Expedition Everest Challenge 2014

Saw on RunDisney that they are recruiting volunteers for Sat May 3 for Expedition Everest Challenge.

Saw on RunDisney that they are recruiting volunteers for Sat May 3 for Expedition Everest Challenge.

I emailed Run Disney the other day because we are DVC members planning on doing the race. I have to make my reservations soon (don't rent a car, so trying to decide on Animal Kingdom or an Epcot resort if the race isn't on). I was told the race is scheduled for May 3, 2014. They told me we should have more information soon. So, we are booked at Animal Kingdom! They couldn't tell me which hotels are the host resorts this year, but Animal Kingdom seemed a safe bet.

Interested in hearing more details about previous obstacles and scavenger hunt, so I know what I'd be getting into.

I emailed Run Disney the other day because we are DVC members planning on doing the race. I have to make my reservations soon (don't rent a car, so trying to decide on Animal Kingdom or an Epcot resort if the race isn't on). I was told the race is scheduled for May 3, 2014. They told me we should have more information soon. So, we are booked at Animal Kingdom! They couldn't tell me which hotels are the host resorts this year, but Animal Kingdom seemed a safe bet.

Thanks for the info. We are DVC and also booking AKL today for early May and hoping the EEC will be that weekend and not cancelled, or moved. I will have to keep checking back!

As of ToT weekend, Everest is still on for May 2 and 3. It is even in the race program. Again, that is subject to change, as ToT did after the dates were published. Plus, it does say at the bottom, event and dates are subject to change.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/tower-of-terror/TowerRun13Program.1.pdf

However, after looking at the Wine and Dine Half program, EEC is no longer listed. I think the rumors of this race getting the boot is finally coming true, as long as it is replaced with a better, bigger, longer race, I'm happy. This rumor to me was more than that after a conversation two years ago that the 5th anniversary was supposed to be the last one with some of the rD organizers at WWoS during a separate unrelated event. Then the 6th one happened and assumed it was to delay until a new event replaced it, as I was told that it will not fall the fate of ESPN the Weekends 5k, removed with no replacement. Also, more money in the half events and early May is always yearning for more people.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wine-dine/Wine&Dine13_Program.pdf

I have several posts on this thread. I too believe that the weekend lives, just that an addition/revision will occur to the weekend. Evidence suggests that a longer distance race as the anchor will draw several thousand more guests to the resort. I would look for a tie to a larger drawing event such as Star Wars weekend.

As far as the question concerning obstacles, there really are not any true obstacles on course. Remember this is Disney not some military wannabe organization so the jump is really a hop and easily bypassed if a line has formed. Same with the other obstacles.

I have several posts on this thread. I too believe that the weekend lives, just that an addition/revision will occur to the weekend. Evidence suggests that a longer distance race as the anchor will draw several thousand more guests to the resort. I would look for a tie to a larger drawing event such as Star Wars weekend.

As far as the question concerning obstacles, there really are not any true obstacles on course. Remember this is Disney not some military wannabe organization so the jump is really a hop and easily bypassed if a line has formed. Same with the other obstacles.

Thanks. DH was concerned about obstacles. We aren't looking to do a Tough Mudder. :)

I really hope that this is the case. I have really enjoyed doing this weekend in the past, but I would much prefer a longer distance.

I really hope that this is the case. I have really enjoyed doing this weekend in the past, but I would much prefer a longer distance.

I agree, I would love a longer distance race. I was originally planning on doing just the 5k and would still do it, but a longer distance would be a great addition. I just want them to post some information already!

Interested in hearing more details about previous obstacles and scavenger hunt, so I know what I'd be getting into.

Thanks. DH was concerned about obstacles. We aren't looking to do a Tough Mudder. :)

Thanks! I was wondering, too! The website shows a picture of a cargo net to traverse and I was just trying to imagine ALL those people trying to get over it and how long it would take. Glad to know the obstacles can be bypassed if you wish :)

Last years obstacles were hay bails to jump over, tires to run through, and a net to crawl under. I only did the hay bails. The line for the tires was so freaking long that I skipped it and ran alongside the obstacle. I also bypassed the crawling bet as my back is bad. I had hoped for climbing cargo nets like in the pictures but nope.

I'm bad with scavenger hunt clues and needed help on two if the three clues. The volunteers kept encouraging me to solve it but after many failed attempts they gave me the answer. To solve the final blue I had to wait for DH to catch up as I was stuck.

Anyone have any idea when Disney might publish more information about the 2014 edition of this race? It's still not showing anything on runDisney's website.
I thought they open registration of December of last year and information was available well in advance of that.

I sent an email just the other day to RunDisney about the race. Specifically asking if it was going to be held in May and when registration would be ...below is the response I got -

Expedition Everest Challenge is going to be on May 2-3, 2014. The
race registration goes on sale in December.

If you have any further questions or concerns please call (407) 939-4786
or visit our website at www.rundisney.com.

Looks like it is still a go, but until registration comes out I won't make any non changeable plans

I sent an email just the other day to RunDisney about the race. Specifically asking if it was going to be held in May and when registration would be ...below is the response I got -

Expedition Everest Challenge is going to be on May 2-3, 2014. The
race registration goes on sale in December.

If you have any further questions or concerns please call (407) 939-4786
or visit our website at www.rundisney.com.

Looks like it is still a go, but until registration comes out I won't make any changeable plans

I got the same response a couple of weeks ago FWIW. Sounds like it's a go to me too.

I got the same response a couple of weeks ago FWIW. Sounds like it's a go to me too.
I got the same response pretty much. I hope it is still on. We already bought air fare. It was a hard decision- buy air fare and risk no race, or wait to buy and risk paying a lot more. At least this way we get our first trip to disney without kids since our honeymoon!

I wonder if there's any info on it in the Wine and Dine stuff from this weekend.

This the info I got when I called them too. I said there had been some rumors that the race was going to be cancelled and he said it was not true and registration would be open in December. Still very strange to me!

This the info I got when I called them too. I said there had been some rumors that the race was going to be cancelled and he said it was not true and registration would be open in December. Still very strange to me!

Have they ever waited until registration opens to update the run disney site? Seems strange but December is only 3 weeks away! I'm eager to plan and nervous to book airfare. Already booked DVC resort. :)

I don't know how much I trust the runDisney cast members on this haha. I called a while ago asking when they would update the page for 2014 and they said "no later than July".

Watching the run disney/new balance video for 2014 and they feature inserts for the races and one appears to be EEC... If it was not happening would they make? Or made months ago??? Was hoping it was another good sign

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter