Does anyone else kind of just want to get this virus and get it over with?

But to respond, I do think everything should open back up again, with the social distancing features that many incorporated before they were forced to close. Those more at risk, for any reason, should be allowed to work from home, collect unemployment if they can't work from home but don't feel safe at work, etc. Restaurants were taping off every other table for dine-in guests, so that there was 6' between tables. Movie theaters were restricting capacities to where a show was "sold out" if half full, with a maximum number of people allowed in the building. Let retail stores re-open with similar limitations on total number of people inside at any one time. Let schools re-open, with any students with potential health issues (or with family that they could potentially expose) allowed to continue virtual school. Those restrictions were sufficient to protect the most vulnerable, while everyone else could let it run its course. By letting it run thru us, there would only be a very very very small burden on the healthcare system, and we wouldn't be able to infect those more vulnerable because we would have already had it.

Go ask the nurses and the doctors what they think of your plan.

I still find the premise of the thread rather preposterous, in that it presupposes you get it and get over it. Even healthy people are getting it and dying from it.

So I guess the first question I'd ask is, does anybody want to get the virus and BE over with? Personally I still have a life I want to live.

I think the "flattening of the curve" should be measured and the intended results should be based on hospitalizations. Since you are in healthcare, please correct me, but from what I've seen it appears that the system is being inundated by not only those who actually have COVID19 bad enough to be there, but also by those who have listened to too much media/politicians to where they are panicked that their sniffles are going to kill them. In our state, roughly 13% of those being tested, and only those with matching symptoms are being tested to start with, actually have it. One popular comparison in New Orleans is that the game has gone from "gunshots or fireworks?" to "pollen or plague?". Everybody with a sneeze, most likely due to allergies (they are bad right now for many), sees a ventilator in their future and are going to be tested, which has been taking a week for results, so out of fear of their lives, are monopolizing medical staff's time. "Out of an abundance of caution" are those waiting for results being admitted "just in case" and to quarantine? And if so, how reliable are even the hospitalization numbers? I'm hoping that the new 15 minute test will fix a lot of the current problems, but the numbers will appear to spike has last week's tests that are just now being reported and the 15 minute tests from this morning are all lumped together.

But to respond, I do think everything should open back up again, with the social distancing features that many incorporated before they were forced to close. Those more at risk, for any reason, should be allowed to work from home, collect unemployment if they can't work from home but don't feel safe at work, etc. Restaurants were taping off every other table for dine-in guests, so that there was 6' between tables. Movie theaters were restricting capacities to where a show was "sold out" if half full, with a maximum number of people allowed in the building. Let retail stores re-open with similar limitations on total number of people inside at any one time. Let schools re-open, with any students with potential health issues (or with family that they could potentially expose) allowed to continue virtual school. Those restrictions were sufficient to protect the most vulnerable, while everyone else could let it run its course. By letting it run thru us, there would only be a very very very small burden on the healthcare system, and we wouldn't be able to infect those more vulnerable because we would have already had it.

No, that is not what is overwhelming the healthcare system. Right now, you cannot just show up to the ER to get tested. What has been overwhelmed is the ICU, ambulance systems, etc. In fact, in New York, if paramedics get to someone who had a heart attack, ( here it is tricky, they can try some to revive them in the field but they cannot transport them to the hospital without a pulse if I understand the article. Normally they would continue resuscitation all the way to the hospital ) There is no room. You only get admitted to the hospital if you have severe symptoms. They are not full of people that "might" have the virus. People are tested ( normally at testing centers or our hospital has a tent outside the ER and people go there) and told to go home and self-quarantine. The only people admitted are the ones that cannot breathe.

What you suggest is good, and will probably be done only when the numbers go down, but then I still wonder. We have so many teachers in our district that are high risk. We do not have virtual school in our district because 70 percent get free lunch/breakfast and do not have a computer/internet at home. I think some of the high school students are getting some virtual, but right now, once a week a parent goes to pick up a packet and drop off the ones they completed. I also think restaurants will not be full enough to be profitable doing that, nor will a ton of people go. Some will. I just do not see how Khol's will be profitable if only 50 are allowed to be there. Plus, until the have the antibody test or vaccine, several of us may not be allowed to go. If my spouse is in healthcare and exposed quite a bit, how will my family ever be able to be out of quarantine. Also, many, many docs are in the higher risk not just because of their job but because of their age and health. In our little town, all 4 docs are over 55 and 2 of the 4 have underlying conditions. (Other 2 may as well, I don't know them) A lot from the hospital in the neighboring town like in my husband's specialty...out of the 6 docs 4 are over 55. I'm just not sure how healthcare is going to land from all of this. One of our local docs is on a vent already. We'll see. But I just do not see how the measures you are suggesting could work until the number of cases is going down, not up.

Last edited:
I still find the premise of the thread rather preposterous, in that it presupposes you get it and get over it. Even healthy people are getting it and dying from it.

So I guess the first question I'd ask is, does anybody want to get the virus and BE over with? Personally I still have a life I want to live.

To be fair to the original poster, she ( and all of us) are so tired of being anxious about this disease... Is this cough it? Which doc or nurse gets it next? She just wants the anxiety to go away. It was a vent. She wasn't serious. But worrying about this is taking a toll on many people's mental health. I jumped on her as well, but I understand how she feels.

To be fair to the original poster, she ( and all of us) are so tired of being anxious about this disease... Is this cough it? Which doc or nurse gets it next? She just wants the anxiety to go away. It was a vent. She wasn't serious. But worrying about this is taking a toll on many people's mental health. I jumped on her as well, but I understand how she feels.

So your point is, OP's ability to express her thoughts is valid, your ability to respond is valid and no one else is allowed to voice their thoughts?

So your point is, OP's ability to express her thoughts is valid, your ability to respond is valid and no one else is allowed to voice their thoughts?
No, not at all. Please do not be angry at me. Everyone is just so angry at her. I'm just trying to point out her point of view. As you can see, I have posted a ton and liked a ton of posts that said why that was a wrong idea. Please, we need to fight this virus, not each other. My point was NEVER that someone shouldn't post. Just trying to see things from her point of view. Please be kind.

No, not at all. Please do not be angry at me. Everyone is just so angry at her. I'm just trying to point out her point of view. As you can see, I have posted a ton and liked a ton of posts that said why that was a wrong idea. Please, we need to fight this virus, not each other. My point was NEVER that someone shouldn't post. Just trying to see things from her point of view. Please be kind.

It's not kind to twist people's words either. I didn't attack OP, merely shared my thoughts -- something you yourself said you also did. Yet now you think somehow you're designated to decide what thoughts are appropriate and who's being kind and who's not?

You saw fit to lecture the vent of a caregiver dealing with a parent who has irrational thoughts about going out amidst these conditions as if nothing was going on. You suggested the venting was wrong and the elderly person deserved more love. Caregivers need to vent to relieve some pressure. Doing so does NOT indicate they're slacking in any way on the love they offer those they are taking care of.

It's not kind to twist people's words either. I didn't attack OP, merely shared my thoughts -- something you yourself said you also did. Yet now you think somehow you're designated to decide what thoughts are appropriate and who's being kind and who's not?

You saw fit to lecture the vent of a caregiver dealing with a parent who has irrational thoughts about going out amidst these conditions as if nothing was going on. You suggested the venting was wrong and the elderly person deserved more love. Caregivers need to vent to relieve some pressure. Doing so does NOT indicate they're slacking in any way on the love they offer those they are taking care of.
I'm sorry that you took it that way. Probably shouldn't have quoted you but just made a general statement. Again, I like you. I am not attacking you. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't hate me or be mad at me. I'm sorry what else do you want me to say??? Please don't be mad at me. My goal in life is to make people happy, hence I never argue with my loved ones. Please don't hate me. Please. Please.

You do know if you get this virus it's not an automatic hospitalization scenario, right, much less that you need a vent or will die from it, right?

I think many people have gotten it and didn't even know it, and many more will get it (like they catch any other bug). I've sort of told myself it's not *IF* I catch it, but *WHEN*. Does that mean I'm TRYING to catch it? No. But I am not going through a lot of (what I feel are) extremes. We've done take out. We bring the food home and eat it. I'm not talking shoes off in the garage. We're not spraying/wiping down delivered packages. We are keeping 6' away from non-family members. DD (who lives in an apartment in town) comes by once a week to do laundry (because going to her apartment laundry room would actually be WORSE for social distancing).

We're giving each other (family members in the household) fist bumps and hugs. DW & I even kiss at times. The kids and I played basketball last night in our backyard.

This probably makes some of you crazy. To that, I just say this:
prayer.png

You do know if you get this virus it's not an automatic hospitalization scenario, right, much less that you need a vent or will die from it, right?

I think many people have gotten it and didn't even know it, and many more will get it (like they catch any other bug). I've sort of told myself it's not *IF* I catch it, but *WHEN*. Does that mean I'm TRYING to catch it? No. But I am not going through a lot of (what I feel are) extremes. We've done take out. We bring the food home and eat it. I'm not talking shoes off in the garage. We're not spraying/wiping down delivered packages. We are keeping 6' away from non-family members. DD (who lives in an apartment in town) comes by once a week to do laundry (because going to her apartment laundry room would actually be WORSE for social distancing).

We're giving each other (family members in the household) fist bumps and hugs. DW & I even kiss at times. The kids and I played basketball last night in our backyard.

This probably makes some of you crazy. To that, I just say this:
prayer.png

So many people think this is an automatic death sentence if you get it. It's not.

Go ask the nurses and the doctors what they think of your plan.
We have no problems with people who aren’t sick taking the medical professionals away from those who truly need it. It is almost impossible to get tested, even if you have all of the symptoms. The hospitals are overwhelmed, someone not needing emergency care are not going to be admitted, trust me. I’m guessing some posters are living in areas where this hasn’t hit yet. It’s like me living on the east coast suggesting that those wildfires that happen on the west coast should just burn themselves out.
https://abc7ny.com/coronavirus-nyc-news-updates-new-york/6069778/

Last edited:
So many people think this is an automatic death sentence if you get it. It's not.
It is if you need a vent and there isn’t one available. It is for a large section of the population, and it’s a pretty awful death. Doctors and nurses are dying due to lack of protective supplies that probably would’ve lived otherwise.

This. It’s not even close to that for over 99% of anyone that gets it. We now have 10 million Americans newly un employed. That can’t continue. And won’t. I’ll bet the ranch stuff re opens the first of May. People won’t survive the closure economically but they can survive the virus. Economics will win. The death rate is now not even 1%. Once the country gets back open. The economy will come back. But so many now have no job. And that’s gonna take time to fix.

and likewise, so many are assuming of they get it theyll be asymptotic and it’s no big deal. I understand the statistics driving that assumption, but it’s still not a gamble many of us are NOT willing to take, especially given the stress many medical systems are already under.

Just because they think it’s a bad gamble doesn’t mean they all think it’s an automatic death sentence

It may not be a death sentence, but in New York 20 percent were ONLY hospitalized and 3 percent have died ( many of them should be added to the hospitalization number. That is substantial. Most people who are hospitalized are there for a minimum of a week and up to a month. Some will have PTSD. If they were on a vent, I think I heard that they have some long term lung damage. So it isn't only dying that worries me.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

It is if you need a vent and there isn’t one available. It is for a large section of the population, and it’s a pretty awful death. Doctors and nurses are dying due to lack of protective supplies that probably would’ve lived otherwise.
The ventilator shortage seems to be a nyc issue. There is plenty to go around. I haven’t heard of any hospital in Ohio reporting any shortage. New York seems to have that issue.

The ventilator shortage seems to be a nyc issue. There is plenty to go around. I haven’t heard of any hospital in Ohio reporting any shortage. New York seems to have that issue.

Ummmm no. Our governor (Louisiana) has been begging for them. We simply do not have enough.

I stay home to ease the burden on our hospitals and first responders.

No, that is not what is overwhelming the healthcare system. Right now, you cannot just show up to the ER to get tested. What has been overwhelmed is the ICU, ambulance systems, etc. In fact, in New York, if paramedics get to someone who had a heart attack, they are not allowed to revive them or take them to the hospital. There is no room. You only get admitted to the hospital if you have severe symptoms. They are not full of people that "might" have the virus. People are tested ( normally at testing centers or our hospital has a tent outside the ER and people go there) and told to go home and self-quarantine. The only people admitted are the ones that cannot breathe.

You are saying that if someone is having a heart attack, calls 911, ambulance shows up, they aren't allowed to do anything to try and help patient? Why even show up then?

Ummmm no. Our governor (Louisiana) has been begging for them. We simply do not have enough.

I stay home to ease the burden on our hospitals and first responders.
Haven’t heard much about Louisiana. NYC still rules the national news.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter