Does David's tell you if the renter cancels?

I was just thinking there will be lots of Priceline, airline bundle, etc complications - it is just not DVC. All these travel issues will take a while to unravel and many people won't be happy. I lost a SW vacation deposit in the past and will likely have SW credits expire this year if I can't travel (had surgery recently - yikes don't dare get on a plane). It will get ugly but there are worse issues right now for many people around the world...

If everyone can do just one random act of kindness now, no matter how small...maybe it will make things just a little better for us all. Peace.

For instance, I have an April UY for one of my contracts. Getting them back today would not give me a lot of time to use them before they expire on the night of March 31. That’s why it’s a courtesy that DVC would make an exception to their banking deadline and permit me to bank my 2019 points. But, let’s say that I had already banked 2018 points into my 2019 UY. DVC will not permit me to bank those points again. I either use those by March 31 of this year or lose them.

Wait, I saw it wouldn’t go into holding. But did they extend banking as well? I’m past my banking period (January) but if they’re allowing me to bank up until my UY (June) or let me roll my borrowed points back to 2021, that would change what I’d be willing to do for my renter.

Wait, I saw it wouldn’t go into holding. But did they extend banking as well? I’m past my banking period (January) but if they’re allowing me to bank up until my UY (June) or let me roll my borrowed points back to 2021, that would change what I’d be willing to do for my renter.
There have been reports of Disney allowing people to bank points to the next UY in your circumstances, even though the banking window has expired, and also allowing borrowed points to be returned to the UY they were borrowed from,

Yes, I got my points out of holding and they were returned to my Dec 2020 UY.

I really think that the majority of owners with rental contracts will work to try and help a renter if They can. As you said, it would depend on what happens with points,

If someone booked a renter on banked points...and members are not being allowed To bank them again...and those points expire in a month or two, they might not be able to reschedule.

Yes, I got my points out of holding and they were returned to my Dec 2020 UY.

I really think that the majority of owners with rental contracts will work to try and help a renter if They can. As you said, it would depend on what happens with points,

If someone booked a renter on banked points...and members are not being allowed To bank them again...and those points expire in a month or two, they might not be able to reschedule.
I remember reading some time ago that soon to expire points can be exchanged into RCI, which will extend the time available to use them? If this is correct this might be a possible option for those in this situation.

I (owner) made a reservation for someone through David's. They were suppose to be checking in today. I have an April use year and the points used for the reservation expire at the end of the month.

I hadn't heard anything from David's so I reached out to David's see if the renters wanted to try to cancel. They did. They had already canceled their plane tickets.

Unfortunately when I reached out to Disney after a total of over 120 minutes on various holds I was told there was nothing to be done. They were not making any exceptions & the points will expire at the end of the month.

Disappointing but I can certainly understand Disney's stance because extending the expiration would cause issues with future inventory.

At least I can say I tried.

[There is also a statement on there website.
And from things that others have posted on boards , it seems as if Disney is going to give owners the points and will not be in holding.
It would make good business for Davids to try to help as many renters as possible.
I am sure there will be a few reactions to that.
I am not trying to argue.

i think that’s fair. The renter entered into a non-refundable contract, it’s in bold twice on the contract. The only exception is if the accommodation is not available due to an act or omission by the member. The accommodation is still available. Trying to work with the renter and member to find alternate dates is reasonable. But the points used may not allow that. It‘s a risk the renter took.

The thing that hit me is I got into a “discussion” with someone on a Facebook group a couple of weeks ago. They said being a member is foolish, you lose money. They said renting is much cheaper with no long term commitment. I disagreed that renting is cheaper over the long term. She kept calling me a fool. Well, this is the risk with renting. And I love being a member :-) .

My reservation has been cancelled in My Disney Experience. So it seems the owner has cancelled. I just got off the phone with David's, but they haven't heard back from the owners yet.

With everything going on, I'm just wondering...

I know they don't offer refunds so there is no reason that they would have to tell you, but I am just curious if anyone knows if David would notify the point owner that the renter is canceling a trip?

So to answer the original question: 'Yes, it does seem that David's does let the owners know when someone cancels" :)

I (owner) made a reservation for someone through David's. They were suppose to be checking in today. I have an April use year and the points used for the reservation expire at the end of the month.

I hadn't heard anything from David's so I reached out to David's see if the renters wanted to try to cancel. They did. They had already canceled their plane tickets.

Unfortunately when I reached out to Disney after a total of over 120 minutes on various holds I was told there was nothing to be done. They were not making any exceptions & the points will expire at the end of the month.

Disappointing but I can certainly understand Disney's stance because extending the expiration would cause issues with future inventory.

Were these points regular April 2019 points or were they banked from 2018? If they were regular 2019 points I have heard several examples of Disney granting an exception to allow them to be banked to 2020 even though the banking window has closed.

First of all David's is very clear regarding no refunds....

We will all face losses from this situation in different ways, unfortunately...the best thing we can all do is be kind to one another. Be well.

Yeah, I think I was just going through one of my stages of grief - anger or grumpiness or something. I'm at the final stages now of "dealing with it"

My reservation has been cancelled in My Disney Experience. So it seems the owner has cancelled. I just got off the phone with David's, but they haven't heard back from the owners yet.

Did you let David's or the renter know that you wanted to cancel the reservation? (or did they cancel it without reaching out to you first through David's) I do not want my rental cancelled unless the resorts are closed.

Were these points regular April 2019 points or were they banked from 2018? If they were regular 2019 points I have heard several examples of Disney granting an exception to allow them to be banked to 2020 even though the banking window has closed.

They were banked from 2018. That was actually why they were rented out. It was only 2 days in a studio so at least it's not as bad as some people who had full weeks booked.

Did you let David's or the renter know that you wanted to cancel the reservation? (or did they cancel it without reaching out to you first through David's) I do not want my rental cancelled unless the resorts are closed.
I told David's that we were cancelling on Thursday (Or maybe Wednesday night, I forget)

They were banked from 2018. That was actually why they were rented out. It was only 2 days in a studio so at least it's not as bad as some people who had full weeks booked.
Yes, that seems to be the one situation where Disney is making no concessions at all. But I wonder if those points could be transferred to RCI for possible future use?

Did you get your 30 percent?

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I was just going through one of my stages of grief - anger or grumpiness or something. I'm at the final stages now of "dealing with it"
This situation sucks... AND it takes a lot to admit to being angry and we all understand - we are Disney people and none of us want our long awaited vacation cancelled - money doesn't grow on trees! Somehow, hopefully it will all work out for you :tink:

I understand if the points were expiring or if Disney did not allow the owner to recoup the points. And i get if a renter cancels for some other reason. I just think if the owner was made whole by Disney , they should at least offer to pass that on. This is not a normal situation and so many could take a financial hit. If the parks and resorts are closed , it seems reasonable that Disney would be accommodating to members. I am sure there would be owners that would want to do right by the renter.

It really isn't that simple. Owners points might expire before the renters want to move the dates to or even if not the later dates in the year will be so busy it might be impossible to rebook. If the owner ends up in the position where they cannot use or rent those points that were rented it is unreasonable to expect them to reimburse the renter when the renter knew on booking that there were no refunds.

Yes, that seems to be the one situation where Disney is making no concessions at all. But I wonder if those points could be transferred to RCI for possible future use?

It wasn't offered by Disney as an option when I was on the phone with them. Whether that was an oversight or not I couldn't say.
In my case it didn't matter because I have the contract with David's. If I cancel it on my end I would need to give a refund.

I feel as if people are reading too much into this. I have only said if the owner is able to be flexible than that is the decent thing to do. I never said they are expected to refund a renter. Simply hope that instead of just saying there is a contract or the renter knew the risks, people would be considerate to others situation. And i also mean the renter as well. I dont expect anyone to do anything. With that said , I like to believe that most people are going to try to do right by themselves.
It seems sad to me that some would only consider the other persons situation because they have a contractural right to the other person.
NOT ALL , I know many have said they would do what they could to find a mutual solution.
But there are much worse things today than losing money for a vacation.
And I am not angry by any means at anyone. If my biggest issue is losing some hard earned money , but i have my health as well as my loved ones -I AM GOOD.
I can save money again and plan a new vacation and am happy and grateful that I have that opportunity.
As another post said
“DVC is a luxury”
I hope all parties come out of this well.

[QUOTE If they let me roll my borrowed points back to 2021, that would change what I’d be willing to do for my renter.
[/QUOTE]
Same here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter