• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Europe cruises/travel summer 2020 -Anyone else thinking of cancelling??

I just called Delta to see if I could cancel my Sept flights to Rome. There has been a significant schedule change essentially making it impossible to make my connection so I was hoping I could cancel without a penalty. Unfortunately I was unable to cancel without forfeit of all of the miles I used so I will leave the reservation in place and see if they extend the cancellation waivers they current have for Italy.
I did email my TA to cancel my cruise for September. I am sure they are very busy right now.

I just called Delta to see if I could cancel my Sept flights to Rome. There has been a significant schedule change essentially making it impossible to make my connection so I was hoping I could cancel without a penalty. Unfortunately I was unable to cancel without forfeit of all of the miles I used so I will leave the reservation in place and see if they extend the cancellation waivers they current have for Italy.
I did email my TA to cancel my cruise for September. I am sure they are very busy right now.

I think there is a good chance you will be able to do what you want in the coming weeks.

Specifically about how "years" are counted for Lifetime Platinum?

Slightly offtopic, calendar years, with exemptions for expecting mothers. (Disclaimer: not working for AF/KLM. Call your Elite+ helpline, they're helpful and knowledgeable!)

I called AA advantage desk today to change my flight to add an extra day in Berlin. I got right through which is unusual. There’s normally a hold time. Agent told they hadn’t been getting a lot of cancellations.

That doesn't sound right for Delta - is the connection on another airline? I've cancelled points flights when the change was only an hour or so difference due to the schedule change.

We're going on a Royal Caribbean Transatlantic cruise in early May from Tampa to Amsterdam, as well as b2b European cruises in October and November from Civitavecchia (Rome). We are beyond the final payment date for the May cruise, so we'll just wait and see what the cruise line does. By the time the final payments are due in late July for our fall cruises - hopefully we'll know whether to wait it out or cancel those cruises.

Just saw this on Facebook:
Coronavirus Travel: 10 Steps to Follow Before Rethinking Your Plans

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/co...BNeFtuQ45b6HnNh9c2nSUb2Nt3KLKmg5givYQ6EvpA7_U

Last edited:
I am in the same situation. After being on many many Disney cruises we are scheduled for a 12 day out of Barcelona in late June on RC. My final payment date is March 12. I am so torn as to what to do. It will be my husband and I and our 17 year old daughter with this being our first visit to Europe. I am already stressed enough about that and then to add this to it. I bought our plane tickets through United to and from Barcelona. The cruise has many stops in Italy as well as an overnight in Venice. When I booked I did not get the insurance as I booked through Costco and she told me if I made the entire payment with my Costco credit card I didn't need anything additional. I guess I really need to look into that but I also was planning on calling Allianz or Travelguard to see what could be offered if anything. We booked this cruise over a year ago and I left a small balance so I was not paid in full and could make changes. I am not sleeping either as I am stressing about it. I am presuming if I can cancel the cruise portion I would be refunded as long as I do it before the paid in full date. I do not know RC's policies. I know that is how it works with Disney. The airline tickets, I doubt any reimbursement.

It was tough to cancel my Greek cruise as I lost my OBB and 200 credit, but my daughter was refusing to go and it was for her. Kids are seeing so much online and I am really sad they feel so vulnerable. I am hoping next year might have some last minute specials if we decide to do it again. I do have November booked on the Dream anyway. Months to go before PIF. I did take a hit on my flights however. Will not book flights as early as I did ever again. Now wish DVC would let us move our reservation but we are only two weeks out and I would forfeit my points. Hoping North America stays relatively unscathed until then.
Yes, my 12 year old has told me already that he does not want to travel, he has been hearing about this and he is scared.

I am in the same situation. After being on many many Disney cruises we are scheduled for a 12 day out of Barcelona in late June on RC. My final payment date is March 12. I am so torn as to what to do. It will be my husband and I and our 17 year old daughter with this being our first visit to Europe. I am already stressed enough about that and then to add this to it. I bought our plane tickets through United to and from Barcelona. The cruise has many stops in Italy as well as an overnight in Venice. When I booked I did not get the insurance as I booked through Costco and she told me if I made the entire payment with my Costco credit card I didn't need anything additional. I guess I really need to look into that but I also was planning on calling Allianz or Travelguard to see what could be offered if anything. We booked this cruise over a year ago and I left a small balance so I was not paid in full and could make changes. I am not sleeping either as I am stressing about it. I am presuming if I can cancel the cruise portion I would be refunded as long as I do it before the paid in full date. I do not know RC's policies. I know that is how it works with Disney. The airline tickets, I doubt any reimbursement.

It's good you didn't pay in full. You can still buy cancel for any reason insurance that gives you 75% back. COVID-19 is already a named disease, so insurance you buy now probably won't cover trip cancellation (except for cancel for any reason), but would still cover things like medical or evacuation. Insure My Trip is a good site to do research and they have more details on this. I've used their chat too and get quick answers.

RCCL's cancellation will depend on what type of rate you got. It should say on your Costco confirmation. It may be the nonrefundable deposit rate. $100/person change fee and the rest of the deposit would be as a credit that expires in a year.

Italy is travel advisory level 3 now (avoid non-essential travel). :( If things are still bad in June (hopefully not!), I would hope flights would be refunded and cruise would be canceled. But who knows, I feel like we're in uncharted waters. :(

Have you taken a look at their cancellation schedule? Our final payment is due 3/11 for our June British Isles cruise so I was stressing a little about what we should do. I checked this morning and if we cancel in days 89-57 before the cruise, we would only lose our deposit of $200. So I'm now looking at ~4/10 as our make a decision date. Our flights are through Princess and they don't get ticketed until 45 days prior to the cruise, so we wouldn't lose anything there either. It makes me feel a little better to have more time.

Well, I paid with points all but the deposit, so the only money I have at stake I will lose if I don't cancel by 90 days out.

I just looked and there are rooms available today that weren't yesterday, including balconies (but not suites, which we have now).

I know I am taking a risk that we can't rebook, or will be in a smaller, less appealing room...on the other hand, if by some miracle we can go, I will be so relieved I think I will be okay with it.

And if we can't go, at least I got that deposit back and the points re-banked, even if I lose all the money on flights and DLP.

I will wait a couple weeks though-- maybe somehow this will fizzle out. Like the Y2K computer thing that never materialized...

Yes, that was me. I didnt realize it was you as I wasnt paying attention to screen names. LOL

It seems like those most adversely affected have high blood pressure or heart issues.

My situation is somewhat complicated too. I receive Remicade infusions for Crohn's disease. This puts me in the immuno compromised category. My blood pressure is in check and I dont currently have heart issues although a known problem with Remicade is CHF. Its a small percentage that develop this but it does raise my risks. However since I am not currently having heart issues I wasnt concerned, I figured at worst I would get flu like symptoms but more than likely nothing would happen to me. I was far more concerned with what a quarantine would mean for my husband's job than actually contracting a serious case of COV.

Until this morning. I read this. Basically they are finding changes in the lung tissue of even asymptomatic patients. Obviously this isnt as robust of a study as I'd normally like before making decisions but I also dont have the time to follow them long term to see what the implications are for these patients.

There was another (again small sample size) study this morning that strongly suggest people are contagious 24 hours before becoming symptomatic.

So, if I could cancel the cruise without penalty now I would. So now I need to decide if we want to play a game of chicken to see if MSC cancels or if I should cancel now with the penalty. As for airfare, Im SOL so might as well hang tight for a bit and see what happens with that.
Monkeydawn, that is a fascinating article! Where did you find it?
Hubby and I are sitting here discussing cancelling. Our emails at work today were non-stop how to handle COVID-19 (we are medical) exposures, patients and precautions. Seriously thinking about cancelling Northern Europe and road tripping to the mountains... a year of planning and flights gone... but that article summarizes in a scary way how it can affect healthy people.

Can't you pay a fee to reinstate your miles?

I thought with Delta there was $150 to redeposit points if made more than 72 hours before the flight.

Why do healthy people wear masks
There is a very good chance that Magic stays in North America for the summer.

Maybe cruise out of NYC - though nowhere is safe for cruise ships the way things are unfolding.
I hope you're wrong. All this drama over a virus with a low mortality rate. You would think by the click-bait stories we were talking about the ebola virus and not a virus that kills 1-2% of elderly or middle-aged people with co-morbidities. How many adults and kids have died from this year's flu? The more I watch the news the more irritated I get with the whole thing. I have my own ideas about what the agenda is.

Well, we have our first community case here in Oregon about 11 miles from my house, and another two cases were announced for Washington state. Since its here, I'll wait until after we catch it and then continue our business as usual? :headache:

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-appears-in-oregon.html
https://komonews.com/news/local/two-new-cases-of-coronavirus-including-student-in-snohomish-county
We have no plans to cancel our trip camping in June, the beach in July or our October WDW trip. Unless the country shuts down there just isn't any point to since we are just as in danger here now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter