Editing software

@ SrisonS
It's also a great organization tool too. It's so nice to just browse your library of shots, and instantly be able to start working on a photo without having to load them one-by-one.
That is great to know!! That drives me crazy in PSE8! I use continuous shoot a lot so I have quite a few similar shots. I can't tell you how much time I spend going back and forth - trying to remember image numbers. It can be really time consuming.

Even though I can't do nearly the same things in iPhoto, I tend to favor it simply because of cataloging. I had been looking into Lightroom and now that I know this, I think I'm sold!:yay:

I'm a big fan of Lightroom myself. There's a lot you can do with the processing, and it's very easy to use. You can't get super duper creative, but there are some brushes to help you along the way. It's also a great organization tool too. It's so nice to just browse your library of shots, and instantly be able to start working on a photo without having to load them one-by-one. There's even a fully funtional 30 day trial you can do.

@ Spinning: Lightroom can do everything you want it to do. Not totally sure about the blemish (because I've never looked into it), but I'm pretty sure it could handle doing that.

Count me in as a Lightroom fan, too!

Lightroom is currently in version 2.7, but version 3 should be coming out REAL SOON. You can currently try Lightroom 3 beta 2 for FREE until it expires on June 30: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_lightroom3

Yes, you can fix blemishes in Lightroom. There's a "spot removal" tool that lets you heal tiny blemishes. Works great for zits on faces or sensor dust on photos.

I just got a new camera yesterday (yay!)..a Canon Rebel XS...no idea how to use it yet! LOL! Anyway, I took a few pics today and I tried cropping them and converting a couple to b&w with the Photo Professional software it came with, and I figured out how to do both, but doesn't SAVE them cropped or B&W. Can someone help me out? I read the "help" section in the software, but I still don't get it! Help me! TIA :)

btw: here is a pic of my cutie with one of her infamous pouty faces on :rotfl:

35644_411725959472_643409472_4335287_7907534_n.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think you are using the RAW processing software, not the editing program. RAW software does not change the original image, so you would need to export to a new file to have a JPG with the changes.

I just got a new camera yesterday (yay!)..a Canon Rebel XS...no idea how to use it yet! LOL! Anyway, I took a few pics today and I tried cropping them and converting a couple to b&w with the Photo Professional software it came with, and I figured out how to do both, but doesn't SAVE them cropped or B&W. Can someone help me out? I read the "help" section in the software, but I still don't get it! Help me! TIA :)

btw: here is a pic of my cutie with one of her infamous pouty faces on :rotfl:

35644_411725959472_643409472_4335287_7907534_n.jpg

I have an Xsi and I'm still learning the camera after a year. As for programs, I use Corel. All I can say for the program is work/pay with it. Just in the same manor for learning the camera. You could goto barnes & noble to look for a book made by Magic Lantern Guides - Canon Rebel Xs/Xsi book with DVD. This book/dvd has given me better insight in the uses of the camera. The book/DVD cost $20-24(I think). To me it's well well well:goodvibes worth it. You can even look it up on Amazon too. I have found some of the instructional video's on YouTube very helpful for beginners (everyone had to start somewhere:rolleyes1)

I hope this helps:thumbsup2

Whether you're working with RAW or JPG files in that program, you have to go to File -> Convert and Save for the actual image with the changes to be saved (then you're able to open that picture anywhere, and it'll be b&w, etc....). Word of note: if the original file is a JPG, make sure you rename it (even just adding like '_2' to it), if you want the original to be safe (or even just convert and save to a different location). You don't have to worry about that with the RAW file.

When you just 'Save' the changes, that means that they still appear the next time you visit that folder or open up the program. For instance, you change a picture to b&w, Save it, then close the program. The next time you open the program, you'll still see the picture in b&w. And if you don't initially Save it, the next time you visit the picture, it'll still be in color.

So basically, everything you do to your pictures is non-destructive. You can make all the changes you want, and your original will be safe. Unless of course, you're working with a JPG file.... you do 'Convert and Save'..... and keep the same exact file name with the exact same location. THEN the edited pic will replace the original.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup2

Thanks! I was able to do convert and save and it worked. I was trying that before, but without renaming the picture, and kept getting an error message. Thanks again!!

Try getting photoscape! It's free and very easy to use and has a lot of cool effects that will really make your photos look amazing and artistic! I, on the other hand though, would still really prefer Adobe Photoshop. Even if you won't take your photography that serious, it will be very helpful to learn Photoshop. :D

Does anyone have a suggestion for FREE software? I only need to recover one file. I've looked at a few that were on Google but they only search for the files and won't let you recover them unless you buy the program.

TIA

try using zar it's agood recovery program and free for photo recovery

I know that this forum is for photography but felt that as you are creative type people you may have additional advice/information to share.

My youngest DD 12 is a whiz on the computer. She has taken classes at school using photoshop & is in the market for software to use at home.
She loves to edit photos but equally enjoys creating her own graphics/illustrations.

She & I have gone to local stores selling software for advice but received no two similar answers.

We have looked at Photoshops Elements plus the comparable Corel product. . .which do you like better? Is there a product that you are aware of that allows someone to create their own designs not just edit photos without going to the high end Photoshop software? I've even thought of purchasing the Elements & a second software--but not sure which one?

She has been saving her money plus done tons of chores for Mom so she deserves something special for her 13th Birthday that is fast approaching.

Thanks, Kaye

I know that this forum is for photography but felt that as you are creative type people you may have additional advice/information to share.

My youngest DD 12 is a whiz on the computer. She has taken classes at school using photoshop & is in the market for software to use at home.
She loves to edit photos but equally enjoys creating her own graphics/illustrations.

She & I have gone to local stores selling software for advice but received no two similar answers.

We have looked at Photoshops Elements plus the comparable Corel product. . .which do you like better? Is there a product that you are aware of that allows someone to create their own designs not just edit photos without going to the high end Photoshop software? I've even thought of purchasing the Elements & a second software--but not sure which one?

She has been saving her money plus done tons of chores for Mom so she deserves something special for her 13th Birthday that is fast approaching.

Thanks, Kaye

have you checked on student edition of photo shop, I'm not certain but I think there is a significant difference in price..

I personally use corel paint shop photo pro

if she's used to photo shop it might be frustrating for her to switch programs..

I am a teacher and just bought the student/teacher edition of Photoshop CS5. It is $200. Once you purchase it, you have to send/scan proof of student status to Adobe and they will send you a serial number. The requirements for what your daughter would have to send to Adobe is listed on the side of the box or can be found at www.adobe.com/go/edu-validate . Hope this helps some.

Thanks guys, I knew this was the place to go. Where would we purchase the student edition? We went to Best Buy & Office Depot & they knew nothing about this. . .

If she is comfortable using Photoshop, you should try downloading GIMP which is FREE before buying anything. It has all of the capabilities of Photoshop, just an open source version. I use Photoshop at work and GIMP at home, and I actually prefer GIMP.

If she is comfortable using Photoshop, you should try downloading GIMP which is FREE before buying anything. It has all of the capabilities of Photoshop, just an open source version. I use Photoshop at work and GIMP at home, and I actually prefer GIMP.

She use to do GIMP but it caused both of my computer viruses and yes, we did download from the official site, she didn't download any brushes of fonts, and we had a anti-virus protection program.

Both JourneyEd.com and GradWare.com are reputable companies for purchasing educational discount software. I've purchased from both of them in the last year for work and personal purchases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter