• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dona's Wish Journal

Sometimes it seems like we're always putting off our goals until some vague time in the future called "Once". "Once the New Year rolls around...", "Once I have my new job...", "Once I retire...", "Once the kids are in school...", "Once the kids are OUT of school..." Sound familiar? By waiting for Once to get here, we waste time and frustrate our desire to do what we really want. It's a fact of life that every time one potential distraction disappears, it's quickly replaced with a new one. There will always be something that can stand in your way - if you let it. Ask yourself: are these distractions real reasons, or just good excuses for putting something off? Goals cannot be started in the future. The laws of time and nature dictate that you can only act in the present. You are here, today. So are your goals. The only good time to start is right now.

I need to keep this in mind. I feel like I have been just drifting along since Jan. I need to get my act together.

Our weekend of camping had some good and bad points.

We were driving up with some friends. we thought that we were leaving at 1 but they called and we didn't leave until 2:15 and at that we had to go back to their house for something before we hit the road.

We got to the camp and unloaded our gear and set up our cots and chairs. We used the tents that the scouts will use next week. They were set up the first week in June.

We had gotten a call before we left that we could not go tubing. With all the rain and snow melt this season the river was running very fast. A normal 3 hour trip would only take 1 hour. So no one was tubing. they were letting people raft but they were very cautious about that. I did not want to do that. I can swim but I prefer lakes and pools. I was afraid of water until I was about 10 and I still have a very big fear. I have never rafted and I didn't want to start this past weekend. Besides the water was COLD. I hate cold water.

We had dinner at a little place that my dh and his friend go to every year. I had a great grilled veggie panini but it was too big and I took some of the bread off and just ate the veggies. Then we met up with some other people who had also come up for the weekend. Dh had a beer and chocolate cake. I had 2 bites of it but that was all since I thought it was too dry.

I had a great night sleep and we got up almost at 7. All meals were included in our reservation because the kids were starting to come up to get the camp ready for summer camp. It was really nice that they had fresh fruit for every meal. I missed the make your omlet on Sat and had pancakes. For lunch they had sandwiches but also some hot dishes, one of which was grilled veggies.

After breakfast dh and I went for a hike around the lake. It was little bit more than I wanted to do but I made it. Dh stepped in one spot and almost lost both his sandles. He got them back and had to wash them off before he proceeded on the rest of the hike. We got back to the campsite (which was uphill and I layed down for a few minutes and next thing I knew it was 45 mnutes later.

After lunch we went to Bushkill Falls. It is called the Niagra of PA. I have been there before. We did one of the shorter hikes but it was beautiful. Since they had so much water the falls were beautiful. SO much water rushing down. If I get a chance I will post a couple of pictures.

We got back in time for dinner. They had prime rib and I added a salad. We skipped dessert since we had ice cream as a snack at the falls.

After dinner we went back to the campsite and I knitted while a couple of other people read. We had a campfire and I only had one smore.

Yesterday was another story. we packed up before breakfast (old boy scout habit that dh has). We left soon after breakfast (scrambled eggs and fruit). Our friends were driving. They wanted to go to their cabin in NY state because friends of theirs were up there and told them that the porch had some problems. Our friends are going up in two weeks to fix it so they wanted to stop and see what they needed to bring up. we thought we were only going for a quick stop. My gf started walking the property. We were there for an hour. After we left there we had to stop for lunch sinceit was now 12. We never got home until 4. It was along time in the car.

I did a lot of walking, especially up hill and a lot of steps at the falls so I was very stiff yesterday. I am feeling better today but I was very sore yesterday.

We had a good time but we decided that I am not going with our friends in 2 weeks to work on their cabin. We thought it would be good to keep her our of the guys hair but we found out another couple were going up so it was getting too crowded. Dh may go up but I think he is still thinking about it.

We had a great time and got to know some scouters that we never knew before. I will do this again next year. It was nice not to have to cook.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Have a nice evening.

Hi Dona,

sounds like you had a nice weekend, with lots of exercise. Sounds like so much of it was also relaxing. Love the campfires. and only one smore.... outstanding!

Knee very sore this morning. It was feeling so good yesterday I don't know what happened but I guess this is the way it goes.

Rotten night sleep the last couple of nights. Dennis has been snoring a lot no matter how he sleeps.

We did find a paint for the house.

Went to the wake for Mary Ann F's mother.

Breakfast cheerios and milk and some almonds
Lunch shrimp and macaroni salad lemonade
dinner pork chop green beans and roasted potatoes
snack apple and almond butter some chocolate chips some grapes

I need to stay away from the chocolate chips

Cleaned the kitchen counter today and I have more room for things

Have to wash the table runner and baby quilts since the cats barfed on them.

Still need to wash the dishes from dinner and then work on BL stats.

Good Thursday morning everyone.

Spent the afternoon yesterday pciking blueberries. I went with a friend. She brought along her 2 daughters and their 3 cousins. It was very sunny and almost too hot since we didn't leave until 12:30. We ended up in a patch where you had to search for the ripe ones. There were a lot that still had to ripen so it was a little slow going. She had gone the day before and was in another section that needed to be picked since she got a full bucket by herself in 45 minutes. The ones she got on the first day were very sweet. The ones we were getting yesterday were a little tart just the way I like them so I got all the berries yesterday. I got 49 pounds. I put them in the freezer and have them all winter long in smoothies. Today's job is to get them into the freezer.

Today is my youngest's birthday. He turns 21. How did I get so old? He is coming home today to celebrate. His gf is coming on Sat morning so we can go into the city. We are going with our sons and their gfs to see Wicked. We still have to decide how we are getting into the city and where we are going to eat.

QOTD, Wednesday June 29th: water. how do you get your water in each day? drink glasses throughout the day? fill a water bottle? drink it by a certain time?

I always have a water bottle with me. When I am at school they have a frig with ice and water so I fill up my bottle a couple of times during the day. I can't drink too later because then I will be up and down all night.

Disney QOTD, Wednesday June 29th: When was your last trip to Disney? (WDW, DL, DCL, AbD) When is your next trip?? tell us a little something about it!

My last trip was 2 years ago. I was recovering from bunion surgery. I was recovering fairly quickly and inthe middle of July (3 weeks from the surgery) my dh says "Why don't we go to DW?" I had the plane and the rooom, with a discount, booked within an hour. We had a great time. It was the first time it was just us in a long time.

Our next trip was just decided on Father's Day. My dsis and her dh are DVC members. They are thinking about using their points for a 3 bedroom at BLT. It sleeps 13 so all the kids could also bring their friends. BLT is the one place I have wanted to stay. It is on my to stay list. It will be next Aug. We will be celbrating ds2's graduation from college. We have traveled together before but never stayed at the same hotel before so I don't know how this is going to work.

Off to get some things done around here.

Have a happy and healthy day.

Good Saturday moring everyone

Just a short note. We leave at 8:30 to go to the city to see Wicked. I can't wait. The only bad part is that a friend can't wait to talk to me about it and she is one of those people with unbelievable memory. She can pick something apart like you would not believe. I like to take in the entire thing.

We are going to eat at Ellen's Stardust Dinner. Burgers and things. We will be doing a lot of walking in the city so that should help.

Friday's QOTD - With everyone going places and attending parties this weekend, does anyone have any foods that they make that are on the healthier side, or that they alter to make them healthier? If so, please share.

I may make a veggie try for my friend's house. That is the only party we are going to.

Friday's Disney QOTD - Have you ever been to WDW, DL or on DCL during the 4th? If so, was there anything special about that trip that you enjoyed?

I hate very large crowds so we have never been there on a holiday and have no plans to go on special days like that.

Maria Dona -- We're awaiting ds's final report card which will be mailed. He told us he doesn't want to know the grades if they come while he's in Missouri this week. I don't blame him, he should relax and let those finals go. Next year he has algebra. We are quickly approaching the point where I cannot help with math. I took Trig, but I have no idea how it works. That must have been a blessing in your house when your guys were younger -- I'm sure they never got to a level you couldn't understand!

Good luck on his report card. I have been out of college 34 years so when ds got past calc 2 in college I turned to him and said "You are on your own. I can no longer help you. It has been too long"

On the other hand when the boys would ask us to read their papers we realized that if we could spot the mistakes they must be pretty bad. We are not great writers.

Off to get some things done before we leave. We are taking the train in. It is $30 per person to ride 10 minutes and get the train. If we wanted to drive and take a ferry it would be $18 per person, ferry parking, tolls and gas and it would take the same amount of time so we are taking the train.

Have a happy and healthy day.

Happy 4th of July

SOrry I didn't get on yesterday. With ds2 going back it was quiet and I just tried to enjoy it. I did feel a little sad with ds going back. It was rainy most of the day and I did enjoy that.

We had a great time on Sunday. The train left at 9:15 and we were in the city by 10:45. We walked to Ellen's Stardust dinner by 11:10 (18 blocks in 25 minutes). I thought it was too loud. If we weren't so close to the speaker I might have enjoyed it a little more. The food was okay. Dh had a turkey wrap that had turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. I may try to make it at home one day. He liked it.

We had some time so we walked back to Times Square and went to the Disney store. Very nice. It is 2 stories so we got separated from the kids and I was able to text them to see where they were. Dh and I were downstairs waiting for them. On the wall to our left every now and then something else would be projjected on the wall above the skyline of NY. Once it was tigger and pooh, Another time it was fireworks, another time Tinkerbell, another time the lanterns from Tangled. There was also a tree with projections on it, from frogs to fairies to bambi characters.

We then went to the M&M store and loved it. We then went to the Hershey store. I did not buy anything in both stores.

Wicked was wonderful show. The number at the end of the first act was amazing. I love the way it foreshadows Wizard of Oz. If you haven't seen it try and get there.

Ds read the train schedule wrong so we kind of rushed to get back to the train station but we ended up with a half an hour wait.

We are going to a friend's house for the 4th. The pool has been closed for the last year so I miss that. I am bringing a veggie platter so that I have something to eat. I may bring my knitting to keep my hands busy.

Have a happy and healthy 4th.

My day has taken a different turn. My gf who has hosted a 4th of July party for over 14 years is not having it this year. I invited her and her dh to come over for dinner. I went out and got a few things and just have a few things to do. I am keeping it simple, chicken legs, hamburgers, hot dogs, veggies and dip and nachos and salsa. My gf is bringing dessert which she can then bring home with her.

I am enjoying just sitting here watching 1776. I love the movie since it took almost all the original cast from Broadway. I have seen the movie many times and seen the theater production a couple of times. It is a hard show to do since there are only 2 female roles. Most high schools never do it but it is powerful show.

Have a safe evening.

Breakfast fruit salad milk and bagel.
lunch potato salad blueberry cobbler
snack almonds

Didn't do too bad with dinner. Some chips, veggies, hamburger, hot dog and a chicken leg. Did have a wine cooler and a pepsi then two cookies.

We just got a phone call from my sil about my dnephew. I feel bad for him but I also feel bad for my dh because he is getting involved in something that he was involved with over 20 years ago.

His one sister was diagnosed as a manic/depressive over 20 years ago. We tried to help her to make it easier on his parents. we paid a couple of her bills. we distanced ourselves from the problem for a few years because we were raising our boys. She went through the usual of taking medication and not that they all seem to go through. She has been pretty stable the last few years. We are even helping her out by mowing her lawn even though she lives 40 minutes away.

Her son went through some health issues when he was younger with seizures. About 5 years ago stress got the better of him and he was hospitalized for a while. The other day we found out that he had lost his job of 11 years and we had no idea why. tonight one of my other sil's called us and filled us in.

He has been having problems for a few months now. He got engaged in feb and we thought things were going well. Apparently not. He did not get the promotion he thought he was going to get in May and things have been going downhill from there. Last week he was fired because he broke some equipment. He was not arrested but he doesn't have a job. His fiance wanted him to go to the doctor but he has been refusing to do so. She is telling everyone that he has changed. we don't know what is going to happen there.

Now my nephew is home with his mother. My dh is going down tomorrow without me to see what is going on. I know dh is not going to sleep tonight

Please pray for our family. thanks

Nephew is starting to feel better and his is living with dsil.

Went to mow her lawn and he is still living there. ONLY he brought more stuff with him that is now in the backyard which slows us up when we are mowing.

But the thing that really got to me was the lawn needed mowing and he made no push towards doing it. I know they didn't know we were coming but he was out kayaking. We haven't kayaked all summer and here we were cutting his mom's lawn. I did get upset but we got the lawn mowed. dennis knew I was upset.

The killer of the entire morning was dsil asked Dennis to install a smoke detector. Dennis told her to have her son do it. I don't know if he would have done it if he hadn't seen how upset I was when we started mowing.

We are painting the back of the house this afternoon.

dennis is starting to pack on thursday and friday for his trip to the Smokey mountains. I can't wait. I have nothing planned for the week except to bring up my sewing maching and sewing all week.

I am hoping it is cool enough during the next week to start to get into daily exercise again. I really need it.

Wow Dona, hugs to you with all that you have going on. I hope that you do get a chance to start execising. This weather has been tough on getting out and exercising. Your trip to NY sounded great. I hope to get out there someday!

Enjoy your sewing time! DH and DS are going to a boundary waters canoe trip and as much as I am going to miss my boys, I am looking forward to some Mommy and daughter time. Hoping we both have great weeks coming up!

Went for a walk with Dennis this evening. 1.84 miles. It was pretty slow but it was hot humid and I also had to think about my knee. It was a little achy by the end of the walk and I am sitting here icing it.

Good start.

Got in 13525 steps yesterday

Didn't do too bad with eating but need to do better.

Yoga tonight

Thinking about going to a hotel next weekend. I don't know if we will even go to Cape May next week. Would really like to finish painting the house.

Sean needs to move on Friday so we are going down there. So there is a day we lose painting.

Everyone will be home on Saturday. we could get a lot of things done if we all work together. We shall see.

Just found out my schedule is the same as June but I also got a junior field person. I really didn't want one but I can't say no now.

Spent 1 1/2 crocheting last night.

Sept 1 Day 1

yesterday I got 13000 steps in while in Cape May today was not as good a day.

I feel absolutely lousy. I did okay at breakfast but snacked all day

I feel like I am coming down with something. I have a headache and my back hurts. My feet are killing me. I think it is these new sneakers. I don't know what I am going to do.

I have no idea what to make for dinner.

I am not sleeping well these days and I really don't know why. Maybe I getting back into a routine will help.

Sept 2 Day 2

Yesterday I had 9000 steps. Not what I wanted but not bad. My feet hurt so bad that I really couldn't walk too much.

Today I got 15000 steps. It helped that we mowed Maryann's lawn. Dennis even cut down the low hanging branches that have been bugging me since I started mowing. He even got rid of the one that I keep banging my head on.

I did a little more walking because I had to put all the equipment away while Dennis mowed some of our lawn.

My eating was not great today. I had an okay breakfast but then ate at the school's breakfast. But for lunch I only had a fiber one bar. We didn't even stop for a soda on the way home from the lawn.

except for the walking I have done no other exercise. I really need to get back into this.

Sept 3 Day 3

I did absolutely nothing yesterday. I am so upset with myself. ddennis was gone all day long and I still did nothing.

Sept 4 Day 4

I think I might want to start some planning in writing and maybe it will help me get motivated.

I really don't want to go grocery shopping today. I have some chicken legs in the freezer so I think I have something for dinner. I think I will go into Red Bank this morning and hit the farmer's market after church.

to work on

Socks
mom's quilt

Hey Dona!

You started out very strong on day 1! Keep it going, and just remember, each good choice adds up. The walking sounds great. As a teacher I bet you get lots of steps in. I wish I could monitor my steps. pedometers just don't seem to work for me. Glad to see they work for you.

How was the farmer's market? Don't you just love the fresh veggies? It always looks so good.

Hope all is going well today, hopefully writing down your plan will help. That will help you get some goals in mind and a path to reach your goals.

Hang in there!:flower3:

Sept 6 Day 6

I got some great stuff at the farmer's market. The frig is cleaned out and there is a lot of good stuff in there.

First day of school. I don't know why I am so nervous about it. Maybe it is Joanne. I know she is nervous about teaching calc for the first time. I never realized last year she was so into preplanning. she has already planned out the next 3 weeks. Maybe it will be good for me.

The last couple of days have not been as good as they could have been. Maybe it was because I never went away and I was just enjoying myself.

Plan for today
Pack my lunch
get through the first day of school
socks

"Do It Anyway"

"People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered; Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you have anyway.

You see, in the final analysis it is between you and God; It was never between you and them anyway..."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter