Earlier flight w/layover or nonstop flight later - opinions?

Depends on if you are checking luggage. I don't know those airports so I don't know if 45 min. would be enough, we fly out of Atlanta and in some cases that would be fine, in others not. I wouldn't do a layover if I were checking luggage, just too much opportunity for it to get lost. If you are doing carry on only, even if it gets gate checked you know it's going on the same plane you are on so it wouldn't be that much of an issue.
Bags are tagged for a tight connection. Your bag might be off loaded before the door is opened. The distance bags travel on the tarmac is shorter then the distance pax have to travel. Bags can be loaded after the door closes.

Bags missing the connection but the pax making the connection is uncommon.

Twice I had missing bags. Once they were never loaded on the plane. The other time they weren't unloaded; they stayed on the plane

Direct for sure. 45 minutes isn’t nearly long enough for a reliable connection. Also I’d second considering driving to Newark. My mom lives between Albany and White Plains. When all goes well she loves the convenience of the smaller airport, but when there is a problem (which happens more than she cares to admit) it’s a nightmare trying to sort it out for her. At least through Newark there are A LOT of options.

Flights are very crowded these days so if for some reason you miss your connection or your flight is cancelled it can be very hard to get seats on another flight in a timely manner.

Go for the direct flight. Then when you get to hotel, your room is probably ready. If not going to the park on arrival day, don’t really see the benefit of arriving early since you be super tired from getting up at 3am , then hotel room isn’t likely to be ready.

Bags are tagged for a tight connection. Your bag might be off loaded before the door is opened. The distance bags travel on the tarmac is shorter then the distance pax have to travel. Bags can be loaded after the door closes.

Bags missing the connection but the pax making the connection is uncommon.

Twice I had missing bags. Once they were never loaded on the plane. The other time they weren't unloaded; they stayed on the plane

Last time I flew to MCO when checking in I had two bags. I told the agent I wanted one bag to go to Hawaii and the other to go to Germany. He told me they could not do it. I said "Why not? you did it to me last time!" :P :P :P :P

First time I went to MCO it was on Eastern Airlines and we had a connection in LGA on the way back. Our flight on the way back was delayed so we missed the connection, we were at the arrival gate about 20 min before our next flight was to take off . It was no big deal as it was back when they had the hourly shuttles. As we came down into bag check at BOS our luggage was sitting in a roped off area. It made the original flight and we did not.

Another time coming back from Cancun with an Atlanta connection we rechecked our luggage after customs and I had my golf clubs so they needed to be rechecked at bulk luggage. We had cleared immigration and customs so fast we were able to change to the 1230p flight back to BOS (instead of waiting until 230p). I noticed there was also an 1130a flight but the status was closed/delayed and it was 1130. When we landed in BOS my clubs were nowhere to be found and that's when I saw the 1130 flight had actually left behind us and that luggage was coming in a couple spots away. I walked over and sure enough the first thing off were my clubs.

Flights are very crowded these days so if for some reason you miss your connection or your flight is cancelled it can be very hard to get seats on another flight in a timely manner.
I've travelled for work about 6-8 times since the beginning of the year. When I've tried to get on an earlier flight, I've been ~75%+ successful. If you miss a connection, the airline will get you on another flight. Granted, that flight may not be for a couple of hours, but I wouldn't worry about that.

As mentioned, cost is a big factor. I'm glad everyone is willing to pay double (if not more?) for the direct flight. I wouldn't, especially with multiple people travelling.

As mentioned, cost is a big factor. I'm glad everyone is willing to pay double (if not more?) for the direct flight. I wouldn't, especially with multiple people travelling.
Depends on the airline. If I fly MKE-MCO, the non stop on Southwest is cheaper than connecting through BNA or BWI. If I am choosing between airlines, I can fly from my local airport on Delta for $400 one way to MCO, or drive an hour and half to MKE for the nonstop that usually costs $200 one way.

Depends on the airline. If I fly MKE-MCO, the non stop on Southwest is cheaper than connecting through BNA or BWI. If I am choosing between airlines, I can fly from my local airport on Delta for $400 one way to MCO, or drive an hour and half to MKE for the nonstop that usually costs $200 one way.
I was simply pointing out (or trying to) that there's more to the equation than non-stop vs. connecting.

I was simply pointing out (or trying to) that there's more to the equation than non-stop vs. connecting.
Earlier connecting will require leaving home at 2a for the airport, maybe earlier. First day would be toast. OP didn't offer prices. I have to assume the fares are similar; or the difference is irrelevant to the OP.

Earlier connecting will require leaving home at 2a for the airport, maybe earlier. First day would be toast. OP didn't offer prices. I have to assume the fares are similar; or the difference is irrelevant to the OP.
There's also a flight that leaves at 7:50a. That would put leaving at 4a, *IF* they don't find an airport hotel for the night before. There are a LOT of options. And you know what happens when you assume. ;)

45 min layover will be tight. Remember you have to wait for every ahead of you to get their act together and got off the plan. Then make your way to the gate. Boarding starts 30 minutes before your flight time. So by the time you get to the gate they will have already started the boarding process. So dont count on any bathroom stops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter