DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM! A Spring 2015 DCP Adventure! NEW 8/1 x2

I'm in! I can't wait to read more!

Thanks for joining!

Look forward to reading more. My daughter is also going to DCP in 2 weeks. It is so exciting! I can't wait to hear what a great time all of you have!

Yay! I'm so excited! I hope she is too! What is she working in?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. Have fun!! :) :thumbsup2

Thank you so much!

I'll join in on the fun. I did the DCP in Fall of 2009 and just teared up reading your intro. I met my best friends down there and the experience COMPLETELY changed me and my life. I am so excited to see it through another's eyes.

Oh, and I'm running the Princess half down there next month! Will you be participating in that event?

EEEE! So happy and excited for you!

Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to it! Everyone speaks so highly of the program and loves it so dearly!

Sadly I'm only running the 10K, I'm not really ready to break 10 miles in one run yet haha! Hopefully next year! Maybe I'll see you at the Expo or just around that weekend! Thank you again!

How It All Started: The Application Process

I had been tossing the idea around of doing the Disney College Program since I first found out about it in high school. I love Disney (like I’ve said a million times and will forever continue to say!) and it just seemed like a natural step. After much going back and forth, and lots of talks with current CMs, and people who have done the DCP and I finally did it! I applied!

I filled out the application on September 4th and I heard back almost immediately that I needed to fill out a Web-Based Interview. Which I did that same day, then by the end of the day I received an email to schedule a phone interview. So all of this happened on the 4th.

I scheduled my phone interview for September 7th at like 8:00 at night I think. I was really nervous because my interviewer didn’t call until almost 30 minutes after my scheduled interview time so I was getting really anxious. But she did indeed call and I talked with her for about 25 minutes I think.

And then it became a waiting game. I was told in my “Thank You” email following my interview that decisions would be made in mid-October and that I would be told either way then.

So on October 10th I received an amazing “CONGRATULATIONS” email and I was stoked!

I was accepted for Merchandise, which was a second choice for me (Front Desk and Photopass being first), but I have an ample amount of experience in Merchandise and that type of customer service so I was perfectly fine accepting this offer, which is Step 1 of the process.

I paid my program fee, Step 2. And finally Step 3, I selected my dates! January 12th to May 29th.

I then joined a Facebook group for Accepted Spring DCP and I found some people to room with through the group.

On December 9th I got my first email regarding DORMS (the newer Disney Housing thingy). Then on December 30th I got an email that registration opened and it included our “Roommate #” that could be used to link with other people you’d like to room with.

Personally I found 5 other girls with my dates to live with, nothing is official until you get there the check in morning and you find out your assignment because they tell you many, many times that these are just preferences and not all preferences can/will be met.

If you do have a group of people you’d like to live with you need to get everyone’s roommate numbers and then pick one person to be the group leader and go in and link everyone together, so I did that. And then everyone else goes in and confirms that those are the people they want to live with. Everyone has to have the same departure date or the program won’t let you link.

Then you receive and email with a barcode that is your “housing boarding pass” and then a separate email with your check in time, both that needed to printed out and brought when you get there to check in!

And the next step is getting there and actually checking in! EEP!

Continued in Next Post

Making It Happen: The School Side of It All

Let me preface this post by saying it’s going to be text heavy cause it’s all the boring school stuff. I’ll throw in some random photos for entertainment value.

Okay be really I think this is an important post for anyone who plans on doing to the Disney College Program or parent who’s student is going to be participating in the DCP.

So I go to a small liberal arts state school, and one day I was walking and saw a poster for the DCP on a big board of internship opportunities, I already had interest in the program because I’m a Disney lover and really have always wanted to do it, but seeing this poster instilled the idea in my head that my school had an affiliation with the program, like why would you have a poster promoting something if you don’t want students to do it, right?! Wrong.

I had mentioned to my advisor this was something I was thinking about doing and he’s a very free spirited opportunist and thought it was a great idea, an awesome experience, and that I should totally do it if I wanted to, BUT he didn’t know much about it, nothing actually. He knew nothing about it that I hadn’t told him. No one at my school had.

Now I thought this was a kind of big thing, like I know so many people who have done it that I just kind of assumed it was a well-known program.

So I had applied and been accepted and I was still trying to get answers about whether or not I could get credit for this program through my school. When I went to our office of registration and classes they were like, “Oh Disney University? No you don’t want to do that you don’t get any credit, it’s not through an accredited university so we don’t give credit for it.” First of all BUDDY, it’s the Disney College Program, and secondly then why do you have a big poster hanging up making it seem like you do give credit?! Huh? HUH!

Well anyway I filled out lots of forms and contacted lots of people trying to find out if I could get some credit for the 4.5 months I would be away.

For me, I am in my second year of college, fourth semester, but I have taken extra classes so I’m already a junior and I’m ahead of the rest of my class, so credit weren’t the biggest of my concerns but I wanted to see if I could at least get something.

My major is Communications so the chair of my department wasn’t going to give me 9-12 credits for working in gift shop, which I totally understand like that has nothing to do with my major, if I had done Photopass and been holding a camera all day he would’ve been able to justify it. Understandable.

I get that it’s a internship/program heavily focused for business, hospitality, and human service majors, but like I shouldn’t not do it just because I’m a communications major. It’s still a great program, and is going to look great on a resume and be an amazing experience.

So I talked to a friend who is there now and asked him if he was getting credits, he told me, “nope.” He was in the same boat as me, liberal arts state school, different school but same state. They won’t give him credit either because it’s not through an accredited university.

He told me he was talking three online classes through his school just to stay a student and get some credits.

So I decided to do that same, and in order to keep my scholarships and financial aid I had to remain a full time student of my university which meant taking 4 classes, no biggie I’ll just take them online!

I’m also taking one class through Disney, which is a Corporate Communication class. I got this approved all the way up the chain, through my advisor, then department chair, then dean of students, so it was going to be good to go. A 12-week class that is four hours a week plus intensive out of class work. Then when it got to the office of registration and classes, the woman who needed to put the information that it was approved on file made the comment along the lines of, “I don’t understand why we’re letting her do this, it’s not from an accredited university.” …… Ugh lady!

So no credits for little old me! But I’m still taking the class for funsies.

When I asked my roommates if they were getting credit, I found out that most of them we’re getting credit either. Only two are getting credit, one is getting 12 credits for the program and taking 1 of the classes through Disney. Another is getting 6 credits for the program and taking two online classes from her school.

So for anyone planning on doing the program, really check with your school before you do it! And online classes are always an option! You just don’t want to end up behind or off track because your school doesn’t accommodate the program! Or you could always wait until right after you graduate college too!

It really just depends on your school!

Continued in Next Post

On The Road Again - Wednesday, January 7th, 2015

The morning was pretty uneventful. I was so excited and anxious I woke up at 6 AM! YIKES! I couldn’t fall back to sleep so I got up anyway and start corralling all of my stuff to pack into my car! Ingrid! Yep my car is named Ingrid, if you knew her you’d totally feel like she’s a Ingrid!

Around 6:45 Mom and I started working our magic and finding a way to fit everything in, and within a few trips between the house and the car we had it all in and perfectly packed! It all just fit!

Mom had to go to work for a little, so we both we to her office and I just hung out for a while. When 10:30 rolled around it was finally time to head out, we made a final stop for crackers and pastina (if you don’t know what pastina is you should cause it’s amazing and APPARENTLY they don’t have it in Florida… or so my mom says) and got gas and then we hit the road, at 11:11 as my mom kindly pointed out!

I drove so mom took pictures, and many of them so here is a condensed version for all your lovely people!

We drove for about 7 hours today! Through Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. Mom’s job was to get some “Welcome to __” signs, but she doesn’t really understand my camera so A for effort C for execution.

We listen to so many CDs, I was so thankful to myself and my friends who have made a numerous amount of CDs over the years because we got tired of the radio about 4 songs in, so the 8 CDs we went through were a fabulous mix up! CDs ranging from mix tapes of oldies like Britney Spears, Hilary Duff, and Jessie McCartney to Disney tunes, to Taylor Swift and even some One Direction. CDs rock, ‘nough said.

CT

MD

We made a stop before leaving NJ for gas and some BK to hold us over. We also had some cheese and crackers in the car that we brought with us that made for a great snack!

As we were getting closer to our hotel I came up with idea to make a detour to our favorite cupcake place! It started in Georgetown and now there are some spread out in the Northeast!

Madre posted: “Wouldn’t be a road trip without a cupcake stop…”

Georgetown Cupcakes!!! Of the TLC show DC Cupcakes! I love them! If you haven’t tried their cupcakes you’re really missing out they are awesome!

After our little stop we headed to the hotel, checked in, headed up the room, and just hung out. We had some cupcakes and watched some TV then headed to bed, who knew driving could make you so tired!

We stayed at a Hampton Inn right off I-95 in Woodbridge, VA. Complimentary breakfast, free wi-fi, and a pool (not that we swam but still!).

Okay, but like really these are amazing! Mom got Salted Caramel, Vanilla2, and Strawberry, and I got Red Velvet, Vanilla2, and Strawberry! We both had our strawberry ones and they were amazing!

Today was rather uneventful seeing that all we did was drive, but exciting things are coming I promise!

Continued in Next Post

Are We There Yet? - Thursday, January 8th 2015

We woke up to a chilly morning in Virgina! It was 8 am and only like 5 degrees or so! WOW! That’s colder than it normally is at home! Mom and I both showered quick and packed up then headed downstairs to check out, grab some complimentary breakfast and hit the road!

Yummm omelets and biscuits and gravy by the fireeee! Ooooo aaaaaaah!

Look how cute these coffee holder coozie things are! Great job Hampton Inn! I’m a nerd about well designed things, let it happen.

We checked out and headed to the car, and went right over to the gas station on the same road to fill up the tank! Woo for gas! Mom drove today, so I was in charge of pictures and music selection.

Mom posted this on facebook: “Only someone from New England would clean their windows in 9 degrees in Virginia!”

I was cleaning the windows in the frigged temperatures! It was mere 0 degrees at home so I was okay with those 9 degrees I guess. After gas we hoped in the car and headed for Savannah, our next stop!

Mom and I were ill prepared for the cold temperatures, we didn’t bring our winter jackets because we didn’t think we’d need them in Florida, but with this cold chill we probably should’ve brought them. Ah, c’st la vie.

VA snap

We passed this sign and mom commented, “Imagine the poor little kindergarteners who have to learn to spell that! Spotslyvania!”

There are some strange city names out there especially coming from and area with a lot of –boroughs, -fields, -ways, and –lands we keep in simple in the Northeast throwing in a hard one like Worcester and Haverhill every once in a blue moon.

A couple hours in and we had finally made it to North Carolina! Hollaa!

NC snap

BABE IS THAT YOU!?

But really how cool and Disney is that… Pretty sure it’s not pronounced the same way but I’d totally go there just because.

We kept driving and driving and driving and finally stumbled upon South Carolina. I was too busy trying to get a picture of this to notice the “welcome to” sign

SC snap

Things like this are so interesting to me cause we don’t have this near us. Fireworks are illegal and like the idea of just going in and buying your own fireworks and then doing your own Wishes or Illumiations or whatever ya feel is so weird to me! I don’t think I’ve ever even held a sparkler1

How sweet SC is saying goodbye

Another awful state sign picture but you get the gist

GA snap wooo!

We listened to a really long playlist of mine that I love, so that was awesome! And then we listen to a bunch of soundtracks from musicals! Into The Woods (which is amazing by the way!), Wicked, Legally Blonde, Aladdin The Musical, and Beauty and the Beast on Broadway!

We made one stop for gas and a snack, we had BK again which is extremely out of character for us because we rarely eat fast food but here we are eating it two days in a row. Ugh.

We got to our next Hampton Inn at about 5 o’clock. We stayed in Midtown.

Hampton Inns aren’t too shabby. We walked in to our room and it look exactly the same.

We hung around for a few minutes while I made reservations at The Lady & Sons, which is Paula Deen’s restaurant in Downtown Savannah that started it all. Then at about 5:45 we headed into the city area for that.

The holiday lights were still up!

Food pics, obviously:

Starter bread – cheese biscuit and a pancake biscuit of sorts, both were amazing

Mom and I split two dishes, Crab Stuffed Shrimp and Savannah Crab Cakes. Both were okay. We had Sweet Tea and that was really good cause I love southern sweet tea. It’s just not the same in New England.

We both agree that we enjoyed the rice on the side more than the actual dishes, but hey it’s an experience!

My best friend from high school goes to college in Savannah so she met up with us for dinner and we all chatted for a while and it was awesome seeing her because I love her.

Helen and I went to Disney together in May when I visited her

Continued in Next Post

Wow Grace, this really did happen so fast (though I imagine at the time it didn't feel like it). Of all the emails to receive, one starting "Congratulations" has to be at the top. :goodvibes

Facebook seems so helpful in connecting with other DCP'ers. I've heard this so much.

I really do not understand the issue with getting some form of credit from the program. I know all schools are different, but I went to University for a business degree, yet I still had to take "electives" like Phychology or English or even Religious Studies, none of which had anything to do with my program. The whole point of "higher education" in my opinion is to develop a well rounded person, and I think DCP fits that to a "T". I just don't get it. Regardless, I think you'll get so much out of the program anyway, credits or not.

I will add that it appears you picked a fantastic time to move to Florida since pretty much everywhere is deep freeze. Oy it's cold.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER!!!!! :love: Oh my does that bring back memories of Florida drives when I was a kid. Actually stayed there for a night. Wow.

Haha, our Walmart actually sells fireworks.

Sounds like you had a fun drive! Very cool that you got to meet up with your friend and try Paula Deen's restaurant. Those lacy place mats are exactly what I would picture at her restaurant. :rotfl2: Can't wait to hear more.

That's so awesome Disney finally has a system for apartment assignments! I heard so many stressful stories about people having to show up with their roommates on registration day super early in the morning. Glad that's one less thing I'll have to worry about!

Ugghhh, it bothers me so much how schools don't accept DCP credits. I go to a similar school (small liberal arts college) and I'm already positive that the only thing I can do is take a semester off and maybe take some summer classes to make up for it. I just know I'll probably be at school longer than most because of the DCP and I've accepted that. I've heard it's better to do the DCP while you're in school because it gets your foot in the door and allows you the opportunity for a PI (you can't really do a PI if you do it after college), which I also really want to do. I wish you the best of luck with the online classes and making up the credits! :thumbsup2

Yay for Northeastern peoples! It has been way too cold here, but I can only imagine how much of a refresher it is to be in the positive digits. And the soundtrack to your drive down to Florida is literally what I listen to on the daily (#broadwayislife) and I totally agree, Into The Woods is AMAZING! I'm also so glad I'm not the only who still loves some Brit Brit.

Can't wait to read about the rest of your journey to Florida! :mickeyjum

Looking forward to reading more.

Yes, the Into the Woods soundtrack is awesome! Both my daughters (13 years old and 9) have it memorized at this point! And we only saw the movie last week.

Great start. It sounds like you had a good drive down.
I don't quite understand why you can't get credit for the classes you take down there.
Can't wait to read more.
Liz

When I did the DCP, I just went to my university's internship department and registered through them. I didn't get any type of credit at all but was able to get it in the system that I WAS still a student and could defer my scholarships for when I returned. If I read it right, you said you were going to be taking 4 classes plus a Disney class? Just so you know you may only get one or two days off a week and one of those days will include your Disney class, either in the morning or in the afternoon. If you have the choice, morning is the better option.

Funny you mention the fireworks stores. I live in NC now but am originally from TN in an area known as "Little Vegas". It is named this due to the number of fireworks stores off of our interstate exits that are lit up by neon lights. I actually worked at one that is open 24/7/365. That was a fun fact that others on my DCP found hilarious. lol:rotfl2:

Wow, your process and experience sounds very similar to my daughters. The only difference is a hospitality major and they still don't recognize the program in any way. She is also ahead in credits so wasn't really worried about taking a semester off but decided to take a one credit online class through her school so she would not have to withdraw and reapply to school. Didn't want that hassle!! She did not get her first choice either but instead go a Role that she has lots of experience in FSFB - full service food and beverage. She also did the same as you for room mates through Facebook and one of the girls wants to document everything so she will be filling out the dorm request as soon as they get it. Their check in date is 1/26.

Though I am well past the time to do DCP, I found a lot of the info you provided super interesting. I had NO idea alot of students don't even receive credit for it!

Loving all your travel photos! You and your mom seemed to have fun!

Wow Grace, this really did happen so fast (though I imagine at the time it didn't feel like it). Of all the emails to receive, one starting "Congratulations" has to be at the top. :goodvibes

Facebook seems so helpful in connecting with other DCP'ers. I've heard this so much.

I really do not understand the issue with getting some form of credit from the program. I know all schools are different, but I went to University for a business degree, yet I still had to take "electives" like Phychology or English or even Religious Studies, none of which had anything to do with my program. The whole point of "higher education" in my opinion is to develop a well rounded person, and I think DCP fits that to a "T". I just don't get it. Regardless, I think you'll get so much out of the program anyway, credits or not.

I will add that it appears you picked a fantastic time to move to Florida since pretty much everywhere is deep freeze. Oy it's cold.

SOUTH OF THE BORDER!!!!! :love: Oh my does that bring back memories of Florida drives when I was a kid. Actually stayed there for a night. Wow.

Haha, our Walmart actually sells fireworks.

I know it really did happen so quickly! For me it was only a week long process! I don't understand colleges, it's so silly, the restrictions and requirements are ridiculous but what can you do!

I know it was the perfect time to escape the cold front and drive right into the warmth! Really?! South of the Border look very interesting haha! We just drove by, but even from the outside it's quite the structure! I can't believe your WALMART SELLS FIREWORKS! Like what?!

Sounds like you had a fun drive! Very cool that you got to meet up with your friend and try Paula Deen's restaurant. Those lacy place mats are exactly what I would picture at her restaurant. :rotfl2: Can't wait to hear more.

It was a very fun drive!

That's so awesome Disney finally has a system for apartment assignments! I heard so many stressful stories about people having to show up with their roommates on registration day super early in the morning. Glad that's one less thing I'll have to worry about!

Ugghhh, it bothers me so much how schools don't accept DCP credits. I go to a similar school (small liberal arts college) and I'm already positive that the only thing I can do is take a semester off and maybe take some summer classes to make up for it. I just know I'll probably be at school longer than most because of the DCP and I've accepted that. I've heard it's better to do the DCP while you're in school because it gets your foot in the door and allows you the opportunity for a PI (you can't really do a PI if you do it after college), which I also really want to do. I wish you the best of luck with the online classes and making up the credits! :thumbsup2

Yay for Northeastern peoples! It has been way too cold here, but I can only imagine how much of a refresher it is to be in the positive digits. And the soundtrack to your drive down to Florida is literally what I listen to on the daily (#broadwayislife) and I totally agree, Into The Woods is AMAZING! I'm also so glad I'm not the only who still loves some Brit Brit.

Can't wait to read about the rest of your journey to Florida! :mickeyjum

YES the DORMS program is much better than getting in line at 4 AM! I opted to take online classes and stay a full time student at my school, I'm not sure if you have the opportunity to take online classes at your school but a lot of people I know are taking a couple classes from their school online to get credits!

Looks like a great start...can't wait to read more!

Thank you!

Great start!

Thanks!

Looking forward to reading more.

Yes, the Into the Woods soundtrack is awesome! Both my daughters (13 years old and 9) have it memorized at this point! And we only saw the movie last week.

Into the Woods is amazing! I know all the Cinderella and Little Red Songs and a most of the others! My mom and I went on Christmas day to see it!

Great start. It sounds like you had a good drive down.
I don't quite understand why you can't get credit for the classes you take down there.
Can't wait to read more.
Liz

Thanks for reading!

When I did the DCP, I just went to my university's internship department and registered through them. I didn't get any type of credit at all but was able to get it in the system that I WAS still a student and could defer my scholarships for when I returned. If I read it right, you said you were going to be taking 4 classes plus a Disney class? Just so you know you may only get one or two days off a week and one of those days will include your Disney class, either in the morning or in the afternoon. If you have the choice, morning is the better option.

Funny you mention the fireworks stores. I live in NC now but am originally from TN in an area known as "Little Vegas". It is named this due to the number of fireworks stores off of our interstate exits that are lit up by neon lights. I actually worked at one that is open 24/7/365. That was a fun fact that others on my DCP found hilarious. lol:rotfl2:

That's so funny, we seriously like don't have fireworks anywhere near us!

Following! How exciting!

Thanks for joining!

Wow, your process and experience sounds very similar to my daughters. The only difference is a hospitality major and they still don't recognize the program in any way. She is also ahead in credits so wasn't really worried about taking a semester off but decided to take a one credit online class through her school so she would not have to withdraw and reapply to school. Didn't want that hassle!! She did not get her first choice either but instead go a Role that she has lots of experience in FSFB - full service food and beverage. She also did the same as you for room mates through Facebook and one of the girls wants to document everything so she will be filling out the dorm request as soon as they get it. Their check in date is 1/26.

That's crazy! I hope she has a great check in!

Though I am well past the time to do DCP, I found a lot of the info you provided super interesting. I had NO idea alot of students don't even receive credit for it!

Loving all your travel photos! You and your mom seemed to have fun!

I had no idea that schools were so difficult to get credits from either! Until it was me! Haha! Thanks!

Joining too! It's so cold in mass it's nice to hear about some warmer temps. I never did the dcp but I think my college made it tough to get credit too.

You know it's bad when 9 degrees feels warm compared to our frigid New England temps! ;)

Great start, can't wait to read more! Do you know where you will be working yet?? I hope you have a great first week of your program! I remember mine like it was yesterday, I would go back and do it again in a heartbeat if I could!! By far the best experience of my life!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter