Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

curious why you think the resorts nor parks won’t be open in May either?

For all we know they could be reopening 1st of April.
I seriously doubt that they will reopen that soon. Have you seen the CDC suggestion to cancel gatherings of 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks? I'm guessing it will be a while before places open back up like normal.

Reasons they won't be open April 1:
  • CDC is giving a 60 day guidance for now. 60 days from the time of that guidance is May 14.
  • Terminating every member of the DCP. If they thought they would be open April 1, that's only 2 weeks. Even with issues of the housing, they could probably ride two weeks. That they dumped all of DCP before Easter week suggests Easter week is not happening at all.
The DCP term is the big one. While there is concern about the housing, they could shelter in place in the housing for 2 weeks. Sending home every DCP and terming their contracts cuts a huge section of their workforce across the whole resort and parks operation.

I seriously doubt that they will reopen that soon. Have you seen the CDC suggestion to cancel gatherings of 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks? I'm guessing it will be a while before places open back up like normal.
Thanks for noting that. I read that this morning. Have you noticed how these quotes are floated on tv and the internet and then within a day or so become reality....I really think they (gov't, CDC) are serving us little bits of information so we don't all go off the cliff at the same time.

It all depends on the status of the points And an owners UY. Points that have been banked will not be banked again. I would assume the reasoning not to make an exception for this is that the member had the opportunity to use them but choose to move them forward.

Points that were borrowed..moved a year ahead of time...are being restored. This is not normal either, but I assume it is because you can only borrow to make a reservation. Since that reservation can’t happen, it is only right to move them back.
I'm not sure I understand this. Why is it right to move borrowed points back, but not allow banked points to be effectively class as this year and banked again? Both scenarios followed the rules of using DVC points? Disney seem happy with people pulling points forward, arguably putting "strain on the inventory" in this year, but now they can't fulfil it, people using banked points are "sorry buddy, you are on your own?" Why are there 2 rules being applied?

To use your argument, people had the opportunity to leave their points in the use year they were allocated, but chose not to, and pulled them into this use year, so why is it a difference in banked points? Surely there should be one rule?

I'm not sure I understand this. Why is it right to move borrowed points back, but not allow banked points to be effectively class as this year and banked again? Both scenarios followed the rules of using DVC points? Disney seem happy with people pulling points forward, arguably putting "strain on the inventory" in this year, but now they can't fulfil it, people using banked points are "sorry buddy, you are on your own?" Why are there 2 rules being applied?

To use your argument, people had the opportunity to leave their points in the use year they were allocated, but chose not to, and pulled them into this use year, so why is it a difference in banked points? Surely there should be one rule?

I am not sure this is their thinking but is mine.

You can’t borrow points UNLESS you are making a reservation. So, when that reservation can’t happen in this case with resorts shut down, you are not even being giving the chance to use them. So you aren’t even getting one years use to try and book those points,

With banking, you had the entire UY of the points to use them but chose to EXTEND the life of the points. The resorts were still open when those points were banked,

I see that as two different things and maybe the reason they are putting points back for members Because the resorts can no longer be used.

Now, it’s very possible that they will suspend banking/borrowing in the next few years depending on how what they have done impacts things,

You can’t borrow points UNLESS you are making a reservation. So, when that reservation can’t happen in this case with resorts shut down, you are not even being giving the chance to use them. So you aren’t even getting one years use to try and book those points,

With banking, you had the entire UY of the points to use them but chose to EXTEND the life of the points.
But I made a reservation with my banked points. I can't use them, any more than you can use your borrowed points. You had the entire UY next year to use the points you borrowed. On borrowing you made the choice to SHORTEN the life of the points, as I did to extend mine. They are both choices. They are both allowed. They are both supposed to be final. So why is one being treated differently than the other.

I think its pretty cynical by Disney. They are putting back borrowed points because those people wouldn't come and spend money. And dressing this up as being the good guy. While others are in the same boat and have no option, like the poster above are left to swing. Why? because they still have points to use next year and will also come and spend money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the points re-allocation shouldn't happen for borrowers, I just can't understand the argument that these are 2 different things. My call with MS is going to be fun:-)

But I made a reservation with my banked points. I can't use them, any more than you can use your borrowed points. You had the entire UY next year to use the points you borrowed. On borrowing you made the choice to SHORTEN the life of the points, as I did to extend mine. They are both choices. They are both allowed. They are both supposed to be final. So why is one being treated differently than the other.

I think its pretty cynical by Disney. They are putting back borrowed points because those people wouldn't come and spend money. And dressing this up as being the good guy. While others are in the same boat and have no option, like the poster above are left to swing. Why? because they still have points to use next year and will also come and spend money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the points re-allocation shouldn't happen for borrowers, I just can't understand the argument that these are 2 different things. My call with MS is going to be fun:-)

I was wondering the same thing. I don’t have any banked points in a reservation for the next couple of months, but I used banked points for reservations in the fall. I understand just putting the points back into your account if not banked or borrowed, but it does seem odd that they’re making exceptions for borrowed points but not banked ones. I understand your frustration, but maybe we should be happy they’re bending any rules. I don’t know how it would benefit anyone if someone who borrowed can’t return the points either. I agree they should do something with those who banked points, but again, let’s be happy they’re bending any rules at all when they don’t have to.

I agree, and I want to rebook my april vacation that is cancelled to sept and use my points that had been banked. I dont feel its right that they wont allow an extra one time banking due to these circumstances. I paid for the use of those points and was using them during a time that was allowed. They are closed and not I cant use them

A secondary real issue is that inventory was already moved out of the year in which you banked points, and it's in the past now so much harder to accommodate moving forward. Borrowed points are from the FUTURE! and there are more options to accommodate.

A secondary real issue is that inventory was already moved out of the year in which you banked points, and it's in the past now so much harder to accommodate moving forward. Borrowed points are from the FUTURE! and there are more options to accommodate.
But they were happy to put more strain on the inventory and allow you to pull them into this year. My banking points allowed someone else to book, possibly someone who was borrowing points from the future? So why are people who banked being penalised more? We freed up inventory last year?

To clarify, I don’t think they should be doing it, I am just saying I can see reason as to why they choose to treat the points differently.

ETA: And I am a beneficiary of it...have another May trip on some borrowed points too. If they go back by then and don’t allow borrowed points to be restored, I’ll deal with it and either go in July or lose them,

The only rule I think they should be bending is holding.

This has nothing to do with spending money or not, We, as owners will will pay a price for this decision. DVC has made the decision on our behalf to break the rules and if there is a fall out from it, then we will all suffer and have to deal with it,

Disney has always had the policy in place to restore borrowed points for emergencies, like hurricanes. So, they could be following standard policy. They have never let points be banked more than once,

But they were happy to put more strain on the inventory and allow you to pull them into this year. My banking points allowed someone else to book, possibly someone who was borrowing points from the future? So why are people who banked being penalised more? We freed up inventory last year?

It's not really strain when you pull into this year, because they can adjust inventory based on ongoing bank/borrow movement.

It's really about "now" and "future" vs. "past." When you banked the points, adjustments were made, and they are gone because they are past. When you borrowed, the adjustments are in the present time, where some of the adjustment is even going to be reflected via closure.

It's not really strain when you pull into this year, because they can adjust inventory based on ongoing bank/borrow movement.
So why can't they adjust available inventory to accommodate banked points next year like they do when they accommodate borrowed points into a year? Why are banked points worth less than borrowed ones? Why the 2 rules?

I think the issue with rebanking is that the number of points available for booking if rebanking is permitted will be way more than the inventory available to book. If everyone banked this year's points into next year, booking could be horrible for the next year. Or if you combined rebanked points with banked points and current points, everyone would complain that they couldn't book anything at all other than right at 11 months out. And even then it could be tough.
So why can't they adjust available inventory to accommodate banked points next year like they do when they accommodate borrowed points into a year? Why are banked points worth less than borrowed ones? Why the 2 rules?
What inventory would they adjust? They only have so much inventory. Especially when they are doing renovations that close off entire floors or buildings or both.

This is from DVC disclosure documents. Bolding is mine.

If you do not use your full complement of Vacation Points within a given Use Year, you will not be able to carry forward your Vacation Points into the next Use Year, except to the limited extent permitted by Banking. Banking and Borrowing are use management options which, subject to their suspension by the Management Company, permit you to use Vacation Points from the next succeeding Use Year in the immediately preceding Use Year (Borrowing) or to defer the use of the Vacation Points from the current Use Year into the following Use Year (Banking). Your ability to either Bank or Borrow at any given time is further limited by the level of general Banking and Borrowing that exists at that particular time.

This is also from DVC disclosure:

Your ability to receive a confirmed reservation request is dependent upon the availability of the particular Vacation Home type for the time requested; therefore, there can be no guarantee that a particular reservation request can be fulfilled. The longer you wait to make reservations, the less likely it is that you will be able to reserve your first choice of Vacation Home types or use periods. If you do not make reservations in a timely manner, you may have to accept whatever remaining use periods and Vacation Homes are available. If the remaining use periods and Vacation Homes are not convenient to your plans or schedule, you may lose your use rights for that year.

Disney can suspend anyone's right to bank at all if the system is becoming out of balance. They've never had to, but these are unusual times. It may be coming next if this closure lasts.

Because banked points add to the total. Putting borrowed points dosent.

For example, and using small numbers here, there are 100 points a year to book rooms next year, Say someone borrows 50 points. Now there are less points then rooms as there are still the same number of rooms,

If those 50 points get put back, you are back to the original starting point. 100 points for the rooms,

Now, let’s go with banked points, Banked points added 100 points to this year, making it 200 points, They accounted for that this year. And knew that we’d have more points than rooms,

Since the 100 from this year can be banked next year, if you also allowed the 100 that are already banked to be banked again, you are now putting 200 points into next year,

That gives you 300 points to cover the rooms that normally book for 100 points.

The system is set up to, at worst case, to have double the points in any one UY. By allowing double banking, you are putting more than that into the system, That is why it is different.

The CDC is recommending groups of 50+ people don’t meet for 8 weeks. I would assume Disney will do this especially if it is the trend with hotels, other theme parks, etc.

As this is only a suggestion is there any reason to believe that anyone (ie Disney) won’t follow the guidelines?

Another thought, every day the parks are closed costs Disney a huge amount of money. Don’t know if workers get paid as long as parks and resorts are closed? Even with a full war chest There is only so long Disney can go without needing to open the parks again to make $$$$

Reasons they won't be open April 1:
  • CDC is giving a 60 day guidance for now. 60 days from the time of that guidance is May 14.
  • Terminating every member of the DCP. If they thought they would be open April 1, that's only 2 weeks. Even with issues of the housing, they could probably ride two weeks. That they dumped all of DCP before Easter week suggests Easter week is not happening at all.
The DCP term is the big one. While there is concern about the housing, they could shelter in place in the housing for 2 weeks. Sending home every DCP and terming their contracts cuts a huge section of their workforce across the whole resort and parks operation.

What is the DCP?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter