Deployment extended to 15 months

mrsbornkuntry

<font color=FF6666>I'm worried about raccoons<br><
Did everyone see this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070411/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/iraq_us_troops

I'm so mad, my DH just got over there about a month ago, they can keep their $1000 per month after a year, I'd rather have my DH home :mad: .

Sorry, just a little vent, I knew it could happen, it just irritates me. I won't get into a political discussion by sharing my opinions of the war in Iraq, I'll just say I wish my husband was here instead. I'm really frustrated with the White House right now, all of the back and forth going on. Is anyone else bothered by this?

Okay, my rant is over. I support my DH in whatever he does, I know it's his job and I'm proud of him, but I'm allowed my periods of raising 5 kids alone insanity, too, right ;) ?

I'm so sorry. I know how hard this is anyways without the thought of the deployment being extended. I feel the same exact way about the cash and somehow I doubt that time at home will be 12 months anyways after that.

I think that no one in Congress gives a rat's behind about the soldiers or the families. It's all about who will come out on top or make the other look like a horse's patoot but in my eyes they all do.

My husband is leaving soon without the 12 months at home and thinking about more than 12 months just makes me heart hurt even more. You absoultely have your upset time or crazy time from 5 kids; you deserve. If there is anything I can do please let me know. Good luck with your deployment and Godspeed to your soldier.

Thanks for understanding, you stated my thoughts perfectly! I don't want to sound like I don't support our soldiers, I'm just so aggravated with congress and would rather have him home.

I'm so sorry your DH is going to be leaving after not being home that long. This is my Dh's first deployment to Iraq (the others were "peacekeeping missions") and he's had a couple years in between each so I can't imagine what you're going through. :grouphug:

Feel free to rant as well, believe me, if I keep having days like today I'll be doing my fair share of it :rotfl2: .

i am not on this thread much but me and my hubby are both mil and want to say i am so so so sorry for what you are going through. sending you some prays and hugs

Kim

We are 2/3 throught this deployment and now this....we have unofficial word....awaiting official. I am just sick :(

This is my favorite quote: Sen. Lindsey Graham (news, bio, voting record), R-S.C., who supports the troop buildup, said of the affected soldiers, "They'll be disappointed, but they'll do it."

DUH. Like they have a choice.

And they the article quoted a Sgt. Major's spouse as being okay with it because she had been told to expect it. Why not ask someone a little lower on the food chain, like a Spc. or NCO's wife, someone with a little less experience and a little less concern over how they'll make their spouse look to the media, because I guarantee for every one "I'm okay with it, I was expecting it" you'll get 50 "this is bull#&@!" which is the side I'm on, and I'm a fairly seasoned spouse.

So they're doing it so soldiers can get 12 months at home in between deployments, huh, exactly how long are they expecting this war to last?

Sorry, I guess I'm still ranting. I'm just so mad right now and my cat isn't a good listener. I probably shouldn't let it get to me, the way things change they could shorten it back to a year before Dh is even home for R&R.

We were about to be 1/2 way down with the deployment and now we won't be in that situation until July, sigh. Another lonely Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, sigh.

I'm with you LK, we were pretty much exactly at 6 months when the news hit...it's official with us too, I was so excited that we were half way done, and what I really hate is that he'll miss another Christmas, but what can you do... besides suck it up and drive on....:confused3

sorry to hear about this. I think you all are amazingly strong to deal with this. I'm just popping over to take a peek since my DH wants to join the service. Part of me is proud of him and another part says why now? Then there's the other part that is already tired of defending his choice and what he feels is his obligation. And that to a guy whose Dad volunteered for two tours in Vietnam and had military honors at his funeral he feels a sense of family duty as well as duty to our country. And also trying to explain to people that you can be against things that the gov't is doing but at the same time still support the troops. I don't know how you guys do it.

I don't know how you guys do it

Some of the time we dont know either-mostly you love them-support them and take one day at a time. You find an amazing inner strength and you learn to pray. But i wouldnt trade it for anything-he makes me proud everday-and i know no matter what thay he loves me and my kids-even when duty, honor and country take him away. If your husband choosed to join you will learn the same things-and you will find out that one day at time will get you through almost anything.

sorry to hear about this. I think you all are amazingly strong to deal with this. I'm just popping over to take a peek since my DH wants to join the service. Part of me is proud of him and another part says why now? Then there's the other part that is already tired of defending his choice and what he feels is his obligation. And that to a guy whose Dad volunteered for two tours in Vietnam and had military honors at his funeral he feels a sense of family duty as well as duty to our country. And also trying to explain to people that you can be against things that the gov't is doing but at the same time still support the troops. I don't know how you guys do it.

It sounds like you already know how we do it. My husband discusses his career options with me and we decide together, so ultimately the decision was both of ours. He works hard and I'm proud of him. I don't defend our choice, simply say he does it so they don't have to.

It is tough being away from each other, but like with most other challenges you try to find people in the same boat for support, like on this board, other message boards, and of course in the military community. You do find alot of strength and independence in doing things you've never had to do before, like home and car repairs. When I look back I'm proud of what I was able to do on my own, it reminds me that while DH will always be a part of me, I am still my own person, I think DH is proud of that as well.

I am so sorry yall will have to deal with longer deployments. My prayers are with you, your spouse and family.

My bother is a reservisit (sp?) and will be considered active on 5/17. He finally had to quit his day job The first of April due to going to various schools and etc.. before 5/17. I know he has to go to NC then Ca and on to Iraq. We know he will be in falouisa (sp?) but nothing more. Who knows how long he will actually be gone.

They just gave him his own platoon and for some reason knowing he is responsible for all those guys has me more tied up in knots.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Thank you to your husbands and wives who are serving our country!!

This is my favorite quote: Sen. Lindsey Graham (news, bio, voting record), R-S.C., who supports the troop buildup, said of the affected soldiers, "They'll be disappointed, but they'll do it."

DUH. Like they have a choice.

And they the article quoted a Sgt. Major's spouse as being okay with it because she had been told to expect it. Why not ask someone a little lower on the food chain, like a Spc. or NCO's wife, someone with a little less experience and a little less concern over how they'll make their spouse look to the media, because I guarantee for every one "I'm okay with it, I was expecting it" you'll get 50 "this is bull#&@!" which is the side I'm on, and I'm a fairly seasoned spouse.

So they're doing it so soldiers can get 12 months at home in between deployments, huh, exactly how long are they expecting this war to last?

Sorry, I guess I'm still ranting. I'm just so mad right now and my cat isn't a good listener. I probably shouldn't let it get to me, the way things change they could shorten it back to a year before Dh is even home for R&R.

I agree with you!! DH's year was up in Feb. and about 5 weeks prior to his homecoming we were greeted with the news of an extension! So now we are hoping to be reunited in June (16 months after he left). Of course our R&R was at the end of June last year so it will be almost exactly a year since we've seen each other in person. We also had a trip to Disney planned for mid April that we had to cancel (and later reschedule for Xmas block leave). As we are approaching the homecoming I get anxious wondering if they'd extend them again (but logically knowing they probably won't.

As you can tell from my screen name I do want to be a Mother and that has NOT been easy to do with him gone all the time. We've been married a little over 10 years and have spent at least half of that time apart between deployments and months in the field. Dh is enlisted through 2018 so we have another 11 years of this. Don't get me wrong we have both always enjoyed his being in the Army but lately it is getting more and more stressful. His company has lost soooo many soldiers on this deployment so it has been SO different than the previous 3 deployments.

I am so glad that someone told me about this board/thread! I plan to stick around and post here more often.

Missie

I totally agree 15 months is too long and well the extra money is not worth it. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining it his job and we love being an army family. I just think that when all other branches are not made to stay even 12 months why should the army now have to stay 15. IMO the morale of the soilders would be better if they dropped deployments to 6-9 months.Good luck to all of you and hopefully it will go by fast for you guys.

Just a heartfelt "Thank You All" to each and every one of you and your families. It never ceases to amaze me how brave and strong you folks are. DD is civilian DoD who had to sign a waiver to deploy if needed and has a BF newly arrived in Iraq, I've got to say, my admiration and appreciation for the "ordinary" military is tremendous. Maybe it will help to know that others are praying daily for you all, including those in positions of authority so they might perhaps be given wisdom concerning this whole nasty mess. Anyway, thanks again and may all those loved ones return soon and safely.

Just an update to my previous post... My brother has not even gone yet...He Will leave in July (from Nc-plans changed again) and he has been extended twice. Originally it was 9 months, now he is told 13 months.

That is crazy that they've been goin on 2 years! That's way too long!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter