• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Do you have a "place"?

Yes. Fish and Chips restaurant. Actually, a fast food place in an old 1950's hamburger stand building. The cook always recognize me and greets me. Of course, the fryer is about 6 feet from the order area. Family run, actually, extended family because they have 7 locations in our city, all run by different family members. All vastly different because they take over existing stand alone non chain fast food and do minimum remodeling. There is one by my daughter's house, and it is huge and fancy compared to the one by my house.

I realized just this morning that we do! We went out to breakfast, and even though we don't always order the exact same things, the waitresses do remember us and are very sweet. We see a couple of the same customers regularly as well.

I realized just this morning that we do! We went out to breakfast, and even though we don't always order the exact same things, the waitresses do remember us and are very sweet. We see a couple of the same customers regularly as well.

its fun, to just have 1-2 places, where people know you and like you

Yes more than one. A few examples below.

Our favorite pizza place always greets us warmly and pretty much knows the order. And if we call from the road, they will always put something on a table to save it for us. We spend quite a bit of time there during football season watching Bears games since it is a Chicago pizza place in SoCal so they are also fans.

Our local Ralph's (grocery store). There are several people who know us well. The best was when I was in picking up yogurt for my Dad and the dairy manager looks at what I am buying and asks if my father was my father based on what I was buying. Yeah - they know exactly who my parents are and several will comment if my parents had been in that same day shopping.

And then scary is there are some cast members at Disneyland that recognize my Mom and myself and will comment that they see us a lot. We do go a couple times a month, but with all the people the cast members see, I just cannot believe they recognize us!

We live in a pretty small town so everywhere starts to get like that after enough years. I don't have regular favorites that I order time and again, so there's no place where the staff knows what I'm going to order, but there are several places where they know exactly what my girls (who are much more creatures of habit, especially DD11) will want as soon as they walk through the door and a lot of the staff/owners of local businesses know us by name.

If I had to pick one as "our place", it would definitely be the coffee shop. There's only one real coffee shop in our town and both DD18 & I love good/fancy (but not Starbucks-sweet) coffee drinks, so the staff in there knows us pretty well. DD18 went on a quest to try all of their flavor shots before leaving for college and the baristas always knew more or less where she left off on the list, and they know that DD11 will always order a lemonade with strawberry bubbles when she's with us. I'm sure when DD11 and I go in there after school today for our first day of school treat, they'll ask how DD18 is settling in to college and how the trip to move her in went.

Two restaurants in town....a sushi place and a burger place. At sushi, they know my husband very well and are shocked when he doesn't want all you can eat. :laughing: The burger place, we have our "waitress" and they seat us in her section without us asking or she'll come to us if there is nothing in her section. :o She always give us dessert for free and even once paid for our dinner when we brought her a very small gift from vacation once.

Do you have a place, where you are regulars to the point the staff knows you and treats you like family?

I think we officially have "a place" now - we have this little pizza/italian place that has the most AMAZING food. The pizza is the best I have ever had, and I have not had a single dish there that wasn't outstanding. DH and I used to make it a must-do when we would visit Chicago before we lived in IL, and now that we live within 25 minutes of it, we go there at least once a month, sometimes more.

There is a server there that is almost always there. The place is only open from like 3-10 and closed on Mondays, so she pretty much works every shift. The last time she saw us walking in and before she even talked to us, she brought DH a Cherry Coke, DD a sprite, me a water with lemon, and DS13 a lemonade. She knows our drinks lol. And DD ALWAYS order the shrimp fettuccine Alfredo, and "Sally" knew this, and she already knew that with our entrees I wanted a side salad with ranch, DD wanted lettuce only with ranch, and DH wanted whatever the soup of the day was.

And she wrapped up 3 cannoli to take home at the end because she knows we love them but are always too full to have one right after dinner, and gave them to us for free.

Last night we just ordered a pizza to go since we were on the run after football/cheer practice and needed something fast. "Sally" was bummed that we weren't staying to visit, as she put it.

I never thought we were the type of people that would have a "place" :)

Do you have a place where you are considered a regular?
need to know where this is. :)

We have a few.

A casual burger place with a great craft beer selection that we go to a few times a month. They know what types of beers we like and are quick to tell us what’s new that we should try.

Then there’s a brew pub where we never eat but we go, again, for the craft brew selection and trivia night. The bartenders there also immediately start pulling samples of beers “we should try.”

And finally a small craft brewery that opens once a month. We have been going with friends most months for about 5 years. We are such regulars that they let us hang a birthday banner over the bar last weekend for one of our friend’s birthday. We also brought a large cake to share with everyone there. They even refused to let him pay for any of his beers that one of us in the group didn’t buy.

Last edited:
I believe that I posted earlier that the Starbucks around the corner from our home is this place for us. I walk up tot he counter this morning and the employee informed me that they were out of veranda before I could even say my order. My jaw dropped I was sad, lol. She then said something along the lines of "I know, I was trying to prep it shortly before you arrived but the line arrived before I could finish" I just shook my head and said "Pike Place it'll be then". Another employee mouthed "sorry". They know my husband and I so well, lol.

Now I'm nervous that I hyped it up lol

it's a tiny place, but we love it. I hope you do too! Let me know if you end up trying it out, I'd love to hear what you think!

Last edited:
Now I'm nervous that I hyped it up lol

it's a tiny place, but we love it. I hope you do too! Let me know if you end up trying it out, I'd love to hear what you think!
Excellent. We live near North and Harlem, but use Midway all the time. Next time I'm that way, we will stop. I'm picking up my mom in a couple weeks from MDW, depending on her "mood" we will get pizza from there. LOL

I feel that that's right by Peaches....THE PLACE FOR PROM DRESSES. Right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter