Does anyone else kind of just want to get this virus and get it over with?

We aren't like that here IMO as in using that criteria for it purely my opinion as it stands at the moment but of course hard to say never ya know (not that I don't get your overall concern though). And to be honest I haven't read anything regarding Italy doing that with respects to using BMI as a deciding factor.

What I read was from a doctor directly in a hospital in Italy. No one over 40 years old or with a BMI over 25 was being intubated for ventilation, at one point in the outbreak there.

What I read was from a doctor directly in a hospital in Italy. No one over 40 years old or with a BMI over 25 was being intubated for ventilation, at one point in the outbreak there.
Interesting yeah hadn't heard of that. I wouldn't extrapolate that out to here because I think we treat those variables differently in our nation (yes never say never though) but I get being concerned at the thought.

I can understand the sentiment of wanting to just face things and "get it over with". However, I am sure this is something that nobody should want. I think the longer you hold out from getting it, the better the chances of a treatment will be.

If they knew for certain that you couldn't get it again then it might not be such a bad idea because I think most of us are going to get it one way or another and I'm also very curious to see how many are asymptomatic because it seems like it's actually quite high.

Look, I'm not suggesting that college kids go on spring break right now or anything like that but the odds of you surviving are very much in your favor. People have a lot of different health issues so it's hard to say that it was this one thing that killed them when in reality it might have been several things and this was just what finally put them over the edge.

Everybody wants to immediately accuse people of fat shaming people but the reality is that obesity is a major problem. There is nothing wrong with having cake or a Coke. There is something wrong when you replace every water with Coke and then also combine that with a lack of exercising. We have one guy at work that easily weights 300+ pounds. Honestly, he's probably 400. He smokes too but he's young so for now, his body can tolerate it. I need a medical clearance for my job. I know I'm not the only one that goes to my appointments thinking, "If that guy can keep his medical then so can I."

I began feeling unwell about 18 days ago. Now I am better, but still get short of breath when I walk (and I normally walked my dog for two/three hours a day), my chest still feels tight, as though my lungs need expanding, and I am fatigued. I really hope that this was ‘it’ and that I have had ‘it’.

Not sure why I would be ashamed of myself.. its the truth. Plenty of people who aren't in the demographics we are told are vulnerable ARE dying from this..if you get it, you don't know what the outcome is going to be. You didn't add too much to the discussion there.
Your statement that if you caught it you had a 50/50 chance of dying is what you should be ashamed of.

"people like throwing around the small percentages of dying from it, but the reality is 50/50 if you get it, you live or die, and you can't know 100% which it will be."

Your contribution to the discussion is alarmist and wrong. The vast majority of people who catch the virus DO NOT DIE, and saying that half of them will die is just irresponsible.

ford family

I'd rather just wait for a vaccine, but even I think the lockdowns cannot continue forever, as economies get paralysed and people grow disillusioned with the way things are going. In Italy, there are already signs of that happening.

So sad
Healthy young people dying which is why I said earlier this was a stupid question or thing to want to get to “get it over with”!
I think it's a thought provoking question not a stupid one.

In many illnesses and diseases there will be seemingly healthy people who die, there will be those considered young who die. This virus is no different in that respect. That does not mean the question posed isn't worth introspective thoughts though understandable if one doesn't want to even think about it to begin with.

Your statement that if you caught it you had a 50/50 chance of dying is what you should be ashamed of.

"people like throwing around the small percentages of dying from it, but the reality is 50/50 if you get it, you live or die, and you can't know 100% which it will be."

Your contribution to the discussion is alarmist and wrong. The vast majority of people who catch the virus DO NOT DIE, and saying that half of them will die is just irresponsible.

ford family

I guess you don't understand what I was getting at then... I did not say 50% of people who get this WILL die. I said if you get it, you really don't know what the outcome will be.. you will live or you will die (50/50).. The OP of this subject was talking about wanting to get this and be done with it.. which seems to be a popular opinion that people aren't concerned and are more worried about getting back to 'normal'. My point being that everyone SHOULD be concerned because they really don't know what the result of getting it will be. Especially at this point with trying to keep medical systems from being overloaded since those who could avoid death by getting proper treatment may not be able to get it.
While not the majority, young people ARE dying, people without major underlying issues ARE dying, no one can say it won't affect them for sure... why anyone would want to voluntarily risk it without better protective options in place baffles me.

I guess you don't understand what I was getting at then... I did not say 50% of people who get this WILL die. I said if you get it, you really don't know what the outcome will be.. you will live or you will die (50/50)..

But that's now how it works. Just because you only have two options, doesn't make it 50/10 - the probability of the event (e.g. CFR) matters. It's not like it's a coin toss.

why anyone would want to voluntarily risk it without better protective options in place baffles me.

Because if I get it, if I haven't already had it, my risk of dying is not 50/50. My risk of dying is somewhere between 0.1% and 0.6% according to one medical source, and potentially as high as 1% to 1.5% according to a different source, as no one really knows because there hasn't been any tracking of asymptomatics or those with minimal symptoms that thought they had a cold or allergies so weren't tested, so we're all guessing as to how many people have actually had it. I have a 1.2% chance of dying in a car accident. Yet I still get into a car daily. My risk of dying of COVID19 is equivalent to my risk of dying in a car. I don't even have to be in a car, I could be a pedestrian killed by an asymptomatic car. But I still walk in the vicinity of cars. I'll even get closer than 6 feet to a car. And to further the comparison, I am putting others at risk by driving a car as well. I might be the cause of that accident that kills someone else. I take proper precautions, like washing my hands or buckling my seat belt, stay inside if I feel sick and don't drive if I've had anything to drink, but the risk does not fit the panic.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter