Expedition Everest Challenge 2014

A Stars Wars half would be fantastic-- I'd gladly try to ramp up my distances for that by May! I'm doing 5 miles a day 3 days a week right now and one shorter run on another day, plus one day with a personal trainer for strength training. The gym absolutely baffles me-- my trainer knows he has to show me everything twice before I can do it-- and sometimes I still forget what I'm doing in the middle lol.

The Registration for the 2013 Everest challenge opened up December 11,2012,I'm thinking of signing up for the 2014 race so I would think the website will probably update showing next years dates and race info sometime in the next month or so.Hopefully they'll have some more info at the ToT expo in 11 days.

This was the first race that DH and I completed, and he recently announced that he wants to do it again :) I'm just hoping that the dates don't change as it works with my schedule.

This was the first race that DH and I completed, and he recently announced that he wants to do it again :) I'm just hoping that the dates don't change as it works with my schedule.

I recently emailed rundisney to inquire and they confirmed those dates. I know "regular" Disney CMs aren't always 100% accurate though. She couldn't give me any info on when the race info would be posted.

Also, she said registration typically opened 8 months before a race which I think we all know isn't the case for Everest. So take this info with a grain of salt!

My DS and I did EE in 2012, he was a jr. in HS. We had a blast together and it was a special trip just for the two of us!

So of course my younger DD wanted to make it a tradition, that she got to go this year as a HS jr. So we've been planning it and talking about it and so excited! But then....her prom date was announced today, and yep...same weekend. We are both so bummed! Of course she is going to choose her jr. prom over this and next year as a senior, it will be too close and busy to graduation for her. And of course with the unknown of the future of the race...

Sigh, just disappointed! :(

From this month’s Eyes&Ears…

Under a History Article, Disney’s Expedition Everest Challenge made its debut on September 27, 2008. It was a morning race in the inaugural format and like today, was a 5k, obstacle, scavenger hunt race.

I sooo want to join this race. Looks super cool and I want the shirt and medal. Hoping it opens up soon! :)

The Wine and Dine race program was just released. The 2014 Everest race was noticeably missing from the program. Note that just 2 weeks ago, it was included in the ToT program.

The rumor of a new late spring race has been bounced around. I found through a well placed connection here in a local 5k that CA, FL and FRA definitely get race... but it was not clear if the two domestic races would be 2014 or 15. FRA is 2015, if everything stays on schedule.

I am fairly certain the Spring 2014 will be the new FLA race. It has been practice for a race to fall off a program before the race either dies or is replaced. My guess, a Star Wars half in the same time frame as the current Expedition Everest weekend.

Maybe they will keep the format or something, but as a former traveler to WDW and DL races, it was hard to travel for anything less than a half.

Hope they release info soon-- I need to increase my training schedule for a half! I can do a 5 or 10k no problem.

I just can't imagine a half in Florida in MAY! The potential for heat and humidity.... Ugh! Maybe they are just going to make it more of a terrain type race like tough mudders or something. Or a combination scavenger hunt in ak and a different race another day.

I thought of that, but really May is really not that hot along the Gulf coast and along the Peninsula as one would think. Really an early May half statistically cooler than an early October half. A little digging finds this year FLA had 13 half and longer events in April and 3 in May. As far as the 10k distance. This year there are 17 and 13 in April and May respectively in FLA.

So, what would a great Star Wars related number be? I loved the movies but never geeks out over them so I have no real vision of a magic distance that would tie into a SW related weekend. Ideas?

Was just checking out the runDisney website. It looks as though the DLR half weekend has been updated with the 2014 dates, but EE still shows 2013. I don't think it is looking very good :(

Was really looking forward to doing this with my DS10, if not, then I will just go to the wedding I was invited to. Lol

I thought of that, but really May is really not that hot along the Gulf coast and along the Peninsula as one would think. Really an early May half statistically cooler than an early October half. A little digging finds this year FLA had 13 half and longer events in April and 3 in May. As far as the 10k distance. This year there are 17 and 13 in April and May respectively in FLA. So, what would a great Star Wars related number be? I loved the movies but never geeks out over them so I have no real vision of a magic distance that would tie into a SW related weekend. Ideas?

Not sure about distance but Sunday, May 4th would be an appropriate date for a Star Wars race!

cewait said:
May the 'fourth' be with you

Winner winner chicken dinner

Lol!!!!

Ok, maybe this is where they finally put the storm trooper sweepers.

Or maybe so many celebrities have decided to run Disney races that they are creating a new show "running with the star...wars" and we will get to run alongside mark hamill and Harrison ford. (That might make me travel for a 5k).

How does Star Wars fit with animal kingdom though? Or do we think they are moving it due to AK construction?

Lol!!!!

Ok, maybe this is where they finally put the storm trooper sweepers.

Or maybe so many celebrities have decided to run Disney races that they are creating a new show "running with the star...wars" and we will get to run alongside mark hamill and Harrison ford. (That might make me travel for a 5k).

How does Star Wars fit with animal kingdom though? Or do we think they are moving it due to AK construction?

Avatarland seems to be a go and from what I heard its location is out near Rafiki's. That would explain the revision to the W&D 5k course. I keep looking to see if a marathon course revision has been certified to avoid that same stretch of DAK.

I would think that the poor DHS gets picked on for one more race.

I think runD is playing a game...

https://twitter.com/runDisney/status/386192196732338176/photo/1

The link just in case

I think a May the Fourth theme'd star wars run would be fun. If I had to tie a run to a star wars quote I would probably call it the Kessel run from the quote from Han Solo:
"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?... It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."

Was just checking out the runDisney website. It looks as though the DLR half weekend has been updated with the 2014 dates, but EE still shows 2013. I don't think it is looking very good :(

Was really looking forward to doing this with my DS10, if not, then I will just go to the wedding I was invited to. Lol

I just saw the program for the Wine and Dine race and it does not list Expedition Everest on it at all. mmmm

Oh, no :( Hopefully something pops up for that weekend and soon...we were planning a family trip with a number of us running before a week at the parks or a cruise. I am ready to start making plans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter