Disney Vacation Club adjusts 2010 Vacation Points charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im kinda upset too. We could get SOOOO much out of our 160 points doing Sun-Thurs stays. Since the weekly point values are the same---this doesnt help me at all. Thank god we didnt buy a small 60 point contract thinking we could do Sun-Thurs stay almost any time of year. Id be SO mad if that happened. ......

Wow this is a lot more than just a weekday /weekend realignment, they have realigned the rooms sizes increasing the 2br and reducing the 1br and realigned the seasons raising the dream season and lowering adventure and choice.

Of course most of my reservations are 2br weekday dream season. Looks like about 40 more points per vacation.

For BW owners it looks like a part of the standard discount is gone for weekdays.
For some grand villas the weekday/weekend ratio actually went the other way.

Looks like some standard/savanna allocation shifts also

Anyone remember where the list of how many of each type of unit is in each resort.
I have an spread sheet I did for BLT which calculates the total points for each resort, I would like to check and make sure none of the total points in any resort changed.

bookwormde

Poor Bill! I just had a nice meet with him, his wife and brother, and we were discussing how each change means a LOT of extra work for him.

I guess I don't see this as a huge difference, since it will mostly mean that folks will "reallocate" how they vaction to catch up to new point charts. If weekends are now less and some week night are now more, folks will start arriving and departing differently to take advantage. Well, except for those of us who book by the week and look at it by the week....Things wont change as much for us. I'm speaking blindly though, since we are currently at Disney, and I haven't been able to compare the point charts from '09-'10.

Since I haven't joined, yet, would someone be able to post the 2010 points for BLT (adventure season, MK view for studio and 1 bedroom)? I can't find them anywhere and, obviously, don't have member access yet. It would be greatly appreciated. My potential contract was based on exact point counts that, I'm sure, are now incorrect. Thanks.

I was also wondering if someone could post the new points. We just bought at BLT today and I figured out points off a chart I found online. Now I'm wondering if we bought enough for the trips we will be taking. (we haven't signed the contract yet)

Thanks!

All of this stuff they've been doing the last 2-3 years has zero to do with improving the membership experience. It is 100% about maximizing DVC profits and Jim Lewis' bonus.

In the long term, I think all these changes are a bad idea, because they make DVC a very unstable and unreliable vacation choice. These decisions are a classic example of something that is good for an organization short-term, but bad in a strategic sense.

I would not recommend that anyone buy DVC today, because who knows what it will be tomorrow.

Just sent the following to DVC:
My Letter said:
Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in regards to the 2010 points adjustments made.

Upon reading a non Disney owned web forum, I was alarmed that there was a note that the 2010 point charts were released and that there were major changes at all of the resorts.

I was alarmed for two reasons, one I did not receive notification of this change and two, this change has a significant impact on my travels.

When I purchased my ownership interest in Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) in September, we walked through the purchase needs to ensure we were able to stay in Value Season (our preferred travel season) for one week in a Savannah view room. Our guide walked us through the point requirements, advising that we would need 205 points to satisfy our requirement.

Although our home resort was not yet finished, we decided to purchase our interest and closed in the end of September. As we start 2009, our first allotment of points were credited to our account but could not use prior to the opening of Kidani Village.

Based on my review of the announcement made on the website, DVC has stated “To make this change possible, Vacation Point requirements for some instances of Sunday-Thursday stays are now higher. However, a full week's stay will essentially cost the same amount of Vacation Points as before.” This statement is misleading, because it is not true in our case. For one week, in value season, in a one bedroom Savannah view room, our point requirements are now 206. Although on paper it doesn’t seem significant, it represents a huge problem in the fact that we are now one point short of our required number of points to stay one week every year.

I am writing this ahead of having the opportunity to speak to member services, my guide and an official letter to DVC, so please understand this is a large disappointment. Disney has recently made some major changes to the DVC offering, including changing their contract from II to RCI, increasing the minimum add-on point requirements and increasing the prices of AKV.

I understand the need to react to member interests, but in this case, it appears ALL member interests were not taken into consideration, and the impact of those utilizing full week stays and purchasing the number of points to achieve this.

I am hoping an fair and equitable option to help members adjust to this situation is being considering, including offering options to add smaller than the normal minimum number of points to adjust to this change.

As a new member, I have been excited and both disheartened by the recent changes, often seeing that although DVC states it is Disney’s “Best kept secret” that this best kept secret is not always the good secret everyone wants to hear, rather it is the one everyone is afraid to find out about.

Sincerely,

Joseph Lewis
Animal Kingdom Kidani Member

I recommend if you are unhappy with the change, communicate with DVC, your guide, etc. This doesn't mean yell at your guide, they didn't make the change, but they are somewhat the ears of DVC, and if they are getting complaints, DVC will hear about them.

"To help address a growing Member interest in weekend stays at Disney Vacation Club Resorts, Disney Vacation Club has adjusted 2010 Vacation Points charts, reducing Vacation Point requirements for Friday and Saturday nights".

Hog wash. Why not be honest, do they think that we are idiots?

What they really should have said:

We want more members to stay on Fridays and Saturdays so we are lowering the required points.

If you look in 2010 vs 2009 AKV all the savannah view weekly points went up by at least 2. I know its only 2 points but still. What if this happens like every other year. Im in this thing for like 50 years right? Pretty soon my desired savannah view will be out of reach! I know value rooms went down---because no one wants to stay in value! I may be over-reacting but I am calling my guide tomorrow. If they raised savannah view in one season they should have at least brought it down in the other seasons or something comparable....

Also...say I wanted to do a Sun-the FOLLOWING Wednesday...like a 10 day trip. While people used to do this to take advantage of lower weekday points...this really impacts our plans for that...

I bought 30 points at BLT before the small add ons were eliminated, in order to stay two nights every other January in a one bedroom lake view villa. I was going to buy exactly 27 points (the price on the 2009 chart), but I have been a member long enough, (since'92) to have seen point rearrangements before, and was afraid this might happen. I bought the thirty points just in case.

I feel very sorry for people who will find themselves a point or two short because of these changes.

Most of my points are at OKW and the increase from 22 to 26 point for a two bedroom villa in January, will make my five day stays 20 points more expensive. On the other hand, I will no longer be as afraid to schedule or extend my stays to include weekend days.

You win some. You lose some.;)

thanks Joseph..again just because its legal doesnt make it right...definitely disappointed in DVC...should i call my guide?

I guess I don't see this as a huge difference, since it will mostly mean that folks will "reallocate" how they vaction to catch up to new point charts. If weekends are now less and some week night are now more, folks will start arriving and departing differently to take advantage. Well, except for those of us who book by the week and look at it by the week.....
That's what I figured--until I looked. :crazy2: It throws off everything for us by 1 pt on each vacation. We're short one point for Adventure season and we have an extra point for BLT in magic.
It will require us to call MS at least 2x for each vacation during those times, and maybe having to be waitlisted all because we based our purchase price on a "weekly" number of points. We figured weekly, we were safe.

is that letter true about 205 now being 206 points. Id be so mad. Id make my guide let me spend the 104 dollars or whatever and get that extra point so my year vacations werent messed up.

Yea I am beginning to feel like I bought into Wyndham Fairfield not DVC. Makes me wonder what is coming, can’t imagine this is going to help resale prices, Uncertainty always hurts a market

bookwormde

Wow! This really stinks! I just booked my AKV stay for 2009 and STRATEGICALLY left 96 points at VWL for the 2010 UY. I was planning to stay Sun-Fri at VWL during Spring Break in 2010 for a total of 95 points ... the same stay is now going to cost 105 points and I can't do it! Of course, the total number of points for the entire week has gone down 5 points for a studio, but it doesn't help us much with our 100 point contract.

So much for Disney's sales presentation where they help you decide how many points to purchase by looking at the points chart.:sad2:

Boo Hiss, Disney!!!

At the very least, I feel like they could have warned us before members were able to start borrowing from 2010 use years. I borrowed the points 4 days ago ... I could have easily shortened our stay to 6 nights or picked a different room type for the first night if I knew I wouldn't be left with enough 2010 points to cover our planned stay. When you have very few points, you plan each one CAREFULLY!

Did anyone save the pdf and can post the new point charts? Must be heavy traffic trying to view them and the site keeps looping back to the log-in screen.

Thanks in advance,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter