Does David's tell you if the renter cancels?

Wow, some people sound greedy. If you get your points back why wouldnt you refund or reschedule for renter. That would be the decent thing to do. That just seems wrong. If Disney does right by the owner you should also follow suit. Even with insurance it doesnt cover a pandemic and cancel for any reason has not been available for weeks.

Just because I get the points back, doesn't mean I can reuse it. I have a reservation out in May with a June use year. There's not a whole lot of options for me there if they cancel today, much less if they did it a week or two before the reservation. There's not a right answer here, someone is going to be left holding the bag - renter, owner, or Disney.

I rented out points today for a January reservation. Obviously the renters are quite aware of the situation happening right now. I also rented points out a few weeks ago for an October reservation when it was pretty certain things were going downhill. Renters are made aware that rentals are final, no refund and it is up to them to either get insurance, though it has become evident that insurance likely won't cover a situation such as this. I had renters coming in during the hurricane July 4 and call David's to check on them and was planning on working with them if needed though apparently they showed up. I'm not sure we can always be flexible due to UY's, banked points and such and though I think it is kindly to help out, renters should not assume that they will be bailed out any more than we can not assume DVC will bail us out...

Maybe I misunderstood the sentiment in the post. This could go round and round. My point was it did not seem as if there were concern for the renters financial loss.
i agree there are many people who live paycheck to paycheck or save years for a Disney vacation. And by no means do I think an owner should put themself in a deficit, just hope they would be as flexible as possible. Just hope this is short lived and much to do about nothing.

As @Sandisw said, most owners only rent out points when they can't use the points themselves that year, or when they need the money. It is definitely possible, and reasonable, if the owner offers to reschedule the reservation, but is unable to offer a refund.

Also, renters with no timeshare experience may not understand that points near expiry lose the bulk of their value, even if they were returned to the owner. Using my situation as an example, I rented borrowed March 2021 points for a December 2020 booking. If DVC returned my points and unborrowed them to the original UY, I'd have a full 12 months (March 2021 to end of Feb 2022) to use them. Since I retain full value of the points, I'd offer a full refund to the renter. If DVC returned those points but doesn't allow un-borrowing, those points would only have a 2 month shelve life before becoming worthless. I would only offer to reschedule the booking for the renter in that situation.

Hope that helps!

Following because we have a reservation from David’s to check in on the 21st.
I looked at my contract and this is the wording

”Should accommodations not be available on date of arrival due to an action or omission by the Owner, including but not limited to negligence on the part of the Owner and after communication with the Intermediary, suitable comparable accommodations for the same dates cannot be secured by the Owner, the Renter will be due a refund limited to the amount paid which is...”

To me this means that I will be refunded, if the dates aren’t available. But it doesn’t state who has to make the payment.
I‘m not a lawyer btw :)

”Should accommodations not be available on date of arrival due to an action or omission by the Owner, including but not limited to negligence on the part of the Owner and after communication with the Intermediary, suitable comparable accommodations for the same dates cannot be secured by the Owner, the Renter will be due a refund limited to the amount paid which is...”

To me this means that I will be refunded, if the dates aren’t available. But it doesn’t state who has to make the payment.

The owner would only be responsible for you to be refunded if they cancel your reservation on you or if they can’t provide you with the room because Disney closes the hotel,

There is no negligence, action, or omission by the owner in this case on the owners part because the park closed. As long as you arrive on the 21st and the room is available, then your contract is fulfilled, Currently, Disney has said they are keeping hotels open.

Now, I am sure that some owners are going to work to try and eschedule trips for renters if the renter requests it, and they have the eligible points to do that, but they are not obligated to do that,

Hopefully, the owner whose points were used for your reservation, if you decide to not go, will be in a position to help you reschedule the trip,

Last edited:
It’s seems like the only ones that are going to lose out in this situation are the customers who rented points. David’s gets to keep their commission and the owner gets to keep the rental fee.

They should refund anyone with a reservation during the closure and figure out the finances internally later. They will lose a lot of business otherwise. I know, I’ll never use them again. I did everything they told me to do, including buying insurance.

[There is also a statement on there website.
And from things that others have posted on boards , it seems as if Disney is going to give owners the points and will not be in holding.
It would make good business for Davids to try to help as many renters as possible.
I am sure there will be a few reactions to that.
I am not trying to argue.

Attachments

• EFD86AB9-8F2A-4818-BFAB-E2DF07488C28.png
    EFD86AB9-8F2A-4818-BFAB-E2DF07488C28.png
    208 KB · Views: 21

It’s seems like the only ones that are going to lose out in this situation are the customers who rented points. David’s gets to keep their commission and the owner gets to keep the rental fee.

They should refund anyone with a reservation during the closure and figure out the finances internally later. They will lose a lot of business otherwise. I know, I’ll never use them again. I did everything they told me to do, including buying insurance.

If you have adequate insurance how are you losing out?

Wow, some people sound greedy. If you get your points back why wouldnt you refund or reschedule for renter. That would be the decent thing to do. That just seems wrong. If Disney does right by the owner you should also follow suit. Even with insurance it doesnt cover a pandemic and cancel for any reason has not been available for weeks.
I have a rented out points for April. I have not been contacted. If I am asked to reschedule I will. If I can’t I don’t plan to offer a refund.

There is also a statement on there website.
And from things that others have posted on boards , it seems as if Disney is going to give owners the points and will not be in holding.
It would make good business for Davids to try to help as many renters as possible.
I am sure there will be a few reactions to that.
I am not trying to argue.
Holding points are restricted in such a way that the owner cannot use them to make a reservation that is more than 60 nights into the future. It’s a penalty for last-minute cancellations. Waiving the holding penalty is a kindness that DVC extends on rare, extreme cases. However, getting back points doesn’t make them as valuable as they were on the day that you rented them.

For instance, I have an April UY for one of my contracts. Getting them back today would not give me a lot of time to use them before they expire on the night of March 31. That’s why it’s a courtesy that DVC would make an exception to their banking deadline and permit me to bank my 2019 points. But, let’s say that I had already banked 2018 points into my 2019 UY. DVC will not permit me to bank those points again. I either use those by March 31 of this year or lose them.

David’s is doing what they can by reaching out to owners and asking them to show compassion to their renters. It’s an unprecedented move. They didn’t do it during any of the hurricane events that closed parks but not resorts. However, they cannot control the decisions made by individual owners. They cannot force the owners to make changes or give back money they received in good faith. The contract assures owners that they are not obligated to do anything if the renter wants to cancel or even change their reservation to another day.

I can understand the frustration that renters feel, being at the mercy of the owner with whom they had been matched. But in fairness, those renters entered into a contract that specifically states that there are no changes, no cancellations, no refunds. You cannot blame David’s if an owner expects that contract to be honored.

First of all David's is very clear regarding no refunds. It is up to the renter to accept the risk that comes with renting. I have said this before, if a renter is risk averse, don't rent. We've all lost a fortune on our 401K's - risk, it happens. Owners of DVC own because they want to control their points and be able to cancel without risk but they have paid out of their pocket for this control.

Disney will reserve a room for you that can be cancelled and refunded. This has always been the case...and is another choice that could have been made. People seek out brokers/owners to save money on DVC and are clearly advised of the risks.

The owner has purchased the contract, perhaps paid interest on a mortgage, paid MF's and pays David's - and income taxes on the rental...there isn't much left after that and that is the reality. Owners rent because they have excess points and often those are expiring and can't be rescheduled any old day/year...it isn't a money making opportunity and owners are not greedy.

Last year, I had a renter arriving on the day of a hurricane and called David's to check on them but apparently they arrived. I wasn't even sure I could help if I wanted due to restrictions on points use and availability. I was not going to offer any type of refund. Yesterday, I had people rent points for January so, people are still renting points and willing to take the risk when they could have reserved through Disney...choices, we all make them.

I'm sorry you are in this situation, but many travelers worldwide are being confronted with circumstances never seen before and pointing fingers and being angry won't help. The closest comparison for me is 9/11 and the immediate shock and changes we all went through. We will all face losses from this situation in different ways, unfortunately...the best thing we can all do is be kind to one another. Be well.

I’m an owner and I rent 1-2 reservations per year. I have a strict no refund policy that is clearly spelled out by contract.

I have a renter with an early April reservation.

Two days ago we talked, and I offered to reschedule or refund them to make things work out. I already offer by contract my willingness to make reasonable attempts to rebook considering availability and holding rules, but I’m under no obligation to offer a refund.

But this is an unusual situation and people are under stress and I don’t want to be a further cause of that stress. This to me, is a major advantage of directly renting from an owner. I’m not setting some huge precedent for my business model by being compassionate. I can afford to do the right thing.

That said it’s an early April reservation on my April UY points. If holding is waived, the points are good for a year.

Renter is considering options and will probably rebook later ...

We have three points rental bookings in October through David’s. We live in the UK. If this situation goes on I fully expect to be unable to travel. We will lose the money for those bookings. It was a risk I took when booking and I don’t think our travel insurance covers points rentals or pandemics so there we go.

If Disney closes the resorts and then announces that they will allow owners to bank points or use them again in the future somehow (I.e. that the owner will not lose the points and will still be able to do something with them in the future) then I would hope that some of that goodwill might pass along the chain for us. But there is no obligation on either owner or rental firm to do so.

I will also follow because I have a reservation through David's to check in on the 24th.

I have NO INTENTION to attempt to cancel and PRAY that the Disney resorts REMAIN OPEN since I am not entitled to a refund if I cancel. I have already made T times for golf and dining reservations at the resorts and Disney Springs. Of course I had planned to spend my days at the parks but I will go with PLAN B now.

While I sympathize , this is an agreement between two individuals who use a middle man,

Renters save a great deal over going with Disney. But, what you get for those savings, is a non refundable reservation because owned by another person and not a company.

Again, in this instance, as long as the hotel is open, it would be a renter who chooses to no go.

I definitely think many owners will be helPaul to renters to reschedule but points that were offered may not be still eligible when a renter wants to reschedule. Its not as simple as it sounds when dealing with a DVC reservstion.

I know I would certainly do my best to reschedule a renter, but if the renter didn’t want to, or my points wouldnt work for when they could go, I’d feel bad, but I wouldn’t be offering a refund, unless I could rent a reservation to someone else using any points I got back.

Davids is a broker and doesn’t own the actual points, So, if the owner that holds the reservstion wants to keep to th terms of the contract, its not like David’s can just get it rebooked, Theyd have to find and pay another owner,

It really is one of the risks of renting, And, I am going to venture to guess that this situation will play a role in the rental market for those that couldn’t get trips rescheduled and are out the money.

Last edited:
Or even if they have the money, they may need it for something important, such as food, rent, or expected medical bills. Many people live paycheck to paycheck and we are in uncertain times.
If I was living paycheck to paycheck I wouldn't be owning DVC. As DVC is not a staple but a luxury I would sell my points and not worry about paying MF and buy food etc. as you put it. Just my opinion .

If Disney closes the resorts and then announces that they will allow owners to bank points or use them again in the future somehow (I.e. that the owner will not lose the points and will still be able to do something with them in the future) then I would hope that some of that goodwill might pass along the chain for us. But there is no obligation on either owner or rental firm to do so.

If Disney closes the resorts and makes the renters whole then I would expect the renter to work with me to move my trip to a later date. Otherwise I will finally have a case to take to "Judge Judy".

If Disney closes the resorts and makes the renters whole then I would expect the renter to work with me to move my trip to a later date. Otherwise I will finally have a case to take to "Judge Judy".

I agree with you that if Disney closes the resort, then a renter would be due a refund as the owner cant provide the room reservstion,

But, making a owner whole doesn’t mean they can accommodate the rebooking of a room, Points have dates attached to them.

Other than resort closing though, renters should not expect, as tough as it is, for the terms of their contract to not be enforced,

Other than resort closing though, renters should not expect, as tough as it is, for the terms of their contract to not be enforced,

That‘s was my point in my comment above - that only the renters would lose out. I meant if they close. Which I’m guessing might happen.

That‘s was my point in my comment above - that only the renters would lose out. I meant if they close. Which I’m guessing might happen.

Renters lose only if the resort remains open and they don’t still go because they took a risk booking something that is non-changeable snd non refundable.

But, if the resort closes, which indeed could happen, then renters should be reschedule or refunded by the owner because they arent able to fulfill the contract for the renter.

Happened to me with a Priceline car rental. Lost $135 when a snow storm prevented me from getting to FL Because the car was there waiting for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter