disney grand california sale start 1-25-09 for founding members

No. The max allocation values are basically a yearly average. If DVC were to make the points flat such that every night of the year cost the same amount, THAT is what you would be paying per night.

The top of the Maximum Reallocation Chart states: With respect to each DVC Resort, each Club Member will always be eligible to reserve at least one (1) Use Day in the different Vacation Home types at his or her Home Resort, subject to availablity, for the following number of Home Vacation Points

So I read that as, at VGC, a studio has to have at least one season/booking category that is no greater than 21 points. Right now, a studio in the lowest season is 15pts. They couldn't reallocated points to raise the lowest season & booking category above 21pt. GV is 83pts. They couldn't raise it to be higher than 139pts.

I think that is different than just an average, correct?

If it helps any, AKV was worse....much, much worse. Small consolation, I know. :sad2:

Really? Wow, that surprises me. I wasn't following DVC until BLT came into the picture. Just curious- how was AKV worse???

Really? Wow, that surprises me. I wasn't following DVC until BLT came into the picture. Just curious- how was AKV worse???

In many ways it was the same as VGC. Information was slow in getting out. There was a lot of confusion among members and Guides. But the situation was compounded by at least two factors:

1. There were a LOT more people interested in AKV than VGC. The VGC Founding Member program has a lot to do with there. There are only a couple thousand people who can buy VGC now while there may have been 10x as many interested in AKV. Even if they weren't immediate buyers, a lot wanted to see point charts, dues, floorplans, prices, etc.

2. The "Founding Member" designation for AKV was more of a sales incentive than what VGC owners know it as. I believe only the first 250 people to buy AKV were promised they would get their name on a tapestry which would hang in the lobby, and they were to receive a small replica of the tapestry. Due to the small number who could participate, there was a mad rush from folks who didn't want to miss out. And again details were sorely lacking. People were desperate to get firm answers to the questions above (points, dues, etc.) while not missing out on the tapestry.

And it sort of got worse over time as details on the tapestry emerged. After a couple of months people were informed they would only get 12 characters total to personalize.

And nearly 2 years later the lobby tapestry was changed to a robe and the mini-tapestry a framed African necklace. (This didn't contribute to the initial frustration, but it still a sore point to many of those Founding Members.)

AKV was the first new resort roll-out under Jim Lewis so I guess some bumps were to be expected. BLT was much, MUCH better, but now VGC seems to be a step backward.

Still it seems like the California Guides are well-versed in VGC info now, and DVC has printed materials to send out to those interested. So overall I'd have to say it's a slight improvement over AKV. Guides were sort of left hanging between the Dec 24th mailer to Founding Members and the Jan 25 sales start date, but once sales began I think they were pretty much on the right track.

Still it seems like the California Guides are well-versed in VGC info now, and DVC has printed materials to send out to those interested. So overall I'd have to say it's a slight improvement over AKV. Guides were sort of left hanging between the Dec 24th mailer to Founding Members and the Jan 25 sales start date, but once sales began I think they were pretty much on the right track.

actually, it is somewhat worse, because they keep changing the incentives. First it was developer points that could be used for SSR/Disneyland hotels and RCI exchanges. ONE WEEK LATER--after people had changed their positions (like me) based on the DP (I canceled some reservations for March/April to re-book at SSR to use up the DP) they suddenly came up with the cruise incentive. Now I would rather (and am) taking the cruise incentive but in the meantime my Boardwalk reservation is gone and can't be retrieved. The only reason I was booking a 2-bedroom in March/April was to use the developer points--which now I wouldn't have, even buying 500 points. (Keep in mind--you get the 7 day cruise for only 200 points.) I am so annoyed that I have decided to cut back to 220 points (so I also get annual passes) for now. I'll take my chances on getting the rest of the points later when they open sales to the regular membership and take what incentive is then available. So I disagree that the Calif. guides are well-versed. Also, the info on the cruise incentive is pretty sparse and is still coming in (regarding upgrade opportunities, dates, etc.)

I think that is different than just an average, correct?

If my math is correct that's true, it is NOT an average for at least some of the properties. I put together a spreadsheet counting the number of weekdays and weekend days in each room type and then multiplied that by the per night point cost. When I crunched that out from the unofficial 2010 charts for a VGC studio, I got 8,552 for the year, which the averages 23.43 points / night. 1 BR: 17031 / 47, 2 BR: 23330 / 64, and GV 48917 / 134.

Similarly, off the 2009 chart a BLT MK view was 8699 for the year and 23.83 / night, LV was 7309 / 20.02, and SV was 6430 / 17.61. I didn't average the room types together to get a "all studios" values because I wasn't sure of the exact breakdown between view classes, but if standard view is higher than the minimum that proves to me the minimum can't be a straight average. I also crunched the 2010 BLT chart and got CLOSE to the same numbers. 8697 / year (down 2) for MK studio, 7321 (up 12) for LV, and 6458 (up 28) for SV. When I rounded the per nights were identical. So, I'm thinking the average across all studios also matches up, at least to the nearest whole point per night. BLT's MK view 1BR, 2BR, and GVs followed about the same trends for 2009 vs. 2010; I didn't crunch the SV or LV for those size rooms but I expect more of the same. I should also note that 2009 had 261 weeknights (Sun-Thurs) and 104 weekend nights (Fri/Sat), but 2010 has 260 & 105, so I think that also helps account for the discrepancy in the totals. However, I thought the total points in a year was ALWAYS supposed to be the SAME so that did surprise me a little, but since the rounded per night is maybe that's what they go by :confused3 ...

Anyway, a SSR (from the 2009 chart) is 5869 for the year or just over 16 / night, which I think I read elsewhere IS their publish max. (re?) allocation. So for them it MIGHT be an average...

For whatever the above is worth! :upsidedow

actually, it is somewhat worse, because they keep changing the incentives. First it was developer points that could be used for SSR/Disneyland hotels and RCI exchanges. ONE WEEK LATER--after people had changed their positions (like me) based on the DP (I canceled some reservations for March/April to re-book at SSR to use up the DP) they suddenly came up with the cruise incentive. Now I would rather (and am) taking the cruise incentive but in the meantime my Boardwalk reservation is gone and can't be retrieved. The only reason I was booking a 2-bedroom in March/April was to use the developer points--which now I wouldn't have, even buying 500 points. (Keep in mind--you get the 7 day cruise for only 200 points.) I am so annoyed that I have decided to cut back to 220 points (so I also get annual passes) for now. I'll take my chances on getting the rest of the points later when they open sales to the regular membership and take what incentive is then available. So I disagree that the Calif. guides are well-versed. Also, the info on the cruise incentive is pretty sparse and is still coming in (regarding upgrade opportunities, dates, etc.)

I would have to agree that the Guides don't seem to have much guidance from upstairs. I think that for the most part they are doing the best they can with what they have been given. The problem is lack of leadership and a poor game plan IMHO.

I would have to agree that the Guides don't seem to have much guidance from upstairs. I think that for the most part they are doing the best they can with what they have been given. The problem is lack of leadership and a poor game plan IMHO.

Absolutely agree--the guides are doing the best they can. What I don't understand is that the "powers that be" have had how many years to make some decisions about VGC? but yet it "feels" like they are flying by the seat of their pants!

There's enough room to spread blame around.

I don't expect Guides to know about every single change within a few hours of it being announced. A perfect example is the BLT 25-pt add-on. It took 2-3 days for that information to make the rounds. And that's reasonable, IMO. Guides have different days off, scheduled appointments to meet, read their email on different schedules, etc.

I've worked with a lot of salespeople over the years and they tend to not excel in orgizational skills. That's not to say that they are bad at their jobs, but not everyone excels in all areas. ;)

DVC has the means to update their sales staff and they use it. Yes things were changing frequently when VGC sales began but if all of us can keep it straight, the sales Guides should be able to as well. :goodvibes

Once policies or promotions are publicly known, 48-72 hours of conflicting info is somewhat understandable. DVC is not a Monday - Friday, 9-5 operation. Between staggered work schedules and people reading memos/emails when they get a chance, it can take time for the info to circulate. Beyond that, I think it's sloppiness on a Guide's part. There's no reason for confusion to persist that long.

Absolutely agree--the guides are doing the best they can. What I don't understand is that the "powers that be" have had how many years to make some decisions about VGC? but yet it "feels" like they are flying by the seat of their pants!

And now that the minimum has been changed from 100 to 25 pts? I think you can say it IS flying by the seat of their pants.

And now that the minimum has been changed from 100 to 25 pts? I think you can say it IS flying by the seat of their pants.

No kidding - or they are just adjusting to demand as they go along. Honestly I feel that in principle I should be FURIOUS about being "forced" to buy 100 points. But since I'm secretly glad to have the extra points I guess I'll let it go. I hate it when they win! This explains why they were willing to break up contracts into denominations smaller than 100.

P.S. It had better NOT get out to DH that we could have bought less than 100.

No kidding - or they are just adjusting to demand as they go along. Honestly I feel that in principle I should be FURIOUS about being "forced" to buy 100 points. But since I'm secretly glad to have the extra points I guess I'll let it go. I hate it when they win! This explains why they were willing to break up contracts into denominations smaller than 100.

P.S. It had better NOT get out to DH that we could have bought less than 100.

Yes, I am torn over what I'm feeling too. I am glad that they brought it back down to 25 pts, but what they did to the first founding members.......it's just ridiculous. :sad2: .

But your DH won't hear about it from any of us! ;)

Sorry to jump to this party late but am I hearing correctly that they have lowered the minimum purchase a VGC to 25 points from 100???? So you can just buy 25 and that's it? I know BLT just changed but did CA too?

Thanks! Katherine

Sorry to jump to this party late but am I hearing correctly that they have lowered the minimum purchase a VGC to 25 points from 100???? So you can just buy 25 and that's it? I know BLT just changed but did CA too?

Thanks! Katherine

Yes, that is correct. A couple of others reported the information confirmed and I also confirmed with my guide. It's back to a minimum 25 pts for all resorts, including VGC.

Yes, that is correct. A couple of others reported the information confirmed and I also confirmed with my guide. It's back to a minimum 25 pts for all resorts, including VGC.

Apparently a memo went out in the last couple of days to the guides regarding reverting back to the 25 pt min for cash / 50 pt min for financing for ALL resorts... anyone adding on at those levels would just forego the incentives. That's what my guide shared with me yesterday in a very lengthy conversation I had with her.

The only reason I was booking a 2-bedroom in March/April was to use the developer points--which now I wouldn't have, even buying 500 points. (Keep in mind--you get the 7 day cruise for only 200 points.) I am so annoyed that I have decided to cut back to 220 points (so I also get annual passes) for now. I'll take my chances on getting the rest of the points later when they open sales to the regular membership and take what incentive is then available.
I was wondering what was going to happen incentive-wise with you switching over to the cruise.... I'm wondering if you can do an add on now for the rest of your points, only take the DPs ;) (And get another set of APes?) :)

It's about time they dropped that stupid 100 point minimum. Not that it mattered personally to me (cuz I always wanted at least 200) but it is nice that those who just needed a few points can join in our little club. Welcome home all of you small contracts! :thumbsup2

It's about time they dropped that stupid 100 point minimum. Not that it mattered personally to me (cuz I always wanted at least 200) but it is nice that those who just needed a few points can join in our little club. Welcome home all of you small contracts! :thumbsup2

The minimum to purchase just to get into DVC is still 160, right? It's only for add ons that it's 25? I am so confused with all these changes!

K

The minimum to purchase just to get into DVC is still 160, right? It's only for add ons that it's 25? I am so confused with all these changes!

K

Yes, the minimum purchase remains 160 pts for a NEW member... it is the add-ons for EXISTING members that have been revised back to what they used to be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter