First timers list of stuff

I agree.. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all!! I am planning our trip for January of 09 and have not been to WDW since 1993 and stayed off site.. I am so greatful to have found this site..the info here is fantastic!!!:cheer2:

We have been to WDW so many times and I have enjoyed reading all the extra information you all have posted. You learn new things each time. We are going the end of August and I have started planning already, DH thinks I go over board at times! I love the trading pin website and also the website for the autograph books. Keep posting great information!

Next trip: August 2008 - 177 days to go!!!

This is a great thread! All newbies should take note :cool1: I purchased the 2007 WDW Passporter from my local Barnes and Nobles when I planned my anniversary trip May 07. It was awesome and helped me keep a daily journal. It is like a daytimer for Disney fanatics. :yay: It has pockets, maps, phone numbers, you name it. I also purchased every book on the "World" I could find....My DH just shakes his head everytime a new book comes in the mail....There is nothing wrong with planning, planning and more planning. The more you know, the smoother it is.

I just got back from my most recent visit, (first time with the kids, DD 16, DS 19 and DS girlfriend 18) and found that using cell phones was a must. This made it painless when we split up. As much as I love them and want to spend every second with them, they needed "space" and everyone was happy! :lovestruc

I read a few posts back about the boats from dtd to one of the hotels. I'm wondering, if we take the boat from dtd to a hotel, how do we get from that hotel to our hotel?

I think you mean the ones like the Poly or the Grand Floridian. You might choose to take a boat there, for example, for dinner. Then you take the boat back to the Magic Kingdom and go on with your evening, and return to your hotel the same way you left it in the morning.

I found a website today called goodypak.com. They have lots of Disney stuff for sale, such as autograph books, lanyards, children's ponchos, scrapbooks, etc. You can even buy a themed pack of stuff for your child. They have pirate, princess, and Cars themes. They probably have others, but I can't remember. This may be a great place to get some fun stuff as you plan your trip.

I am planning our third family trip to Disney and I have planned, planned and planned, for each one--and loved every OCD second of it. I have got my spreadsheets, and my ADRs. Here are some things I did last trip.

I picked up activities at the dollar store to surprise the kids for the traveling part of the trip (we fly). They loved them; it gave them something to do and helped get us all in the vacation and family fun frame of mind.

I also take snacks/bars for them for these reasons--I will always have something on hand when they get hungry, and food can get expensive.

I gave each kid a disposable camera to take their own pictures. They enjoyed them. Can't say that I got great pics, at least not this first time.

In the past I have taken some pool/sand toys for the pool and beach area. That has come in handy when they are young.

Ziplocks, pintrading, stroller, misters--all necessities for us.

I read a few posts back about the boats from dtd to one of the hotels. I'm wondering, if we take the boat from dtd to a hotel, how do we get from that hotel to our hotel?
I think I read that you can take a boat from Port Orleans to DTD. But if that's the case, it doesn't help you with getting back to your hotel. The best (fastest, free) way from DTD to your hotel is by bus.

I give my son a "tatoo" just under his sleeve with my cell phone number using a sharpie when we go to amusement parks and such. He will remind me, "Mommy, I need a tatoo."

You can take a boat from DTD to (in order of closeness) Saratoga Springs Resort,Old Key West Resort,Port Orleans-French Quarter and Port Orleans-Riverside.You can then either take the next boat back to DTD and catch a bus back to your home resort there or you can take a bus from the resort you are visiting to the closest theme park to your home resort and bus,boat,monorail or walk(depending on your home resort)from there to your home resort.My usual routine is to take a bus from one of the theme parks to Port Orleans-Riverside,ride a boat from there down the Sassagoula River to DTD and catch a bus to my home resort at DTD.:)

Thanks, Brer Shay!
Loved your tip about bringing cards and a Sharpie for autographs. They'll be great additions to the photo album - Photos and autographs on the same page.

I put my kids in brightly colored matching outfits each day so if we get separated even a little bit they're easy to spot and easy to remember what they were wearing. I plan out each days outfits (including undies) and pack them in individual packs so on Tuesday I pull out Tuesdays bag and hand it to the kids to put on. No thinking required before my coffee.:coffee:
Also, I do a trip to the dollar store for $1 ponchos (which can be passed on or chucked in the garbage after used) and bunches of really cheap light up bracletts and necklaces (sp?). An over-the-door shoe holder helps control clutter in the bathroom. Photocopies of tickets and all reservation numbers can be invaluable. Good Luck I'll check back for more tips!!

I second, the over the door shoe holder, a cheap one, to hold travel size toiletries and anything that will fit in it. It organizes all of the little clutter and puts it in one spot where you can see it. Except mine did not fit over the bathroom door (WL) so I put it in the closet which I think was better because you could close the door and not have to look at it all of the time.

The other good thing I brought was a $1 pop up hamper (3 of them). We went during the summer and sweated through clothes like you would not believe. I knew this would happen, so I planned on doing a few loads of laundry while the kids and Dad swam in the pool. Bring small detergent and softener from home.

Oh, pack your clothes inside a small suitcase and then put that suitcase inside a large suitcase, that way you'll have an extra suitcase for souvenirs on the way home.

P.S. If any of these suggestions have been brought up already, I apologize I didn't read through to the end yet. ;)

OK, I scanned through all 5 pages.

Water misty fans are a must! Make sure you bring extra batteries from home. Afternoon breaks are a must during the summer months.

If you are going during an extra busy time, I highly recommend TourGuideMike.com! His park touring strategies are terrific! It costs $20 or something but it was worth it.

I bought a Baggellinni but I didn't care for it to much. I am not comfortable with the whole strap across the chest thing. The strap was also to big for me even on the smallest setting. It kept falling to far backward and annoying me. I would recommend a fanny pack for the kids if you think they will keep it on. Less for you to carry.

Gardengrocer.com! They deliver water, milk, cereal, snacks whatever you need. You don't need to be present for delivery. The hotel will keep the perishables in their fridge until you are ready for it to be delivered. We had a fridge in our room (WL) and put milk, yogurt and water and such in it. We had breakfast in the morning in our rooms while we all got ready and cold water for the parks. That way we didn't waste time and went straight to the good stuff.

We decorated our hotel door with decorations we made, with our disnames, etc. Lots of fun!

If I think of more, you'll be the first to know. :thumbsup2

I found a great list of the minimum height requirements for rides on allears. I added it to my original post, but here it is again: http://www.allears.net/tp/rr.htm I copied it onto a word document and saved it. As we get close to our trip, at least I'll have an idea which rides my youngest may not be elligible for and can make alternate plans for the two of us while my husband and 2 older kids are on those rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter