DVC at Disneyland's Downtown Disney?

dwelty

"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney
Well in typical Disney fashon, Disney has started construction on a large expansion of it's highly popular Downtown Disney area at the Disneyland Resort, without any official announcement. The walls are up and crews are working in the large parking lot north of the existing Downtown Disney area. It looks like the expansion will start at the ESPN zone and Rainforest Cafe, and proceed in a northernly direction taking up the large parking area that is currently there. There has been rumor in the past that they could incorporate DVC units above this expansion, (Similar to the 200 or so Grand Californian Hotel rooms above the Eastern half of Downtown Disney). This is what they are doing over at Anaehim Gardenwalk 2 blocks away from the resort. Retail below and timeshares above. It would also be somewhat similar to the Boardwalk setup. It would make sense for Disney to do this since it maximizes the limited land avaliable. What do you all think? Would you welcome a Downtown Disney DVC in California?

While the option would be nice, I will only purchase if it's a Grand Californian DVC Resort.

I'm a bit confused.. Can you explain what they are doing at Gardenwalk? Is this a Disney project?

Thanx... :smokin:

MG

While the option would be nice, I will only purchase if it's a Grand Californian DVC Resort.

I'm a bit confused.. Can you explain what they are doing at Gardenwalk? Is this a Disney project?

Thanx... :smokin:

MG

Anaheim Gardenwalk is not owned by Disney. It is a outdoor retail center similar to Downtown Disney. They are planning on Retail locations on the lower floors and hotel/Timeshares above. This is an important developent due to it's very close proximity to the Disneyland Resort (right across the street) chek out this link: http://www.anaheimgardenwalk.com/

One point, though:

Gardenwalk currently has NOT signed a single agreement with a single hotel chain and I dont' think they've (though I could have missed it) signed an agreement with an existing timeshare company. And yet they are proceeding with construction of the "mixed use" pieces anyway....

There are rumblings that Disney has made a tentative agreement with them already, but that's strictly rumor at this point.

Edit: The rumor I've heard has to do with HOTEL lodgings for Disney at Gardenwalk, FYI....nothing about DVC going in there,though I suppose the two could go hand in hand.

That isn't what I understand as far as DVC in CA. It's been a number of years since I've been out to Anaheim, I'm glad to be going back next month!

I read that rumor as well. I think it is unlikely that Disney would build off property. A DVC would sell far better on property than 2 blocks away. They certainly have the room at DLR, and in fact according to the Disneyland Resort General plan filed with the city of Anaheim, they have the option to build up to 7,500 more units, Hotel or Timeshare on property. They currently have only about 2000 rooms right now.

That isn't what I understand as far as DVC in CA. It's been a number of years since I've been out to Anaheim, I'm glad to be going back next month!

Are you hearing the rumor about the DVC tower at the DL Hotel, instead?

That's the one I've heard. Both towers gutted and remodeled, one back to hotel rooms, one to DVC villas.

:)

I read that rumor as well. I think it is unlikely that Disney would build off property. A DVC would sell far better on property than 2 blocks away. They certainly have the room at DLR, and in fact according to the Disneyland Resort General plan filed with the city of Anaheim, they have the option to build up to 7,500 more units, Hotel or Timeshare on property. They currently have only about 2000 rooms right now.

I should have been clearer (and have since edited my OP): The rumor I'd heard was for hotel rooms, not DVC units, over the Gardenwalk retail space. Supposedly value level hotel rooms...

Are you hearing the rumor about the DVC tower at the DL Hotel, instead?

That's the one I've heard. Both towers gutted and remodeled, one back to hotel rooms, one to DVC villas.

:)

I have heard that one as well. I find it hard to believe that people would invest such a large amount of money in units built in towers constructed 3 decades ago. Now, they they could build a 4th tower as is also rumored. They would have no problem selling in a new building. I personally am holding out for the Grand Californian rumor to come to pass.

I have heard that one as well. I find it hard to believe that people would invest such a large amount of money in units built in towers constructed 3 decades ago. Now, they they could build a 4th tower as is also rumored. They would have no problem selling in a new building. I personally am holding out for the Grand Californian rumor to come to pass.

I heard the GC one too, but then heard it was scrapped because of logistical and structural issues (and permit issues of some sort) so they've started to plan in other directions. IF the DL hotel rumor came to pass, I think it would just be the stop gap, "toe in the water" step for DVC, with "something" (perhaps that new rumored hotel coming down the pike) else getting the majority of DVC CA units, when all is said and done.

I heard the GC one too, but then heard it was scrapped because of logistical and structural issues (and permit issues of some sort) so they've started to plan in other directions. IF the DL hotel rumor came to pass, I think it would just be the stop gap, "toe in the water" step for DVC, with "something" (perhaps that new rumored hotel coming down the pike) else getting the majority of DVC CA units, when all is said and done.

Pilferk, Do you remember where you read that this was scrapped? The reason I ask, is that the GCH hotel was built with an eventual expansion in mind. In fact this point was included in the original press releases related to the grand opening of this hotel. I am wondering what the permit issue would be?

Well in typical Disney fashon, Disney has started construction on a large expansion of it's highly popular Downtown Disney area at the Disneyland Resort, without any official announcement. The walls are up and crews are working in the large parking lot north of the existing Downtown Disney area. It looks like the expansion will start at the ESPN zone and Rainforest Cafe, and proceed in a northernly direction taking up the large parking area that is currently there.

I believe this construction is only to add additional disabled parking lot spaces. Not any type of buildings.

Pilferk, Do you remember where you read that this was scrapped? The reason I ask, is that the GCH hotel was built with an eventual expansion in mind. In fact this point was included in the original press releases related to the grand opening of this hotel. I am wondering what the permit issue would be?

I don't specifically remember. It might have been on miceage, but I'm not sure....I could be thinking of Al's recent comments that it's been put on the back burner.

It might even have been in an article concerning the "zoning" issues currently going on in Anaheim..

I do remember the permit issue had something to do, specifically, with the land that everyone saw "marked off"....something about that particular space...but I can't remember what that was specifically, either.

Sorry, just not sure.

The local Los Angeles NBC station aired a DVC commercial tonight during the news. It's the first one I have seen. It would seem they are getting the DVC into the public's eye out here. Perhaps it is a clue of sorts?

The local Los Angeles NBC station aired a DVC commercial tonight during the news. It's the first one I have seen. It would seem they are getting the DVC into the public's eye out here. Perhaps it is a clue of sorts?

Interesting. I lliven the LA media market as well. I will have to keep an eye out for it. Since DVC has a much bigger presence on the East Coast (Due to WDW) I think this is an interesting developement. Perhaps some East Coast Dis ers can chime in and tell us if they have seen similar commercials on the east coast, and if so, for how long....

Why would someone living in the LA area be interested in buying a DVC timeshare at DL? They can just drive there.

One point, though:

Gardenwalk currently has NOT signed a single agreement with a single hotel chain and I dont' think they've (though I could have missed it) signed an agreement with an existing timeshare company. And yet they are proceeding with construction of the "mixed use" pieces anyway....

There are rumblings that Disney has made a tentative agreement with them already, but that's strictly rumor at this point.

Edit: The rumor I've heard has to do with HOTEL lodgings for Disney at Gardenwalk, FYI....nothing about DVC going in there,though I suppose the two could go hand in hand.

There are three hotels - http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/article_001512.htm
Retail space is 80% full

The timeshare is Worldmark - http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article17585.html

Why would someone living in the LA area be interested in buying a DVC timeshare at DL? They can just drive there.

I live almost 2 hours away. We always stay at a hotel and visit over a 3 day period. In fact we are staying at the GCH this weekend (although not on points) My point is, more people will buy DVC out here if they know they have other options if they can't always make a 3,000 mile trip to FL. Since far more people on the West Coast still visit DLR over WDW. I see this more as a West Coast thing than a LA thing.

I'll tell you one thing, we get Vegas and Hawaii Timeshare commercials all the time, (they are very common West Coast Vacation Destinations). I have never seen a Florida timeshare commercial ever. Florida as a vacation destination is far more common out east.

True, they are building a Worldmark Time share, however it is not part of GardenWalk, it is about a block away. It is already being built and is quite large. It's funny to see these start popping up, since Timeshares in Anaheim are far less common than Orlando. (Palm Springs and Lake Tahoe are the Timeshare Meccas here in California).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter