Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

I live in Baton Rouge, LA. Love the Florida panhandle, it’s our favorite beach area.

I’m about an hour and 15 minutes west of Panama City Beach. It used to be quite sleepy here, but getting less so lately. I’ve only driven through Baton Rouge but I think Louisiana is such a pretty state.

I am from the Boston area of MA! 🍁🍂

Ah, I love the Boston area. My husband’s company’s head office is in Nashua, NH, and last year I was able to spend quite a bit of time with him in New England. So many amazing things to see and do.

I finished my nine months of breast cancer treatment on July 10.

Congrats!

I’m from just east of Worcester. It's great to live in an area where we have such terrific medical facilities.

For sure! That’s something I’ve thought about. There’s nothing close to me.

It sounds like you have had so much to deal with on top of a cancer diagnosis. I hope things are starting to look up and you find yourself with your own space soon.

I'm like Melissa new here. I've had my biopsy and started waiting since Thursday for a two week minimum biopsy results period.
These long waits are not very fun.

What a trying time you have had, goofy4tink. I hope you are able to continue to move forward. Your ex is quite a louse, particularly pulling it while your were recovering. Glad you have a place to live and I hope you get the spousal insurance benefits straightened out soon. Please stay in touch.
My dd and I are working on the whole moving forward thing. Trying to put 'him' in the rear view mirror as we move forward.
THanks for the good thoughts all.....friends are good!!!!!

Now that I'm not shaking as much I want to thank everyone. I've been reading here, and this thread and participants are awesome. I'll be praying for every one of you. Thanks again. :grouphug:

Stopping by to say hello to all the wonderful ladies here (and a few guys too...great avatar, Jim. And Jason some time back also) during this month of breast cancer awareness. Though obviously, we all do have to be aware 12 months of the year, always aware.

Going back a few pages, a few months, lots of tough thoughts here. Those who have come here to this thread recently as new participants, know you are in wonderful company, with a wonderful camaraderie, with wonderful friendships. A remarkable group of people here.

Wishing everyone well in the days and months ahead. Be tough, celebrate the small victories, along with the big ones. Last month, September, my wife, Marie, passed her 22 year mark of her last radiation treatment following lumpectomy and chemo earlier that year (1998) for Stage III.

My very best to everyone here. :hug:'s

For those new here, this is why 'she' runs....

So many new people here

Melissa - the women here are wonderful. They have a wealth of information to share and their strength and courage is something I always admire. I have had thyroid cancer twice andthey let me hang here too. I even had met Laurie (snappy) and Dan at wdw. I pray you will have peace as you wait. It's good to keep busy.

Jim - Your support is amazing.

Goofy4tink - my heart goes out to you and all you are enduring.

NFLDERS - great news!

Dan - good to see you as always
Linda - I saw your post on the other thread. You were such a good daughter to your mom. Sending you deepest sympathy, hugs and prayers.

My aortic surgery is scheduled for 10/21. I go in the 20th for the spinal drain. Tues I see a cardiologist then all the pre op stuff when I get a date for that.
Prayers appreciated!!

GAGWTA

So many new people here

Melissa - the women here are wonderful. They have a wealth of information to share and their strength and courage is something I always admire. I have had thyroid cancer twice andthey let me hang here too. I even had met Laurie (snappy) and Dan at wdw. I pray you will have peace as you wait. It's good to keep busy.

Jim - Your support is amazing.

Goofy4tink - my heart goes out to you and all you are enduring.

NFLDERS - great news!

Dan - good to see you as always
Linda - I saw your post on the other thread. You were such a good daughter to your mom. Sending you deepest sympathy, hugs and prayers.

My aortic surgery is scheduled for 10/21. I go in the 20th for the spinal drain. Tues I see a cardiologist then all the pre op stuff when I get a date for that.
Prayers appreciated!!

GAGWTA

Lots of prayers being sent your way.

Prayers appreciated!!

Will be thinking about you @luvmarypoppins and hoping all is well. I was coming back here to check on you so glad you updated.

NFELDERS, so glad you got a negative result.

My news is unfortunately not so great. Biopsy results from both my breast and my node came back positive for invasive lobular carcinoma, and they could see a few more nodes that are enlarged. I meet with a surgeon and oncologist on Thursday. Also having some weird eye floaters/flashes that are getting worse quickly and weird leg pain so that’s pretty scary also. Guess I will know more after more appointments.

Really thinking I should maybe go straight to an opinion from a top cancer center but not even sure where to look atm.

Thanks for all the support.❤️

NFELDERS, so glad you got a negative result.

My news is unfortunately not so great. Biopsy results from both my breast and my node came back positive for invasive lobular carcinoma, and they could see a few more nodes that are enlarged. I meet with a surgeon and oncologist on Thursday. Also having some weird eye floaters/flashes that are getting worse quickly and weird leg pain so that’s pretty scary also. Guess I will know more after more appointments.

Really thinking I should maybe go straight to an opinion from a top cancer center but not even sure where to look atm.

Thanks for all the support.❤
I think going to the top cancer center in your area is a good idea. Fight it with everything you’ve got in your arsenal now. We are here with you!! ❤️ You are already a Survivor, too - remember that.

I agree! You are a survivor! Also, either a teaching hospital or a cancer center might be a good idea. MD Andersen? My surgeon was the local doc that the MD Andersen docs wanted their patients to follow them. Talk to your doctors about that. .

I have popped in here a couple of times to post but always read this thread. My mom had breast cancer twice, several friends as well. Last fall, a good friend passed away from metastatic breast cancer.

Just found out a friend was diagnosed with a recurrence after 6 years. She had triple negative, lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. The doctor is recommending a double mastectomy, although, not sure she will do that. The doctor wants her to have genetic testing.

You all inspire me with your strength, you are all amazing women. I am sorry to hear about the new posters here, wishing you didn’t have to be here. Also, some that are experiencing some setbacks in your health. You are all strong and you have so much support here.

(((HUGS)))

Melissa, I am so sorry to hear you've entered the fight. It is really important to find a cancer center that makes you comfortable. There are some terrific ones out there. Moffit Cancer Center in Tampa is highly rated. Cancer Centers of America has a location in Atlanta. And, it may be a little further, but MD Anderson is supposed to be amazing!

Hang in there! The fight is hard, but so worth it! You can do this! We are here for you!

GAGWTA! Something brought me to the DIS today, not sure what (had to change my password to get in because I couldn't remember it LOL). It's been a really long time since I've been here, and I wondered if the thread was still going. It's so wonderful to see old friends from when the thread first began 15 years ago... Laurie, Linda, Peg, and others. One of the great "gifts" of my diagnosis right after the original thread was started is the emotional and practical support I found here, and the resulting friendships and experiences. It is heartwarming to see it continue for so many others.

The last few years have brought highs and lows, as life does. I have an amazing grandson who just turned 4, he is the light of my life (via FaceTime mostly these days), they live 2 1/2 hours away, sadly. My DH was diagnosed with a degenerative neuro-cognitive condition (he still refuses to use the "A" word), and although it is in the early stages, it's been a bit consuming to adjust and prepare- in different ways for us both, of course. I've found a wonderful online support group of caregivers which is professionally facilitated/moderated, thankfully! And then Covid brings a damper on completing some bucket list things involving travel while we still can, while decreasing motivation (and resistance on his part) to do the things we should while being at home- like purging years of clutter and storage, and reorganizing. ;) Perhaps that's what drew me back here--the inspiration to carry on, stay positive, find the joy in the present moment and circumstances while connecting with other women. Women (and men like Dan Murphy :) who prove that we can be sad and vulnerable, yet find the joy with faith and resilience.

GAGWTA! Something brought me to the DIS today, not sure what (had to change my password to get in because I couldn't remember it LOL). It's been a really long time since I've been here, and I wondered if the thread was still going. It's so wonderful to see old friends from when the thread first began 15 years ago... Laurie, Linda, Peg, and others. One of the great "gifts" of my diagnosis right after the original thread was started is the emotional and practical support I found here, and the resulting friendships and experiences. It is heartwarming to see it continue for so many others.

The last few years have brought highs and lows, as life does. I have an amazing grandson who just turned 4, he is the light of my life (via FaceTime mostly these days), they live 2 1/2 hours away, sadly. My DH was diagnosed with a degenerative neuro-cognitive condition (he still refuses to use the "A" word), and although it is in the early stages, it's been a bit consuming to adjust and prepare- in different ways for us both, of course. I've found a wonderful online support group of caregivers which is professionally facilitated/moderated, thankfully! And then Covid brings a damper on completing some bucket list things involving travel while we still can, while decreasing motivation (and resistance on his part) to do the things we should while being at home- like purging years of clutter and storage, and reorganizing. ;) Perhaps that's what drew me back here--the inspiration to carry on, stay positive, find the joy in the present moment and circumstances while connecting with other women. Women (and men like Dan Murphy :) who prove that we can be sad and vulnerable, yet find the joy with faith and resilience.
How refreshing to see you again!! We’ve missed you!! So sorry to hear about your husband’s Illness. 😣 He is still infamous around here with his “Don’t bleed before you’re shot” saying that turns up on so many threads now, even outside of this one. And a grandson! That’s wonderful! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter