't know about them "finally" getting some use. ;)

This is a completely subjective comment but since the DDP was introduced, it seems like there are more and more people saying "ugh, too much food...never again!" I have no data to back that up so these people could still be firmly in the minority.

On the variety issue, while I think that restaurants have streamlined their offerings, there is still an excellent amount of variety to be found. It's just that you now have to go to two separate restaurants to find what you could previously get at one. :)

DDE has always been the way to go for our family, so changes to DDP won't impact us at all. Assuming that Disney needs to cut costs somehow, I've always wondered why they didn't change the TS meals to an appetizer OR a dessert. I mean, how many of us comfortably consume that much food in a typical meal, much less once per day for 6 or 8 days straight?!?! If you've got a party of 4 dining, you can still get 2 appetizers and 2 desserts to share, and probably a lot less food waste.

Thats an idea that actually makes sense!

This rumour was out before our trip end of June.

Discussed it w/a chatty server over dinner...he indicated that his supervisor discussed it with staff, informally & preliminarily. They do have a union, weak - yet still a union to protect their interests to their best ability. He mentioned that there are at least 5 applicants for every server job; and they have to go with the flow.:sad2: IMO, @ the happiest place on earth ALL employees should receive a living wage for a fair day's work. Yes, we are stockholders and union they aren't mutually exclusive.

Apparently, if the entire 18% tip is eliminated; the worry was that guests would tip much less, if not at all; if a mandatory gratuity policy isn't implemented.

Last he heard, they were going to try it with just a suggested tip, if the CMs don't receive what he termed ""fair tips, they would step in and rework things.

He mentioned that there are at least 5 applicants for every server job; and they have to go with the flow.:sad2: IMO, @ the happiest place on earth ALL employees should receive a living wage for a fair day's work.

I really hope this doesn't morph into a union vs. non-union thread (please!), but if the info given to you is correct (5 applicants for each job), I think there's a very good reason for it.

Even at a TS restaurant on the low end, a family of 4 is going to eat at least $100 worth of food. That's appetizers, entrees, desserts and beverages for everyone. The server is getting an automatic 18% on that meal. Now figure how long the server is giving you attention from taking drink orders to delivery of the bill (an hour...give or take), and how many tables the server is handling at once (I'd say 2-4).

I don't know if tips are being shared with others in the restaurant but even if they are, it seems to me that the servers are not exactly on the low end of the pay scale at WDW.

I don't blame them one bit for being worried about this change--seems like a boneheaded move to me. But if we assume they are receiving appropriate gratuities, I think they are certainly getting a living wage for their efforts.

Given that they employ about 60,000 people and the wages aren't great for many positions, Disney is always on the verge of a labor shortage. No mystery that there would be people lined up for food service jobs given the prospective compensation involved.

The DDP is questionable for us now, really not worth it. If they have us pay the tip, that would be a no-brainer, no DDP for us!

I really hope this doesn't morph into a union vs. non-union thread (please!), but if the info given to you is correct (5 applicants for each job), I think there's a very good reason for it.

Even at a TS restaurant on the low end, a family of 4 is going to eat at least $100 worth of food. That's appetizers, entrees, desserts and beverages for everyone. The server is getting an automatic 18% on that meal. Now figure how long the server is giving you attention from taking drink orders to delivery of the bill (an hour...give or take), and how many tables the server is handling at once (I'd say 2-4).

I don't know if tips are being shared with others in the restaurant but even if they are, it seems to me that the servers are not exactly on the low end of the pay scale at WDW.

I don't blame them one bit for being worried about this change--seems like a boneheaded move to me. But if we assume they are receiving appropriate gratuities, I think they are certainly getting a living wage for their efforts.

Given that they employ about 60,000 people and the wages aren't great for many positions, Disney is always on the verge of a labor shortage. No mystery that there would be people lined up for food service jobs given the prospective compensation involved.

From what i garnered from our conversation, the server jobs at TS sites are very desireable, ergo the 5 others waiting in line...or perhaps it's just what they're told when they complain.:rolleyes1

No bashing here, just hope the servers don't come out short due to this change. I've never waited tables, have moonlighted as a bartender...it's not as easy as it looks.

Not sure what their hourly pay rate is, in my neck of the woods, servers are lucky to earn $3 hour; depend on tips to survive. Perhaps someone can chime in here who is aware of the salary structure for CM waitstaff.

I actually don't like when tips are included when I go to a restaurant because in a lot of ways, the service quality tends to go down a bit. It can cause servers to be more complacent if their tips are guaranteed. I would much rather tip the server individually based on the quality of the service and experience I received. Mediocre or poor service doesn't deserve an 18% gratuity. Just my .02 on including tips in general. I've never used the DDP so I can't say if the service quality is any different compared to when I am paying cash for each meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter