Does anyone else kind of just want to get this virus and get it over with?

The ventilator shortage seems to be a nyc issue. There is plenty to go around. I haven’t heard of any hospital in Ohio reporting any shortage. New York seems to have that issue.

That is because Ohio only has a little over 2100 cases as of yesterday. New York has 45,707 as of yesterday. Hopefully social distancing will work, but if your cases multiply, you too will be in that situation. Right now it is places like Detroit, New Orleans, etc.

You are saying that if someone is having a heart attack, calls 911, ambulance shows up, they aren't allowed to do anything to try and help patient? Why even show up then?
That has to mean if they have a stopped heart. No way you couldn’t help someone who is awake and having a heart attack. If that’s the case. I’d be leaving New York.

You are saying that if someone is having a heart attack, calls 911, ambulance shows up, they aren't allowed to do anything to try and help patient? Why even show up then?
Because they might be able to resuscitate them in the home. My dad dies of a heart attack, they did resuscitate him in his home and then lost him, this went on during the ambulance ride and in the ED. I was then asked if they should continue which they didn’t recommend. If someone calls 911 because someone collapses, the EMT’s don't even know if it’s a heart attack.
https://abc7ny.com/coronavirus-nyc-news-updates-new-york/6069778/

Because they might be able to resuscitate them in the home. My dad dies of a heart attack, they did resuscitate him in his home and then lost him, this went on during the ambulance ride and in the ED. I was then asked if they should continue which they didn’t recommend. If someone calls 911 because someone collapses, the EMT’s don't even know if it’s a heart attack.
https://abc7ny.com/coronavirus-nyc-news-updates-new-york/6069778/

So they are allowed to at least try though. The poster I quoted said they weren't even allowed to try to revive them.

That has to mean if they have a stopped heart. No way you couldn’t help someone who is awake and having a heart attack. If that’s the case. I’d be leaving New York.
Yes, that is the way I read it. They are not allowed to try CPR to restore a heart beat.

You do know if you get this virus it's not an automatic hospitalization scenario, right, much less that you need a vent or will die from it, right?

I think many people have gotten it and didn't even know it, and many more will get it (like they catch any other bug). I've sort of told myself it's not *IF* I catch it, but *WHEN*. Does that mean I'm TRYING to catch it? No. But I am not going through a lot of (what I feel are) extremes. We've done take out. We bring the food home and eat it. I'm not talking shoes off in the garage. We're not spraying/wiping down delivered packages. We are keeping 6' away from non-family members. DD (who lives in an apartment in town) comes by once a week to do laundry (because going to her apartment laundry room would actually be WORSE for social distancing).

We're giving each other (family members in the household) fist bumps and hugs. DW & I even kiss at times. The kids and I played basketball last night in our backyard.

This probably makes some of you crazy. To that, I just say this:
prayer.png

I didn't suggest that it was. Merely pointed out that at this point contracting the virus as a healthy person cannot be dismissed as a very likely recoverable event -- even if you only display mild symptoms.

I had that point driven home two days ago learning that a healthy 24 year old who had been dealing with cold symptoms for the past couple weeks and was getting better three days ago suddenly and abruptly developed difficulty breathing and died two days ago. Never diagnosed because he merely had garden variety cold symptoms and followed the advice of his doctor via phone consult. No doubt the results will be confirmed at some point.

Three days ago it seemed like his cold symptoms were lifting and his doc told him very well could have been a cold. Two days ago, very abruptly had difficulty breathing and was gone. I'm guessing it seemed to him and to his family, whew, it was just a cold or whew, if that was the virus at least I'm "over with it". Tragically not at all.

We're not taking extreme measures at our house either. I can't even wrap my brain around the idea how it's feasible to disinfect every box of pasta or package of meat, etc. No level of production could keep up with the need for sanitary wipes, etc. for that level of sanitizing by everyone. We've been keeping home for a few weeks now, with only the well planned run to the store for food all done by my husband. We're not cowering in fear, but we're also not denying a threat exists.

Well not exactly. From article, they are allowed to attempt resuscitation in the field. If it doesn't work, they can't bring to hospital.
I'll revise it. Was doing it from memory, then found the article. Though to me, it was a little ambiguous. But maybe that was me.

Yes, that is the way I read it. They are not allowed to try CPR to restore a heart beat.
Order or no order to stay at home. That’s insane and I’d be leaving NYC. At some point if one can’t rely on others for help. You have to help yourself and go where you could get it. If I had a bad ticker and knew this. Yeah. Time to take care of ones own situation.

There is an internet meme - if you had a bag of Skittles, and there were 100 of the candies in the bag. 99 were perfectly fine, but one would kill you in a slow painful way. Would you willingly eat from that bag of Skittles?

That's what we have happening in America right now. People are not taking the percentages seriously because they are just numbers. Until someone that you know dies, they do not connect in our minds with real risk. You understand the numbers at an intellectual level, but not at a biological level. Your need to preserve yourself does not kick in.

But let one person that you love die from this and Skittles would be banned from your house for life. Suddenly that 1% has meaning.

The difference is that a person could live a rich, full life without ever having another Skittle. The same cannot be said for not going to work, not seeing family, not engaging in recreational activities, not going to school, etc. And honestly, that Skittles analogy is dismissive to the point of insulting to the people with mental health issues, equating as it does the connections that are a very real lifeline for them to a piece of candy that can easily be tossed out if there's any small fear of contamination. The better analogy, for many, would be one poison pill in a prescription bottle, where you have to balance the risk of taking the poison with the risk of going cold-turkey off a medication that was prescribed for a serious, chronic health issue. Do you take your medication and count on the odds being in your favor, or do you forego the medication and gamble with the effects of the underlying condition instead?

The difference is that a person could live a rich, full life without ever having another Skittle. The same cannot be said for not going to work, not seeing family, not engaging in recreational activities, not going to school, etc. And honestly, that Skittles analogy is dismissive to the point of insulting to the people with mental health issues, equating as it does the connections that are a very real lifeline for them to a piece of candy that can easily be tossed out if there's any small fear of contamination. The better analogy, for many, would be one poison pill in a prescription bottle, where you have to balance the risk of taking the poison with the risk of going cold-turkey off a medication that was prescribed for a serious, chronic health issue. Do you take your medication and count on the odds being in your favor, or do you forego the medication and gamble with the effects of the underlying condition instead?
:crazy:

Great analogy. Cheap, lifesaving SERM has a 1.2% chance of PE over 5 years. I took the medication for 5.5 years and got a PE. After extreme measures I now take an AI to finish my 10 years of treatment. It isn’t candy. It is several strong drugs with significant side effects. It is better than the alternative.

Simple cost benefit analysis. Right now ”flattening the curve“ is better than the alternative. It will not stay that way indefinitely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter