• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Sorry if this has been asked before, but as an east-coaster I specifically booked my DL trip for December to see HM Holiday and It's A Small World with all the lights, what are we thinking about overlays if the parks re-open?
Regarding holiday decorations in general (because DLR doesn't even know if the parks will be open!), see below from the DLR Reopening Superthread on the main board:

Regarding the holiday decorations in DTD and in the parks:
https://insidethemagic.net/2020/09/...ail&utm_term=0_a98380eccc-a5101c9f1b-96199085
"This is what Disneyland Guest Services had to say–
Downtown Disney will receive Christmas Decorations this year, and both parks will receive Christmas decorations no matter how late into the season they open, if they open, for sure."

Fwiw Disney has extensive experience running buses during COVID as they’re running all over WDW. They will also need to run them for Cast anyway in CA so they will have to implement a COVID-safeish bus plan.

Whether or not they need to/want to pay to run them from TS? Who knows? I’d book a backup hotel closer if distance is an issue and you plan on using TS buses just to be safe.

I have a feeling they just won't open the TS lot. They won't really need it if they are reducing capacity by more than 50%. They still have that closer lot (Pumbaa?) they could use. That's a much shorter walk.

Fwiw Disney has extensive experience running buses during COVID as they’re running all over WDW. They will also need to run them for Cast anyway in CA so they will have to implement a COVID-safeish bus plan.

Whether or not they need to/want to pay to run them from TS? Who knows? I’d book a backup hotel closer if distance is an issue and you plan on using TS buses just to be safe.

I forgot about the WDW buses running.

Distance is a concern for me as I have a (slight) mobility impairment and I like to limit unnecessary walking from my Disney Days.

I usually park at M&F if I'm staying with family, but I'll worry about it when and if DL finally opens and my planning gets serious. OR maybe I'll use it as a good excuse to stay at the Grand!!!!

Distance is a concern for me as I have a (slight) mobility impairment and I like to limit unnecessary walking from my Disney Days.

I usually park at M&F if I'm staying with family, but I'll worry about it when and if DL finally opens and my planning gets serious. OR maybe I'll use it as a good excuse to stay at the Grand!!!!
Distance is a concern for some of my family members so I 100% get that (just moved hotels from Yacht Club to Riviera at WDW because of that actually- that’s why that example was at the top of my brain 😂)

At least at DLR if the budget fails to reach GCH levels Harbor has some great options close by too 😉

I'm going to be quite upset if TS is closed. I loathe parking at M&F and Pixar with a deep passion. Not a huge fan of Pumbaa either, but it's at least better than the structures and I don't hate it. Just not my favorite. I walk from TS some of the time too (when I have Riley since she can't go on the buses) so I wouldn't even mind no buses (I'm hoping anyone who needs mobility assistance Disney would find a way to accommodate). TS is just so much easier for me to get to from the direction I'm coming from when I drive in.

I think it would be better to use all lots to spread people out even more. I just really, really don't want to park at M&F or Pixar ever again :crazy2:

Also speaking of Riley, now I'm wondering if the kennel will even be open. It's usually only on our last day before driving home in the early afternoon that I kennel her for a few hours while we finish last minute shopping and treats, but that would definitely be something I need to consider when planning if it isn't open (assuming I could even get the reservation to cover the extra day).

the distance is a huge concern for me. My mom is 81 and we rent her a wheelchair when we go. She has a pass and goes several times a month too! There is no way she will be able to walk from the garage. hopefully they will have an option like the Mickey bus but it can’t really be used with people walking the route. Maybe a small rental place in the garage to get a wheelchair? I have done the walk from the garage on choc wLk days and it is a long walk. I can’t imagine doing it twice in a day.

I was thinking more about the Powerpoint presentation, but if you don't know what I am talking about then forget I said that - forbidden territory in this thread...
To clarify: stating a political fact which is related to DLR's reopening, i.e. on topic for this thread, is not "forbidden territory in this thread." People have been posting political facts which are on topic throughout the 200+ pages of this superthread. Where things go awry is when people post their opinions/interpretations of those political facts or preach/rant/vent/go off topic/etc. using those facts -- that is going against the Guidelines.

That seems odd. So where would they do the security screening? I guess it kind of makes sense to force people to walk so it spreads out arrivals more. I wonder if they will make everyone use the DtD screening? ...
I believe you could always just skip the security screen and walk in to downtown disney and get screened there. I imagine if you walk the tram route they would just screen you at downtown disney.
When we do CHOC Walk, all participants park at M&F or (last year) PP, go through bag check there, then walk the tram route to DTD and the esplanade. This sounds pretty much the same, only with benches and signage. And, if I remember correctly, there are vans that take those who cannot walk the tram route. So I assume that the special vans or an equivalent would be running for disabled guests when the parks reopen.

They likely won’t move security. What will probably happen is you will go through security at the parking structure like normal but inatead of boarding the tram you will then walk on to the tram route and then walk to the park. My guess is that they will have an area for exiting gusts to keep it enclosed when you hit the one exposed part at the structure.
This is what happens with CHOC Walk.

To clarify: stating a political fact which is related to DLR's reopening, i.e. on topic for this thread, is not "forbidden territory in this thread." People have been posting political facts which are on topic throughout the 200+ pages of this superthread. Where things go awry is when people post their opinions/interpretations of those political facts or preach/rant/vent/go off topic/etc. using those facts -- that is going against the Guidelines.
Thanks for the clarification (no really, I do appreciate it), but it would be hard to talk about the Powerpoint presentation I hinted at without getting into that territory, and it is far from the discussion about when DL/DCA will open. I did find it notable that the Gov. did not even show up to the press conference yesterday. Let's get real, they cherry pick the questions from the press - he doesn't get surprised by anything. If they really are in discussions with Disney/Universal, the least he could do is give us an update and no, "we are in discussions" is NOT an update! Otherwise, and you see it here, everyone gets very skeptical that the discussions are happening at all. It's not like he has to be anywhere in particular to make an appearance in the press conference - the front seat of a car using an iPhone in selfie mode would be better than not showing up at all.

Came across this in one of the DVC threads... 👀🕵🏼‍♀️

I'm back! I forgot to mention that my boss moonlights as a DLR CM and last week, some of his coworkers in custodial got called back. Yesterday, some info was disseminated to CMs regarding safety precautions once they get called back. Signs have been erected in the esplanade reminding guests about social distancing, self-parking kiosks also installed in one of the lots and signage in the tram area reminding guests that park reservations are required. Music emanating from DCA could also be heard from the esplanade and DCA signage above the turnstiles were also lit. Long story short, something is happening.

I had thought that would be the solution for cruise ships and possibly WDW. Once you are tested, as long as you don't leave the bubble, there is practically no risk. "Once you leave the bubble" would be the sticking point for DL/DCA - a very small % of people stay on property, and even those people are exposed to everyone in DtD who presumably would not be tested. Masks on a cruise ship would be a deal-breaker for me - but a quick test any time you re-board the ship? I could do that. I did masks in WDW - it's not a big deal. It would be nice to get the ride capacities back up and the show back open though if testing is the answer to that.

I had thought that would be the solution for cruise ships and possibly WDW. Once you are tested, as long as you don't leave the bubble, there is practically no risk. "Once you leave the bubble" would be the sticking point for DL/DCA - a very small % of people stay on property, and even those people are exposed to everyone in DtD who presumably would not be tested. Masks on a cruise ship would be a deal-breaker for me - but a quick test any time you re-board the ship? I could do that. I did masks in WDW - it's not a big deal. It would be nice to get the ride capacities back up and the show back open though if testing is the answer to that.

Rapid testing would work well in the theme parks, but on a multi day cruise trip, you'd have to test everyone every day. Those rapid tests can't pick up people in the early stage of the infection and may show a negative result, followed by a positive one a day or 2 later. Not sure how they would enforce daily testing on a cruise ship.

Rapid testing would work well in the theme parks, but on a multi day cruise trip, you'd have to test everyone every day. Those rapid tests can't pick up people in the early stage of the infection and may show a negative result, followed by a positive one a day or 2 later. Not sure how they would enforce daily testing on a cruise ship.
Wouldn't that be the same for theme parks? Not a doctor, but aren't you infectious on day 1?

Wouldn't that be the same for theme parks? Not a doctor, but aren't you infectious on day 1?

No, not really. You have to reach a certain viral threshold in order to be contagious. The current science says there is a 10 day window where you are capable of shedding active virus. You can have virus RNA in your system for weeks and weeks, though. This is what PCR tests pick up, which is why their usefulness as a screening tool is pretty terrible. The incubation period is up to 14 days, so that means it can take that long for the virus to build up to a point where you are able to infect others, and then you remain that way for another 10 days. This is the idea behind the 14 day self quarantine.

The rapid test will ping positive 99% of the time when the viral load reaches the threshold of transmissability, but if you take the test a day or 2 too early, you'll get a negative result. This is why these tests are designed for DAILY use.

So, in a theme park situation, if guests are tested before entry and test negative, they will not be able to infect others THAT DAY. But, on a cruise ship, people may test negative on boarding day, but then positive as the week goes on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter