• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Dog obituary?

Never seen it before. I think it crosses the line and the newspaper should have not allowed it. My local paper allows people to take out ad space in the classifieds to make pubic thank you's, make congratulations (anniversaries, birthdays, graduation, etc) or to memorialize someone. The newspaper should have suggested something like this instead to preserve the dignity of obituary section. If I saw a family member's obituary posted next to that of a dog, I would be very upset.

It seems like I've heard about that before, but it was for a dog that served on the police force. I can see doing a obit for a police or military dog, but not your average pet.

I think it's sweet. A dog's obituary in the newspaper does not negate a human's obituary in the newspaper.
Where do you stop short of being undignified? What if someone put an obituary in for their pet turkey? I am an animal lover and I'm usually quite liberal about most things, but I think pets should not be treated like humans.

I personally think all obituaries are a waste of of money, newspapers charge mega bucks for them. I have certainly told me kids not to waste the money when I go.

Where do you stop short of being undignified? What if someone put an obituary in for their pet turkey? I am an animal lover and I'm usually quite liberal about most things, but I think pets should not be treated like humans.

If someone feels the need to do so and it eases their grief I don’t care if it’s tbeir pet dog, lamb or mouse.
There is a grief process to loosing pets that really doesn’t differ from loosing a person.
I am not sure how any obituary near your loved ones makes any impact on theirs.

If someone feels the need to do so and it eases their grief I don’t care if it’s tbeir pet dog, lamb or mouse.
There is a grief process to loosing pets that really doesn’t differ from loosing a person.
I am not sure how any obituary near your loved ones makes any impact on theirs.

I agree if it makes them feel better but do not put it with human obits. Obits are a money maker for papers, maybe a pet obit section would make them some cash.

Honestly obits on FB, Instagram reach more of the target audience now.

I agree with others that it should not be in the regular obituary section. I have always mourned deeply when my pets die, and can certainly understand the need to eulogize them, but would still not compare that loss to the loss of a human loved one.

I agree with others that it should not be in the regular obituary section. I have always mourned deeply when my pets die, and can certainly understand the need to eulogize them, but would still not compare that loss to the loss of a human loved one.
It’s not a comparison. It’s just there. It’s not like it read (I’m assuming it didn’t), “oh you think that’s bad? You lost your relative? I just lost my dog.” Not you specifically, but why does everything have to be an outrage. Who cares what other ppl do? Does everyone always read all of the obits on the page where their loved ones obit is posted? Don’t get why ppl can’t just worry about themselves.

It’s not a comparison. It’s just there. It’s not like it read (I’m assuming it didn’t), “oh you think that’s bad? You lost your relative? I just lost my dog.” Not you specifically, but why does everything have to be an outrage. Who cares what other ppl do? Does everyone always read all of the obits on the page where their loved ones obit is posted? Don’t get why ppl can’t just worry about themselves.

I don't see anyone here being "outraged" just keep them separate from human beings. Your dog is not the same as my mother. Honestly some people all they have is their animal, I get it, but keep them out of the human obits.

But grief isn't a competition. No one can say that the pain they feel losing X is always greater/less than the pain someone else would feel losing Y.

I wasn't too broken up when any of my grandparents died. I liked them well enough, but they were old and death is what eventually happens to everybody and it wasn't a particularly emotional turn of events for me. However, I would never think that my own feelings should become the "benchmark of grief" for everyone else who loses a grandparent. I understand that someone else may feel that loss much more profoundly for any number of reasons. By the same token, I've experienced a few pet losses that have absolutely crushed me and those losses weighed much heavier on me. How deeply one grieves has little to do with the title of the relationship (grandparent, cousin, dog) and everything to do with the actual bond felt within that relationship.

But grief isn't a competition. No one can say that the pain they feel losing X is always greater/less than the pain someone else would feel losing Y.

I wasn't too broken up when any of my grandparents died. I liked them well enough, but they were old and death is what eventually happens to everybody and it wasn't a particularly emotional turn of events for me. However, I would never think that my own feelings should become the "benchmark of grief" for everyone else who loses a grandparent. I understand that someone else may feel that loss much more profoundly for any number of reasons. By the same token, I've experienced a few pet losses that have absolutely crushed me and those losses weighed much heavier on me. How deeply one grieves has little to do with the title of the relationship (grandparent, cousin, dog) and everything to do with the actual bond felt within that relationship.

No one is sayIng you don't feel grief but keep them separate, not sure why that is a problem. So if your child's obit is next to my cats that is the same?

I think it's sweet. A dog's obituary in the newspaper does not negate a human's obituary in the newspaper.

I'm not sure I agree, per the thoughtful point made by smokeyblue. As they pointed out, would you really want the obituary of one of your loved one to be right under that of someone's pet?

We don't bury people in pet cemeteries, nor do human cemeteries allow pets to be buried in them. So why are some here saying it's fine to mix human and pet obituaries? :rolleyes1

DH has saved his favorite dog's ashes, and not only wants them co-mingled, he would love for the obituary to include their bond. Heck, I probably have more pictures of them together than I have of DH and I ;).

To each their own.

Terri

I don't see anyone here being "outraged" just keep them separate from human beings. Your dog is not the same as my mother. Honestly some people all they have is their animal, I get it, but keep them out of the human obits.[/QUOTE
Don’t say “your” b/c I never took an obit for a pet. And your mother isn’t the same (to me) as MY father so I couldn’t careless about any of them except my friends & family. It’s just words on a page. IMO, who cares?! Whatever is else on the page doesn’t effect it. Sometimes papers have ads on the side or top too.

No one is sayIng you don't feel grief but keep them separate, not sure why that is a problem. So if your child's obit is next to my cats that is the same?
I fully understand that you'd feel more grief over the loss of your cat than you'd feel over the loss of my child and I'm okay with that. It makes sense. You live with your cat and you (presumably) love your cat; my child is a stranger to you. Personally, I think it'd be sweet to have my, or a loved one's, obit placed next to an animal's, but I know plenty of people don't share the same love for animals that I do so I have no problem with newspapers keeping them separate. I just wanted to address the blanket statement made upthread that the grief felt for the loss of an animal can't compare to the loss of a human. That's not always the case for everybody in every situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter