Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

[Mod edit: This post is addressing a comment saying that the new guidelines don't make sense.]

Yep! They need to accept that the more things are closed, people will congregate indoors, which isn't safe. Especially as the colder months hit. At least have safe outdoor places like theme parks open. I get the concern with bringing in tons of people, but they have stated attendance will be capped, PLUS there will be reservations to get in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Las Vegas is back to the regular Sunday 10 mile back up of Californians returning home after a weekend of doing the "Viva Las Vegas" thing. I'm pretty sure there is far more of a spread from that crowd than what Disneyland would have. I just find the whole thing selective and odd. At some point, people have to be allowed to make their own decisions on how/when they will risk contracting COVID.
You can add National Parks to that list - they have never been busier. It really is counter-intuitive. CA is not forcing people to stay at home, but they are forcing a lot of people to work remotely - and that could be anywhere with a decent WiFi signal. Add to that kids are also in remote classes - there is absolutely nothing keeping people from travelling, and in fact they are far more inclined to do so, because CA has also taken away many of the things that keep us entertained. That's not just businesses like Disney and the movie theaters, that is also kids sports. How many of us would be spending every Saturday at a soccer field right now? That gets worse too; kids on club teams are travelling to AZ, NV and UT to play in tournaments there because they can't play in CA. Nope, there is no question in my mind; the restrictions in CA are making the spread worse, not better at this point.

You can add National Parks to that list - they have never been busier. It really is counter-intuitive. CA is not forcing people to stay at home, but they are forcing a lot of people to work remotely - and that could be anywhere with a decent WiFi signal. Add to that kids are also in remote classes - there is absolutely nothing keeping people from travelling, and in fact they are far more inclined to do so, because CA has also taken away many of the things that keep us entertained. That's not just businesses like Disney and the movie theaters, that is also kids sports. How many of us would be spending every Saturday at a soccer field right now? That gets worse too; kids on club teams are travelling to AZ, NV and UT to play in tournaments there because they can't play in CA. Nope, there is no question in my mind; the restrictions in CA are making the spread worse, not better at this point.

They are definitely showing up here in AZ. Last weekend, I was at Jersey Mike's (sandwich shop) picking up a sandwich to go and there was a mom & her teenage daughter in line in front of me...teenage daughter not wearing a mask at all whatsoever. They were from CA (CA license plates on their car). The kid was decked out in sports gear. Looked like she was on a soccer team or something like that. Another family they knew (also from CA) were also in line...same sports team.

And honestly, all I could think of at the time was "Take your unmasked self and drive back to CA! We don't want you here! Follow the rules! People like you are why Disneyland isn't allowed to reopen yet!"

Yep, Yep, and yep! Here in Southern Utah, we've spent the last 7 months hosting Californians. Am I salty about the fact that doesn't go both ways, and I can't spend Christmas at DL as I'd planned? Yes, yes I am.

Yep, Yep, and yep! Here in Southern Utah, we've spent the last 7 months hosting Californians. Am I salty about the fact that doesn't go both ways, and I can't spend Christmas at DL as I'd planned? Yes, yes I am.
Same in South Dakota. People traveled here from California this summer because nothing shut down and there is no mask mandate. Over and over we heard from Californians “oh it’s so nice to come here and just forget all about the pandemic stuff.” Not masking, not distancing...... I couldn’t help feeling like California was just passing the buck to everybody else by being so restrictive that their residents feel the need to exit en masse and completely ignore public health protocols. So frustrating!

On that note I am so glad the Universal park president made that point during the conference—that Californians ARE engaging in recreation, they are just traveling out of state to do it, spreading the virus as they go.

I'm totally fine with people traveling to other states. Heck, WE are going to Florida in January for a week. What bugs me is when people travel to other areas but don't respect the local laws/ordinances/etc.

So, for example, when DL reopens, they pretty much WILL require temperature screenings like at WDW. They WILL require you to wear a mask all day long except when you eat or drink. You will NOT be allowed to take any photos without a mask on. You WILL be asked to leave if you don't wear a mask. You will NOT be allowed to eat and drink while walking/wandering around.

Are any of those rules fun? No. Just go read the 300+ page "Just Back/Here Now" thread on the Theme Parks & Strategies board. Doing that in Florida weather is challenging.

Do I WANT to wear a mask all day long? No. Nobody does. But I am TOTALLY HAPPY to do so. Why? Because I really want to go to Disneyland.

If I were going to a non-Disney theme park in another part of the US and they had similar requirements, I'd be following that theme park's rules. I'd be following the rules of the airplanes I'd be flying in to get there. And I'd follow all of the rules of that city, county, and state that I was going to.

I suspect that the CA theme parks do NOT want to infect people. That's bad business.

It good BUSINESS to create a safe environment for guests. Having been to WDW (in September) I can say they did a great job reminding (and enforcing) safety protocols. I've been to CityWalk at Universal Hollywood and they are doing a great job with all safety protocols. I felt MUCH safer at WDW and CityWalk than in my local Vons, Trader Joe's and Home Depot.

[Mod edit: This post is responding to the question of DLR possibly eliminating their AP program.]

I think (though could be totally wrong) they will keep doing what they have been until at least the end of the year. If there is no progress on a potential lawsuit, or OC hasn't even moved down to Orange, or no negotiations have been made with the gov't, then anything could be on the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally fine with people traveling to other states. Heck, WE are going to Florida in January for a week. What bugs me is when people travel to other areas but don't respect the local laws/ordinances/etc.

So, for example, when DL reopens, they pretty much WILL require temperature screenings like at WDW. They WILL require you to wear a mask all day long except when you eat or drink. You will NOT be allowed to take any photos without a mask on. You WILL be asked to leave if you don't wear a mask. You will NOT be allowed to eat and drink while walking/wandering around.

Are any of those rules fun? No. Just go read the 300+ page "Just Back/Here Now" thread on the Theme Parks & Strategies board. Doing that in Florida weather is challenging.

Do I WANT to wear a mask all day long? No. Nobody does. But I am TOTALLY HAPPY to do so. Why? Because I really want to go to Disneyland.

If I were going to a non-Disney theme park in another part of the US and they had similar requirements, I'd be following that theme park's rules. I'd be following the rules of the airplanes I'd be flying in to get there. And I'd follow all of the rules of that city, county, and state that I was going to.
Exactly. When we went to WDW in Aug we saw all the protocol not as a restriction to our freedom, but as the cost to be able to HAVE THE FREEDOM to go and do that. Don't like it? Well, you can just stay in your home, working and going to school remotely, only going out to buy groceries - like we have since March. That's the alternative, and the only alternative. We went and had a great time. In fact, in time I doubt we'll even remember the masks.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! for posting that!! It's the most useful information I've seen so far!! Thank you!!! I'm in San Mateo, and trying to figure out when we might move has been a little hard based on just the information on the State map. Thanks!!
No problem! I found it a few weeks ago. It isn’t easy to locate.

Las Vegas is back to the regular Sunday 10 mile back up of Californians returning home after a weekend of doing the "Viva Las Vegas" thing. I'm pretty sure there is far more of a spread from that crowd than what Disneyland would have. I just find the whole thing selective and odd. At some point, people have to be allowed to make their own decisions on how/when they will risk contracting COVID.
It is not “selective and odd”. California can only control California- they don’t have a say in Vegas being open and we already know that trying to limit travel between states is impossible without a federal travel ban. They are doing their best with what they can control- theme parks, major tourist attractions, concerts, etc within the state of California. This isn’t an apt comparison.

It is not “selective and odd”. California can only control California- they don’t have a say in Vegas being open and we already know that trying to limit travel between states is impossible without a federal travel ban. They are doing their best with what they can control- theme parks, major tourist attractions, concerts, etc within the state of California. This isn’t an apt comparison.
Just going to say keep reading. The follow-up comments cover pretty well how CA is making this worse by keeping everything closed.

If Disney was serious about reopening Disneyland safely they would spend the millions that they will ultimately spend on a lawsuit to help the local community get to yellow tier. Fund test sites, open up the parking lots for free community testing, make public health PSAs on mask wearing with Disney characters, start a grant program for small businesses, etc. Disney is one of the biggest, richest companies in the entire world and they absolutely have power to make a large impact. Getting to yellow tier in OC is going to take a community effort and Disney is part of that community- they should put in some effort to help the city that is so dependent upon them.

I got the AP email too, I wonder what this means for us. We only used our AP's once before the closure and we were paid in full. I guess I won't be surprised if they just end up canceling them and refunding at this point.

If Disney was serious about reopening Disneyland safely they would spend the millions that they will ultimately spend on a lawsuit to help the local community get to yellow tier. Fund test sites, open up the parking lots for free community testing, make public health PSAs on mask wearing with Disney characters, start a grant program for small businesses, etc. Disney is one of the biggest, richest companies in the entire world and they absolutely have power to make a large impact. Getting to yellow tier in OC is going to take a community effort and Disney is part of that community- they should put in some effort to help the city that is so dependent upon them.

Or the California Government could allow them to open to avoid a costly lawsuit that would allow them to use the money saved to shore up their current safety measures within the properties. The same safety measures that have proven to be successful at their other parks around the world. This will allow them to further maximize the current safety measures to protect their guests and the surrounding community. Ultimately, safety on their properties is their primary responsibility. Getting the community to yellow is something more in the government's purview. Plus, it may look selective on their part if they only offer the services you suggest to Californians considering they are a global brand in the midst of a global pandemic.

IMHO.

Ask anyone who has been to WDW or really any of the Disney parks that have reopened; if CALIFORNIA would just follow the example of DISNEY, we could open ALL businesses and ALL schools, following the Disney Covid safety protocols. All businesses, all schools - no exceptions. What Disney is doing works - there has been no spread in any of the parks. Also, if Gov. Newsom wants Disney to set up a COVID testing site as a condition of opening, they will do it. After all, they did in Florida - no reason why they wouldn't here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter