• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've booked Wilderness Lodge for a stay in January. We can't wait..however I am nervous about the condition of rooms and transportation (does the resort share or make multiple stops for pickups on way to/from resorts?). Both our previous stays have been EPCOT resorts and we really loved the location and especially The Boardwalk Villas. However, my family is refusing to allow me to change our reservation back to Boardwalk, they are so excited to be coming to the Lodge. I'm sure I will love it once we are there. I'll keep everything crossed for the room refurb to be well underway by January :)

Seems like there has been a lot more chatter about the WL rooms needing a refresh ever since the news of the upcoming refurbishment. Coincidence?

We can't wait..however I am nervous about the condition of rooms and transportation (does the resort share or make multiple stops for pickups on way to/from resorts?).
:)

We are here now (Leaving Tuesday, WAHHHHHHH!). We're in BRV so I can't speak to the condition of the main lodge rooms, but things over here are pretty spiffy. Transportation is VERY important to us so we're thrilled with our studio which is a 1 minute walk to the bus and maybe 3 to the boat. Our experience (been here since Sept 1) is: WL to parks other than MK stop at the Contemporary during slower times - late morning through 5 pm-ish. During busy times it's a direct bus. I think once or twice we stopped at Ft. Wilderness on our way to AK, but we also went directly to AK several times. Parks to WL... WL is the first stop always. The bus from MK to WL literally takes 5 minutes. HowEVAH…. the boat to and from MK is a delight and should be utilized whenever possible. It takes maybe 15 mins, and you sometimes have to wait for a boat for a few. If there is ANY lightning, they stop boat transport. But it's lovely and peaceful and special. Another bonus is the boat lets you off at the super un-busy security guys and very close to MK entrance. Have fun! We loooooove it here.

Last edited:
We've booked Wilderness Lodge for a stay in January. We can't wait..however I am nervous about the condition of rooms and transportation (does the resort share or make multiple stops for pickups on way to/from resorts?). Both our previous stays have been EPCOT resorts and we really loved the location and especially The Boardwalk Villas. However, my family is refusing to allow me to change our reservation back to Boardwalk, they are so excited to be coming to the Lodge. I'm sure I will love it once we are there. I'll keep everything crossed for the room refurb to be well underway by January :)

I usually stay at BWV or BCV. I was very frustrated by the transportation at Wilderness Lodge.

I was not impressed with the boat service. I felt that I waited a long time, and the boat was slow. At night, it was buggy. The boats are not covered, so I would not want to ride them during the rain (if they even run during the rain).

The bus to Magic Kingdom was great. It came quickly and it was a very short ride.

I think most people would find that the other buses are typical for Disney - sometimes they come fast, sometimes you wait a long time. Sometimes they are shared, sometimes they are not. Since I'm used to being able to walk to Epcot and DHS, I think I got frustrated more quickly than other people might.

I used Uber and Lyft as well as Minnie Vans. Taking Uber or Lyft to Wilderness Lodge was a problem. Drivers said that Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness were showing up as the same place on their GPS. They kept trying to turn down roads which were not the entrance. It seemed really dark, and I didn't know my way around that area so I couldn't direct them from the back seat.

But hey, if you (or family members) get frustrated, at least you know that you tried to change resorts and your family insisted on staying there! I think that means they don't get to complain.

We can't wait..however I am nervous about the condition of rooms and transportation (does the resort share or make multiple stops for pickups on way to/from resorts?).
We agree with the others who have posted so far. While we are on the Copper Creek side, my parents are in a regular WL room and are loving it. The rooms are nice, and most wear issues seem minor to us.
As far as transportation, the Buses are the best they have ever been for us. They are still somewhat random and depend on luck to have an excellent experience, but they are as good at WL as anywhere else. The quick MK bus is very nice. We also have had better times returning from Epcot than in years past due to the new bridge that bypasses the MK parking booths.

The bus to Magic Kingdom was great. It came quickly and it was a very short ride.

I think most people would find that the other buses are typical for Disney - sometimes they come fast, sometimes you wait a long time. Sometimes they are shared, sometimes they are not.
Well said, we completely agree.

GrandCalifornian thanks so much for the beautiful pics. I am so home sick for my Wilderness Lodge Villas. Won't get back till December '19. It has always been our chill and happy place. Appreciate you taking the time to share.

Just came back from a short split stay at the Wilderness Lodge.

We originally booked a "standard" view but they put us in the courtyard on the 6th floor. Our room was right around the corner from the elevator which was nice to from the room to the main floor. Plus it was the elevators near Roaring Fork so the proximity was great.

The not so good, the rooms are a bit dated and our room needed some TLC. The one faucet was pretty much broken and unusable because the hot/cold knobs wouldn't turn.
Seems like there has been a lot more chatter about the WL rooms needing a refresh ever since the news of the upcoming refurbishment. Coincidence?

No, there is not a coincidence that the rooms badly need a refurb/refresh and there is one coming in a month.
We were there last week, booked Standard and were upgraded to Courtyard View, with a view of the pool (well, a 1st floor room right off the pool)
It was in dire need of refresh, literally and figuratively. Our room smelled badly of mildew/dampness. We did fine for 1 night but I'd have asked for a change had we been booked for a longer trip. I'm not allergic but the smell would have gotten to me. Otherwise, you can clearly tell they've not bothered with keeping up with the little things knowing the refurb is around the corner.

Transporatation from WL is usually shared to Epcot/HS and AK. It's never annoyed us that badly though.
Love the boats to/from MK (unless you are a rope dropper, you can't use the boat to make rope drop)

I usually stay at BWV or BCV. I was very frustrated by the transportation at Wilderness Lodge.

I was not impressed with the boat service. I felt that I waited a long time, and the boat was slow. At night, it was buggy. The boats are not covered, so I would not want to ride them during the rain (if they even run during the rain).

I think most people would find that the other buses are typical for Disney - sometimes they come fast, sometimes you wait a long time. Sometimes they are shared, sometimes they are not. Since I'm used to being able to walk to Epcot and DHS, I think I got frustrated more quickly than other people might.

I used Uber and Lyft as well as Minnie Vans. Taking Uber or Lyft to Wilderness Lodge was a problem. Drivers said that Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness were showing up as the same place on their GPS. They kept trying to turn down roads which were not the entrance. It seemed really dark, and I didn't know my way around that area so I couldn't direct them from the back seat.

But hey, if you (or family members) get frustrated, at least you know that you tried to change resorts and your family insisted on staying there! I think that means they don't get to complain.
They have covered boats. And uncovered boats. They alternate, one each, covered/uncovered. The smaller one, you must have used, is the one that can't hold ECV or strollers unfolded. The other boat is larger, can hold ECV and strollers unfolded and is completed enclosed. They run in the rain but not lightening or very high winds.

Just curious what are they gonna call the new Character dining at Artist Point? Looking at the dining reservations there hasn't been anything added and Artist point has no reservations available.

Just curious what are they gonna call the new Character dining at Artist Point? Looking at the dining reservations there hasn't been anything added and Artist point has no reservations available.
I could have sworn I saw it in one of the announcements somewhere. But I was at Disney at the time and my memory is foggy (it is Food and Wine time after all ;) )

Wonder when there gonna began letting people make reservations? If they began this winter I figured the reservations would already be started.

Wonder when there gonna began letting people make reservations? If they began this winter I figured the reservations would already be started.
Pure speculation...although I’m sure they would love to have this rolling for Xmas, I can’t imagine this taking anything less than 2 months to get going especially as it sounds like there will be physical changes to the dining room. So mid-January at the earliest?

Not sure.... as BCV owners, and those that routinely go to SIGNATURE Restaurants?

"TwoPoint". Yup, "TwoPoint" may be a very GOOD name :). Probably better than ARTISTPoint.
Hey, we used to love it.... not going back.

I don't know how to quote responses (sorry!) but for those who responded to my concerns about rooms - thank you x I'm sure I'm just overthinking things. I'm going to keep everything crossed for an updated room on arrival. The transport although I might get frustrated is not as important to me as the room (my family don't care about either, they just want to stay at the Lodge). We checked into Beach Club and that was just before their last refurb and those rooms were smelly and hard to cope with for ten nights. We stayed in the Boardwalk Villas right after the last refurb and loved it way more than Beach. But we've stayed EPCOT resorts twice and I'm def out-voted! A change is needed! I'll keep watching this thread for the upcoming refurb. The resort does look stunning :)

Not sure.... as BCV owners, and those that routinely go to SIGNATURE Restaurants?

"TwoPoint". Yup, "TwoPoint" may be a very GOOD name :). Probably better than ARTISTPoint.
Hey, we used to love it.... not going back.
Well I'm for one is looking forward to this!!!! Put some fun in the place...

I'm curious about this, as well. Although, I do think that naturally once the announce a refurb, the need for refurb becomes top of mind (just the way the brain works). I check TripAdvisor every so often and I don't see a lot of complaints about the state of the room. And, if you get there and unhappy (particularly for a smelly room), you can definitely politely request a change.

We stayed at the Swan last year, just following their refurb. I was kind of underwhelmed, to be honest. I had stayed at the Dolphin following their previous refurb and loved it. But, for some reason the Swan was underwhelming to me. So, all of that to say, it is what you make it and I'm sure you'll love the lodge either way. But, I'll keep fingers crossed for refurbed rooms for both of us. Although we're going in early-December, so they better get to it if they'll be any refurbed rooms by our trip! LOL!

Pure speculation...although I’m sure they would love to have this rolling for Xmas, I can’t imagine this taking anything less than 2 months to get going especially as it sounds like there will be physical changes to the dining room. So mid-January at the earliest?

Disney hasn't been taking AP reservations for quite some time now, so I was under the impression that they'd been working on this refurb well before it was announced.

First time staying WL coming up 10/11/18. It has been on our list of must-do resorts for a while now, but it's been tough to give up our "home" resort of CR CL. We are currently booked in a Courtyard bunkbed room and planning to try and add CL when we arrive. I would love any tips on location requests to have easy access to both CL & a decent view. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter