Disney News, Discussion & an Element of Fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a quick look and ouch on those rates! I remember choking at having to pay rack rate fall 2019 at 250 a night. Now it’s near $400 for a similar time frame. I love POFQ, but I don’t love it $400 a night.

Hopefully by the time we return they will have had to put out some decent discounts.

I remember paying $399/night for GF back in 2009 when they were doing the buy 3 nights, get 2 free promo and feeling like that was CRAZY. And now I sit here in 2021 willing to pay rack rate for GF CL... :crazy2: I think I've done lost my mind.

I took a quick look and ouch on those rates! I remember choking at having to pay rack rate fall 2019 at 250 a night. Now it’s near $400 for a similar time frame. I love POFQ, but I don’t love it $400 a night.

Hopefully by the time we return they will have had to put out some decent discounts.

The rates are insane, just like everything else Disney related. My boys’ high school marching band will be performing in Disney in mid-April and I just went to price out a room at POR for me and DH. With tax it’s almost $400+ a night. It really has me considering renting DVC points again, even though I said I’d never do that again since I learned the risk involved due to Covid. I’m just going to sit tight and see if a discount is released, although I’m not really hopeful that will happen either.

...I don't want to admit that Disney has priced us out of our yearly trips but that's where my heart is. We've made an annual trip possible for cheap and have helped a lot of other middle classers in our tiny midwestern town do the same. I kind of pride myself on showing friends and family that Disney doesn't have to be this once in a lifetime bucket list extravagantly expensive trip.
I feel the same way. We always had cheap annual trips, and I loved showing other people how that was possible. We started skipping annual trips and going every other year before the pandemic, but these changes make it hard to go back annually (or to recommend Disney to others).

I remember paying $399/night for GF back in 2009 when they were doing the buy 3 nights, get 2 free promo and feeling like that was CRAZY. And now I sit here in 2021 willing to pay rack rate for GF CL... :crazy2: I think I've done lost my mind.
In 2009, we paid $149 pre-tax for AKL!

Edited to add booking info:
Resort Name:Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Resort Category:Deluxe Resorts
Room TypeStandard View
mail
Package Type:Room Only
Special Rate Type:Oct - Dec Room Only

Check-In: 12/09/2009, Check-out: 12/10/2009
DateRate per Night
Wed, Dec 09$149.00

Last edited:
I have typically liked to stay onsite as there are numerous benefits including transportation, proximity, Disney Bubble, ADRs, early FP, EMH, etc. For our current trip, it is harder to justify it as currently the last three items don't apply before October, and yet the prices seem to be continuing to increase. Since they are having no problem booking the rooms, it appears the decreased capacity of not having the final resorts opening until October is offsetting any impact (if there is one) of decreased perks. It is harder and harder to justify to myself staying onsite. I think that eventually the impact of the FP will either drive the demand up or down for current rooms and Disney will have to adjust. For example, if Fast Pass is just not coming back at all before 10/1, I would not be shocked to see some reservations starting to get dumped back into the system and Disney will then be scrambling to fill them through discount sites. If they announce a paid system starting soon that has free fast passes for resorts, I could see an increase in demand and every room will fill-up at increased pricing. So much unknown is tied to no news on the FastPass system.

I guess another Disney strategy is wait until it is close enough to October 1st to announce anything and make people with packages lock in before telling them there will be no fast pass. Just go silent and let the problem resolve itself. :(

I fully expect rates to be better and more discounts in 2022. We are in a little mini travel boom right now that really isn’t going to last that long or be sustainable because it’s mostly made up from people with extra vacation days that were allowed to carry over into this year plus people that didn’t have income loss but then save money on vacations last year have extra to spend right now so that’s gonna eventually shake back out be back to more normal if not worst.

I fully expect rates to be better and more discounts in 2022. We are in a little mini travel boom right now that really isn’t going to last that long or be sustainable because it’s mostly made up from people with extra vacation days that were allowed to carry over into this year plus people that didn’t have income loss but then save money on vacations last year have extra to spend right now so that’s gonna eventually shake back out be back to more normal if not worst.

This plus it being the start of the 50th celebration is a solid 1, 2 punch for the rates.

Our room is $303 (pre-tax) for garden view POFQ in Dec. It was less than the CBR room we had. Sadly, all of the rates are high and not likely to drop soon.

I just booked POFQ the last week of April for a similar price ($315 water view, 5 nights). I have an existing booking for AKL pool view for four nights that same week. Switching from 4 nights and AKL to five at POFQ would save me about $700.

Still can’t pull the trigger and cancel AKL though. At the rate resort perks are changing, it seems smart to hold onto both the deluxe and the mod until we know what the new FP and extra evening hours actually look like for different resort tiers. Come on Disney and give us some details!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter