Editing software

You can purchase student editions directly from Adobe.com as well. Also consider a Wacom tablet if she does not have one... the Wacom Bamboo is a good first tablet and very affordable.

Also... some other software to consider if she's into drawing more than photo editing...

Autodesk Sketchbook (used to be Alias Sketchbook)....my daughter LOVES using this with her Wacom tablet

Corel Painter (not Paint Shop Pro).. you can get it for $49 when you buy certain Wacom tablets at Journeyed.com

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We have found the Student Edition at a Staples in Mississippi & we plan to stop next week on our way to Gulf Shores. I had never heard about the Wacom Bamboo but DD has been researching it & I think that she is starting to save for it! Thanks everyone, Kaye

If you have a chance, check out the Photoshop User TV podcasts. I have just started using Photoshop, used GIMP a long time, and the material they cover is over my head a lot, but they show some really neat tips that I wouldn't think you could do in Photoshop.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We have found the Student Edition at a Staples in Mississippi & we plan to stop next week on our way to Gulf Shores. I had never heard about the Wacom Bamboo but DD has been researching it & I think that she is starting to save for it! Thanks everyone, Kaye

Make sure you take the required student proof with you when you purchase. Some places are particular on that, some aren't. But it's better to have it and not need it then get there and be stuck.

We need to buy a photo & video editing software for our home pc. Can anyone recommend one that they think is EASY to use and works the best.

Thanks!!

If you're looking for something reasonably priced that handles a good amount of different features, I think Nikon CaptureNX2, Photoshop Elements 8, or Photoshop Lightroom 3 are all good options.

As of right now I'm using Elements 8 - it's a stripped down version of the full blown Photoshop, but at a fraction of the cost. It has served me well thus far.

Another vote for Lightroom here. It's great software, and very easy to use. And it's perfect for organizing all of your photos too.

Another vote for Elements 8.0. I looked into Lightroom after several recommendations here but for $300 I couldn't justify it over the Elements price of $80. Now there are discounts if you are a teacher or have a child in school, but I don't so there was no discount. I do recomment shopping around on-line because you can usually get any program cheaper than straight from the manufacturer's website.

Thanks! Is there one that you can use for both video camera video and pictures? Thanks for the recommendations!

I just got a Nikon P100 and am having a lot of fun with it. I've always just used the Windows photo gallery for picture editing but I want to do more...What software should I get? I read online that Adobe Photoshop is good? Any comments yes or no?

Thanks for your suggestions.

I just got a Nikon P100 and am having a lot of fun with it. I've always just used the Windows photo gallery for picture editing but I want to do more...What software should I get? I read online that Adobe Photoshop is good? Any comments yes or no?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Congratulations on your new camera!

What kind of editing do you see yourself doing? Adobe Photoshop is certainly excellent for pro-level photo editing, but if you're just starting out with photo editing (or, "post processing"), then Photoshop might be pretty overwhelming.

You can try Adobe Photoshop Elements, which is basically the consumer-friendly version of Photoshop. It gives you all the essential "tools" you'll need for photo editing.

I've heard very good things about Google's Picasa. You can download and use this photo editing program for free.

If you're going to have thousands and thousands of photos to organize and edit, then you might consider Adobe Lightroom. Lightroom allows you to organize your thousands of photos easily, plus you can edit batches of photos pretty quickly. Other similar programs to consider would be Apple Aperture or Bibble.

There are others out there, but these are probably the most popular ones for photo editing.

Adobe Photoshop is the King of all photo editing software. There's nothing one can't do with this program if you spend the time to learn it. But most casual users just want something that will do simple editing. Photoshop Elements could be what you need OR you could go with Lightroom or Aperture. Both have some editing capabilities that are very sophisticated. Personally, I use a combination of Photoshop and Aperture. I may switch to Lightroom someday to manage my library, but as of now I'm sticking with Aperture.

Good luck with your purchase.

I'm a big fan of Lightroom. It's great for organization; but you can still do A LOT with post-processing.

Like mentioned before, Picasa is a great free program. If anything, start by giving that a shot. Hey, it's free!!!!! :thumbsup2

Photoshop CS5 is $700. Just got my copy friday.

You might look at Paint Shop Pro or GIMP if you are on a budget. One of my minions at work loves GIMP.

I have been using ACDSEE Pro 3 for a while now. I find it very easy to use. I have tried all of the Adobe Photoshops but don't have enough time to learn them.

I'm a big fan of Lightroom. It's great for organization; but you can still do A LOT with post-processing.

I like it too. I like the organizational features and I edit right in LR. For most of my pictures LR can handle it. But if I need more it is easy to jump into Photoshop and right back into LR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter