• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Dog obituary?

LSU,,it was an example & maybe some people do care. And words do matter at times. So just separate them, not hard to do. That is why they have front page news and B section page 14 news.

I fully understand that you'd feel more grief over the loss of your cat than you'd feel over the loss of my child and I'm okay with that. It makes sense. You live with your cat and you (presumably) love your cat; my child is a stranger to you. Personally, I think it'd be sweet to have my, or a loved one's, obit placed next to an animal's, but I know plenty of people don't share the same love for animals that I do so I have no problem with newspapers keeping them separate. I just wanted to address the blanket statement made upthread that the grief felt for the loss of an animal can't compare to the loss of a human. That's not always the case for everybody in every situation.

I think we are making same point but from different directions.

DH has saved his favorite dog's ashes, and not only wants them co-mingled, he would love for the obituary to include their bond. Heck, I probably have more pictures of them together than I have of DH and I ;).

To each their own.

Terri[/QUOTED
I actually knew a lady who was buried with her dog’s ashes so they were in the same cemetery.

I'm not sure I agree, per the thoughtful point made by smokeyblue. As they pointed out, would you really want the obituary of one of your loved one to be right under that of someone's pet?

It wouldn't bother me. I don't own a dog and never have but I respect life, all life.

I don't see anyone here being "outraged" just keep them separate from human beings. Your dog is not the same as my mother. Honestly some people all they have is their animal, I get it, but keep them out of the human obits.
They arent called human obits though, they are just obits.
My dog is not the same as your mom, your mom is not the same as my mom either.
Either way what is next to your obit doesnt impact your own obit in any way.

No one is sayIng you don't feel grief but keep them separate, not sure why that is a problem. So if your child's obit is next to my cats that is the same?

What do you mean is it the same? Grief isnt a competition. I dont need to be telling someone that the grief they are feeling isnt the same as the grief I would feel for my child. Nor does my grief impact their own loss.
The only reason I can forsee being upset about an obit next to a loved ones is if that person had killed them. (although again I am not blowing $40 per 6 words for each day I want it to run)

Ok so when my parents, grandparents, child, spouse starts licking their own genitals, sniffing butts & grooming themselves with their tongues, I'll put them in the same categories.
You are welcome to not put an obit in for your pet. You however dont get to control what other people do.

LSU,,it was an example & maybe some people do care. And words do matter at times. So just separate them, not hard to do. That is why they have front page news and B section page 14 news.
I don’t have a problem with them being separate, but just don’t think it’s a big deal & just can’t comprehend why it matters what is on the same page. Do ppl really look at how their loved ones obit are placed on the page? I doubt would even notice. What if the obit next to your child’s is that of a convited child abuser? Just b/c it’s a person doesn’t mean it’s good.

Yeah as really a dog is like a family member. Had many cats and dogs. And they do become part of the family.

Ok so when my parents, grandparents, child, spouse starts licking their own genitals, sniffing butts & grooming themselves with their tongues, I'll put them in the same categories.

I have no idea what people do behind closed doors nor do I want to. i will say I've loved and respected my cats more than some of my relatives.

Where do you stop short of being undignified? What if someone put an obituary in for their pet turkey? I am an animal lover and I'm usually quite liberal about most things, but I think pets should not be treated like humans.

Or their pet worm? Or Anty-ant? (That's what my daughter called her 'pet' black ants she'd trap in containers in the yard.) Maybe only mammals count? I don't know, but some people are getting too nuts about their pets. I get the emotional issues - some people are really lonely and a dog or cat is pretty much the world to them. But they are still pets. Who would you save first, your child or your dog?

Or their pet worm? Or Anty-ant? (That's what my daughter called her 'pet' black ants she'd trap in containers in the yard.) Maybe only mammals count? I don't know, but some people are getting too nuts about their pets. I get the emotional issues - some people are really lonely and a dog or cat is pretty much the world to them. But they are still pets. Who would you save first, your child or your dog?
My child, of course. But, my dog or random person, my dog. Sorry.

Why is life or grief a contest to who is more valuable?

Why is life or grief a contest to who is more valuable?

So you do not eat animals? How about plants? Never use bug spray, tick/flea ointment, etc? Not a contest, but definitely a spectrum.

Think of it this way - does a firefighter risk his life for a goldfish?

So you would look that person in the face and say, sorry my dog's life is more valuable than yours?
Never can say for sure til I’m in that position & hope I never am. But, if I had to decide now, I would say yes. Wouldn’t make a point to tell the person my dog’s life is more valuable, but, instinctively, I would go to save my dog first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter