• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Everything Park Reservations - Please Read Post 1

I booked a last minute trip to Disney for NYE! I'm super excited since in 25 years I've never gone that time of year. This will be my first Disney trip since 2020 and park reservations. I snagged the MK reservation for 12/31 since I would rather be there than Epcot that day. I changed my room reservation for the first 2 nights to Contemporary so I can walk to the park and avoid any vehicle traffic which I've read is horrible that day. I've never stayed there either or spent that kind of $$ on a room, but wanted the ability to monorail or walk. I am super excited about all of it!!

So here's my question - since my park spot is "reserved", can I leave midday, head back to my resort and then return in the evening for the fireworks? Or once they hit capacity (and will they hit it NYE?), do they block everyone from entering even if you have a reservation? Or do they hold some spaces? I called Disney and the nice lady told me she honestly had no answer; that on a normal day you would be let back in, but Christmas or NYE could be different and that their fire dept decides when no more people can enter.

Does anyone have experience with this since park reservations, or do I need to just hang out all day at the park to be safe?
Thank you!

Sorry folks! I found the Park reservations thread after posting this and I see towards the end it also has the "warning" about Christmas and NYE. I wish Disney had a definite answer regarding this.

I would hang out in the park for the day. MK is typically the first park to hit capacity that day, if any of the parks do. Although there is a chance you could get back in, the odds are not in your favor. Unless you are willing to watch the fireworks from the CR (which, personally, I would prefer over the crowds in the park) staying in the park is the only guarantee. If they allow park hopping that day, the situation could be even worse.

Good luck and have fun!

This will be our first time being at WDW for NYE. Right now we have reservations scheduled for Magic Kingdom that day. The WDW website shows that MK is open until 12am that night. Epcot is open until 1am. I am assuming that both parks will have some type of fireworks at midnight.

If we go to MK at park opening, and then decide to go back to the room during the day to rest, and then come back in the evening, will we still be able to get back in even if crowds are heavy? Just want to make sure that if there is a chance we can't get back in that we kind of change our plans at maybe sleep in and get there in the afternoon and stay until close.

Also, which park usually has the bigger celebration, MK or Epcot? Any other tips or tricks for doing NYE at the parks?
Disney guarantees that you can leave and re-enter your reserved park as many times as you want that day, so for MK you’re fine. They could suspend hopping to Epcot, if Epcot reached capacity, so you may or may not be able to get in there. However, Epcot is so huge that it has a huge capacity!

I won’t comment on your last question. My only experience with NYE at WDW was back in the early 2000s. We went to Epcot and couldn’t wait to get out after dinner at Biergarten. It was worse than Mardi Gras, and we’re from New Orleans!

I somehow managed to get a Dessert pre-party reservation too, so I really want to view the fireworks from inside the park. I usually do nothing for NYE, so this would be the extreme opposite of that! I may talk to Guest Services at MK that day to see what they think once I arrive too. But for now, I'll plan on staying put.

I wouldn’t risk it no matter what Guest Services says. “But Bob said XYZ” literally isn’t going to matter if Fred says you’re denied entry.

Maybe consider in park TS ADRs to get relaxing crowd breaks.

I somehow managed to get a Dessert pre-party reservation too, so I really want to view the fireworks from inside the park. I usually do nothing for NYE, so this would be the extreme opposite of that! I may talk to Guest Services at MK that day to see what they think once I arrive too. But for now, I'll plan on staying put.
As above, with a MK park reservation you can leave and return as many times as you want. It’s hoppers who might be turned away.

As above, with a MK park reservation you can leave and return as many times as you want. It’s hoppers who might be turned away.
While hopping could be stopped, we also need to give accurate information and hopping has only been stopped once in the 3+ years since it was re-introduced and that was only to the MK for a few hours on its 50th Anniversary.

There is nothing to indicate that this year will be any different than recent years and for the past 3 years there has been no trouble hopping around Christmas or New Years.

Last edited:
While hopping could be stopped, we also need to give accurate information and hopping has only been stopped once in the 3+ years since it was re-introduced and that was only to the MK for a few hours on its 50th Anniversary.

There is nothing to indicate that this year will be any different than recent last years and for the past 3 years there has been no trouble hopping around Christmas or New Years.
Yes, maybe I should have bolded or italicized the word “might” in my post.

I hope to hop to Epcot at night on NYE. I was surprised when I saw they were out of park ressies for that day, so I booked HS. I haven’t been to Disney for NYE since 2006.

I hope to hop to Epcot at night on NYE. I was surprised when I saw they were out of park ressies for that day, so I booked HS. I haven’t been to Disney for NYE since 2006.
Good luck. Hopefully Disney capped the number of Epcot reservations because they’re expecting a lot of hoppers!

However, I’d keep the WDW Park Hopping Availability phone number 407-560-5000 handy and call it before I started over that way, just in case. I just checked - it’s still in service!

this is what plan disney said yesterday..

Most of the days during your stay you will not worry about the capacity of the park becoming an issue. Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve historically have reached capacity and if this is the case you should consider staying at Magic Kingdom Park. If you decide to leave you will not be allowed back in after the park has reached capacity even with a park reservation.
This will really annoy me if it happens to us on December 30 at MK!

Disney has this Q&A posted to its website:

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...on-park-day-reach-capacity-say-dining-550839/

Q: “If you have a park reservation and are at that park on a day that might reach capacity, say 12/30, but you have a dining reservation at a resort off site for dinner, if you leave the park will you be able to get back in with your park reservation?”

A: Hello, Kelly! It’s my pleasure to welcome you back to planDisney. I’m so glad you dropped by with your question. As a guest who likes to consider every possible scenario as I’m planning my Disney days, I appreciate this question and your diligence in thinking through your itinerary.

Taking a break from the hustle and bustle of the park for dining is a great way to rest your feet and recharge while you refuel! Now, let’s talk about Disney Park Pass reservations.

With a valid theme park ticket and Disney Park Pass reservation, you are guaranteed park entrance, even in the scenario you described. So, for example, let’s say in late December you hold a Disney Park Pass reservation for Magic Kingdom Park. You arrive early, enjoy a few attractions, and then leave for a late lunch at one of my favorite resort dining locations, Steakhouse 71. During that time, the park reaches capacity, which means guests with a Park Hopper ticket are not permitted to enter. Because that was the primary park for your day, you ARE still able to return after your lunch (or dinner) to enjoy the remainder of your day at Magic Kingdom Park.

If you have Park Hopper tickets, this is an important distinction because capacity does affect which parks would be open to you.

If we follow this posted guidance and get turned away upon attempted reentry, I will be furious! This trip is costing us a fortune. I feel that we should be entitled to rely on Disney's public promises.

This will really annoy me if it happens to us on December 30 at MK!

Disney has this Q&A posted to its website:

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...on-park-day-reach-capacity-say-dining-550839/

Q: “If you have a park reservation and are at that park on a day that might reach capacity, say 12/30, but you have a dining reservation at a resort off site for dinner, if you leave the park will you be able to get back in with your park reservation?”

A: Hello, Kelly! It’s my pleasure to welcome you back to planDisney. I’m so glad you dropped by with your question. As a guest who likes to consider every possible scenario as I’m planning my Disney days, I appreciate this question and your diligence in thinking through your itinerary.

Taking a break from the hustle and bustle of the park for dining is a great way to rest your feet and recharge while you refuel! Now, let’s talk about Disney Park Pass reservations.

With a valid theme park ticket and Disney Park Pass reservation, you are guaranteed park entrance, even in the scenario you described. So, for example, let’s say in late December you hold a Disney Park Pass reservation for Magic Kingdom Park. You arrive early, enjoy a few attractions, and then leave for a late lunch at one of my favorite resort dining locations, Steakhouse 71. During that time, the park reaches capacity, which means guests with a Park Hopper ticket are not permitted to enter. Because that was the primary park for your day, you ARE still able to return after your lunch (or dinner) to enjoy the remainder of your day at Magic Kingdom Park.

If you have Park Hopper tickets, this is an important distinction because capacity does affect which parks would be open to you.

If we follow this posted guidance and get turned away upon attempted reentry, I will be furious! This trip is costing us a fortune. I feel that we should be entitled to rely on Disney's public promises.
Sorry, I’m not sure what you’re reading. You are guaranteed re-entry to a park you have a reservation for. (Please see bold above) You are not guaranteed entry to a park you wish to hop to.

That being said, park hopping has only ever been stopped once and that was only to the MK for a few hours, and only on their 50th anniversary.

Yes, exactly. As quoted in my post, I was responding to this:

Most of the days during your stay you will not worry about the capacity of the park becoming an issue. Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve historically have reached capacity and if this is the case you should consider staying at Magic Kingdom Park. If you decide to leave you will not be allowed back in after the park has reached capacity even with a park reservation.

I wish Disney would realize how unreliable Plan Disney is at advising guests. This is a blatant example of Disney’s representative giving information that is just plain wrong.

Just realized DH has 1 day left on an old 10 day non-expiring hopper. We are going for 4 days, I need to buy him 3 days, probably non-hopper, but guess I have to make a reservation for the 1 day left on the old ticket? He will be able to hop that one day, have to choose that day wisely. (I have a new 10 day NE hopper, last one I bought when they were discontinuing them, so will have to make a reservation every day?) Confused! Maybe I will buy myself a 4 day ticket and save the hopper for a solo trip when I do more heavy park days.

Just realized DH has 1 day left on an old 10 day non-expiring hopper. We are going for 4 days, I need to buy him 3 days, probably non-hopper, but guess I have to make a reservation for the 1 day left on the old ticket? He will be able to hop that one day, have to choose that day wisely. (I have a new 10 day NE hopper, last one I bought when they were discontinuing them, so will have to make a reservation every day?) Confused! Maybe I will buy myself a 4 day ticket and save the hopper for a solo trip when I do more heavy park days.
When are you visiting?

I wish Disney would realize how unreliable Plan Disney is at advising guests. This is a blatant example of Disney’s representative giving information that is just plain wrong.
To your point, this Q and A was just posted on Plan Disney ( https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...dec-rst-epcot-need-pay-anything-extra-558277/ ):

Q: “Hello: I have reservations for Dec 31rst at Epcot. Do I need to pay anything extra due to it being New Years Eve?”

A: . . . . You’ve made your theme park reservation, so you’re good to go! . . . I do recommend that you arrive as early as possible though because you may miss out on the New Year’s Eve festivities if EPCOT reaches capacity. So, arrive early to ensure entry for the day. . . .

This totally contradicts their other advice, and the advice that the thoughtful and knowledgeable people on this thread are giving us.

I really, really hope that this truly is wrong. It would be a disaster if Disney turned away guests with valid park reservations on New Year's Eve, either because they left the park at some point during the day or they showed up too late.

I booked a last minute trip to Disney for NYE! I'm super excited since in 25 years I've never gone that time of year. This will be my first Disney trip since 2020 and park reservations. I snagged the MK reservation for 12/31 since I would rather be there than Epcot that day. I changed my room reservation for the first 2 nights to Contemporary so I can walk to the park and avoid any vehicle traffic which I've read is horrible that day. I've never stayed there either or spent that kind of $$ on a room, but wanted the ability to monorail or walk. I am super excited about all of it!!

So here's my question - since my park spot is "reserved", can I leave midday, head back to my resort and then return in the evening for the fireworks? Or once they hit capacity (and will they hit it NYE?), do they block everyone from entering even if you have a reservation? Or do they hold some spaces? I called Disney and the nice lady told me she honestly had no answer; that on a normal day you would be let back in, but Christmas or NYE could be different and that their fire dept decides when no more people can enter.

Does anyone have experience with this since park reservations, or do I need to just hang out all day at the park to be safe?
Thank you!
I was there last NYE. I am sad to report that, in short, we were a bit underwhelmed.
I think you will be okay leaving and returning. That is what we did.
At first, the evening party atmosphere was fun. Going on the rides that were rethemed was fun. The lighting around the park was fun.

In the Hub though they only had 2 DJ's. REALLY unskilled DJ's. MK did play a NYE fireworks show twice that night. It was odd to hear a countdown/cheering well before midnight, but that was by far the better option. (We happened to pass near enough to the castle during the first show to hear the tail of it. )

We opted to see the midnight show. The hub DJ's were just truly terrible. Around the park they had a few other DJ's that were far better. The ones in Tomorrowland played fun music. The 'music' in the hub was mostly not any songs, just sorta club-style noise. Lots of thumping, sirens, repeating scream noise- over and over. Nobody of any age appeared to enjoy it, and the few songs they did play, were not Disney songs. They played the Macarena THREE times. Ugh! Nobody had room to dance it, though the terrible DJ somehow tried to insist otherwise. It did not go over well at all. (the ONLY single Disney song they played was What about Bruno.)

There were not enough CM's. The Hub got scary crowded, and about 11:45pm a group of adults tried to BODYSLAM there way into the very crowded Hub near us. They set off what was very nearly a crowd surge. Everyone all around us was shoved, including small kids, and it very nearly turned VERY ugly. No CM's were in the area. Somehow a very large man threatened some sense into them and they backed down. He very nearly got violent himself.

The CM's did not maintain an escape pathway in our area. There were no CM's near us. We very nearly left before midnight, but there was no path to exit. We were in the middle of too tight a crowd.

the DJ's were so terrible though that I think they gave everyone a headache. The park was open until 1am, and that last hour the rides were all walk-on. We did Seven Dwarves last, but only waited a few minutes for it, and walked on every other ride we had time to ride.

So the last hour was better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter