Disney Vacation Club adjusts 2010 Vacation Points charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this stuff they've been doing the last 2-3 years has zero to do with improving the membership experience. It is 100% about maximizing DVC profits and Jim Lewis' bonus.

In the long term, I think all these changes are a bad idea, because they make DVC a very unstable and unreliable vacation choice. These decisions are a classic example of something that is good for an organization short-term, but bad in a strategic sense.

I would not recommend that anyone buy DVC today, because who knows what it will be tomorrow.

I'd say less about profits and more with cutting expenses. I'm sure that this will spread out housekeeping costs (and probably reduce some of the complaints about some people not getting into their rooms by 4 pm, thereby making the member satisfaction people look better). Probably less room turnover too (those who might check out just for the weekend then check back in), which also cuts costs.

Not to say I like it or anything......

I got to the page showing the 2009 and 2010 lists, but every time I click on a link to see an actual points chart it takes me to an advertisement page for DVC. (And yes, I had logged in.)

Edited to add: It only does this on the 2010 links--the 2009 links work just fine.

If you look in 2010 vs 2009 AKV all the savannah view weekly points went up by at least 2. I know its only 2 points but still. What if this happens like every other year. Im in this thing for like 50 years right? Pretty soon my desired savannah view will be out of reach! I know value rooms went down---because no one wants to stay in value! I may be over-reacting but I am calling my guide tomorrow. If they raised savannah view in one season they should have at least brought it down in the other seasons or something comparable....

Point allocation is NOT inflation when one day goes up by a point, another must drop down. There are a fixed number of points sold. DVC doesn't create more out of thin air. Please read Lynne M's quote:

It may or may not seem fair, but it's allowable under the contract. Your guide may have not have explained it clearly, but the TOTAL NUMBER of points for a resort is fixed. Per-night points are not. In other words, if they decrease the point requirements for certain days, dates, villa types, etc, they must increase point requirements for some other day, date, or villa type, so that it balances out - so that the total number of points remains the same.

But, regardless of what your guide said, it's explained in the contract.

For some people, this will be a bad thing. For others (like me), it's great. It means I can do more Fri-Sat stays, which means I can use fewer vacation days. Sorry that it didn't work out well for you.

... and I agree that it's a good thing. I want to stay over the weekend. I have kids in school and it's the only way it makes sense for us.

ETA: My guide clearly explained the shifting of points to me - I'm sure they've all been trained on how to present it, but some folk are better than others at explaining. I will agree that when determining how many points to initially buy DVC has told their reps to have us pick the vacation we'd like to have every year and buy enough points to civer that... and they do push full weeks. This approach may make those who buy just enough to cover S-Th stays feel like they've been duped. Not so. It's just when figuring your points required for your stay, you forgot to take into account that they may shift up or down.

The points charts are all messed up over there, you can't pull them up.
I really think this stinks..... I book Sunday through the follwowing Wednesday as well and this will throw a wrench in the works. Not to mention my husband is gonna have a fit- they lead you to believe the points don't change and they do. Wow - disappointed

As tvwalsh mentioned, this is not the first re-allocation of points to happen. Although previous re-allocations did not affect every resort. In 1996 at OKW, studio points in Adventure season went from 69 to 80 points per week, which really had an effect on us at the time.

Also, points were re-allocated at BWV (before very many points were sold) to create the multiple booking categories we see there today.

I know it comes as a shock to newer members, but we "oldsters" have been through this, and know it is possible at anytime. It is part of your contract. If your guide mis-informed you that points can never change, you need to speak with that guide. Even in 1992, when we purchased, our guide informed us of this possibility...and there was only one DVC resort at the time. The Disney Vacation Club Resort, since renamed OKW. It is still "The Disney Vacation Club Resort" in legal documents.

There is really never any pre-announcement of point re-allocations, they "just happen"

Because we live close enough to make three-night weekend trips attractive - this could have potentially been an okay switch - IF they had equalized points across the 7 nights. Weekends are still almost double weekdays - which does not make them any more attractive.

Why DVC would take away the low Sun-Thurs stays and negate the choice for members to use points "economically" - especially during tough economic times - makes no sense.

Lets see - CRO guests get buy 4 get three nights free, a 200 gift card, free dining - and DVC members get their only "bargain" option erased. Yuck.

This will end up resulting in less nights per trip for us - as we always did 12 nights in a row - taking advantage of only paying one weekend. Makes buying the AP and adding extra trips less attractive as well.

Point allocation is NOT inflation when one day goes up by a point, another must drop down. There are a fixed number of points sold. DVC doesn't create more out of thin air. Please read Lynne M's quote:

... and I agree that it's a good thing. I want to stay over the weekend. I have kids in school and it's the only way it makes sense for us.

I know. I said the values went down. But no one wants to stay in a value they want to stay Savanna view! Im just saying. This doesnt help the following people: those we stay one week, because the point values are the same for the week total (and in some cases went up for the popular views), those who stay weekdays, and those who do 10 day or so vacations because the weekdays went up. This only helps those who do like Thurs-Sun.

My Product Understanding Checklist given to me at purchase closing reads: "The total number of Vacation Points required to use all Vacation Homes during each calender year through January 31, 2042 can never increase. The can never increase is even in bold print. The first resort/room type I checked violates this with the reallocation. For example, 2009 OKW 2 BR total weekly pts for the year are 1414. 2010 OKW 2 BR total weekly pts for the year are 1415. I know its only 1 pt and f I am wrong please correct me but if not what's next?

None of the links on the DVC site work anymore. Not to the news story or the 2010 points charts. Hmmmmm.

The point charts quit working around 8pm ish. DH found it and it was the first thing out of his mouth when I got home from the Kempo/Costco run. He already had VB premier week point total down(up 3 for week). We figured the DIS'ers crashed the site.

He said the info was posted on another DVC mb a few days ago.

For example, 2009 OKW 2 BR total weekly pts for the year are 1414. 2010 OKW 2 BR total weekly pts for the year are 1415. I know its only 1 pt and f I am wrong please correct me but if not what's next?

I believe that you would need to add ALL size units for a resort for a year and the total point costs for using every room for the whole year at a given resort cannot change. I have not done the math to see if the new allocations follow the rule of not.

We book different sorts of stays, and for us, things do even out. I'm unhappy with some, like the BC weekdays that went up, but our Marathon weekend 2010 went down. If DVC units were not used on weekends that isn't good for members. I think you need close to 100% occupancy for everyone to be able to use their points.

Bobbi:)

It is part of your contract.

Yes, I understand that it IS part of the contract. Still, it stinks that they don't give any notice for planning purposes.

I think it is just a ploy to get owners with smaller contracts (planning to take advantage of the Sun-Thur points) to purchase additional points. I don't care what type of spin they try to place on it ... people purchased knowing that weekends cost more and, therefore, either planned to pay for weekends with points or planned to avoid weekends because of the points. Disney did not make these changes to benefit members ... like everything else, Disney did this to increase profit.

None of the links on the DVC site work anymore. Not to the news story or the 2010 points charts. Hmmmmm.

That's what I'm finding right now. The links don't seem to work. I have to say that this move would/will tick me off as well, since we scrupulously avoid using weekend points. That being said, I have thought that the point differential between the weekends and weekdays was often extreme -- especially at OKW. But I dealt with it the way it was, and bought in on that basis as well.

Well, I'm just going to go ahead and say it. It ticks me off. Yes, lots of times we booked the Sun-Thurs vacation, but that did not mean that Disney lost out. We usually booked a room on member cash or a moderate resort or even a deluxe for Fri. and Sat before and after so they were getting theirs, sometimes on both ends. ESPECIALLY now that they charge more for the retail weekends! So my DH and I are joking that now we will just book DVC F-TU or something and then do retail Wed and Thurs. Shoot, that might be cheaper!:confused3

So I read someones post that they saved or printed the PDF of the new point chart. . .you want to scan them in for us all? :)
Pretty Please!!!!
-Becca

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter